Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 221
Saint Paisios of Mount Athos

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 10:18
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 221 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 221 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
Quote 221
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 23.10.2021, 15:05 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Everyone has the responsibility of understanding the deeper meaning of life... If they did this, then people wouldn’t be mean and petty, nor would they grumble with one another.

Saint Paisios of Mount Athos

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 27.10.2021, 09:55 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
All people are interested in the meaning of their life. This desire is natural because even children like asking their parents “why”. Moreover, we should seek for the deeper sense of life, as saint Paisios put it.

The Lord created human brain so that it is quite sophisticated, and that is not in vain. We should develop our gifts that are given to us by God. And it is remarkable that through constant prayer, labour and self-development we come to the thought that a human being is a great creature of our Lord.

When we are pondering about the sense of our existence, we realise that man was created in God’s own image and after His likeness. We were created for the Everlasting Life. But man committed a sin, and corrupted the high idea of our Creator. However, the Lord continues to take care of us, that’s why the Father sent his Only-Begotten Son to the earth to redeem mankind and save those who want to be saved, who want to be with Him in the Heavenly Kingdom.

Therefore, the purpose of our life may be compared to the state of the baby when it is in the mother’s womb. As the infant is to be born into our world, so we are to be born to the eternal life with God.

If we understand this simple but vital conception, we will come to the conclusion that people aren't petty because God has a sublime aim for everyone of them. Moreover, if we see this mission, we realise that there is no place for grumbling and quarrelling with each other. For example, I suppose that saint Seraphim of Sarov always saw the image of God in every person, and so he greeted everyone with the words: “my joy”, and smiled sincerely.

I believe that saint Paisios of Mount Athos had the same idea, so I absolutely agree with his words.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Суббота, 06.11.2021, 10:04

katyadorniakДата: Четверг, 04.11.2021, 19:19 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I agree with the opinion of Saint Paisios of Mount Athos. Everything that happens here and now, on Earth, in our earthly life, is ridiculously ridiculous and unimportant. All our achievements like grades, wealth, reputation, appearance and the number of likes in social networks - all this is terribly meaningless if we remember the prospect of eternal life. All our troubles, mistakes and awkwardness - none of this makes sense if we remember that life is something much deeper.

Each of us must realize this for ourselves. We cannot inspire this awareness to in others, we need to understand it ourselves in order to make our spiritual life better. Then the world will be a better place.
Of course, a person cannot once and for all abandon the petty worries of the world. It's a gradual process, but by God's grace we can master it if we really want to.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Пятница, 05.11.2021, 12:44

abalakinan27Дата: Пятница, 05.11.2021, 17:14 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Each of us realizes the sense of life with the help of Christian doctrine. But, unfortunately, it generally happens only in the abstract. We might, all the same, commit sins and continue acting bad, bustling about, caring not of our souls. Nevertheless, we should be purposeful, not slumbering and wondering but should have sober minds with the remembrance of God and our finiteness, then in that case it would be easier to live a fulfilling life.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 22.11.2021, 19:59

zhuravleva369Дата: Суббота, 20.11.2021, 16:24 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
I like the word responsibility which is used by Saint Paisios in this quote to draw attention that it is necessary for all of us to understand the deeper meaning of life. I agree with the point that there is a connection between this ability and our attitude towards people around us. If we are concentrated only on small earthly affairs and shallow thoughts, it is easy to lose yourself. But if we remember the goal of our life, which is deification, we will act in a completely different way in our daily life.

Taking this responsibility we ask God to help us cope with it and He as a loving father definitely helps us. I think that is why many Saints are actually examples of good-hearted and helping people. They understand and remember the deeper meaning of life and God grants them the power to save, not to destroy.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Суббота, 27.11.2021, 00:34

danil_naydenovДата: Среда, 24.11.2021, 23:18 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
Well, I have seen a lot of people, which get themselves busy with petty things that surround them much more than with things that truly matter. While some people are just ignorant, some are afraid of the meaninglessness of our life on earth. But whether we acknowledge it or not, each of us must take that responsibility for understanding, for striving, for exploring the depths of our souls in search for the consolation that is always there. Some people also try to put inside their heads things that don’t belong there. They try to create meaning out of nothing, to convince themselves of the solidity of their ideology, which becomes a substitute for something greater that people unfortunately lack. People set elusive goals, get into ideological and political fights, which often put friends on opposing sides. All of that is so vile and quite often inhuman, that I cannot argue with saint Paisios on that topic.

Mistakes are corrected

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 00:36

mariabrkДата: Четверг, 25.11.2021, 23:53 | Сообщение # 7
Сержант
I cannot agree more with these words. We waste our time thinking about what we should treat ourselves to or quibbling over trivial matters. But all of these issues are so unimportant compared to what we might inherit in the life of the age to come.

Unfortunately, we take things for granted. Our relatives and our job, for example, are not at all flawless, people are sometimes mistaken and we cannot pass by without criticising or reminding them of that. However, there are such beautiful and sobering words (I cannot remember their author) that if only we always remembered that it might be the last minute of this person, who you love but who you are arguing with at this moment, being alive, you would never start this quarrel. If only we always stuck to the words of God ('But seek first His Kingdom and His Righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.' Matthew 6:33), our life would be different. We would be kind and generous and always at ease because God would be on top of our priorities and everything would be in its place. Let's remember it.

P. S. It really works. I mean, I've tried to live this way and it was way better. But you have to get used to it. And do not forget to pray, of course. You have to control your reaction to the situations that irritates you, for example, and remind yourself of that it's not a big deal, I can handle it with God's help and Love and that my love to my close ones and peace within the family (for example) is all that really matters.

Сообщение отредактировал mariabrk - Понедельник, 13.12.2021, 13:59

posternaksophieДата: Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 19:49 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
Everyone has the responsibility of understanding the deeper meaning of life...
If they did this, then people wouldn’t be mean and petty, nor would they grumble with one another.

This saying is absolutely true and I could not agree more with it. In the Beatitudes it is said that "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied". In my opinion this quote correlates with these words as if one seeks to see God's righteousness and thus meaning of life will probably not understand it to the full, as only saints were capable of this [?]. But the effort is what counts too and it is vital to seek the meaning of life and God's righteousness. Psalter refers to this idea a lot of times and it is everyone's responsibility to find their own way to understand what the deeper meaning of their life is. Humans are capable of understanding this meaning to a certain extent and it definitely leads to a peaceful and happy life.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Вторник, 30.11.2021, 14:19

valpet251Дата: Вторник, 30.11.2021, 02:46 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
I fully agree with the statement. The Lord has given man the freedom to choose how to live. This is the greatest gift, but also the greatest responsibility. St. Paisius warns and encourages us to think about the meaning and purpose of our life. The Lord, appreciating our freedom, did not oblige us to think about it, but if we thought about it, our life would reach a new level, where there is no place for petty tricks and grumbling, but there is a desire for the highest goal of our earthly journey.

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 01.12.2021, 21:49 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
The meaning of the life is a thing all people want to know. I like the meaning of the first sentence of the quote, but I can't agree that it is our "responsibility". Since all people have free will, we can decide what to do and what our responsibilities are. To find the "deeper" meaning of life is a very difficult task for simple people. I think this is the responsibility for theologians.

I fully agree with the second part of the quote. I like the idea that is hidden in this sentence - how your personal meaning of life affects other people. For Christians it is especially so. This is some kind of paradox: you are looking for the meaning of life and think that it will help you but it will help other people more.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 19:07

7109633Дата: Пятница, 03.12.2021, 17:27 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
I cannot say that there is something wrong with the opinion of Saint Paisios of Mount Athos, but it seems to be a little bit simplified. As many people who wrote their opinions before me I can only repeat it and say that every single person seeks for the deeper meaning of life, but it is not stated what exactly this meaning sounds like. Due to the corruption of our nature, due to the fact that our world was separated from the full unity with God I believe that the deeper meaning of life became vague for humanity. That's why some of us are closer to it and some are further and we cannot prove to each other why one way is better than another. To my mind the deeper meaning of life would be understood if people weren't mean and petty to each other and learnt how to listen to one another and try to understand different opinions, approaches and philosophy. Understanding of life is something we should seek together and yet we do it more like a competition.

Audio

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Суббота, 04.12.2021, 19:45

dolysovacomДата: Пятница, 03.12.2021, 19:43 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
Without any doubts a person who has come into world is responsible for his life. And even if he doesn’t know God or the Orthodox Church, he will still just ponder, reflect on the meaning of life. It would be completely irresponsible, terrible and simply foolish if this person didn’t at least try to find the right answer to this vital question. And if people ponder about the most essential thing for them, I mean, the essence of life, they would not have time to think about how to cheat or take the best for themselves. It seems so obvious, but still there is an overwhelming number of mean and petty people on earth. Why is it so difficult to keep this main question in mind? I think this is because people are drowning in everyday worries and routine, and some have despaired of finding an answer and live in ignorance.

Audio

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 21:24

tukova0306Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 15:41 | Сообщение # 13
Лейтенант
Nowadays we turn in the whirlwind of entertainment and diversions, not allowing ourselves to collect our thoughts and contemplate our inner state, our soul. Everyday worldly concerns make us forget the most important thing, our great goal, salvation. It is really important for everyone to try to understand the deeper meaning of their life.

And people who try to know the truth can be considered happy.
But people who experience life only in a worldly way are spiritually poor
and unhappy. Usually such people are not satisfied with their lives. They are selfish, rude, envious and subject to all kinds of negative emotions which they temporarily try to drown out with the help of worldly joys. These people watch life from the sidelines and they are jealous of happiness of others who are able to enjoy simple things. People who live spiritually understand the meaning of life.
They try accept bitterness with joy and humility. They simply accept
things for the way they are, and do not demand changes from someone else, but try to change themselves. These people have an understanding of what is happening around them and they are aware of their place in this world. And we can say that such people are truly happy.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 14:51

vernik04Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 22:17 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
I cannot agree more with St. Paisios’s point of view. People look for the meaning of life, but they usually find it in earthly things. It’s money, relationships, career. But if people try to look closer, deeper, they’ll find out that the meaning of life is bigger than those things they try to acquire. God gave us freedom, He gave us sophisticated mind that should lead us to understanding of this bigger aim of our life.
Earthly things make people compete and grumble with each other in order to get them, but deeper things never do.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 16:41

bondarenkodv7Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 22:33 | Сообщение # 15
Лейтенант
I agree with the words of Saint Paisios – understanding the deeper meaning of life is extremely important. But amongst all the earthly vanity and rush, most people (and even most Christians) don’t bother to think about it or adopt some broad widespread idea, like “we should search for happiness”, or “internal peace”, or “we should do good things”, etc. And while some of those might be partially true, they aren’t nearly as deep and precise as the core meaning of life should be.

To get to the full and true meaning of our lives, we must remember how human beings ended up in this earthly existence in the first place. It is as follows: first people, Adam and Eve, had to abandon paradise and settle outside of it because they had sinned and their souls could no longer be there, near God Himself. And our whole path on Earth, from our birth to our last breath, has one meaning: to restore this connection with God, to make our souls ready to reunite with Him and settle near Him in the Heavenly Kingdom. So it would only be natural for all people to stop being mean and petty to each other if they understood that, as those actions disrupt our souls and hinder our efforts to fulfill the meaning of life.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал bondarenkodv7 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 18:46

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 221 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024