Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Upper-Intermediate »
»
Unit 016 Work

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 17:09
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 016 Work - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 016 Work
Unit 016 Work
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 08.09.2021, 21:41 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1. Think of a memorable character from a book / a film who is a representative of one of the following jobs: director ;  executive ; administrator ; skilled worker ; unskilled worker ; receptionist ; public relations officer ; union representative ; researcher ; supervisor. Name the character and the source. Then briefly describe the character. In what mode is he/she portrayed? Does it reflect a stereotype or contradict it?

2. Would you like to acquire a trade in addition to your future profession? Why / why not? If yes, what would it be?

3. Is it easy to find work in your hometown? If you are offered a job somewhere else, would you consider moving?

4. If you are in tutoring, is it hard to make a living?

5. If you were asked to prepare a highschool student for the State Exam in English, would you take it on?

6. Would you ever consider doing shiftwork?

7. Would you prefer to be on flexi-time or to work nine-to-five? Why?

8. Has any person you know been fired or made redundant recently? How did they cope with it? Have they been able to find a new job? Are they in a better or a worse position than before?

9. Has anyone you know taken early retirement? What was the reason? Have they regretted it?

10.  Have you ever applied for a job? How would you describe the experience?

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 17.09.2021, 18:45 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
5. If you were asked to prepare a highschool student for the State Exam in English, would you take it on?

The preparation for the State Exam requires responsibility both from students and teachers. Nevertheless, many teachers, who are unskilled in the tutoring especially for the State Exam, take it on.

In fact, I suppose that knowing the criteria of assessment is much more important than understanding all rules from school books. For example, some of my friends who spoke English really fluently, gained less points than those whose level was lower, just because they didn’t examine the rules of doing that very task.

Therefore I strongly believe that some of those young people who passed the State Exam in English can prepare highschool students even more effectively than professional teachers who don’t want to bother with new criteria. For instance, there is an online-team whose aim is to help students pass the Exam. It is called “Umschool”. Its peculiarity is that all its stuff includes only young people from 18 to 23 years old who have recently passed the State Exam successfully. With the help of these webinars several hundred pupils managed to gain 100 points in the Exam. That may sound impossible, but it is true.

All in all, I hope that if a highschool student asks me to prepare him or her for the State Exam in English, I will be helpful, though, of course, the function of a tutor is extremely responsible.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Воскресенье, 07.11.2021, 12:54

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 06.10.2021, 21:16 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
3. Is it easy to find work in your hometown? If you are offered a job somewhere else, would you consider moving?

To find a job is a difficult task, especially if you live in a small town. So it is hard to find a job in my hometown. There are low opportunities there to find something and you have to move in a bigger city. I can't imagine that I would find the dream job in my hometown, there are more possibilities to do it in Moscow.

But if I was offered a job somewhere else, except Moscow, I wouldn't consider moving. I like this city very much. I think it's a good place to study and to work. There are lot of companies where you can gain experience. Besides, there are lot of interesting people around you. And you can  make a brilliant career here if you are a very determined person.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 13:05

posternaksophieДата: Четверг, 07.10.2021, 13:46 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
If you are in tutoring, is it hard to make a living?

Nowadays a substantial number of people tend to believe that tutoring is a waste of time and does not provide one with a good income. However, there is another point of view that tutoring is one of the most promising jobs today. Personally, I am convinced that tutoring is a good way to earn a living if it is the second a part-time job.

Firstly, one does not need any qualifications to be a tutor. Secondly, tutors are fashionable today as a lot of students are incapable of preparing for exams on their own and need tutors’ help. Thirdly, it is a flexible job and is easily combined with studying or any other occupation. Moreover, today tutors with a good command of the language can earn quite a lot of money as their knowledge is highly evaluated.

However, it is true that making a living in tutoring such subjects as Maths or Russian can be hard. Today tutors who prepare for exams are needed the most and as a result tutors who simply help one to study the subject in general are not popular.

All in all, I am convinced that today tutoring is a decent occupation with a stable income.

katyadorniakДата: Четверг, 18.11.2021, 02:23 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I watch a lot of American TV series, so I can give many examples of various workers, since they become the main characters. In the animated series American Dad, it is the character of a deputy director Bullock. He is voiced by Patrick Stewart. He is a very eccentric, self-satisfied and ironic person, while he is quite vulnerable and somewhat infantile. He loves luxury and obedience. The creators of the animated series wanted to make fun of how important bosses feel.

In the animated series Family Guy, there is a character, named Angela. She is voiced by Carrie Fisher. Angela is the supervisor of the main character, Peter Griffin. Angela is a strong and independent woman. She is harsh, demanding and always very serious. At the same time, she is very lonely and deeply unhappy. This character is a typical caricature of female bosses who cannot build a personal life.

In the animated series Rick and Morty there is a character, named Beth Smith. She is voiced by Sarah Chalke. She is an example of a skilled worker. Beth is a mother of two and works as a horse surgeon. Because of her early marriage, she was never able to become a "real" surgeon, that is, a doctor who treats people. Therefore, she is unhappy. Nevertheless, she is a strong woman who tries the best she can. Her character is not a parody, in fact, she is deeply tragic and contradicts stereotypes about skilled worker, because she is unhappy at her job.

In conclusion, I would like to say that in the current TV shows are trying to break patterns regarding representatives of different professions. This makes the characters more interesting, and allows professionals to avoid the spread of stereotypes.

Добавлено (01.12.2021, 04:38)
---------------------------------------------
When I was FIRED from my first WORKPLACE (I mean, a real workplace, with an official salary and all that), I felt a strange relief. Don't think that I GOT THE SACK for my laziness or lack of professional skills: it just happened. It was difficult for me at that job, I won't lie,
since I'm an UNSKILLED WORKER and I can't be called a WORKAHOLIC (yet). Anyway, now I understand that there are a lot of JOBS in front of me that require my skills. Whether it's FREELANCE or SHIFT WORK– I think I can handle it. The main thing is to be flexible: not everyone gets a dream profession right away, it's okay to work as a CARPENTER, even if your vocation is to be an ECONOMIST. And
of course, the fact that I am studying to be a translator is unlikely to prevent me from becoming some kind of DIRECTOR in the future.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

vernik04Дата: Четверг, 02.12.2021, 21:15 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
8. Has any person you know been fired or made redundant recently? How did they cope with it? Have they been able to find a new job? Are they in a better or a worse position than before?

This summer I realised how easily you can get the sack when I was suddenly fired.
In June I was offered a job as a social media administrator of a concert hall. But after a month of work, my boss told me that I'm not needed anymore. I was surprised because I was sure that everything was going well. I planned to work further as I consider myself a skilled worker, I liked my job and I thought of myself as a workaholic. However, I was made redundant. Truth be told, I didn't really get upset.

In July I found a new job as a receptionist at a nail salon. Unfortunately, this job wasn't suitable for me, but I worked for two months before I quit. It was a hard time, I hated going to work. Nevertheless, I'm proud that I got important experience and earned money on my own.

This summer I realised how easily you can GET THE SACK when I was suddenly FIRED. In June I was OFFERED A JOB as a social media ADMINISTRATOR of a concert hall. But after a month of work, my boss told me that I'm not needed anymore. I was surprised because I was sure that everything was going well. I planned to work further as I consider myself a SKILLED WORKER, I liked my job and I thought of myself as a WORKAHOLIC. However, I was MADE REDUNDANT.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 11:35

yarovaya02Дата: Воскресенье, 30.01.2022, 21:31 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
Would you ever consider doing shiftwork?

Job has always been a controversial topic to discuss. Some people think that shiftwork is not very hard, whereas other people think the opposite.

In my opinion, working in the nights is unhealthy. It breaks a person’s schedule, changes the previous life tempo. Moreover, lack os  of sleep can lead to some problems. For example, if a student is doing shiftwork, then highly likely he will spend less time on studying and will prepare worse for seminars.

Personally, I would not do shiftwork. I think that while learning, the student can tutor, which is educational and profitable.

1) Although she HAS TAKEN RETIREMENT, now she works as a CHILD-MINDER.
2) SHIFTWORK is very hard for Nancy, so she is on flexi-time.
3) ”Is she MADE REDUNDANT?”- “ No, she is ON MATERNITY”[/size]

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Воскресенье, 05.06.2022, 20:23

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 31.01.2022, 20:32 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
If you are in tutoring, is it hard to make a living?

Many students are engaged in tutoring during their studies at the university. Someone is engaged with a couple of students, someone has whole groups. Of course, the more students, the more money. But not every student has enough time to immerse himself in tutoring.

To be honest, it seems to me that it is hard to make a living if you are in tutoring. The average salary of an English tutor in Moscow = 35,000 thousand rubles. But here we are talking about professionals, who most likely have already completed their studies at the university. But students, in order to earn such an amount, need to spend a fairly decent amount of time on teaching, which is often not enough.

If you try, you can probably earn good money on tutoring, devoting yourself completely to it. But I'm not quite sure that during my student years, with a full load at the university, you can easily provide yourself without the help of parents: housing and the like.

In any case, tutoring definitely makes sense to do, because it is very relevant these days: most schoolchildren need additional help in studying materials for preparing for exams, so tutors are needed.

Добавлено (31.01.2022, 20:39)
---------------------------------------------
1 When I worked as a tutor, I was ON FLEXI-TIME.
2 My aunt left work ON MATERNITY LEAVE because she is expecting a child.
3 Recently, my brother was PROMOTED at work.

sasavasl15Дата: Понедельник, 31.01.2022, 22:45 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник

It is very convenient for many people to work on a strict schedule, as it helps them not to be distracted and follow a certain plan. But this option is not suitable for everyone.

For me, a flexi-time looks more attractive than working under strict time constraints. This option has a lot of advantages that fit my personality type. For example, the result of work becomes important, first of all, and not the time spent at work. This work schedule is well suited for those who, according to their biological clock, work well in the evening or at night. Those working in this mode have more free time for family, friends, hobbies, which is important for a person.

Of course, there are also disadvantages - it is necessary to show great self-discipline, more concentration, responsibility and self-control, and much more.

But still, I'd rather work a flexible schedule than work nine-to-five.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1. THE ADMINISTRATOR of our office is constantly late.
2. In restaurants, employees often WORK SHIFTS.
3. A TRADE UNION representative helps employees to defend their interests.

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 01.02.2022, 10:44 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
If you were asked to prepare a high school student for the State Exam in English, would you take it on?

One issue that has caused a lot of controversy is whether University students can be tutors for high school students and can take their preparation for the State Exam in English on.

Some people suggest that students who have recently passed USE [Unified State Exam] and have done it successfully must be great tutors, for they have the experience of taking the examination those teachers don’t. In this case “the experience” consists in the better knowledge of the format, the knowledge of some working tips etc. In that respect people of my age, especially if they are still studying English after graduating, can be considered as great tutors, and that makes sense.

However, as far as I am concerned, we must distinguish between different types of “experience” those students and teachers have. Being a person who has passed State Exam in English I can give high school students useful tips or help them with some advice, but I realise, it’s not enough to be a tutor. So if I were asked to prepare a high school student for the State Exam in English, I would not take it on.

------------------------------------------------------------
After graduating from college Mary realised, she had TO DO SOMETHING FOR A LIVING and that she should FIND A JOB. She thought of some PROFESSIONS she was dreaming of when she was a child and laughed: pop star, DIRECTOR and DENTIST - what a weird list.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:10

tsvioletta17Дата: Пятница, 04.02.2022, 13:53 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник
10.  Have you ever applied for a job? How would you describe the experience?

There comes a time in every person's life for the first job. Since the age of 14, I have been looking for different side jobs, but they were not serious and fickle. Now I'm 19 and I've had a steady job for 4 months. I'll tell you about it now.

Last autumn I was walking with an old friend and she told me about her new job - a waitress position in a new establishment. I was so inspired by her story that now I am a waitress in a bar-restaurant in the heart of Moscow.

Truth be told, I don't regret at all that I came to work there cause I gained a lot of new knowledge, friends, became more open, independent, sociable and responsible. An important fact: my work does not interfere with my studies.

Also, working as a waitress gives me the opportunity to talk to foreigners in English and practice the language. I've had this experience 4 times already at this job!

Breaking down stereotypes, I want to say that this work is rewarding important, interesting, it gives a better understanding of people.

1. Our staff has got two ADMINISTRATORS.
2. Two months ago one barman GOT THE SACK. It upset me cause we got along well with him.
3. Any company is looking for
 SKILLED WORKERS.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 30.05.2022, 13:41

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 08.02.2022, 10:51 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник

Talking about the working schedule, it is hard for me to say explicitly which one I would prefer. Just because I don’t really know which work I will be doing in the near future. I suppose, it'll be good to work on freelance, but quite rarely a person can make a living doing online work. Not always, at least.

Nevertheless, choosing between these two schedules, I would rather prefer to be on flexi-time.

Firstly, because I have few hobbies which are quite important for me, and I need the opportunity of spending time on them. So, if my day is scheduled by myself, I can arrange my time the way I will be able to do things I like, and adjust my work to my needs. At the same time, the work tasks on flexi-time schedule might appear suddenly, and my plans may be destroyed easily.

Secondly, flexi-time work is a good opportunity for traveling and other activities. You can choose your working hours and days and then take a break for a few days and go wherever you like. It is absolutely impossible if you have nine-to-five work. Also, I feel that nine-to-five work don’t leave space for freedom and spontaneity, which all creative people like. I feel myself just unable to work this way. However, who knows. Time will show.

---

For years I’ve been working NINE-TO-FIVE as a CLERK in a big international firm. Recently I was PROMOTED to a SUPERVISOR. But today a new DIRECTOR came and I was heartlessly LAID OFF! So, before FINDING A NEW JOB I really don’t know how to MAKE A LIVING…

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:14

veronikachernykh15Дата: Четверг, 05.05.2022, 14:34 | Сообщение # 13
Майор

Due to the fact that I live in Moscow, finding a job in the capital is quite simple. But the problem is, that I am a philologist and, in principle, there is not much work. Therefore, in order to work with language and literature, I am ready for a lot. But despite this, moving for the sake of work is an interesting and controversial issue.

When I was at school, I often thought about studying abroad. Everyone knows that studying in Europe is an indicator of good education. But in adolescence, I did not succeed in fulfilling my dream. Now, being a little older, I understand that moving will not be so easy. Although this may be interesting to me as an experience, I am not ready to leave everything that I have in Moscow. I talk about family, friends and hobbies. Of course, if we talk about working abroad, then this is a different matter. Here you have to choose between, for example, creating a family and a career. But since I don’t have to choose, I would like to work in my favourite city in my homeland.

--------------------------------
To be honest, I would really like to FIND JOB. I have a lot of dreams and needs which can be accomplished only with the help of money. Of course, I can not work NINE TO FIVE, but I can be ON FLEXI-TIME. But I am not sure that I will be able to combine studying and working. Also I have no idea how to GET WORK being an UNSKILLED WORKER.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:11

lolosipovanikaДата: Вторник, 10.10.2023, 22:16 | Сообщение # 14
Лейтенант
1. Think of a memorable character from a book / a film who is a representative of one of the following jobs: director ;  executive ; administrator ; skilled worker ; unskilled worker ; receptionist ; public relations officer ; union representative ; researcher ; supervisor. Name the character and the source. Then briefly describe the character. In what mode is he/she portrayed? Does it reflect a stereotype or contradict it?

Recently I watched American series called "Severance". It's an amusing story about office workers, who decided to separate their job life from their usual life. The series is quite gloomy. The main character Mike Scout, played by Adam Scott, was the best skilled worker of his department, so he became the director and executive of it. The stereotypes of office workers are shown in a scary way.

Another great American series is "The office". The story is built on the jokes about office workers. Michael Scott, played by Steve Carell, is the director of his office and the most unskilled person at the same time. Pam, played by Jenna Fischer is the administrator, but usually she had to do work for others, for example, her boss's work. So she is a very skilled worker in many ways. Many characters called her a workaholic. Here the stereotypes of the office workers are shown in a very funny manner.

These two series are all about office workers, stereotypes and absurdity. But while "Severance" is gloomy and strict sometimes, "The office" is very light and funny to watch and relax.

---------------------------

1. Previously I worked nine-to five, but now I am on flexi-time job and I'm happy with that.
2. Firstly he was just a receptionist, but then he was promoted and became a director of the hotel.
3. His father is a carpenter, he does shiftwork and his mother was a childminder, but was made redundant.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 11:38

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 12.10.2023, 00:20 | Сообщение # 15
Лейтенант
2. Would you like to acquire a trade in addition to your future profession? Why / why not? If yes, what would it be?

I believe being an English teacher is very popular nowadays, but unfortunately it is being laid off. You can find so many people who can teach you the basics of the language, so in my case I find it very important to acquire a trade in addition to my English teacher career. I would like myself to be a chanter. Now I sing in a church and I believe that's a very important experience that can help me to be promoted to the main chanter in my choir. I don't think that singing in a church has to be the main profession. But having something with a flexi-time shiftwork is very useful. So I would like to become a professional chanter as a trade in addition to my to my future profession.
(You can listen to my choir singing during the Vigil in the attached files.)

1) My friend was OFFERED A JOB last summer. 3) She WORKED NINE-TO-FIVE during all the year. 3) But when she got enough money to live, she decided to RETIRE from the job. 4) Unfortunately, she is looking for a new JOB TO APPLY FOR.

Прикрепления: maloe_slavoslovie.mp3 (621.8 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 11:02

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 016 Work
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024