Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 228
St. Basil the Great

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Четверг, 25.04.2024, 11:17
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 228 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 228 (St. Basil the Great)
Quote 228
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 02.02.2022, 18:14 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
He who prays for others prays for himself.

St. Basil the Great

salomiagudovaДата: Среда, 09.02.2022, 21:57 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
I fully agree with Saint Basil the Great. Indeed, when you pray for someone else, it is also beneficial for your own spiritual life. Praying for other people shows that you care about their well-being. Of course, praying for yourself is not a bad thing. There’s nothing wrong with asking God to help you in some way. But, when it is genuine, praying for others shows that you’re not a selfish person. It means that you want another person’s soul to be saved. And that is a sure way to be a better Christian yourself and help your soul as well.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Среда, 09.02.2022, 21:57

tsumskaa30Дата: Суббота, 12.02.2022, 20:08 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
This quote may sound strange. But if we reflect on it, some profound ideas will appear.

First of all, let’s realise what a prayer for someone means. A person who prays for others can’t be selfish. Surely, he cares not only for himself, not only for the Salvation of his own soul. That means that he is able to be merciful, kind, to love those for whom he prays. If someone acts this way, he can be called righteous because he follows the main idea of Christianity. Jesus Christ said: “A new commandment I give unto you. That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another” (John 13:34). And, therefore, if he prays for someone, that is, if he loves people, he acts according to God’s will.

I believe that if this desire to pray for others is sincere, if love is true, this person may hope to be saved.

Consequently, I agree with St. Basil’s quote. If we love others, care for them, the Lord will see our heart and, hopefully, will have mercy on us.

tukova0306Дата: Понедельник, 07.03.2022, 20:54 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
There can be no doubt that prayer is one of the most significant part of our Orthodox life. It is an act of communication with our God. We all know that the goal for the Christian is salvation and that human salvation is impossible without deep relationship with God.When we pray for our neighbors, we fulfill an important commandment of God, the commandment of love. And we also show obedience and faith because we do not ask for ourselves, but rely on God.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 23:25

zhuravleva369Дата: Пятница, 11.03.2022, 18:04 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
I absolutely agree with St. Basil the Great. When we pray for others, we ask God to help them. I think that you can genuinely pray for someone only if you are not angry with that person. To pray for people we need to be in good relationship with them.

As we all know, if we forgive our neighbor, God will forgive us as well: «For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you» [Mt. 6:14]. Therefore, when we ask God to help others, he helps us too.

posternaksophieДата: Суббота, 12.03.2022, 11:37 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
This quote reflects perfectly what prayer is about.
Very often people are tempted by irritation towards others and there's no way to overcome it but by praying. When we pray for those who irritate us, we get rid of the irritation and thus pray for ourselves too.
Furthermore, by praying for others people can establish a better contact and relationships with God and so prayer is useful for these people too.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 21:05

valpet251Дата: Среда, 30.03.2022, 23:26 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
I fully agree with Saint Basil the Great. Indeed, St. Basil the Great, speaking about the benefits of prayer for others, refers us to one of the two greatest commandments: "Love your neighbour as yourself" (Matthew 22:39).
After all, prayer for others is a manifestation of our love for them, and therefore the fulfillment of the commandment. That is why St. Basil says that when we pray for others, we pray for ourselves.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Воскресенье, 03.04.2022, 14:23

katyadorniakДата: Воскресенье, 03.04.2022, 00:17 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
Prayer is an important aspect of a Christian's life. It allows us to communicate with God, rejoice about the future life and ask for forgiveness for the sins of the present life. Saint John Climacus called prayer the mother of all virtues. But what is the difference between praying for yourself and for others?
To begin with, there is nothing wrong with praying for yourself. No one but you will be able to atone for sins or ask God for something that no one else knows that you need. But when you pray for others, you don't just communicate with God. You are literally fulfilling the commandment "love your neighbor as yourself." Will not the merciful God, knowing our sincere intentions, read the desires of our soul and give us what we need most? For nothing is impossible for God.
Everyone can choose for himself whether to pray for himself or for others. But, according to St. Basil the Great, prayer for others allows us to realize ourselves as Christians to a greater extent. And I agree with him wholeheartedly.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 07:21

abalakinan27Дата: Воскресенье, 03.04.2022, 13:48 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
Frankly speaking, it's hard for me to get the main point of the quote and reflect on it. Maybe Saint Basil the Great considered the idea of self-sacrifice which is crucial in Christian life. One who prays for beloved ones denies and forgets of themselves. So why shouldn't God bless this prayer and grant His Divine Grace to him as well?

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Вторник, 05.04.2022, 17:44

danil_naydenovДата: Вторник, 05.04.2022, 01:13 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
First of all, what is prayer? When we pray, we usually ask God for mercy, we ask Him to forgive us our sins. But why a prayer for others should be somehow different? When we sincerely pray for others, we show that there is no place for anger and resentment in our soul. Although we ask God to have mercy on others, it helps us by cleansing our soul from vicious thoughts. In our prayer we learn how to love others according to the Scripture, and that in turn benefits our own faith and strengthens our spiritual powers.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 00:31

lopatinavarvaraДата: Пятница, 08.04.2022, 16:39 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
I believe that praying for other people is possible and even necessary. When we pray for others, we fulfill the command of the New Testament. Prayer for others directs our attention from ourselves to the needs around us. By helping "each other in difficulties", we fulfill the "Law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2). Also in the New Testament there is a phrase: "And as ye would that man should do to you,do ye also to them likewise. (Luke 6:31) This thought is the main principle for all people who want to live in holy communion with God. It expresses the fundamental principles of purely Christian relationships between people. But prayer is primarily a need of the soul, a direct expression of love for a loved one, and not a competition to make yourself better.

Сообщение отредактировал lopatinavarvara - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 00:53

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 18:55 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
I think this quotation of St. Basil the Great contains deep meaning representing the real way of Christian life. Praying is one of the most important parts in daily routine of a faithful. The second commandment says love thy neighbor as thyself. So that's why it is very crucial to pray for others. Praying for others strengthens our bond with them, and it also strengthens our relationship with God. Caring about others' lives also influences ours. To my mind, praying for others is also the way of showing our concern and love towards all people.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 21:37

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:29 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
I totally agree with St. Basil`s saying. I believe that this quote is not only about prayer but also about other things. It is one of the sayings that contain the essence of Christianity. This quote resonates with the dialog between Christ and Sadducees: «Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang tall the law and the prophets». (Matthew 22: 36-40) So as it seems to me, St. Basil`s words in general are about Love for other people. Also here I want to mention the Orthodox tradition of Jesus prayer. Originally is says «Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner». But as I noticed, more often Orthodox Christians in Russia change the last words. They say: «Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us, the sinners».

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 20:05

dolysovacomДата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:36 | Сообщение # 14
Лейтенант
I agree with this opinion. It seems to me that there are few people who pray only for themselves. All people have relatives or friends, some of them are acquaintances who are ill or in a difficult life situation. So there is always someone to pray for. We are all connected, so prayer for others is very crucial. It seems to me that a person who prays for others gets more than when he prays for himself. Praying for others means wishing well for your neighbor, taking care of him. And this is one of the main commandments.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 23:51

zhovtyak1441Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 23:56 | Сообщение # 15
Лейтенант
I totally agree with St. Basil the Great.
Jesus told us to pray in His name (John 14:13-14). If you do something in the name of someone, it means that you are doing it in the interests or according to the wishes of that person.  Now we are beginning to understand why it is important to pray for other people. Prayer is not about getting everything we want, or for our loved ones to always be healthy, safe and not face problems. Prayer is a powerful means by which we recognize our Savior and which also unites believers. Effective prayer for others brings us closer to God because it is based on knowing His will (1 John 5:14). It also brings us closer to other people as we learn more about them and focus on their needs.

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 228 (St. Basil the Great)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024