Четверг, 28.03.2024, 18:49
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 229 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 229 (St. Ignatius of Antioch)
Quote 229
readeralexeyДата: Четверг, 10.02.2022, 11:09 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Online
Do not have Jesus Christ on your lips and the world in your heart.

St. Ignatius of Antioch

salomiagudovaДата: Воскресенье, 20.02.2022, 20:21 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
Статус: Offline
I fully agree with Saint Ignatius of Antioch. He warns us against having Jesus Christ on our lips and the world in our hearts. Unfortunately, it is not as uncommon as one would hope. Some people can have Jesus Christ on their lips, that is, outwardly they appear to be very pious. They can talk about the Gospel and teach you how to be a good Christian. They can go to church every Sunday and give alms to the poor. And all the while they have the world in their hearts. For example, what they actually care about is not being a worthy Christian but what other people may think of them.

I believe that what is in your heart is much more important than what you have on your lips, what you allow others to see and hear. What you have in your heart is the truth. And we should strive to be good Christians inwardly first and only then outwardly.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Воскресенье, 20.02.2022, 20:22

tsumskaa30Дата: Вторник, 22.02.2022, 21:10 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
This statement may seem incomprehensible at first sight. All Christians are supposed to pray to the Lord, and monks usually try to have the Jesus Prayer on their lips.

However, the constant appeal to God may be wrong or even sinful. I suppose that saint Ignatius of Antioch warns us that we should think more carefully whether our prayer is worthy enough or not. For example, the laity usually come to Church, buy candles and pray to the Lord when they want to get something, especially something material - a well-paid job, more money, a new flat, and so on. It’s quite easy to understand because we live in the world.

Nevertheless, saint Ignatius suggests that we’d better keep away from the cares of the world. Indeed, when we live in vanity, we forget about our spiritual life. We don’t appeal to God begging him to forgive our sins and save us, but to get some silly things that will be absolutely useless after our death.

Even Jesus Christ said: “…Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!” (Mark 10:24).
Moreover, in the Cherubic Hymn we sing: “now cast aside all earthly cares”.

Therefore, saint Ignatius warns us not to make a flaw. Having prayer on our lips and worrying only about the cares of the world is definitely wrong.

tukova0306Дата: Понедельник, 07.03.2022, 20:56 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
I understand these words of St. Ignatius of Antioch in the following way. We may inadvertently deceive ourselves.  We regularly go to Church, participate in the sacraments, but at the same time there is no God in our heart. Worldly concerns fill our heart and there is no place left for the main in our life. To be saved, it is not enough to just formally belong to the Church. But it is really necessary to have a personal close relationship with God and be His obedient child not only in words but in deeds. We need to be like our Father, not just copy Him, but we need to be born from Him spiritually. This means that we should try to act and think as Jesus Christ during His life on earth. We must struggle with our sinful nature, grow in humility to be worthy of God throughout our lives. In conclusion I would like to say that it is essential for everyone to try to understand the deeper meaning of their life.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Понедельник, 07.03.2022, 20:57

zhuravleva369Дата: Пятница, 11.03.2022, 18:03 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
To my mind, St. Ignatius of Antioch is right. Unfortunately, there always will be people who are Christians only verbally. They spend their lives concerned only by earthly issues. It is wrong to think that we are not like them. Our modern world is too fast and has many distractions and temptations. I am sure it happened to everyone at least once. When you are standing at the service and thinking about your family or some problems connected with studying or work. Here is the danger.

We only have to give Sunday morning and a small number of prayers every day to God. That is not too much at all, although for many of us it is great labor. The good news is that we always can ask God for help even in this. If you feel that you are weak and easily distracted by this world you can ask Him to help you in prayers.

posternaksophieДата: Суббота, 12.03.2022, 12:05 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
This quote expresses a rather straightforward idea that has existed since the ancient times. The idea of being with God at first sight, but in fact being with the world was best told in the form of a parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector. The Pharisee looked pious and he definitely had God on his lips, but his prayer was less favourable to God that the prayer of the tax collector who had God in his heart.

It is a bit frightening to realise that in fact even people who regularly go to Church often have Jesus Christ on their lips but world at heart. During the Great Lent it's probably important to reflect on one's life and objectively assess, whether there's something in one's life to be changed according to this quote.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 21:07

valpet251Дата: Пятница, 01.04.2022, 18:50 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
We do not know to whom exactly these words of St. Ignatius are addressed, but we realize that he could say the same about ourselves: we are called to pray continually  (1 Thess.5:17), but we do not follow this, we are called to try to have peace with everyone (Heb. 12:14), but it doesn't work either. Therefore, let us remember this important reproach of St. Ignatius and understand that it is addressed not to anyone else, but to us. I agree with St. Ignatius of Antioch. We do not pray constantly, but we should at least try to get a little closer to this instruction. It's the same with the peace with everyone. By following these rules, we can get a little closer to the Kingdom of God.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 11:43

katyadorniakДата: Воскресенье, 03.04.2022, 13:43 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
The thought of St. Ignatius of Antioch is simple on the one hand, but at the same time has a double bottom. Let's try to consider two ideas that I see here.

Mentioning the name of God in vain is considered a sin. The only allowed time to pronounce His name is during prayer. However, prayer in which the heart does not participate is the same sin.

A person's heart will always be full of everyday thoughts and worries. This is our earthly vale. However, during prayer, we must completely renounce all worldly things and focus on communion with God. This, it seems to me, is one of the thoughts that St. Ignatius of Antioch puts into his statement. The second thought, it seems to me, is about man's love for God and the world. If God reigns in a person's heart, then He is always on his lips. But sometimes a person loves the world more than God, while speaking about his love for the Creator only with his mouth, but not with his soul. This is not just a lie - it is a sin and a great sorrow for God. Therefore, it seems to me that, if we cannot keep God in our hearts, 
we should not allow His name to appear on our lips. At least until we really love Him.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Воскресенье, 26.06.2022, 13:49

danil_naydenovДата: Понедельник, 04.04.2022, 22:33 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
Everybody knows that you can’t serve two masters.We’ve read about it in the Scripture, we have seen plenty of examples in history and literature. We can use an oversimplified metaphor: you can’t have your cake and eat it. That’s why we are presented a choice, what exactly to put our heart into. That’s the most important thing, because, actually, what you have on your lips doesn’t really matter. Furthermore, if you truly have Christ in your heart, your lips will never utter a bitter word. But still, having Jesus Christ on your lips but the world in your heart is much worse than to have the world both on your lips and in the heart. In the second case you at least stay true to yourself and don’t try to delude anyone, while in the first you become a complete hypocrite, which is, if you ask me, much deadlier for your soul than living in sin but at least acknowledging it in all its severeness.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 00:30

lopatinavarvaraДата: Пятница, 08.04.2022, 16:53 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
I completely agree with the quote of St. Ignatius of Antioch. It is much more important to have Jesus Christ in your heart than on your lips. Fortunately, I have not met people who were only seemingly correct and pious, but acted and thought absolutely terribly. Of course, a person's heart will always be full of everyday thoughts and worries, but during prayer we must completely renounce our worldly thoughts and focus on communicating with God through prayer. To honour God means to acknowledge the greatness and glory of God with all your behaviour, and to express your testimony of subordination and dependence on God.
I think what you have in your heart, in your thoughts and in your actions is much more important than what you say. We should strive to be decent Christians first internally, and only then externally.

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 21:56 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
I quite agree with these words of St. Ignatius of Antioch. I think that we all have met people who call themselves Christians, but deep inside their hearts they are not. They may go to church and pray, but all their actions are dictated by fear of what others will think about them or just in order to behave according to a norm which makes them in their own eyes and everyone else's a proper person. But in that case all their deeds, thoughts and achievements are insincere. In my opinion, one must have God in one's heart. The true belief doesn't need showing off, the true belief is not about the surface and others, but about the inner state of a human being.

AUDIO

Шебалкина Е.И.

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:33 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
This saying of St. Ignatius of Antioch is extremely wise and I totally agree with it. It is vital for Christians to follow this advice or at least to try to apply it. He expresses the idea which is constantly repeated in the Gospel: «If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions». (Matthew 19:21-22) Here we can see an example of a person who has world in his heart. He`s trying to follow God and his commandments but because of his concern about his earthly cares he can`t do it.
As it seems to me, St. Ignatius urges us to live by the following words of Christ: «Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?». (Matthew 6:26) It means that we should be concerned more about our soul and spiritual life than about our earthly life, and I believe that that`s what St. Ignatius of Antioch wanted to say.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 20:03

dolysovacomДата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:30 | Сообщение # 13
Лейтенант
This is a very accurate and correct statement, in my opinion.
I immediately remember especially "Orthodox" parishioners (elderly ladies), who rush to teach any beginner different superstitions. In most cases, this happens with some kind of irritation and hatred. All this is explained by pride. Thus, they repel the people who have come in the church. For them, the external state is important (where a person stands, what he wears, etc.) but no one knows what a person has in his soul, what brought him to the church.
Let's look at Sergius of Radonezh, who, along with the monks, as abbot, performed the same work, wore simple clothes. In a word, he was on a par with everyone. Sergius of Radonezh is a vivid example of a man who has Jesus Christ not only on his lips but also in his heart.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:30

zhovtyak1441Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 23:51 | Сообщение # 14
Лейтенант
I totally agree with this statement. St. Ignatius of Antioch was right saying that. I can add that if we really believe in God, we must give Him the first place in the soul. As Lord said "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me" (Matthew 10:37).

etenthousandg1Дата: Понедельник, 11.04.2022, 06:51 | Сообщение # 15
Сержант
The contemporary German philosopher Hans-Georg Moeller talks about how today we live in the age marked by 'profilicity', a structure of social organisation where we carefully curate and tailor our social identities that we present to others. I think that in light of this social reality, these words of St. Ignatius become more relevant than ever. Today we are, more than perhaps at any other time in history, vulnerable to hypocrisy. I think that St. Ignatius rightfully reminds us, that the only true faith is sincere faith, and if God is only on our lips, but not in our hearts, then something is terribly wrong. The Bible says many things about the dangers of hypocrisy, both in the New and the Old Testament. Since many others in this thread have cited Matthew in support of St. Ignatius of Antioch, I'll do the same. Matthew 6:1 says 'Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven'. It speaks of alms, but I feel like the spirit of the phrase is exactly the same: we mustn't be hypocritical and must be true to ourselves in our faith.

Зипунников С. (Потерял пароль от старого профиля)

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 229 (St. Ignatius of Antioch)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024