Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 216
Elder Herman of Mt. Athos

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 20:12
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 216 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 216 (Elder Herman of Mt. Athos)
Quote 216
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 17.09.2021, 14:36 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Humility is the only thing we need; one can still fall having virtues other than humility -- but with humility one does not fall.

Elder Herman of Mt. Athos

mariabrkДата: Пятница, 24.09.2021, 14:02 | Сообщение # 2
Сержант
Humility is one of the steps on The Ladder of Divine Ascent, or Ladder of Paradise by St. John Climacus. He places it closer to the end of the Ladder which means that it’s difficult to achieve and it’s vital in order to reach the Heavenly Kingdom.

Elder Herman of Mt. Athos draws our attention to a very peculiar and simple but so important thing. We will keep sinning if we give alms, help those who are in need, pray, and so on for there is our huge ego, self-importance in our heart. When we are proud of our good deeds and think what good Christians we are, then we negate the value of everything we have done at once. Humility grants us the opportunity to turn a blind eye to our virtues and never to forget about our imperfections. I have experienced it myself. When you think too much of yourself, you make things worse for yourself and our loving God kindly opens your eyes to the way things really are and He always reminds us about humility in the Gospel ("Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matt. 11:29).

Сообщение отредактировал mariabrk - Суббота, 04.12.2021, 23:47

salomiagudovaДата: Воскресенье, 03.10.2021, 16:51 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник
I fully agree with Elder Herman of Mt. Athos. In one of my previous essays I talked about vainglory. I talked about how not only vainglory was bad in itself but how it could also belittle our good deeds. For example, when you do something good, it can lead to vainglory because you think that you are better than others.

And humility is the opposite of vainglory. And if vainglory is what can ruin our good deeds than truly humility is the only thing we need. If we do something good, humility will help us to avoid vainglory. With true humility we won’t fall. Humility can help us to endure our trials. And it applies to everything, from very small and trivial things to big and important. For example, if you argue with someone, humility could help you to step aside, let the other person win and still avoid vainglory.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Воскресенье, 03.10.2021, 16:52

tukova0306Дата: Понедельник, 04.10.2021, 09:31 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
I fully agree with Elder Herman of Mt. Athos. Indeed, humility is one of the most  significant  parts of our Orthodox life. We all know that the goal for the Christian is salvation and that human salvation is impossible without deification that can be achieved through humility. We know that humility is a divine property and the perfection of our christian life. And we really need to grow in humility if we want to unite with God.

And it is significant to note that this union can be attained only through obedience. The man who is not obedient to God cannot gain humility. To be saved, it is not enough just formally to belong to the Church. But it is really necessary to have a personal close relationship with God and be His obedient child not only in words but in deeds. We need to be like our father, not just copy Him, but we need to be born from Him spiritually. This means that we should try to act and think as Jesus Christ during His life on earth. We must struggle with our sinful nature, grow in humility to be a worthy child of God throughout our lives.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 15:59

danil_naydenovДата: Среда, 13.10.2021, 20:35 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
Christ taught us humility. He did not resist, but took His cross and was crucified. We may see clearly why humility is so important if we take a look at its opposite – vainglory. Vainglory is the sin of Lucifer, for he was banished from heaven because of it. He thought he could compete with God, could be superior to Him and remove Him from His throne. Again, in the guise of a serpent, Lucifer seduced Eve appealing to her vainglory. He promised her knowledge and power, told her that she and Adam would be “like God, knowing good and evil”. And what is it, if not a hidden lust for power that led first people to pain and death? And now we come back to humility, a thing that our distant ancestors lacked. Isn’t it truly the most important virtue, with which one does not fall? Judging by the examples I have given, the answer is obvious.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Воскресенье, 24.10.2021, 18:21

antonryadinskiДата: Воскресенье, 17.10.2021, 23:24 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
What is humility? As one of the answers, I would say that it is our pure love to God. Our love and our decision to follow Christ  no matter what happens in our life. And as we know: "Love never fails" (1 Corinthians 13: 8). So humility does not fall.

And there are no virtues higher than humility. I think, the faith starts with the humility and if we lose it, our faith will disappear. It is the virtue among virtues I would say. We should be taught  humility as Christ taught his disciples and never hesitate in faith so it doesn't fall.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 12:44

katyadorniakДата: Четверг, 04.11.2021, 01:48 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I agree with the idea of Elder Herman of Mt. Athos. Just as pride is the mother of all vices, so humility is the mother of all virtues. The Holy Scripture confirms this idea: "God resists the proud, and gives grace to the humble" (1 Peter 5:5).

On the other hand, no virtue can serve the purpose of saving the soul without love. Without sincere love for our fellow men and the Lord, humility will not be able to save us. The best choice for a Christian is to start his journey with exercises in humility and love, combining these two virtues.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

zhuravleva369Дата: Воскресенье, 07.11.2021, 16:42 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант
I can fully agree with Elder Herman's opinion. I think that humility is the most necessary virtue for all of us, but at the same time, it is the most difficult to develop in yourself. Having humility means that you can fully trust God, that you do not have any fears about your future and any sorrows about your past, as you know that all you are coming through is from God who loves you.

Having humility also means that you have destroyed your pride which is one of the heaviest sins. Pride can overtake any of us, but not those who have humility.

dolysovacomДата: Четверг, 11.11.2021, 14:56 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
After reading the quotation of Elder Herman of Mt. Athos, the question immediately came to my mind: what is humility? As for me, I believe that humility towards God is a vision of your sins, hope only for God's mercy, and love for Him.  Humility is the desire to subordinate your will to God's holy will, and accepting all difficulties as your cross that you have to bear as our Lord bore His cross. «The greater thou art, the more humble thy selfe, and thou shalt find fauour before the Lord». (The Book of Wisdom of Jesus, the Son of Sirach, 3:18).  But is humility the main virtue? Frankly, I can’t clearly answer this question.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Вторник, 16.11.2021, 09:33

abalakinan27Дата: Среда, 01.12.2021, 20:40 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I’d go along with the quote as it is unthinkable to be a Christian without humility. Since the dawn of history men oppose this virtue to pride. This idea came from Christ’s words which state: «For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted» (Matt 23: 12). Going further, we see the same in the epistles of apostles who the Holy Spirit spoke through. For example: «God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble» (James 4:6). Moreover, talking about philosophers, it was quite obvious during the Enlightenment that pride diminishes people. It makes people mean, passionate, arrogant and full of themselves. Even if they do good, is it really necessary for God? What do they do it for? For indulgence of their passions? For receiving from someone a good estimation of them?

From my own experience I know that from that lack of humility proceed other sins: disobedience, envy, imitation of others and condemnation. It seems to you like you’re mightier than God and the world is your oyster but it is not a fair thing to assume because you could be at risk of forgetting God and His power.

AUDIO

3 / 1

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 14:59

alekssander-com29Дата: Четверг, 02.12.2021, 14:10 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник
I quite agree with this saying, but I want to clarify the meaning of humility. Often people confuse humility with average inaction. First of all, humility is trust in God and his Will, which is only possible with great love for God. Our earthly life is stuffed with different challenges and crucibles and humility is the beam that helps us not to drown in sorrows and self-pity. Because with it we see God`s will in every incident which happens with us.

But, once again, humility isn`t equal to inaction.  If we see that the Lord leads us to salvation and we trust him, we don`t grumble about our life (which is impossible in the case of inaction), but we take his hand and follow him taking all the difficulties gratefully, for he said: «My yoke is easy, and my burden is light» (Matthew 11:30).

--
Дяченко Александр

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 22:25

bondarenkodv7Дата: Суббота, 04.12.2021, 17:08 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
I fully agree with Elder Herman’s words. Humility, above all other virtues, keeps one from spiritual fall because it defeats pride and arrogance. And those, if you think about it, are at the roots of all sins – they all begin with thoughts that you are more important than others, that your needs and wishes should come first, that you know what to do better than anyone else. Even if someone has all the virtues except humility, he still isn’t safe, as those venomous thoughts will creep into his mind, telling him that he is the most pious, that he is so much better than all those sinners around him, and this will eventually lead to his demise.

But humility combats this venom and doesn’t let is spread, because a truly humble person will never put his needs above the needs of others or his own wishes above God’s will. That is why it is so crucial for us all to follow this timeless advice and nurture our humility above any other virtue, as it is our shield against the root of all sins.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал bondarenkodv7 - Суббота, 04.12.2021, 17:09

7109633Дата: Суббота, 04.12.2021, 17:41 | Сообщение # 13
Лейтенант
I see the point of Elder Herman's opinion and quite agree with it. Indeed the sin of pride is thought to be the worst one among the seven deadly sins. I don't share the idea of the hierarchy of mortal sins, but the existence of it is an evident proof that people feel a special burden of pride which can be found in less expected cases. Thus, humility is the first and only thing humanity needs to defeat various evils. And thinking more about humility one can clearly see how it can prevent a person from falling. This miraculous feature of character makes it rather hard for sins to tempt a human as all with what they may appeal a soul won't be needed by a humble person.

The only thing which concerns me is that true humility can be confused with servility or with being a victim of emotional abuse. In both cases people endure bad attitude towards them, but for me this is not a humble behavior. Being truly humble usually is aimed at inner self and requires its control while those cases above are aimed at those who suppress the weak and at serving them.

Audio

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 12:57

vernik04Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 23:34 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
I fully agree with Elder Herman. Indeed, a person cannot fall if he is humble. Pride is the mother of all vices, and humility is the mother of all virtues. If you are kind, brave, merciful - all this is nothing, if you are proud and self-satisfied, even if you have reasons for it. But even if you are not very brave, not always generous and cannot compare in virtue with your peers, at least you realize that you are not right in everything. The mere realization of your unworthiness can raise you up in the eyes of God.

Be humble, and nothing can hinder your spiritual growth.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 16:44

nastenatlt98Дата: Понедельник, 13.12.2021, 10:25 | Сообщение # 15
Сержант
I can say that this is a rather difficult statement for me to understand. How can a person not fall, having only humility? Perhaps this virtue is really very important, because when a person humbles himself, the difficulties and joys of life are somehow easier to bear. I mean, you understand that difficulties are sent to us by God, and when you are praised, you understand that you have achieved something thanks to God's help. In any case, I still think that, in addition to humility, other virtues, such as love, are also very important.

Сообщение отредактировал nastenatlt98 - Понедельник, 13.12.2021, 10:26

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 216 (Elder Herman of Mt. Athos)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024