Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 230
Blessed Jerome

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Вторник, 23.04.2024, 11:20
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 230 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 230 (Blessed Jerome)
Quote 230
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 18.02.2022, 22:18 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
The friendship which can cease has never been real.

Blessed Jerome

salomiagudovaДата: Понедельник, 28.02.2022, 16:41 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
I’m not sure that I can fully agree with Blessed Jerome. I mean, I see his point. Being a true friend means a lot of responsibility. A true friend loves you as they love themselves. A true friend is ready to die for you. There’s a good quote from the Gospel that comes to mind: «My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends» (John 15:12-13). If a true friend is someone who is ready to die for you, then surely that kind of friendship will never cease.

But something about this idea just doesn’t seem completely right to me. Yes, I agree that, ideally, «real» friendship shouldn’t cease at all. It’s a special bond that anyone would prefer to keep for the rest of their life. But then, should we dismiss genuine friendship that, let’s say, lasted for some years but at some point those friends drifted apart because they had grown or chan
ged? I wouldn’t say that what they had wasn’t real. Maybe, there are just different kinds of friendship and some are just lucky to experience this special type that lasts till they die.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Среда, 04.05.2022, 19:59

tukova0306Дата: Понедельник, 07.03.2022, 20:58 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант
Nowadays, any acquaintance can be called a friend. But from my point of view, a friend is a family. I mean, this is a person who is as important to you as any other member of your family. A person for whom you can sacrifice the most valuable, whom you will not abandon and whom you truly love. Friendship is like love for me. It is like a union of souls who are struggling with sins and together are looking for a way to salvation. And from my point of view if it is real friendship, then it is eternal and can never cease.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Понедельник, 02.05.2022, 19:33

zhuravleva369Дата: Пятница, 11.03.2022, 17:55 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
I can see the point of Blessed Jerome. If friendship is real, it can overcome any obstacles. Although I cannot fully agree with him. Sometimes God gives us friends, which are good for our growth at this particular point. But after you gave each other all the lessons you needed this friendship will end. It is not necessary that it will break down because of genuine misunderstandings or a huge argument. It can turn out to be a slow process. After some months, you will just realize that you are not close friends with that person anymore.

For me it does not mean that the friendship was not real and was not genuine. People can change and it is normal.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 19:53

valpet251Дата: Пятница, 01.04.2022, 19:13 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
I agree with the words of Blessed Jerome, who speaks of true friendship. The words of the Savior are recalled: "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." (John 15:13). The Lord does not call us to sacrifice our lives necessarily, but sacrifice must certainly be present in our relationships with friends and family. I think true friendship is not far from a marriage that cannot be dissolved if it is based on true, sacrificial love. The same is true with true friendship – if it is based on love, then no trials are to be afraid of. However my words are true only if we speak about true friendship which is rare now. In the case of ordinary friendly relations with people, it is probably normal to stop communicating. Of course, we cannot devalue such a friendship, which ends for various reasons. And not to call it friendship at all. But if it ended, then it means it was not  friendship for life, such friendship is a gift from God. This is when a friend becomes practically a part of the family.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 11:48

danil_naydenovДата: Понедельник, 04.04.2022, 22:34 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
It depends on the definition we give to the word “friend”. If we refer to the Scripture, we can say that “A friend loves at all times” (Proverbs 17:17). Judging by that, every true Christian is a friend to everyone. But does it really mean that if the friendship is ceased, it has never been real? I don’t think so. People can change, and even a person that has been a good Christian can give up his faith. But again, does it, in turn, mean he has never had any real faith? I’m inclined to answer negative. Unfortunately, people are weak, they all suffer from insecurities, and even the most zealous believers may have spiritual crises that can lead to complete collapse of all the good effort. But it doesn’t mean they hadn’t been once ardent champions of Christ. Everybody may have their own downfall, but it doesn’t mean we must devalue all the good intentions and all the faith that once was present. And though I have already moved quite far away from the main topic, the quote of blessed Jerome definitely gave me some food for thought.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Понедельник, 04.04.2022, 22:35

lopatinavarvaraДата: Пятница, 08.04.2022, 17:09 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
I don't quite agree with this quote. You can all a friend a person who supported you on a certain path of your life, and whom you supported. Very often you can meet a person with whom you have the same interests, but it may also happen that one of you may lose interest in a mutual thing, and on this basis you stop communicating. But this person was still important to you at a certain period of your life. Even this period of time, when you respected each other, loved and supported, can be called friendship. Of course, I agree that it would be ideal if you maintained a lifelong friendship. But sometimes it's impossible. I've had people in my life that I've talked to every day for months or years, but now we don't keep in touch, but I still think they were my friends.

Сообщение отредактировал lopatinavarvara - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 18:59

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 22:10 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант
Actually this quotation echoes with pain in my heart. I try to overcome contradictory thoughts. On the one hand I want to be a bit rebellious and say that sometimes there are situations over which we have no control, that sometimes we lack the strength to speak again and share common grief and joy, that’s why we lose the thread that bound us. It comes to my mind, when people have some kind of a spiritual or psychological illness, in such a state not rarely a person feels no strength to communicate. One may be afraid of opening one's heart or unwilling to upset the people who are close to you. One way or another, such illnesses separate you from others and you need to put an effort to defeat them. And this is not so obvious for others, which is why relationship may end due to misunderstandings from one or both sides.
On the other hand, even in the mentioned case it seems that both people haven’t put enough effort to keep the connection. But if we have the moral power to come to each other and explain why we’ve acted like that, I think it can be a new round of our relations.
Life is so complicated, so I wouldn't say that if a friendships has ended, it's surely because it was fake.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 21:36

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:35 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
I can only agree with Blessed Jerome. But there are some issues which should be mentioned. Here I want to draw a parallel between family and friends. There is an opinion that friends are a family which we can choose. But how can we know if we choose the right or the wrong person? As it seems to me, true friends are given us by God. They are sent on our way, somehow maybe even destined to us but it is to us to decide whether to make those our friends or not. So, on the one hand, God gives us some people that can become our true friends, on the other, some people are sent to test us. Our task is to recognize which kind of person we meet. And when we have wisdom to recognize this true person and have patience to build friendship with him, this friendship will never end, because what is given by God never ceases.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 20:04

dolysovacomДата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:22 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
First we need to figure out what friendship is?. Friendship is a personal unselfish relationship between people, which is based on a community harmony / communion of interests, spiritual closeness kinship / affinity and mutual affection. Friendship implies mutual respect, mutual understanding and mutual assistance. If friendship is really based on respect, mutual understanding and responsibility, then it is unlikely that this friendship will end. But if a person pursues selfish goals, then sooner or later this "friendship" will end.
I agree with these words. Moreover, friendship for me is when I am not afraid to speak my thoughts. It is vital that your friend be honest and truthful. And it means that your friend not always has to tell good things about you but sometimes criticizes you. And the main thing is that a friend does not envy you, but is happy for you.
It seems to me that if friendship is really dear to people, then they will find a compromise in any situation and will always be ready to forgive each other. Therefore, true friendship will not stop.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 12:21

zhovtyak1441Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 23:23 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
I can agree with this statement.
We can meet, make friends, get along with different people, but friendship arises when there is some fundamental basis. Even if a person has not one, but several friends, each of them will have a unique relationship, unlike any other. There is some mystery, something amazing and absolutely beautiful - in the very beginning of friendship, in its development. And it is very important not to lose it later, not to let it outlive itself.
But it happens that friendship is not real. We need to understand that when people go to football together, drink together, walk together, - this is not friendship at all, but just a kind of association, when people are connected not by the best that is in a person. Christianity certainly destroys this false friendship.

Сообщение отредактировал zhovtyak1441 - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 23:23

etenthousandg1Дата: Понедельник, 11.04.2022, 07:10 | Сообщение # 12
Сержант
This statement is complicated, and its reception will certainly depend on any individual person's experience of friendship. Personally, I am inclined to disagree with St. Jerome here. All humans are inherently flawed. We live imperfect lives, have imperfect relationships, and our communication in general is certainly highly imperfect as well. The eternal friendship blessed Jerome describes is a perfect friendship, one that can be possible, but is exceedingly rare. One of the wisest pieces of advice my father gave me, in my opinion, is that I should never expect such a friendship, or I will most likely end up being disappointed, bitterly. But contrary to the words of St. Jerome, I don't think that such imperfect friendships, that can end forever at any moment, are any less real. I think that they are often very much real, sincere, valuable and fruitful. And this is precisely why the moments when these friendships either shatter like crystal, or disperse like fog, are all the more tragic and painful for everyone involved.

Зипунников С. (Потерял пароль от старого профиля)

abalakinan27Дата: Понедельник, 18.04.2022, 13:03 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
I go along with this quote. True love is something everlasting. Moreover, friendship is indivisible from love, that is it lasts forever and cannot cease. A lifelong and firm friendship is a rare thing in our sinful and corrupted world. That's why the chance to meet a like-minded and devoted person is low. But those who are looking for such, will undoubtedly find them.
In addition to what have been said, it's virtually impossible to continue friendship after betrayal due to trust lost. And what friendship is without continuation?

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 02.05.2022, 18:53

katyadorniakДата: Суббота, 28.05.2022, 14:50 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник
On the one hand, I agree with the judgment of Blessed Jerome. It's quite clear: if you are friends, then you will be friends forever. Friendship is like love - it must make people better, endure everything and overcome everything. Often, even in the family circle, a person does not receive as much understanding and warmth as he receives in the circle of friends.

On the other hand, few things last forever on earth. Let's imagine two friends who have been inseparable since childhood. However, now one of them is a devoted Christian, and the other is a heathen and an enemy of the faith. How can they continue their friendship? The one shall be taken, and the other left (Matthew 24:40). But can we say that they were not true friends until their paths diverged? It's not for us to judge.
However, the thought of Blessed Hieronymus should be taken into consideration by those who want to understand whether they have been awarded the gift of true friendship.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 07:28

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 02.06.2022, 12:22 | Сообщение # 15
Полковник
I absolutely agree with this quote. I think friendship is one of the kinds of love. And we all know that: "God is Love" (1 John 4:8). In friendship we can fully show our kindness to another person, though he or she isn't our relative. That's my Christian view on this point.

And if friendship can cease that means that there isn't enough love. In this case, both sides should think about their behavior. I think that will help us in future in building our relationships with other people.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 15:03

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 230 (Blessed Jerome)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024