Четверг, 28.03.2024, 19:04
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 262 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 262 (St. Hesychius the Theologian)
Quote 262
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 24.03.2023, 22:48 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Whenever possible, we should always remember death, for this displaces all cares and vanities, allowing us to guard our intellect and giving us unceasing prayer, detachment from our body and hatred of sin. Indeed, it is a source of almost every virtue. We should therefore, if possible, use it as we use our own breathing.

St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem, disciple of St. Gregory the Theologian

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 28.03.2023, 14:32 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
I can say that I agree with this quote, but we should understand it correctly.

"Memento mori, we all know these words. They were pronounced by a Roman general who came with a victory after the war. This was done to remind that the winners are still people and are still mortal. It would seem, why should a person think about death at such a joyful moment?

We often resort to God when we feel bad, and less often when everything is going well. This quote reminds us that we should always think about death, but it does not mean that in a negative way. We should keep this in mind in order to live a decent life both in favorable periods and in difficult ones.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 21:58

yarovaya02Дата: Пятница, 31.03.2023, 12:04 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
"Remember the end of your life, and then you will never sin"

The great Father of the Church, St. Basil, in writing to a widow of his time, advised her that the person who always keeps in mind the day and the hour of the universal judgment (and consequently of death) as well as the account which one must give before the dreadful tribunal of the Judge, "will either avoid sin altogether, or may sin in entirely very few circumstances."

Fortunately, we have daily Church services, and especially the Divine Liturgy, which is the greatest help in drawing nearer to God. I think it could even be said that we receive Holy Communion because we remember death. In 1 Corinthians 11:26 St. Paul tells us that in celebrating the Eucharist we are proclaiming Christ’s death, and through His death we hope to enter eternity free from the passions and filled with love for God. Thus we pray before communing, “grant me until my last breath to receive without condemnation the portion of Thy Holy Things, unto communion with the Holy Spirit, as a provision for life eternal, for an acceptable defense at Thy dread judgment seat; so that I also, with all Thine elect, may become a partaker of Thine incorruptible blessings” (St. Basil the Great).

“Daily death” is precisely the picking up of the Cross, the following of the commandments. Fighting against our passions, which is dying daily, causes us suffering, as we love our sins in our fallen nature and want to cling to them, but in Orthodoxy we understand that Christ came not to wipe away our suffering, but to fill it with His presence, and thus it is salvific. Just as St. John says we must be mindful of death from the depth of our being, so suffering teaches us to find our heart, the depth of our being, because the presence of suffering is a witness to the existence of our heart.

marichernaya911Дата: Понедельник, 03.04.2023, 19:28 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I agree with the thought. Remembering our own death we are able more easily to put aside all our earthly cares. Everything that is minor and secondary loses its meaning before the face of death.

Remembering the death of our close ones helps us to be patient and merciful to them, as we understand
deeply, that this meeting, this talk, this word of ours, this glance and action can be the last thing we did to the person. Remembering this, we try to treat people around us carefully and love them, so that our relationships are full of truth, love and are pure enough to be seen by Christ.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 11:43

tsumskaa30Дата: Четверг, 20.04.2023, 21:16 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I agree with St. Hesychius the Theologian. The closer we are to death, the more vigilant we are.

Indeed, it is quite understandable why so many people come to God when they face a terminal illness. And many wonders are made by the Lord to show them that He really is omnipotent. That’s because when people realise that they are in the teeth of death, they begin to analyse their actions and mistakes and start thinking of what we are waiting for in the future life.

The same may be said about elderly people. In our churches they are the main parishioners. They can truly tell us that we shouldn’t care only about our bodies because they will grow old anyway. Elderly people can’t rely on their bodies as they are weak and feeble. Sometimes it is quite wondrous how these old people, who can’t even stand without feeling pain, manage to go to church almost every day. And at this moment we recall that a human being has also an immortal soul that will never die.

These examples prove St. Hesychius’s words about the importance of keeping in mind the fact that our bodies are about to go to their resting place. It helps us remember what really matters in our lives and what is just a vanity.

anastasiadregan864Дата: Суббота, 22.04.2023, 11:22 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
Many people are guided by these words: while you are young, live for your pleasure, and in old age you will repent. However, we will never know how long it is left for us to live on this earth. No one knows what hour of death is predetermined for him, so we need to live as if tomorrow will not come, be ready for defense before the throne of Christ.

If we start thinking this way, we will not sin, we will stop holding grudges against anyone and forget about collecting wealth on earth.

Abba Evagrius says: "Always remember the eternal Judgment, do not forget about the end, and your soul will avoid delusion."

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 17:03

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 26.04.2023, 01:44 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem, disciple of St. Gregory the Theologian, suggests that we should always remember death, as it helps us to focus on what truly matters and avoid getting caught up in worldly cares and vanities.  I cannot disagree with this judgment. Constant awareness of the inevitability of death can help us keep unceasing prayer, and detach ourselves from our body and sin. By doing so, we can develop almost every virtue, making it an essential tool for leading a virtuous life.

One example from the Bible that illustrates this concept is the story of the rich fool in Luke 12:13-21. In this story, a man who had an abundance of crops decided to build larger barns to store his goods, thinking that he could enjoy his wealth for many years to come. However, God said to him, "You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?" (Luke 12:20). This story serves as a reminder that our lives are fragile and uncertain, and we should focus on building up treasures in heaven rather than on earth.

In conclusion, St. Hesychius reminds us that death is an inevitable part of life, and by keeping this in mind, we can cultivate virtues that will benefit us in this life and the next. By focusing on what truly matters, such as our relationship with God and our pursuit of virtue, we can avoid being consumed by the cares and vanities of the world.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Среда, 26.04.2023, 01:45

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 20:18 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
St. Hesychius the Theologian's quote is an interesting perspective on the role of death in the spiritual life. To me, it expresses a profound truth that is often forgotten in our culture, where death is seen as something to be avoided or denied. I agree with St. Hesychius that the remembrance of death can be a powerful tool for spiritual growth and transformation.When we remember our mortality, we are forced to confront the ultimate reality of our existence. We realize that our time on this earth is limited and that we will one day face judgment. This realization can help us to prioritize what is truly important in life and to let go of the cares and vanities that distract us from our spiritual journey.

The remembrance of death can also help us to cultivate virtues such as humility, detachment, and gratitude. When we recognize that we are not in control of our own lives and that everything we have is a gift from God, we are more likely to approach life with a spirit of gratitude and service. We are also more likely to let go of our attachment to material possessions and worldly success, recognizing that these things are ultimately fleeting and unimportant. In my own experience, the remembrance of death has been a powerful tool for spiritual growth. Whenever I am faced with a difficult decision or a challenging situation, I try to remember that my time on this earth is limited and that I will one day stand before God. This helps me to put things in perspective and to make choices that are aligned with my values and beliefs.

posternaksophieДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 22:53 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
This quote is rather interesting and I fully agree with it. Since ancient times people have thought it important to remember about death. But why is it so important? Because it displaces all cares and vanities. When we remember that our time on this earth is limited, we are less likely to become attached to worldly possessions, ambitions, or relationships. We are more likely to focus on what truly matters in life: our relationship with God and our service to others. Moreover, the remembrance of death allows us to guard our intellect. When we are constantly aware of our mortality, we are less likely to be swayed by the temptations of this world. We are more likely to make wise decisions and avoid sin.

The remembrance of death also gives us unceasing prayer. When we realize that our time on this earth is short, we are more likely to turn to God in prayer and seek His guidance in all things. We are more likely to live each moment as if it were our last, and make the most of every opportunity to serve Him. In addition, the remembrance of death gives us detachment from our body. When we remember that our physical bodies will one day decay and return to dust, we are less likely to become overly concerned with our appearance or physical comfort. We are more likely to focus on the health and well-being of our soul, which will live on for eternity.

Finally, the remembrance of death gives us hatred of sin. When we realize that sin leads to spiritual death, we are more likely to avoid it at all costs. We are more likely to strive for holiness and purity in all aspects of our lives.

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 15:35 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
I go along with the quote of St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem, a disciple of St. Gregory the Theologian.

Indeed, remembering the hour of death is very important. First, because it is inevitable, we are born to die and live in eternity. Secondly, we must remember death, because this thought allows us not to forget that Judgment awaits us. After death, all our sins, flaws, vices will be condemned, as well as virtues and good deeds will be rewarded. Therefore, thoughts about death remind us that we must be ready to meet God, we must not be late to repent of sins and to improve our spiritual life.

All in all, we can say that death is an exam in some sense. If a person does not properly prepare for it, then he will “fail” it. So a person should not neglect thoughts about death, but diligently prepare to meet it completely ready.

abalakinan27Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 16:53 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
I cannot agree more with this phrase. Remembering death can be very helpful for Christians. We were born not for this earthly life but for the life of the age to come. Our present life is a journey and all of us are pilgrims. We should pass through all hardships with diligence and dignity. All wordly stuff with its hustle and bustle can mislead us. Yet having our last day in mind purifies our life.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 16:02

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 09.05.2023, 00:36 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
The ancient teach us: “Memento mori”. It seems that for modern people death is much more frightening than for our ancestors. We live in a world were dying is kind of hidden. At least it has been so.

Even though death is scary we need to remember it as it inevitably comes to each. It seems that there is nothing better than valuing your life in perspective of your own departure. What remains? What is indeed significant? All earthly cares are momentary. They flee as days, months, seasons, years and decades pass. Each day might be the last one. It may be hard and scary to think of yourself as ready to leave this earth, however the more we reflect on that the easier it is to forgive people and acknowledge your own sins.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 12:45

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 23.05.2023, 18:24 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
The meaning of this quote is very close to me. Thinking about death reminds us of the transitory nature of earthly life and the certainty of our own mortality. This helps us prioritize our actions and focus on what is really important in life. Through this remembrance of death, we can detach ourselves from worldly desires and develop a deep sense of gratitude for the present moment.

Thinking about death, about the finiteness of our lives helps to draw our attention to the future life that awaits us after death. This helps to focus on the importance of spiritual life - on saying prayers, visiting the temple and participating in the sacraments. It strengthens our faith and helps us develop a deeper sense of spirituality.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Вторник, 27.06.2023, 10:32

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 29.05.2023, 23:59 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник
I agree with these words and I believe that death reminds Christians that life on earth is temporary and finite. It helps us not to get too attached to material things and to strive for eternal values and spiritual development. Christians realize that death is a finite event, after which man will be met by God and judgment will take place. This motivates us to be true to our convictions and to follow God's commandments. We understand that earthly glory, wealth and success have no eternal value; true happiness and blessing can only be found through spiritual knowledge and fellowship with God. Moreover, the remembrance of death reminds Christians of God's mercy and salvation through Jesus Christ. Christ's death on the cross and His resurrection gives believers hope of eternal life and salvation from sin and death.

salomiagudovaДата: Воскресенье, 04.06.2023, 17:54 | Сообщение # 15
Подполковник
I fully agree with Saint Hesychius. Death is a part of life that no one can avoid, but still people often try to forget about it, which is understandable. Death is a sad and scary thing even for a religious person so it is no wonder that atheists often preach living one day at a time, enjoying today and not thinking about tomorrow. But if some atheists want to live their life to the fullest because “you live only once”, Christians believe in the life to come. And so, for us death is an important reminder that not only our earthly life will have an end but also that after that we will be judged for our sins. When we remember death, we remember about the next life and that we have limited time to prepare ourselves for it. So, when we remember death, ideally, we want to be better Christians, to be better people.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Воскресенье, 04.06.2023, 17:54

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 262 (St. Hesychius the Theologian)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024