Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 262
St. Hesychius the Theologian

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 03:34
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 262 - Страница 2 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 2 из 2
  • «
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 262 (St. Hesychius the Theologian)
Quote 262
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 24.03.2023, 22:48 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Whenever possible, we should always remember death, for this displaces all cares and vanities, allowing us to guard our intellect and giving us unceasing prayer, detachment from our body and hatred of sin. Indeed, it is a source of almost every virtue. We should therefore, if possible, use it as we use our own breathing.

St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem, disciple of St. Gregory the Theologian

alekssander-com29Дата: Вторник, 06.06.2023, 14:29 | Сообщение # 16
Подполковник
This quote is quite familiar to me, for some reason my Mother really liked it, so  I heard it quite often. As a child I used to dislike this quote and it`s variations, because it seemed to me really depressing. But, of course, as some time passed and I grew up, its true meaning started to be revealed  to me.

As I see it now, this quote emphasizes the importance of remembering death as a means to focus our minds and hearts on spiritual matters. The remembrance of death serves as a powerful tool for spiritual growth and transformation. Naturally, when I was a child it would seem to me horrifying, but  in the Orthodox tradition, the remembrance of death is not intended to evoke fear or despair, but rather to inspire a sense of urgency and mindfulness in our daily lives. By contemplating the inevitable reality of death, we are reminded of the temporary nature of worldly cares and vanities. This awareness helps us to prioritize the eternal and spiritual aspects of our existence.

Finally I would like to refer to the words of Christ from the parable about the Wise and Foolish Virgins: «Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour  in which the Son of Man is coming». (Matthew 25: 13)

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Среда, 14.06.2023, 00:36

bondarenkodv7Дата: Среда, 14.06.2023, 23:49 | Сообщение # 17
Лейтенант
I completely agree with this quote. St. Hesychius calls remembering death "a source of almost every virtue", because when we remind ourselves that we are mortal, we also think of God's judgement that awaits us after our death. This thought of judgement and the fact that our death could suddenly come at any moment, leaving us no time to repent of our sins, motivates us to combat them and lead a more virtuous life.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал bondarenkodv7 - Четверг, 15.06.2023, 00:45

sensualpie111Дата: Воскресенье, 03.09.2023, 00:10 | Сообщение # 18
Подполковник
St. Hesychius the Theologian's profound quote, urging us to remember death whenever possible, holds immense wisdom that resonates through the pages of the Bible and classic literature alike. In the Bible, we find the story of Lazarus, whose resurrection by Jesus serves as a powerful reminder of the transient nature of life. Lazarus, once dead and buried, returned to life, illustrating that death is an inevitable part of our human journey. By keeping death in mind, we are reminded of our own mortality and the need to live virtuous lives.

Classic literature also offers timeless examples of the significance of remembering death. In Shakespeare's "Hamlet," the character Hamlet grapples with the idea of mortality and death's inevitability throughout the play. His famous soliloquy, "To be or not to be," reflects on the existential questions surrounding life and death. This introspection ultimately drives Hamlet to seek truth and justice.

In conclusion, St. Hesychius the Theologian's advice to remember death is a timeless and universal truth that finds resonance not only in the Bible but also in classic literature and philosophical thought. By embracing this perspective, we gain clarity, prioritize virtue, and live with a profound understanding of our finite existence, ultimately leading us towards a life filled with purpose and spiritual growth.

Para Julia

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 262 (St. Hesychius the Theologian)
  • Страница 2 из 2
  • «
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024