Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 215
Saint Kosmas Aitolos

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 10:47
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 215 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 215 (Saint Kosmas Aitolos)
Quote 215
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 11.09.2021, 01:29 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
The first among all evils is ignorance; next comes lack of faith.

Saint Kosmas Aitolos

tsumskaa30Дата: Понедельник, 13.09.2021, 20:15 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Saint Kosmas expresses the idea of current importance. Ignorance and lack of faith are the scourge of our time. Moreover, I believe that these two infirmities are closely linked. The first is the cause of the second one. Due to unawareness people often misapprehend the Christian truths.

I have a lot of examples from my own experience. Firstly, many young people whose parents are atheists, have never read the Gospel, and that’s why they affirm that all the events which are described in the Holy Bible are similar to a fairy tale. If only they opened the beginning of the Gospel according to St. Matthew where Jesus Christ’s genealogical tree is represented, they wouldn't tell such things! Furthermore, those who deny the existence of God even don’t want to listen to the words of saints. They say that the Lord doesn’t hear them and they don’t realise that God speaks to us through prayers, the Gospel and through receiving Holy Communion.

To conclude, I fully agree with Saint Kosmas Aitolos’ quote. Lack of knowledge can have catastrophic consequences for human soul because it leads to different kinds of heresies, superstitious beliefs and even to the loss of faith.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Суббота, 06.11.2021, 09:51

salomiagudovaДата: Вторник, 28.09.2021, 23:39 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник
I’m not sure whether I fully agree with Saint Kosmos Aitolos. And I can’t even say that I fully understand the meaning of the quote. Saint Kosmas must have meant religious ignorance in particular and not ignorance on the whole. I suppose, and I may be wrong, that the quote talks about how not to know about Christianity is the worst thing imaginable because if you don’t know Christ, how can you realise your mistakes and at least start thinking about changing your ways? And the next worst thing is lack of faith when you have access to the teaching of the Church but you don’t have enough faith to accept it and live by it.

If we agree that it’s that's what the quote means (and I may have misunderstood the quote completely but at least it’s my interpretation of it), then I don’t now whether I can wholeheartedly agree that in this scenario the worst thing is religious ignorance and not lack of faith. Somehow it feels worse when you are not ignorant but still lack faith. You know but you still don’t believe. Maybe because you have less responsibility when you are ignorant? I’m not sure at all.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Суббота, 30.10.2021, 00:41

tukova0306Дата: Понедельник, 04.10.2021, 10:25 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
I completely agree with this statement. Ignorance is the greatest disease and enemy of humanity. Ignorance is the root of all evil. Ignorance is strong because there is no doubt in it. It restricts a person and does not allow them to see the truth. An ignoramus is a person who does not want to know anything because he is convinced that he knows everything. And today it is an unforgivable sin that devours our modern society. It's especially serious when it comes to faith. People are so sure that they do not need God not knowing Him at all. Some people even claim that God and His Holy Church is for underachievers, for people who haven't got guts. This is a great fallacy. And if some people have stepped on the way to God, they are misled by the evil one that prevents them from obtaining a strong faith. From my experience, those people who do not trust God completely and who do not believe in His love and mercy lack the faith. Prayer is an essential action in such situations.

danil_naydenovДата: Воскресенье, 10.10.2021, 17:54 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
Well, I certainly cannot agree with saint Kosmas Aitolos and anyone who has read the Bible will understand why. Let’s figure it out. What sin did Adam and Eve commit? It was certainly not eating the forbidden fruit. Let’s imagine what if God hadn’t told Adam that the fruit was forbidden? Would God have punished Adam and Eve then, just because they were ignorant? Of course not, it would’ve been completely unfair, because they would simply not have known about the sin they were about to commit. But God gave them His commandment: not to eat from that tree. God told them about all the consequences of violation of this commandment, and He gave them a choice. Adam and Eve knew what was coming, but they did it anyway. They knew their master’s will and were not ready to act according to it. This is the whole point of the original sin. Thus, ignorance is by no means the first among all evils, but pride certainly is. Because only pride can make you violate the law given to us by the Lord.

antonryadinskiДата: Воскресенье, 17.10.2021, 23:10 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
I can't agree with Saint Kosmos Aitolos as I can't certainly declare which the first evil among all evils is. I think that ignorance is closely connected with the lack of faith. They are two evils but still there are other evils too. It is hard for me to sort out what sin is worse. I think we shouldn't rank evils according to their badness as they are all bad and we should try to avoid them.

But according to the Gospel, I can certainly declare that blasphemy against the Spirit is unforgivable: "And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven." (Matthew 12:31). So this evil certainly should be the worst.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 12:41

dolysovacomДата: Вторник, 02.11.2021, 20:30 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
The saint's thoughts made me think. I partially agree with them. After all, due to lack of knowledge, you may not understand many things and interpret them incorrectly. And the worst thing is that you can lead your neighbor astray.

Many cases in history illustrate these words. We can recall the Ecumenical Councils at which various dogmas of the church were brought up for discussion. Thus, the first Ecumenical Council was convened in 325 in the city of Nicaea under Emperor Constantine the Great. Its main task was to expose the false teachings of the Alexandrian priest Arius, who rejected the Deity and the eternal birth from God the Father of the Son of God and taught that Christ is only the supreme creation. This example demonstrates a lack of knowledge.

And the Lord Himself told us about the lack of faith in the parable of the sower. «Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy.  But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away» (Mark 4:16-17). I believe that these words are relevant nowadays. With a lack of information, each of us can get lost and go off the right path.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Вторник, 02.11.2021, 20:31

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 03.11.2021, 18:59 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
I cannot say that I unconditionally agree with the statement of St. Kosmas Aitolos. Much worse than unconscious ignorance is conscious disobedience or even contempt for the rules. As for the lack of faith, this vice is really terrible and unforgivable. However, in one way or another, it is characteristic of almost everyone living today.

Is there any hope for those who are held captive by these evils? By the mercy of the Lord there is. We can fight ignorance with the help of education, and with the lack of faith - with the help of prayer and incessant requests to the Lord to cure this ailment.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

zhuravleva369Дата: Воскресенье, 07.11.2021, 13:16 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
I cannot fully agree with this opinion. I would say that lack of faith is worse than ignorance. Moreover, I think that it is a very controversial issue because all evils are actually a part of one great evil and we cannot decide which evil is bigger or smaller. Our task is just to try not to join any, even the smallest evil.

I can see the point of Saint Kosmas Aitolos. If you know nothing about your God and your faith it is bad. First of all, that means that you cannot answer questions of non-believers or people of other confessions. What is more important, that God gave us all the knowledge we need about Him collected in the Holy Bible and it is obvious that every Christian should be aware of all the necessary knowledge it gives.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Суббота, 27.11.2021, 00:26

7109633Дата: Суббота, 27.11.2021, 18:40 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
At first this quote of saint Kosmas Aitolos seems to be confusing, but after you think about it one more time you will see how it is well bound with our reality. To begin with, I cannot say whether it is the first or not among the evils as I cannot imagine how the evils must be compared. And there is no need to compare them because it doesn't actually matter whether the sin is bigger or smaller. The evils are the evils, so in any case considering one you considers just the side from which the whole unity is approached (like if the evils were realised as an object).

Turning to the issue of ignorance, I see it as not the complete lack of some knowledge, but as an abrupt piece of knowledge. Having just a piece of knowledge always leads to wrong conclusions, ideas or theories. In religion we name it heresies, but even in our daily life we come across such cases all the time. Vague understanding of medicine and biology ends up in homeopathy, magicians and many other dubious ways to help people. The adult who is not acquainted with the Internet tends to create senseless fears about it and cannot notice how useful it can be. Many quarrels between different generations or people of different jobs, lifestyles start simply because they do not know the cause well or know it only partially. Unwillingness to realise that our understanding of a situation or a matter is never full and varies between all the people leads to all those conflicts and not only them. There is another word to name such type of ignorance. It is subjectivity.

Audio

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Суббота, 04.12.2021, 19:44

vernik04Дата: Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 15:13 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник
I suppose St. Kosmas Aitolos's qoute is controversial because we cannot say for sure what is the root of all evils. In my opinion evil rises from a series of sins. We cannot incriminate one sin which would be bigger or worse than the others. Therefore I don't agree with the qoute.

On the other hand I can see St. Kosmas Aitolos's point. Ignorance is obviously evil. It is darkness that hinders people in seeing the world clearly. While knowledge gives truth and helps understand what is good and what is bad, ignorance blears the eyes and makes you an easy subject of evil. However, then the thought arises: can knowledge be used for evil? Yes, it can. Brilliant minds invented a nuclear bomb which is obviously evil. Of course, it does not make ignorance look better, but as we can see, everything is ambiguous.

Lack of faith cannot also be called one of the biggest sins. There are people who don't believe in God, but they live by conscience and do good. Surely I cannot stand up for lack of faith, but it is every person's choice whether to have faith or not. Again, there are could be different opinions about degree of "badness" of the sin.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Пятница, 03.12.2021, 15:09

posternaksophieДата: Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 19:40 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
The first among all evils is ignorance; next comes lack of faith.

It's hard to disagree with this quote as it is so topical for current situation. When I was at school and we were reading Phonvizin's comedy "Nedorosl" I wondered if it was at all possible to encounter such utter ignorance in real life. However, as I grew older I met a number of people who behaved even worse than Phonvizin's character. Today it is particularly relevant as a lot of people do not believe in the existence of coronavirus and take it as a sort of conspiracy theory. It is literally impossible to communicate with such people as whatever you say will not be comprehended adequately. It is difficult for me to judge whether lack of faith is worse or less worse than ignorance, but I got the impression that ignorance can be the result of lack of faith. That is, when people stop believing in God and believing authorative authoritative priests and Holy Fathers they can plunge into ignorance as they trust in themselves, not in God.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 01.12.2021, 14:22

abalakinan27Дата: Четверг, 02.12.2021, 11:56 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
I couldn’t agree more with this phrase. Diligence and faith are coherent while ignorance implies lack of knowledge. It’s very easy to forget your homeland, your creed and principles through not following and cherishing them, without renewing them in your memory, without endeavoring to enlarge yourself and appreciating the historical background. If a Christian takes for granted his state, does not even try to wrap his head around it, he will become a miserable non-believer soon as the result of a loss of interest in faith and in following God's commandments, and of purpose of life.

AUDIO

3 / 2

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 14:30

alekssander-com29Дата: Четверг, 02.12.2021, 14:07 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
I quite agree with St Kosmas' saying. Ignorance is one of the greatest evils humankind has ever faced. Ignorance might lead to arrogance because for some reason people who see only one side of the issue tend to think that they promote the one and only right point of view. They're rigorous at arguing but unable to listen to others. Without training one's mind a person becomes gullible. So, gaining new knowledge might save them from falling into heresy. Moreover, their faith becomes much more profound with knowledge of what the person believes in.

On the other hand, as well as strengthening one's faith, knowledge can also weaken it or even destroy if a person approaches it carelessly. It is especially dangerous now because there are lots of people eager to get rid of religions and build some utopian society, based upon reverence towards technology and science.

--
Дяченко Александр.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 18:52

bondarenkodv7Дата: Суббота, 04.12.2021, 16:36 | Сообщение # 15
Лейтенант
I agree with the point that Saint Kosmas Aitolos makes. Ignorance has to be the first among all evils because it blocks our path to repentance before it even starts.
In order to repent of his sins, one must acknowledge them first, but if his vision is clouded by ignorance, he wouldn’t know that his actions are sinful, and thus would continue to live in those sins.

The next evil that Saint Kosmas lists is lack of faith, as it stands in our way to repentance right after we come past ignorance. Lack of faith makes us doubt God’s mercy, tells us that this time we have sinned “too much” and that there is no return now. This is extremely dangerous as it harms our spiritual health immensely, turns us away from repentance, and pushes us into desperation. That’s why it’s important for every Christian not only to recognize his sins, but also to remember that God will accept his repenting heart.

Daniil Bondarenko

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 215 (Saint Kosmas Aitolos)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024