Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 214
St Mark the Ascetic (Philokalia, Vol. 1)

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 01:38
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 214 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 214 (St Mark the Ascetic (Philokalia, Vol. 1))
Quote 214
readeralexeyДата: Понедельник, 06.09.2021, 23:42 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Often our knowledge becomes darkened because we fail to put things into practice. For when we have totally neglected to practise something, our memory of it will gradually disappear.

St Mark the Ascetic (Philokalia, Vol. 1)

valpet251Дата: Вторник, 07.09.2021, 10:32 | Сообщение # 2
Лейтенант
I fully agree with the idea expressed by St. Mark the Ascetic. Saint Mark the Ascetic reminds us of the need to use the knowledge we have acquired, because otherwise that knowledge is forgotten and lost over time, making our efforts to acquire it futile. I think that the saint spoke not only and not so much about our everyday knowledge, but aimed at reminding  us of the need to practice our knowledge concerning the spiritual side of our life. I am sure that everyone knows this from their own experience and the advice of St. Mark is very relevant.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Четверг, 25.11.2021, 00:06

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 14.09.2021, 18:52 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Practice is a very significant thing in our life. It's impossible to imagine our constant well-being without it. Whatever it is: studying, for example, learning languages or spiritual work on yourself,  saying prayers every day, - all of these require application.

Let's look through the examples thoroughly. If you don't practice your speaking a foreign language for a long time, you are likely to loose your skills very soon regardless of your level  (unless you have perfect neural pathways or you're a genius).

According to Psalm 51: "For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise" - the main joy for our merciful God is our readiness to serve Him and praise Him. In spite of the fact that we might have such desire for fervent praying not very often,  nevertheless we have to do it in order not to loose our belonging to Christian life completely. And prayer is an integral part of Christian life. Praying must be remembered and without taking it into consideration we run the risk forgetting about it. Moreover, the state without God can begin downward spiral. It's a habit and seeing our diligence to pray God will grant us true faith, ability to pray and not only heavenly but earthly blessings.

AUDIO

4 / 1

lopatinavarvaraДата: Среда, 15.09.2021, 20:23 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
I completely agree with the quote of St. Mark the Ascetic. Knowledge that is not applied in practice is forgotten. This is a strong side of our psyche, which helps to get rid of irrelevant information. Therefore, in order for knowledge to remain in our heads for a long time, we need to find an application for it. The best example here is the study of languages. When we learn a language, and even if we already know it as our native language, it will still be forgotten over time, if we do not practice it. Therefore, in order not to lose the knowledge acquired by hard work, you need to constantly apply them it in practice.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 06.10.2021, 23:50

danil_naydenovДата: Среда, 15.09.2021, 20:47 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
Indeed, there is a great difference between theory and practice. We, as people who study languages, know that better than anyone. You may know all the grammar rules, vocabulary and linguistic characteristics of a language, but you will never be able to speak it until you get the skill to do it. And getting a skill is always practice. The same goes with faith. A person may know all the commandments, or even the whole Bible by heart, but if he does not put his knowledge to practice, his sin becomes even more greater. For it is said: “And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes” (Luke 12:47). Once again, that’s why we should always pay attention to our daily life and watch carefully for our thoughts and words. Because every day, every single minute we are making a choice, leading us either to salvation, or to condemnation.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Среда, 15.09.2021, 20:48

zhuravleva369Дата: Среда, 15.09.2021, 21:57 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
I fully agree with the quote of St. Mark the Ascetic. And I can even illustrate it with my own example. Usually, I read one chapter of The Gospel before going to bed. And after reading I always think, that I understood everything and I'm going to remember it in my further life. But it takes no more than a few days to forget just everything if I did not act according to the words in the chapter.

If you read what you need to love your neighbour - do not wait for something. You need to practise right now. You can say to someone a kind word, help some people or even just restrain yourself from saying bad things. This also requires some effort.

This quote was not something new for me. I read similar thoughts from a priest about three months ago. But, unfortunately, I had not given it much thought before reading that priest's words.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Суббота, 27.11.2021, 00:24

salomiagudovaДата: Вторник, 21.09.2021, 21:15 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
I couldn’t agree more with Saint Mark the Ascetic. Yes, indeed, knowledge and practice go hand in hand and one cannot exist without the other. I think every student notices at the end of another summer that they have forgotten something that they didn’t practice during the summer. It is very noticeable with languages.

Fortunately, I have incorporated English in my everyday life and so I never stop practicing it but by the end of August I could clearly see, using Saint Mark’s words, that my memory of the German language was gradually disappearing.

But this idea can and should be applied not only to our everyday life but also to our spiritual one. For Christians practicing their faith is of utmost importance. It’s not enough to have faith and agree with the teaching of the Church. We should go to church regularly, participate in the sacraments, especially in the Eucharist. Not only should we accept Christ’s teaching but we should practice it, in other words live according to it.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Вторник, 21.09.2021, 21:16

mariabrkДата: Четверг, 30.09.2021, 23:19 | Сообщение # 8
Сержант
We should read the Gospel and letters of the Apostles  daily to give food to our souls and remember the way we should behave and act. So whether we just read it or make these words come true, become our life, makes a great difference which St. Mark the Ascetic reminds us about. This is not something novel for us today as nowadays we have a lot of lifehacks and psychological talks from coaches and bloggers on how to build a habit, that is, for example, how to really stop eating chocolate instead of just having the information in the head about the harm of sugar to our body.

We face the need for repetition on a daily practice. We have to put things into regular practice to be able to remember them, not to 'give them the cold shoulder' and see the result: from very basic actions like cooking a simple soup and doing exercises to more complicated and subtle matters as prayers and spiritual life. Otherwise, knowledge is for nothing. I read Scripture pretty often (I listen to it when I don't have time to read) but when it comes to a real-life situation, I fail to perform properly as the Words from the Scripture just flee from my mind. Yet, when I make myself remember and perform in the way our God tells us to do, I see the fruits of it. I know that to condemn is a sin but does it keep me from judging others? No. And only when I put some effort into it, I cease noticing the wrong behaviour of others and start praying for it which actually gives me comfort instead of the anxiety when I judge people. So, it's essential for us to remember the words of St. Mark the Ascetic and use them as a guide in our life.

Сообщение отредактировал mariabrk - Понедельник, 15.11.2021, 13:13

tukova0306Дата: Понедельник, 04.10.2021, 14:18 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
I cannot agree more with the words of St. Mark the Ascetic. We are built in such a way that we need practice to keep the knowledge of something. For example, when we learn to sing, we learn the theory and have to practise regularly, if not every day. I have a friend who is learning to sing now. She has had a break in practice recently. And she said that she lost some skills and some necessary information.The same happens with prayer and a Christian life. One can know everything in theory but fail to live following God's words. Such person only implements the words in vain without living example. Thus, those golden Words become “darkened”. So we must not forget to put our knowledge (both earthly and spiritual) into practice.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 16:01

antonryadinskiДата: Воскресенье, 17.10.2021, 22:50 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I totally agree with the quote of St. Mark the Ascetic. It could be applied to any specialization or any other field of activity. Knowledge itself is an abstract thing, we can't see or touch it. The only way to measure your knowledge is to show it in practice. And the more practice you have, the more knowledge you can apply to it. If you don't have the practice your knowledge, indeed, becomes darkened.

I think the same thing is with the acts of faith. I agree with Daniil that you may know the Bible by heart, but if you don't do any good, the knowledge is useless. So we can read such passages from the Gospel: "For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done." (Matthew 16:27) or "God 'will repay each person according to what they have done.'" (Romans 2:6).

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 12:41

dolysovacomДата: Вторник, 02.11.2021, 19:34 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
I fully agree with the quotation of St Mark the Ascetic.

If you know the concrete thing in theory and don’t put it into practice then you will lose the whole meaning of this knowledge and it will become absolutely fruitless.
We human beings have an incredible ability to forget everything useful but, on the contrary, we remember a lot of useless things. Therefore, in order not to find ourselves in such an unpleasant situation, we must put into practice the useful knowledge
we have gained as often as possible. And this concerns our spiritual life.

Almost every day we receive a lot of information from various sources (it can be a priest's sermon, Holy Scripture, and the teaching of the holy Fathers), and without practice we lose this important information.

Jesus gives us an example that we should hear and try to apply it in life. “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up.  Some fell on rocky places, where it did nothave much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow.  But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched,and they withered because they had no root.  Other seed fell among thorns, which grew upand choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. Whoever has ears, let them hear.” (Mt 13:3-9). Our duty is to be a fertile land so that the words of Jesus Christ, like a seed, can germinate and bear fruit.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Среда, 24.11.2021, 16:31

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 03.11.2021, 19:21 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
I absolutely agree with this statement. Indeed, without practice, our knowledge becomes useless. Sometimes, after a long break in oral practice, I literally feel how rusty my tongue is and how difficult it is for me to do what was once easy.
However, the more I exercise, the smoother everything goes. It's a great feeling that inspires me to carry on. However, by the wisdom of God, our body is able to mechanically reproduce actions learned once. For example, you will never forget how to ride a bike or tie knots. But valuable skills require constant training.

This applies not only to skills in study and work, but also to spiritual life. Without exercises in prayer and reading the Holy Scriptures, our soul loses a priceless spiritual experience.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

vernik04Дата: Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 15:55 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
I totally agree with St Mark's quote. We gather knowledge in order to use it, in other words - to put into practice. Without practice we lose what we've got. This applies to everything. It could be a foreign language. You can learn it for months and even years, however, without using it in life, all your efforts are useless. Also the quote could be applied to spiritual life where without practice we will not be able to get closer to God.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Пятница, 03.12.2021, 15:10

posternaksophieДата: Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 19:27 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
I totally agree with this quote as it is the topic I've been thinking of for quite a while. Very often while standing in the church and listening to the sermon I thought I took it as a theory more than practice. While understanding it in theory I rarely applied it to my life and it's still like this. It is vital to understand the importance of putting things into practice because only then is God near and it is possible to feel His Presence in our life.

alekssander-com29Дата: Четверг, 02.12.2021, 14:00 | Сообщение # 15
Подполковник
This quote may be applied in many different situations and cases from studying and working to spiritual life of an individual. And in both cases it is completely accurate. We don`t have a need to look far for an example. People can study and learn all the theory of a foreign language, but without constant practice it`s almost useless and soon will be forgotten.

The same situation is with our spiritual life about which as it seems to me St Mark the Ascetic said. We may know all the commandments, prayers, and Scripture backwards but if we don`t use them constantly in our daily life soon we`ll be so far from God and his kingdom that all this  knowledge will be forgotten.
--

Дяченко Александр

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 14:01

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 214 (St Mark the Ascetic (Philokalia, Vol. 1))
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024