2nd year of study: Spring 2021
DEESIS includes in itself the icon of THE SAVIOUR in the middle, JOHN THE FORERUNNER and THEOTOCOS on both sides.
All Orthodox Christian are waiting for the SECOND ADVENT as about two thousand years ago the JEWS were waiting for the birth of Christ.
But IT WAS WRITTEN IN THE PROPHETS that before the Saviour God's angel (Saint JOHN THE BAPTIST) must have PREPARED "THE WAY OF THE LORD, MAKE HIS PATHS STRAIGHT" (from THE GOSPEL according to ST. MARK). The TESTIMONY concerning the Forerunner is taken from two PROPHETS: from MALACHI and ISAIAH. John ate LOCUSTS and wild honey. He wasn't the real angel himself, but he's called thus because of his angelic and IMMATERIAL WAY OF LIFE. He bitized the Jews in the WILDERNESS and PREACH the baptism of REPENTANCE UNTO THE REMISSION OF SINS. Saint John came to ANNOUNCE and PROCLAIM the COMING OF CHRIST.
The crucial point is that between Lord's MESSENGER and The Saviour was a KINGSHIP like the possession of those who go directly before a king in a king's procession to the king's own HOUSEHOLD.
Before reading the text of the commentary I had thought that the phrase "THE VOICE OF ONE CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS" concerns only John himself. But afterwards, I have been amazed at the fact that it refers even not to the JORDAN DESERT but to the DESOLATE SYNAGOGUE of the Jews . And I like the interpretation of "THE WAY" that is the NEW TESTAMENT and the "PATHS" those are the OLD TESTAMENT which was WELL TRODDEN. It is very significant not to divide both Testaments. Because for "the way" THAT IS the new one they should be prepared and also they were in need of making straight the old paths which they had once followed but from which they had turned and become WAYWARD.
N.A. [() 1,5]
1. The word «CONVENT» is used to talk about MONASTERIES for women.
2. A PALITSA is made of BROCADE and is usually worn by bishops as a sign of the SWORD OF SPIRIT and as a special reward by priests.
3. Some MITRES have a small cross on top, whereas others don’t.
4. Nowadays the MONASTIC LIFE isn’t a widely spread way of life.
5. Instead of a CHASUBLE bishops are to wear SAKKOS.
S.P. [() ]
1. A deacon can’t CELEBRATE THE LITURGY and other SACRAMENTS independently but a PRIEST can.
2. Although deacons wear CUFFS and a STOLE, they are not allowed to put on an ALB, a CHASUBLE and a GIRDLE.
3. Our church’s CELEBRANT is young and doesn’t have the EPIGONATION because it’s a special reward for zealous service given only to SENIOR PRIESTS.
4. According to MODERN SCHOLARS’ calculations, the RISE OF ISLAM is increasing every day, and to 2100 the number of MUSLIMS will be greater than the number of Christians.
5. Many heresies and SCHISMS remain the ROCKS OF OFFENCE, for example, MONOPHYSITISM still exists in Armenia.
T.Sh. [() ]
1. Our Lord Jesus Christ loves and cares for people as well as the GOOD SHEPHERD looks after his FLOCK.
2. During Confession a priest is a GO-BETWEEN between a penitent and God, and the priest's STOLE symbolizes Divine Grace.
3. The sacrament of ORDINATION TO THE PRIESTHOOD is performed according to the APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION, and all bishops have the same SACRAMENTAL POWERS.
4. It’s not obligatory for a LOCAL COMMUNITY to have a DEACON because a priest can PERFORM THE SACRAMENTS INDEPENDENTLY.
5. Catholics establish the papal SUPREMACY based on ‘PETRINE TEXTS’, but Orthodox Christians give the Pope only a PRIMACY OF HONOR.
T.Sh. [() ]
1. BISHOP has the HIGHEST DEGREE OF PRIESTHOOD but basically what makes him different from PRIESTS is the ability to ORDAIN other people DEACONS and PRIESTS.
2. The APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION dates back to the times of Jesus Christ.
3. We use a different word to speak about the ORDINATION of BISHOP: we say to be CONSECRATED BISHOP.
4. In the old times there used to be not only DEACONS but also DEACONESSES who were allowed in the SANCTUARY and helped in the PERFORMANCE OF THE EUCHARIST.
5. Basically not also DEACONS but also PRIESTS and BISHOPS serve as a GO-BETWEEN between the Church and the people.
6. After the singing of the Creed DEACON crosses his ORARION in his back.
7. The priest needs the CUFFS and the STOLE as a primary equipment to serve the Holy Liturgy.
8. Nowadays the most dangerous MINISTRY priests can conduct to the people is going to the covid hospitals.
9. Also the deacon cannot PERFORM THE SACRAMENTS he is able to SERVE THE CLERGY in other ways.
10. Normally a priest or a bishop has a PARISH where he SERVES the MINISTRY to people as a SHEPHERD of his people.
11. An ALB symbolises PURITY and JOY and that is why it is a garment worn by the priests.
12. A PALITSA is a GARMENT given to a priest or a bishop as a special reward.
13. You can know you are speaking to bishop by checking out for the PANAGIA on his chest.
14. Bishop’s STAFF usually stands leaned against the corner of the Sanctuary in the church the bishop SERVES.
15. Some bishops have a small cross on the top of their MITRES.
S.P. [() 5,25]
1. Christians believe that they can receive RECONCILIATION with God after CONFESSION and COMMUNION.
2. Orthodoxy declines PAPAL AUTHORITY and considers all DIOCESAN BISHOPS equal in SACRAMENTAL POWERS as they are all SUCCESSORS OF PETER.
3. Although Jesus Christ himself is a head of the Church, PATRIARCH is also a head of the ECCLESIASTICAL ORGANIZATION but only on the earth.
4. PETRINE TEXTSfully develop the meaning of God’s love so they help people not TO FALL INTO HERESY.
5. THE PRIMARY PURPOSE of the APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION is that we can see a lasting line of all ordained DIOCESAN BISHOPS that leads tothe begging — Jesus Christ.
A.R. [() 0,75]
1. The main purpose of ANOINTING WITH OIL is a RECONCILIATION with God.
2. During the period of COVID-19 even the usual Anointing, which takes place in vespers, is performed with COTTON BUDS in most of the Orthodox Churches.
3. Saint CYRIL OF ALEXANDRIA was right when he confronted NESTORIUS who declined to call the VIRGIN MARY “MOTHER OF GOD” abolishing the doctrine of the INCARNATION.
4. Modern representatives of MONOPHYSITISM live in Armenia and they endangered the FULLNESS OF CHRIST’S MANHOOD though they call themselves “Orthodox”.
5. The Orthodox Church uses the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed during the Liturgy but admits also the Creed which was made up in CHALCEDON in 451 and which proclaimed that Christ is TRULY GOD AND TRULY MAN acknowledged in TWO NATURES unconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, insaparably.
T.Sh. [() 8,75]
E.D. [() 0,75]
2nd year of study: Autumn 2020
1. In the Orthodox Church there are commonly understood to be seven ORTHODOX MYSTERIES.
2. The CHURCH is not a “human” organisation, but the Body of Christ the God-man.
3. PRAYING WITH ICONS is an ancient practice that can draw a person closer to God.
4. THE CROSS, seen as a representation of the instrument of the crucifixion of Jesus, is the best-known symbol of Christianity.
5. Many early religions used ALTARS for their sacrifices and offerings, and the tradition was adopted by later religions and worshipers.
6. The NARTHEX is usually separated from the nave by columns or a pierced wall, and in Byzantine churches the space is divided into two parts.
7. Once I read an interesting statement about His Holiness and Beatitude Ilia II who always blesses the ORTHODOX CONGREGATION of Abkhazia with special warmth and love.
8. Many Russian Orthodox churches are distinguished by their verticality, bright colours and multiple DOMES, which provide a striking contrast with the flat Russian landscape, often covered in snow.
9. ICON SCREEN is a screen or wall which serves as a stable support for icons and marks the boundary between the nave and the altar or sanctuary.
10. We LIGHT a CANDLE for many purposes: to illuminate darkness, dedicate prayers, solidify intentions, offer blessings.
11. CANDLE DESK is a special place at the church, where people can buy candles and icons before and after services.
12. In Christian theology, the death and RESURRECTION of Jesus are the most important events, a foundation of the Christian faith.
13. The most prominent feature of an Orthodox church is the Iconostasis, consisting of one or more rows of Icons and broken by the HOLY DOORS and a door at each side.
14. There are monasteries and monks, and the people faithfully VENERATE the Three Jewels and icons.
15. An ICON CORNER is the family's place of worship, also called the home altar.
16. INCENSE is a material composed of aromatic organic materials that release fragrant smoke when burned.
17. A CENSER is a small metal or stone dish used for burning incense.
18. A SANCTUARY, in its original meaning, is a sacred place, such as a shrine.
19. The SOLEA projects beyond the iconostasis, forming a narrow walkway running the full length of the iconostasis.
20. In religious practice, a CHALICE is often used for drinking during a ceremony or may carry a certain symbolic meaning.
21. A TABERNACLE is a fixed, locked box in which, in some Christian churches, the Eucharist is stored.
22. A DISKOS is a small plate, usually made of silver or gold, used to hold Eucharistic bread which is to be consecrated during the Mass.
23. ANOINTING is the ritual act of pouring aromatic oil over a person's head or entire body.
24. COMMUNION wine in the Coptic Church today, as in most Orthodox churches, is distributed by a long-handled spoon which scoops the wine from the chalice into the mouth.
25. The practice of using intricate PROSPHORA seals goes back to the times of the Christian Persecution when decorative motifs were designed to mask the image of the cross.
26. At the PROSKOMEDIA, the priest cuts a large cube-shaped piece of bread called the Lamb and places it at the center of the plate called the paten.
27. THE LITTLE ENTRANCE symbolises the Incarnation of Christ and his baptism in the Jordan River: the deacon representing John the Baptist, and the priest representing Christ.
28. Fourteen letters, also called EPISTLES, which are ascribed to the apostle Paul are included in the holy scriptures of the New Testament Church.
29. The LITANY begins every liturgical service of the Orthodox Church, as well as virtually all sacraments and special services.
30. For Orthodox Christians, the CREED serves to reaffirm our faith every time we recite it.
31. The ANTIDORON is ordinary leavened bread which is blessed but not consecrated and distributed in Eastern Orthodox Churches and Eastern Catholic Churches.
32. CHRISMATION, the gift of the Holy Spirit, is performed in the Orthodox Church by anointing all parts of the person's body with the special oil called holy chrism.
33. Orthodox infants are traditionally named on the eighth day of life in a special service conducted either in the home or in church called NAME-GIVING.
34. GODPARENTS must have been baptized in the Orthodox Church, must be in full sacramental communion, and must be a member in good standing of a local Orthodox parish.
35. Holy CHRISM is a mixture of olive oil and balsam, an aromatic resin.
36. ORDINATION is the process by which individuals are consecrated, that is, set apart and elevated from the laity class to the clergy.
37. PASTORAL CHARGE consists of one or more congregations under the spiritual leadership of a minister or ministry team.
38. The ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE was among the first to participate in the formation and development of the ecumenical movement.
39. APOSTASY in Christianity is the rejection of Christianity by someone who formerly was a Christian or who wishes to be removed from church members.
40. The author states the fact that there are two theological methods: the old, or patristic; and the new, or SCHOLASTIC.
41. RELIGIOUS DISPUTES require me to think creatively, respectfully, and judiciously to work with disputes that revolve around people's most sensitive beliefs.
42. ROMAN CATHOLICISM comprises the beliefs and practices of the Roman Catholic Church.
43. For HIGH-CHURCH ANGLICAN, doctrine is neither established by a magisterium, nor derived from the theology of an eponymous founder.
44. A THEOLOGIAN is someone who studies the nature of God, religion, and religious beliefs.
45. THE POPE is the Bishop of Rome, and thereby the world leader of the Catholic Church.
46. CHRISTENDOM is best and most succinctly defined in traditional ecclesiological terms as the Church Militant.
47. BASIL entered into connections with the West, and with the help of ATHANASIUS, he tried to overcome its distrustful attitude toward the Homoiousians.
48. It should be emphasized that Russian participation in the life of LEVANTINE Orthodoxy was significantly less active than in the Balkans or the Caucasus.
49. In the original, lacking punctuation, it would be unclear whether the VOICE WAS CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS or crying out that in the wilderness a way should be prepared.
50. MONOPHYSITE, in Christianity, is one who believed that Jesus Christ’s nature remains altogether divine and not human even though he has taken on an earthly and human body with its cycle of birth, life, and death.
D.S. [(25) 39]
ANOINTIG WITH OIL is one of the SACRAMENTS which usually takes place during the GREAT LENT.
ANOINTING WITH OIL is the SACRAMENT of SPIRITUAL HEALING and RECONCILIATION.
In our church participating in ANOINTING doesn’t require CONFESSION before it, because we believe that all the sins are FORGIVEN during the SACRAMENT.
Usually seven extracts from the EPISTLES and the GOSPEL are read during the SERVICE, then people are ANOINTED on the forehead, breast and hands as many times as there are PRIESTS.
At the end of the SERVICE the PRAYER OF ABSOLUTION is read.
The SERVICE needs the special DISH with wheat in it, seven CANDLES, seven COTTON BUDS, a CUP for mixing OIL and wine, the PRIEST’S HAND CROSS and the GOSPEL.
BAPTISM and CHRISTMATION are the SACRAMENTS through which a person becomes a CHRISTIAN.
I was BAPTISED when I was about 40 days old.
My mother’s friends became my GODMOTHER and GODFATHER.
I became a GODMOTHER two years ago.
Almost all babies when they are IMMERSED in the FONT cry.
CONFESSION is the SACRAMENT when a PARISHIONER asks GOD for forgiveness of his sins through a PRIEST.
The PENITENTS often KNEEL before the GOSPEL BOOK and CROSS.
MARRIAGE is the MYSTERY through which two people become one, become MAN AND WIFE.
V.N. [(10) 73,5]
1) Many people believe that the main aim of ANOINTING WITH OIL is physical healing, but the true goals are SPIRITUAL HEALING and RECONCILIATION WITH GOD.
2) MONOPHYSITES paid too little attention to THE FULLNESS OF CHRIST’S MANHOOD, but we need to remember that Christ is TRULY GOD AND TRULY MAN.
3) THE VIRGIN MARY, MOTHER OF GOD is a very “popular” saint among the Russian people, if I may say so, people turn to her with any problems and hope for her intercession before the Lord.
J.P. [(4) 64]
1) In 2000 Vladimir Putin was INAUGURATED as President of Russian Federation.
2) According to Nicene Creed, which was ADOPTED in 325, God the Son is " CONSUBSTANTIAL with the Father."
3) Pagans from Ancient Rus WORSHIPPED many gods and idols.
4) Every day I GLORIFY and thank God for my family, friends and everything I have and passed through.
5) My mother is a wise and erudite woman; she has read many books. She especially likes some works of great Russian THEOLOGIANS such as Vladimir Lossky, Pavel Florensky, Alexey Khomyakov and others.
6) My groupmate Tanya is a very diligent and studious person, I admire the PRECISION of her work.
7) In the beginning of the 19th century, Kornilov, “a man of iron will”, was appointed SUPREME commander of Russian army.
8) Nowadays it’s really important to have some COMPLEMENTARY earnings to save money for the future investments.
9) There is a priest in our parish who is a FLUENT AND ELOQUENT PREACHER. I always listen to him attentively, feeling special joy and warmth.
10) The last topic we discussed during our lessons of New Testament was “SERMON on the Mount” which I found really interesting and exciting.
11) My heart always melts with COMPASSION when I see elderly people living their last years on earth without any love and support of their children and relatives. It’s awful and base to reject your family.
12) Many Holy Fathers lead a STRICT AND AUSTERE LIFE, consecrating their lives to God and trying to get closer to spiritual perfection.
13) I feel the BURNING ZEAL for German language, and I try to learn it as fast as I can to visit this beautiful country.
14) One of my friends from my hometown isn’t baptized (her parents are atheists), but even without God in her life she is incredibly RIGHTEOUS, kind, hearted and merciful human being.
15) I’ve been dreaming of becoming a GODMOTHER since childhood. The firstborn of my brother will be my godson or goddaughter.
16) In Orthodoxy BAPTISM AND CHRISMATION are usually performed on the fortieth day after birth. However, parents can decide whenever it’s more comfortable time for them and their child due to circumstances.
17) In our church people usually CONGRATULATE each other with receiving communion.
18) I love receiving communion, it’s always like a celebration for me because you can feel a DEEP SENSE OF UNITY WITH CHRIST.
A.G. [(9) 54]
1) Statistics shows that THE MOST COMMON COMPLAINTS in Russia when seeking medical help are the quality of medical care, the rudeness of the staff, and the refusal to provide free treatment.
2) People often chase an imaginary SUPPOSED COMFORT, but they forget to live their lives with its ups and downs, sad and happy moments, they miss many unforgettable things which life gives us.
3) Our University combines spiritual and SECULAR education to make us broad-minded, cultured, erudite, thinking, and wise people.
4) You should always make a matter of CONSCIENCE and be honest with yourself and others.
5) Polytheism is a religious worldview based on the belief in PLURALITY of gods.
6) I have no DAYS OFF during the session, but I try to sleep at least six hours to have some energy.
7) There are some DISTINCTIONS between British and American English and, as for me, American is much more understandable and clear.
8) At the first lesson with Marianna Yurievna she asked us about our favorite English ADJECTIVES. I was thinking a lot and finally answered: “Russian”.
9) Russia has a VAST AREA of 17 098 246 square kilometers.
10) I love rain, fog, mist, and cold, but most people hate this weather and call it DREADFUL and nasty.
11) I like printing IN ITALICS because it makes any text look nice and always catches my eye.
12) We have to remember that some of our words can be RAISED AGAINST us and be careful and wise.
13) I always take an OBJECTION to human rudeness, greed and miserliness.
14) The problem of UNBELIEF and prejudiced attitude to religion is very acute among young people of my GENERATION.
15) This summer I’m taking a driver's license, so I have to prepare thoroughly to learn driving SKILLFULY.
16) HEBREW is an official language of Israel.
17) Many people tell me that I am an EXACT copy of my brother, but I don’t notice it.
18) The FAILURE in my attempts to do something always makes me feel unhappy and useless, but I don’t give up and try again and again.
19) It’s really important to keep an ABSOLUTE HONESTY with each other in any relationship.
20) There are many benefits of being the youngest child in the family. You can allow yourself to be mischievous and NAUGHTY, but everybody still wants to hug and kiss you because you are a cute little girl.
A.G. [(3) 45]
1) There are about thirty seven miracles that Jesus Christ performed, such as turning water into wine, bringing people back to life, HEALING OF VARIOUS DISEASES and many others.
2) For about forty years the Jewish people wandered in the WILDERNESS.
3) John the Baptist, also known as FORERUNNER, is the most honored and venerated Saint after the Theotokos in Orthodoxy.
4) According to GOD THE FATHER John the Baptist led an ANGELIC and almost IMMATERIAL WAY OF LIFE.
5) John the Forerunner BAPTISED thousands of Jews, IMMERSING them in the Jordan river.
6) An angel, a MESSENGER of the Lord, announced to the Blessed Virgin Mary the birth of the Savior.
7) Unfortunately, there are a lot of buildings and houses in our country that are abandoned and DESOLATE. They stay like this for many years without restoration and renovation.
8) There are many SYNAGOGUES in Russia. The most beautiful ones are Moscow choral synagogue, Samara choral synagogue and Chelyabinsk synagogue.
9) People often go wrong PATHS, get lost in life, become WAYWARD, and only with God in their hearts they can find themselves and their true WAY.
10) John's baptism was a baptism of repentance, it means that all people who went into the water asked God for FORGIVENESS OF THEIR SINS, humbled themselves before God in order to correct their ways.
11) REPENTANCE is an awareness of one's sin, sorrow for it and a determination not to repeat it in the future.
12) Many of us made mistakes, but our God is merciful and will BESTOW the forgiveness of sins.
13) There are a lot of beautiful quotations that inspire and SUMMON people to become kinder; for example my favorite one is by Mark Twain: “Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.”
14) John the Baptist is usually depicted in clothing made of CAMEL’S HAIR, belted with a LEATHER BELT, holding a parchment.
15) The biggest phobias I have are related to different insects: spiders, LOCUSTS, cockroaches and many others.
16) November 15 is an official national MOURNING day in Germany, dedicated to the victims of wars.
17) MARRIAGE, as one of the sacraments of the Orthodox Church, is an unbreakable and ETERNAL Union of man and woman.
18) COMPLETE LOVE, respect and loyalty are the main aspects of happy marriage.
19) I have been dreaming about living abroad and learning new languages my ENTIRE LIFE.
20) This year my grandparents celebrated fifty years together since their ENGAGEMENT.
21) My parents are great example of living long happy life in marriage. They are a beautiful and harmonious COUPLE.
A.G. [(9) 42]
At the beginning of the LITURGY a LITANY is chanted by the DEACON and then the choir sing the PSALMS.
There are a lot of LITANIES during THE DIVINE LITURGY, VESPERS, MATINS, THE SACRAMENTS and other SERVICES.
If there is no DEACON the PRIEST SAYS the LITANIES.
During the DIVINE LITURGY, there are two ENTRANCES.
The LITTLE ENTRANCE occurs before the reading of the EPISTLE and the HOLY GOSPEL.
During the LITTLE ENTRANCE the HOLY GOSPEL is taken by a PRIEST and it is carried by a DEACON.
The EPISTLE is read by SERVERS in our church.
An extract from the LETTERS or BOOK OF ACTS OF THE APOSTLES is read before the GOSPEL.
The GOSPEL is read by a DEACON, who stands on the SOLEA towards the SANCTUARY.
In our PARISH a SERMON is often PREACHED after the GOSPEL.
During the PREPARATION the sing the CHERUBIC HYMN “to the LIFE-GIVING TRINITY”.
The GREAT ENTRANCE takes place during the chanting of the CHERUBIC HYMN.
On Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday there are two unique CHERUBIC HYMNS.
During the CHERUBIC HYMN the DEACON BURNS INCENSE and CENSES the SANCTUARY, ICONOSTASIS, CLERGY and all people in the church.
The CHERUBIC HYMN is divided by the GREAT ENTRANCE into two parts.
I recently learnt that the GREAT ENTRANCE is a symbol of the ENTRY OF CHRIST INTO JERUSALEM.
During the LITURGY the CREED and the ‘OUR FATHER’ is sung by all people in the church.
People who wish to PARTAKE IN COMMUNION have to prepare themselves by PRAYERS and FASTING.
In our church the children are first to RECEIVE COMMUNION, then the men and women LINE UP.
People who RECEIVED COMMUNION are given ANTIDORON and some reduced wine.
After the LITURGY the PRIEST says a SERMON and after it the THANKSGIVING PRAYERS are read and people CONGRATULATE those who RECEIVED COMMUNION.
The CREED is a PRAYER where all main Christian beliefs are stated.
V.N. [(16) 63,5]
1. Saint GREGORY OF NAZIANZUS (or saint GREGORY THE THEOLOGIAN) wrote that MARRIAGE does not move away from God but more attaches to Him.
2. Life in marriage can be compared with the AUSTERE life or with MARTYRDOM, for husband and wife DENY themselves FOR THE OTHER.
3. Nowadays many ELOQUENT PREACHERS admonish in their SERMONS to take seriously the choice of the future husband.
4. Saint JOHN CHRYSOSTOM in his writings wrote that there are two purposes of MARRIAGE: to save chastity and to give birth to children, but the first one is more important.
5. The main doctrine in Christianity – the TRINITARIAN DOCTRINE – explains that God is three persons in one essence (CONSUBSTANTIAL).
T.Sh. [(10,5) 120]
1) PAGANISM is not widely spread in the modern world, but it used to be the dominant religion in many countries.
2) There was no THE OFFICIAL TOLERATION OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH in the Roman Empire at the early Cristian period.
3) I watched a historical documentary about Slavic tribes, it said that in PAGAN RITES people used animal bones and skulls, as well as HUMAN SACRIFICES.
4) I know a lot about THE FIRST GATHERING at Nicaea, because we talked about it at our religious lessons last year.
5) The mystery of THE TRINITY AND THE INCARNATION is beyond human understanding, but theologians still try to get closer to the essence of these phenomena.
6) A person can easily DEVIATE INTO ERROR AND HERESY because of our complete SINFULNESS and blindness, but God always takes care of us and helps not to do that.
7) My whole life is dedicated to ATTAINING SALVATION, and more than anything else I fear that I will not succeed.
8) The depths of the seas are full of frightening ugly CREATURES, as well as very beautiful and magnificent creatures.
9) Some heresies deny that there is ONENESS IN GOD, but that IMPAIRED THE TEACHING OF THE NEW TESTAMENT and THE OLD TESTAMENT.
10) SAINT JOHN CHRYSOSTOM IS A FLUENT AND ELOQUENT PREACHER, and our family considers him their patron saint because he helped us invisibly many times.
11) The priest from our church uses ready-made SERMONS very rarely, most often he writes them himself.
12) A priest from our church recently purchased a new FONT with donations from parishioners.
13) I have both a GODFATHER and a GODMOTHER, but I learned in our classes that you can only have one of your gender and that’s enough.
14) My family and I go to IMMERSE into ice hole every year for Epiphany.
15) My mother still keeps my BAPTISMAL ROBE in a special box in memory of that bright event.
16) When I’m a PENITENT I’m always very nervous, I am afraid, but don’t know why, and after the PRAYERS OF ABSOLUTION I feel relief, because I am RELEASED FROM MY SINS now.
17) I always ASK A PRIEST FOR A BLESSING when I want to do something important for me.
18) THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM symbolises that you have RENOUNCED EVIL and TURNED TO CHRIST, and at the end of it the person gets their BAPTISMAL CROSS.
19) People should strive for BEING ‘DEIFIED’, because this is the essence of SALVATION, and the Lord became INCARNATE to give us that opportunity.
J.P. [(16) 60]
1) Most of the CHRISTIANS were BAPTISED being
a small babies.
2) CHRISMATION is one of the few MYSTERIES received once in a lifetime. It provides strength for the living of a Christian life and is called a SACRAMENTAL personal PENTECOST.
3) I have both GODPARENTS: a GODFATHER and a GODMOTHER.
4) According to ORTHODOX TRADITION I was given only one name - of the Saint Nadezhda. But my best friend has two names because the first one isn't CHRISTIAN and the other one he recieved after the PRAYERS OF NAME-GIVING.
5) I have seen a few times babies IMMERSED in the holy WATER IN THE FONT.
6) My mother keeps my BAPTISMAL BOX which holds my BAPTISMAL ROBE and a small tuft of TONSURED hair.
7) As we know we CONFESS our SINS not before the PRIEST but before GOD, to feel REPENTANCE and to turn our heart to healing and FORGIVENESS from the HOLY TRINITY. After this SACRAMENT the PENITENT must turn away from a SIDE-TRACK and turn towards the goal of the KINGDOM OF GOD.
8) After the PARISHIONER has been read the prayer of ABSOLUTION by which he is RELEASED FROM HIS SINS under the priest's STOLE, he may CROSS himself, kiss the HAND CROSS, the GOSPEL and ask the priest for a BLESSING.
N.A. [(12) 72]
1) According to the Epistle of St. Paul to EPHESIANS through the SACRAMENT OF MARRIAGE two persons "BECOME ONE FLESH".
2) In our tradition we haven't BETROTHAL in the church.
3) After the LITANIES the couple ARE CROWNED in the NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SON, AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
4) The MARRIAGE CROWNS are the symbol of DENYING ONESELF FOR THE OTHER. Also they are heavy and the crowns of the MARTYRS can represent that the couple ought to be WITNESS TO CHRIST.
5) During the wedding THE WEDDED hold THE WEDDING CANDLES.
6) Usually the couple kiss in front of the SOLEA. Before being congratulated by friends and family they kiss the ICONS of CHRIST and THE MOTHER OF OUR GOD.
N.A. [(8) 60]
After centuries of oppression and persecution, THE VISIBLE ORGANIZATION OF THE CHURCH was extremely important, and this step makes me admire our Church and its COUNCIL.
I believe that every priest should be A FLUENT AND ELOQUENT PREACHER, and every SERMON should bring new people to the Church.
In my opinion, the head of the Church should not only have theological knowledge, but also have A BURNING ZEAL FOR SOCIAL RIGHTEOUSNESS.
It's hard for me to imagine what kind of love for the CREATION it takes to assent to THE INCARNATION and suffering for THE SALVATION of man from his SINFULNESS, to die and rise from the dead to destroy THE BONDAGE OF SIN AND DEATH of humanity, to give us the blessed REDEMPTION.
I believe that a true Christian cannot be contemptuous of non-believers, because THE CENTRAL MESSAGE OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH is Love, without which it is impossible TO ATTAIN FULL SALVATION and ACHIEVE UNION WITH GOD, for being with us in the flesh, God wanted us to be merciful and loving.
We cannot agree with those religions that honor Jesus Christ as a great prophet and ascetic: this is not enough, for we know that He was FULLY MAN and FULLY GOD, HIS MANHOOD and HIS GODHEAD were inseparable in him.
I once attended
a Baptism when I was too young to be a GODMOTHER, but that time I had a chance to see what was stored in the BAPTISMAL BOX.
In Catholicism it is customary to add a little salt to the WATER IN THE FONT.
Many non-believers find it reprehensible that GOD-PARENTS say THE CREED ON BEHALF OF THE NEWLY-BAPTIZED BABY, since this should be a conscious choice, but I do not see anything wrong with this, because a person should be consecrated to God as early as possible.
It is very dear to me that I still wear the same CROSS OF THE NEWLY BAPTISED and my mother still keeps my BAPTISMAL ROBE.
I cannot compare with anything that feeling at the moment of CONFESSION, when the head is covered with the EPITRACHILION, and the priest says THE PRAYERS OF ABSOLUTION.
E.D. [(13) 68,5]
1. PARISHIONERS usually ASK A PRIEST FOR A BLESSING when they are to make an important decision or when they’re going to travel to a different country.
2. Coming to
the CONFESSION, a PENITENT often has a HEARTACHE and wants to receive spiritual guidance from the priest.
3. After the PRAYERS OF ABSOLUTION, Christians are RELEASED from their sins and they can hope to achieve UNION WITH GOD.
4. The priest wearing the STOLE or EPITRACHILION represents the DIVINE PRESENCE and gives us the DEVOTIONAL teaching.
5. I believe that the main purpose of our life is TO BE ‘DEIFIED’ as SAINT ATHANASIUS said: ‘God became man that we might be made god’.
T.Sh. [(5) 109,4]
1. Nowadays in Russia, people are usually BAPTISED in their infancy, but at the end of the 20th century there were a lot of BABES-IN-CHRIST who were adults when they were IMMERSED in the water.
2. I’ve never been a GODMOTHER because GODPARENTS should take responsibility for their godchildren, and I find it really burdensome.
3. The words ‘AS MANY AS HAVE BEEN BAPTISED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST’, which are found in the Epistle of St. Paul to the GALATIANS, are read not only when a person is baptised but also on the Great Saturday.
4. Every year his Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia blesses the CHRISM in the Donskoy Monastery, after that the priests ANOINT different parts of humans’ bodies with it during
5. The BAPTISMAL CROSS, which every Christian wears, symbolizes that a person has RENOUNCED EVIL and TURNED TO CHRIST.
T.Sh. [(6,5) 104,4]
1 There are different DEGREES OF THE PRIESTHOOD in the Orthodox Church.
2 After BAPTISM and CHRISMATION, you can PARTAKE IN THE MYSTERIES of the Church.
The ORDINATION is only for men, women can’t be priests.
4 When a priest preaches form the AMBO, he usually holds a PRIEST’S HAND CROSS before him.
The CONFESSION always takes places before the COMMUNION.
1 PAGANISM and PAGAN RITES were popular in the ancient world before THE INCARNATION and birth of Jesus Christ.
2 When we receive COMMUNION, we ATTAIN full SALVATION.
3 TO ACHIEVE UNION WITH GOD you need to partake in the SACRED ACTS which we call mysteries.
4 Jesus Christ is both FULLY MAN and FULLY GOD, and we must not DEVIATE INTO ERROR AND HERESY, saying the he is only God or that he is only
5 We are the God’s CREATURES who can also be DEIFIED.
1 When someone is seriously ill and can’t go to the service, the priest takes the TABERNACLE with HOLY GIFTS and gives COMMUNION at home, also he can ANOINT the ill man WITH OIL.
2 All Christians believe in the Holy TRINITY.
3 During the HOLY WEEK we remember sufferings of Jesus Christ on the cross.
4 THE ACCEPTANCE OF CHRIST’S WORDS is a true faith.
5 THE CLERGY consists of men who went through ORDINATION.
A.R. [(14,5) 73]
1. In our family parents always try to arrange the SACRAMENTS of BAPTISM and CHRISMATION so that they take place as soon as possible.
2. In the ORTHODOX TRADITION during the PRAYERS of NAME GIVING only one name is given to a child.
3. My favourite shape of the FONT is the one in the shape of THE CROSS.
4. As I became a GODMOTHER I answered for the baby as I RENOUNCED
THE EVIL AND TURNED TO CHRIST in the church.
5. Although the tradition of having two GODPARENTS is superfluous, I find it more appealing to have both a GODMOTHER and a GODFATHER.
6. Any person may CONDUCT the SACRAMENT of BAPTISM in an extreme situation as every BAPTISED person is basically a PRIEST.
7. The IMMERSION in the FONT symbolizes CHRIST'S DEATH on the CROSS and His burial.
8. Nowadays one can buy beautiful BAPTISMAL ROBES in such shops as Sophia.
9. I don't wear my BAPTISMAL CROSS as my Mother doesn't want me to lose it.
10. After the baby is ANOINTED with CHRISM it is important not to touch the parts of body which have been ANOINTED.
11. The CHRISM is then WIPED OFF with a special SPONGE.
12. The TUFT OF HAIR TONSURED or CUT as the sign of DEDICATION to CHRIST is then SEALED in the WAX.
13. I have discovered that the whole text of the SERMON ON THE MOUNT is dedicated to the SALVATION OF MAN.
14. Only CHRIST is able to overcome the SINFULNESS of
the man which separated us from THE UNION WITH GOD.
15. People who can't comprehend that CHRIST is FULLY MAN and FULLY GOD inevitably become heretics.
S.P. [(11) 83]
1) THE CREED
OR THE CREED OF LIFE contains MOMENTOUS truths of ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN BELIEFS.
2) During the EPICLESIS the PRIEST asks for GRANTING THE HOLY SPIRIT and the CHOIR sings A MERCY OF PEACE.
3) During the GREAT ENTRANCE PRAYERS ARE OFFERED FOR all people in the country and the CHOIR sings the CHERUBIC HYMN.
4) Only those LINE UP FOR COMMUNION who had CONFESSED and received THE BLESSING from THE PRIEST.
5) I didn't know the fact that I should not KISS THE PRIEST'S HAND if I had RECEIVED COMMUNION.
N.A. [(4) 52]
1. I think that during the time of Emperor NERO, THE AGE OF THE MARTYRS AND THE PERSECUTIONS no one but true believers could have thought that THE CHURCH OF THE CATACOMBS would soon become the CHURCH OF THE EMPIRE.
I believe that the Christians of that time were blessed for their patience and suffering: they were granted THE OFFICIAL TOLERATION OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH according to the "EDICT" OF MILAN and the most precious thing - in my opinion - FUNDAMENTAL DOCTRINES OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH: THE TRINITY and THE INCARNATION.
Of course, I understand that Christians
have realized and believed exactly these doctrines before, but THE ECUMENICAL COUNCILS formulated the foundations of faith to prevent people from DEVIATING INTO ERROR AND HERESY.
In my opinion, the greatest achievement of the Christian world of that time are GREAT SEES OR PATRIARCHATES which became a symbol of THE GATHERING of THE CHRISTIAN EMPIRE, the final break with THE OLD ROME and it’s PAGAN RITES.
2. When I was a child, my parents did their best to make THE TRADITIONS OF THE CHURCH a part of my life. Every Sunday we became part of the body of the church by attending the CELEBRATION of THE EUCHARIST. During Great Lent it seemed to me that all nature weeps over CHRIST'S CRUCIFIXION. Every Easter I would wait for the exclamation "CHRIST IS RISEN". I was explained
to me the meaning of THE PENTECOST and the miracle of the DESCENT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT ON THE APOSTLES - when I became old enough to understand this. THE IMMORTALITY of the soul, the SACRAMENTAL LIFE OF THE CHURCH - all this has been in my life since childhood and I am not going to change anything.
3. The names of the books of the new and OLD TESTAMENTS, as well as the names of persons who appear in them, are very unusual to the Russian ear and eye. However, I like that in English we distinguish between the APOSTLE Jude and the traitor - we use different names: JUDE and JUDAS ISCARIOT. The difference also stands out between the Old Testament and the New Testament personas: JACOB is for Old Testament and James, like in «EPISTLE OF JAMES» - for the New Testament. It is much more difficult to remember the difference between the names of the prophets ELIJAH and ELISHA.
However, the most difficult thing for me is the numbering and titles of the books of the Old Testament. Let's look at some examples: in Russian, we have four Books of Kings. In English, they are divided into 2 groups: 1 SAMUEL and 2 SAMUEL and then 1 KINGS and 2 KINGS. What’s more: we have three books (two of them are considered Apocrypha) called 1 ESDRAS and 2 ESDRAS, while one (which is quite approved) is called EZRA while in Russian the names of the books sound the same.
In fact, most of the differences can be explained logically. For example, names that start with the vowel sound in Russian, start with the letter "h" in English, like HABAKKUK, HOSEA, HAGGAI. In addition, where in Russian we use the sound "v", in English we use the sound "b", as in 1 MACCABEES, 2 MACCABEES, BARUCH, OBADIAH.
Anyway, to know and remember all the differences and subtleties is necessary so as not to be in an awkward position.
E.D. [(22) 55,5]
1) In THE UPPER ROOM LORD JESUS CHRIST gave His DISCIPLES the means of
2) We should PARTAKE in
the COMMINION without the slightest doubt in their truth and with the strong FAITH in the HOLY SPIRIT SENT DOWN on these GIFTS.
3) Nowadays THE ALTAR LOAVES aren't baked by the MEMBERS OF CONGREGATION but they are bought by them.
4) The PRIEST'S PARYER of THE ANTIPHONS consists in the mentioning of GATHERING TOGETHER in THE NAME OF
THE GOD and GRANTING THE REQUESTS.
5) CHRISTIAN tradition teaches not to CROSS yourself before
THE COMMINION in order not to UPSET THE CHALICE.
N.A. [(4) 48]
1. Every Christian should know at least two prayers: OUR FATHER and the CREED which contains the main doctrines of our faith: the TRINITY and the INCARNATION.
2. Just before
the COMMUNION the HOLY DOORS are opened and people prostrate themselves when the priest proclaims: ‘IN FEAR OF GOD, IN FAITH AND LOVE DRAW NEAR’.
3. The GREAT ENTRANCE, when the priest carries the gifts of bread and wine from the TABLE OF OBLATION while the CHOIR sings the CHERUBIC HYMN, symbolizes the Entrance of the Lord into Jerusalem.
4. Through the SERMONS priests praise the name of the LIFE-GIVING TRINITY, and the parishioners rejoice in the COMING OF CHRIST.
5. In order for the faithful not to DEVIATE INTO ERROR AND HERESY in religious views the SEVEN COUNCILS were SUMMONED.
T.Sh. [(7,5) 98]
I believe that PAGANISM is returning in the life of modern people in changed forms.
In the Cathedral of my hometown each parishioner is usually given ANTIDORON.
There's a tradition in our gymnasium's church to sing "OUR FATHER" and THE CREED together.
Sometimes our church orders extra amount of PROSPHORAS to supply every parishioner with them.
I believe that nobody can get any virus from RECEIVING COMMUNION by the same SPOON and CHALICE.
E.D. [(3,5) 33,5]
During the LITTLE ENTRANCE THE GOSPEL book is laid on THE HOLY TABLE.
In comparison with the CATHOLIC priests, the ORTHODOX PRIEST OR DEACON who reads the EPISTLE, the GOSPEL
or THE APOSTLE, is turned towards the SANCTUARY, not towards the people.
In some PARISHES THE SERMON follows the reading of the HOLY SCRIPTURE.
the LITANIES we pray for the whole world with peace in our souls.
During the GREAT ENTRANCE the CHERUBIC HYMN is sung and the PRIEST AND DEACON carry the HOLY GIFTS from the TABLE OF OBLATION to THE HOLY TABLE and pray for the CHURCH AUTHORITIES, the choir and all the people in the church and all ORTHODOX people.
The CREED is the statement of what the ORTHODOX believe in and is sung before
The whole LITURGY has a lot of prayers of THANKSGIVING as the people are grateful to JESUS CHRIST for all the mercies He has given us.
The LAMB which is divided in FOUR PARTS, during the COMMUNION symbolises JESUS CHRIST.
ORTHODOX PEOPLE receive the HOLY COMMUNION just after
the BAPTISM and CHRISMATION as it is the most important MYSTERY OF ALL.
The people normally LINE UP TO KISS THE CROSS and THE PRIEST’S hand but during the pandemic the priest touches other people’s heads with the CROSS.
People normally say
the PRAYERS OF THANKSGIVING after the HOLY COMMUNION.
the pieces of ANDIDORON are shared among the COMMUNICANTS.
THE SHAPE OF THE LITURGY is a majestic and formidable work of art.
For IGNATIUS the LOCAL COMMUNITY OF THE CHURCH represents the CHURCH IN ITS FULLNESS as the MYSTERY of the EUCHARIST IS CELEBRATED.
ORTHODOX TRADITION based on the teachings of IGNATIUS
and thinks of the CHIRCH as of a EUCHARISTIC SOCIETY rather than OUTWARD ORGANISATION, which, however necessary, is secondary to the INNER SACRAMENTAL LIFE of the CHURCH.
The PONTIFICAL LITURGY with THE BISHOP standing in the middle of his FLOCK symbolises, according to IGNATIUS, the centre of the COMMUNITY.
MARTYR BISHOP SAINT CYPRIAN OF CARTHAGE touches upon the idea of the WIDER UNITY of the CHURCH.
In comparison with the 20th century the PERSECUTIONS used to be LOCAL IN CHARACTER AND LIMITED IN DURATION.
Contemporary AUTHORITIES do not often spare A LARGE SHARE OF TOLERATION towards the ORTHODOX CHURCH.
THE SPIRITUAL OUTLOOK OF modern CHRISTIANS differs from that of the EARLY CHRISTIANS, who believed that MARTYRDOM had a central part in their lives.
In the world's most famous novel the “Brothers Karamazov” the idea that the CHURCH is FOUNDED UPON BLOOD is discussed in the Legend of the Grand Inquisitor.
Despite the ESTABLISHMENT of the CHURCH and lack of PERSECUTION, certain people undertake MONASTIC ASCETIC LIVES, which is sometimes compared with MARTYRDOM.
Nowadays people still UNDERGO MARTYRDOM OF BLOOD, but we seldom learn about these unknown MARTYRS.
S.P. [(15) 72]
During the EPICLESIS bread and wine are CONSECRATED and become the PRECIOUS BODY and the PRECIOUS BLOOD of Christ.
The priest in our church always says not TO CROSS YOURSELF before the chalice. Now I know that it can UPSET THE CHALICE.
Lots of COMMUNICANTS LINE UP FOR COMMUNION every Sunday in our church.
Our priest has to GIVE COMMUNION up to 100 times.
THE PREPARING FOR THE LITURGY is impossible without PROSPHORAS, the bread and wine, THE SPEAR, THE DISKOS, THE STAR, THE VEILS, THE AЁR.
THE LITTLE ENTRANCE also can be called 'small' or 'first'.
During the pandemic in our church COMMUNICANTS' mouths are WIPED WITH A CLOTH soaked in alcohol.
V.N. [(7,5) 47,5]
1) Sometimes I BURN INCENSE at home because I really like its sweet scent, but my sister may have a headache because of it, so I try to do it alone.
2) When I was a child, I used to confuse CENSER with chandelier, because their names sound really similar in Russian.
3) At first I wanted to become an ICONOGRAPHER and go to our university to that department, but then I changed my mind as it’s a very big responsibility.
4) THE SEPTUAGINT is a translation of THE OLD TESTAMENT from Hebrew into Greek, and it’s called that way because seventy translators made it - I learned it last semester in theology class.
5) I like admiring the ICONOSTASIS when I take part in the liturgy in a church, because it is usually the most well-decorated and beautiful part in small churches.
6) My uncle was a SERVER in our church, and when I was a child I used to ask him what he usually does in THE SANCTUARY.
7) My mother attands a course of theology at our university now, and at first she learned a lot about the PENTATEUCH, then they were told a bit about THE BOOKS CALLED APOCRYPHA, and now they are learning about THE NEW TESTAMENT.
8) I usually try to PARTAKE IN CONFESSION and COMMUNION every two weeks, but now I can’t because of the virus and it’s really bad.
9) As a child, I didn’t understand the real meaning of small LOAVES, called PROSPHORAS and I liked eating them only because they are very tasty.
10) My granny RECEIVED BAPTISM only when she was thirty.
11) When I was a child my mother tried to explain to me that THE SACRAMENTS are the acts which TRANSFIGURE the material world, but I didn’t understand her at all.
12) I have never attended any MARRIAGE, but I really want to, because it is a very beautiful and solemn MYSTERY.
13) My mother is often ill, so she RECEIVES ANOINTING WITH OIL relatively often.
14) The priest in our church always prepares well for the HOMILY.
15) I MISINTERPRET someone else’s words really often because I’m a bit inattentive.
16) I shouldn’t ANTICIPATE that I’ll get good grades in this semester because it’s not over yet.
17) MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE and JOHN were the APOSTLES who wrote the four GOSPELS.
18) ELIJAH is one of the most famous PROPHETS of the Old Testament, and my uncle was named after him.
19) Sometimes we read PSALMS before evening prayer.
20) Sometimes the DISKOS is decorated with symbolic engravings, and I find it interesting because I like symbolism.
21) PROSKOMIDIA is a unique order of the EASTERN ORTHODOX CHURCH.
22) I always get worried when I kiss THE CHALICE after Communion, as I always feel like I’m doing it the wrong way.
23) Now I know the difference between AUTOCEPHALOUS and AUTONOMOUS CHURCHES, since we discussed this topic in detail in our classes.
24) Every Orthodox Christian wears a little CRUCIFIX.
25) Many MARTYRS were STONED.
26) We must carefully study all aspects before adding anything to THE TRADITION OF THE CHURCH.
27) Everybody has IMMORTAL soul, so we should never forget about the SACRAMENTAL part of our life.
J.P. [(20) 44]
1 I have already PARTAKEN in BAPTISM, CHRISTMATION, ANOINTING WITH OIL, COMMUNION, CONFESSION.
2 To my mind, I will partake in MARRIAGE but definitely not in ORDINATION TO THE PRIESTHOOD.
3 I haven't been ANOINTED WITH OIL during the HOLY WEEK last year.
4 I have mixed feelings concerning A speedy FULL RECONCILIATION.
5 I have recently learned from our teacher that the name JUDAS is only used in THE NEW TESTAMENT while
with JUDE we can encounter only in THE OLD TESTAMENT.
N.A. [(5) 44]
1. REVELATION is one of the most mysterious books in the NEW TESTAMENT as it tells about the end of the world.
2. JESUS CHRIST established the CENTRAL MYSTERY OF THE CHURCH,
THE HOLY COMMUNION, in the UPPER ROOM just before the CRUCIFIXION. As the DISCIPLES sat around the table JUDAS ISCARIOT betrayed JESUS CHRIST.
3. In the past the BREAD for the SACRAMENT OF HOLY COMMUNION was brought by the MEMBERS OF CONGREGATION, but now PROSPHORAS are baked in a special way in the church.
4. In the SACRAMENT OF HOLY COMMUNION all faithful find
the UNITY WITH CHRIST and that is why SALVATION is not possible for those who find this SACRAMENT optional or unnecessary for the full ORTHODOX or any CHRISTIAN life.
5. The DISKOS is a special object on which
the pieces of the LAMB are put after they are BROKEN with the SPEAR.
6. During PROSKOMIDIA the priest prepares for the LITURGY.
7. During the GREAT ENTRANCE THE HOLY GIFTS are transferred from the TABLE OF OFFERING to the HOLY TABLE.
8. During the pandemic COMMUNICANTS avoid kissing the CHALICE and DEACONS or ALTAR SERVERS don’t wipe their lips with a CLOTH.
9. In the years of the PRIMITIVE CHRISTIANITY DEACONESSES (the female equivalent of the deacons) used to be able to touch THE HOLY OBJECTS and also completed missionary tasks.
10. As people LINE UP FOR COMMUNION it’s important to keep social distance in view of the pandemic.
11. In some churches dispensable SPOONS are used for the HOLY COMMUNION.
12. THE LITTLE ENTRANCE is completed at the time of the THIRD ANTIPHON.
13. During the ANAPHORA EPICLESIS is read, in which the priest and the people pray for the CONSECRATION OF THE GIFTS, so that BREAD AND WINE become the TRUE BLOOD AND BODY OF JESUS CHRIST.
14. I during the singing of the CREED the priests take the VEIL and wave it above the CHALICE.
15. It is an ancient tradition as in the times of the PRIMITIVE CHRISTIANITY priests used to wave the flies away from the CHALICE.
S.P. [(17) 57]
1. On the Great Thursday Orthodox Christians commemorate the event that took place in the UPPER ROOM when Jesus Christ established the Holy COMMUNION which now takes place at every Liturgy.
2. COMMUNICANTS in this greatest Sacrament want to receive Christ Himself according to His words: ‘WHOEVER EATS MY FLESH AND DRINKS MY BLOOD ABIDES IN ME AND I IN HIM’.
3. Due to the pandemic restrictions priests don’t wipe our mouth with a CLOTH now and we are not allowed to KISS THE CHALICE, though they still can give Communion with a SPOON.
4. Every Sunday Christians write the lists for the living and for the departed and give it to the CANDLE DESK, then they get one or two PROSPHORAS, while the priest in the altar prays for all mentioned people that the Lord will FULFIL the PETITIONS.
5. Apostle Paul in his EPISTLE TO TITUS gives EXPEDIENT advice to all the Christian CONGREGATION - both to the priests and elders, men and women, slaves, and all the people who desire to live a chaste and virtuous life.
T.Sh. [(6,5) 90,5]
The HOLY SPIRIT acts through the SACRAMENTS and BLESSES the human beings and TRANSFIGURES the souls of the faithful.
CHRISMATION is usually part of the MYSTERY of BAPTISM.
ANOINTING WITH OIL is the SACRAMENT which releases us from the sins we have forgotten and not confessed as part of the CONFESSION.
THE HOLY COMMUNION is a repetitive sacrament which unites us with Christ.
Only ORTHODOX are to PARTAKE in the MYSTERIES.
According to the ORTHODOX canon law we haven’t yet achieved full RECONCILIATION as the churches aren’t yet UNITED.
MARRIAGE is the SACRAMENT which represents the HOLY TRINITY with the parents and the child.
ORDINATION takes place only once in a lifetime, but as the priest is CONSECRATED BISHOP the SACRAMENT is repeated on the new level.
S.P. [(8) 40]
I used to PARTAKE IN CONFESSION and COMMUNION every week before I entered university.
I RECEIVED BAPTISM and CHRISMATION when I was about a month and a half.
My family and I annually RECEIVE ANOINTING WITH OIL during the Great Lent.
The MYSTERY of MARRIAGE is given to the Orthodox only once as well as THE SACRAMENTS of BAPTISM, CHRISMATION and PRIESTHOOD.
In Orthodox church only men can PARTAKE IN the SACRAMENT of PRIESTHOOD.
V.N. [(5) 40]
1 INCENSE is known since the Old Testament times, the priests in those times also CENSED in the temple and this FRAGRANCE was dedicated to God.
2 Nowadays THE HOLY TABLE and the TABLE OF OBLATION is hidden by an ICONOSTASIS, but in the times of THE PRIMITIVE CHURCH there wasn’t such a big barrier and everyone could see what the priest was doing.
is always takes place before the CHRISTIAN WORSHIP, the priest prepares the HOLY GIFTS and takes PARTICLES from five ALTAR LOAVES using a SPEAR, and puts them into the CHALICE with a wine that is mixed with water.
4 When it is time to GIVE
A COMMUNION, the priest gives a PARTICLE of the LOAF and some wine on THE SPOON to a man, in which we believe that it is the body and the blood of Jesus Christ.
5 I remember a very important thought from the 2 CORINTHIANS 1:8-11, when Paul the Apostle wrote that we need to pray FOR THE LIVING.
A.R. [(8) 58,5]
1 There are a lot of MARTYR BISHOPS in the history of the Church, as It is FOUNDED UPON BLOOD of those who SUFFERED PERSECUTIONS.
2 Monks usually live the ASCETIC LIFE, they FAST and they ABANDON EVERYTHING they have for GOD’S SAKE.
3 Orthodox Church is CATHOLIC and CONCILIAR, it means that there were many COUNCILS at which the rules of the Church were formulated.
4 In the fourth century the Roman Empire EMBRACED THE CHRISTIAN FAITH, so the faith became ESTABLISHED and there were a lot of GENTILE CONVERTS.
5 A HOMILY is a very important part in the CHRISTIAN WORSHIP, the priest preaches from the AMBO to his FLOCK like
the Christ once did in the past.
A.R. [(8) 31]
1 Throughout the whole year in the Church we read the Gospel according to MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE and JOHN at the CHRISTIAN WORSHIP.
2 THE PERSECUTION to CELEBRATES THE LITURGY took place in USSR as there wasn’t TRADITIONAL ALLIANCE BETWEEN CHURCH AND STATE.
3 We believe that THE EUCHARIST cleanses our sins and gives us IMMORTALITY into the eternal life.
4 THE SUPPER OF THE LORD is a protoplast of THE EUCHARIST.
5 If you are a Christian priest you should take part in the SACRAMENTAL LIFE of the Church and CELEBRATE THE EUCHARIST rather often.
A.R. [(6) 23]
1. PARTAKING IN THE MYSTERIES the Orthodox Christians TRANSFIGURE their souls.
2. In 1 TIMOTHY Apostle Paul wrote about the necessary qualifications for receiving ORDINATION and to perform the SACRED ACTS.
3. Apostle Paul in the Epistle to the COLOSSIANS (Col. 2:11-15) claims that the circumcision in the Old Testament is a symbol of the Holy BAPTISM.
4. The HOLY WEEK is a special period of time when all Christians try to attend the divine Liturgies, to CONFESS their sins and to receive COMMUNION on the Holy Thursday and Saturday.
5. After the Great Schism Orthodox Christians realized that they shouldn’t ANTICIPATE A FULL RECONCILIATION with NON-ORTHODOX, TAKING PART IN THE MYSTERIES TOGETHER.
T.Sh. [(6,5) 84]
the sins I fell like JUDAS ISCARIOT every now and then.
2. I wish to know ancient Greek to read THE SEPTUAGINT from beginning to end.
have never heard the collocation THREE-BAR CROSS before the reading of "Orthodox Mysteries".
4. When I feel I am PERISHING I remember The Cross as the sign of Salvation.
5. My departed grandfather was given Communion with the use of THE TABERNACLE.
N.A. [(2) 39]
1) One of my friends was going to study at the Kuban State University, however at the supreme moment he decided to go to a THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE in Moscow wich was a great choice.
2) The inner part of my favorite church in my hometown is really beautiful. There you can see the BYZANTINE THREE-BAR CROSS, ornate ICONOSTASIS, some columns. There are always some flowers (white roses) standing near the icon of Theotokos.
3) The church in our PARISH is small, but very homely and cozy especially because of people. It’s always warm and nice there.
A.G. [(2) 33]
Whenever I am in the Trinity Sergius Lavra, I write a COMMEMORATION note FOR THE LIVING in the Trinity Cathedral.
In our church the ICONOSTASIS is quite small, but absolutely beautiful and elaborately painted.
Every Friday in our church there is a service IN THE MEMORY OF THE DEPARTED.
My spiritual father was ORDAINED PRIEST when he was about 30 years old.
I think that the most difficult and important thing in our life is TO TAKE UP OUR CROSS AND FOLLOW CHRIST.
In the Apostle I love the 13th chapter of THE EPISTLE TO THE CORINTHIANS where it says about real love.
V.N. [(2,5) 14,5]
1. In Orthodoxy we VENERATE ICONS, but do not WORSHIP them - this is the most important aspect of veneration of icons.
2. ICONOGRAPHERS never leave their names on icons, but despite this we know many great names of them like Andrei Rublev, Theophan the Greek and many others.
3. We believe that an ICON is not just a painting or even just a work of art, it is a WINDOW ONTO ETERNITY.
4. My mother always reminded me and my brother the story of CAIN and ABEL when we started to fight.
5. I believe that the creation of THE SEPTUAGINT is a great achievement and a boon for the Orthodox world.
6. Knowing how to MAKE THE SIGN OF CROSS, I can tell ROMAN CATHOLICS and ANGLICANS from ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS by the way they make it.
7. I like the smell of INCENSE in church, but even more I like the sacred meaning of it.
8. As a woman, I should not enter the SANCTUARY, but as a Christian, I must know everything about its structure.
9. In our church we often have to supervise the children so that they do not climb onto the SOLEA during the service.
10. I know a young man who alone painted an entire ICONOSTASIS.
11. When I was a child I envied PRIESTS, DEACONS and SERVERS who were allowed to enter the ALTAR, but now I see that this is God's will.
12. The altar is located in the EASTERN PART OF THE CHURCH, but I was told that there is no pagan connotation in this.
13. I have always liked the Gospel of JOHN for its completeness and detail.
14. I've always been interested in THE APOCRYPHA, but so far I've only read canonical books.
15. I have always believed that asceticism is as pleasing to God as MARTYRDOM OF BLOOD.
E.D. [(10,5) 30]
1. The Holy Gospel according to MATTHEW was written for the Jews and that is the reason for the reference to specific rituals of the Old Testament.
2. The Gospel according to MARK was aimed at Gentiles who were eager to learn more about Jesus Christ and that is the shortest Gospel of all.
3. The Gospel according to LUKE is written for pagans who converted to Christ, so the Evangelist avoids the usage of the word pagan in a negative context so that not to remind the repentant pagans of their earlier lives.
4. The Gospel according to JOHN is considered the most sophisticated of all as it touches upon complex theological concepts and considers God as Logos.
5. In the ACTS of the Apostles there are certain references to the Holy Mysteries such as Chrismation and Ordination which were later used as a basis for the teaching on Mysteries.
6. In THE SECOND CORINTHIANS there is a famous hymn for Love which has spread all over the world and is well known to those who have nothing to do with Orthodoxy.
7. When a priest takes ANTIMINS in order to celebrate the Holy Liturgy he is to handle it with extreme care.
8. During the Passion Week the SEVEN BRANCHED CANDLESTICK IN OUR CHURCH flickers in the mysterious dim of the Sanctuary.
9. PROSKOMEDIA is what precedes the beginning of the Holy Liturgy and is celebrated / performed / conducted at the TABLE OF OBLATION.
10. When a bishop celebrates the Holy Liturgy SIX ALTAR LOAVES are taken instead of the usual five.
11. The COMMEMORATION notes people write during the service are then taken into the altar to be read there.
12. During the EUCHARIST water and wine are poured into the CHALICE as a representation of the water and the blood of Christ as he was pierced with the spear on the Cross.
13. During the Eucharist the priest COMMEMORATES the Orthodox authorities and all the dead.
14. One of my brightest childhood memories is that of washing the SOLEA with my mother in our village church.
S.P. [(7) 19,5]
1. Before every Liturgy Orthodox Christians write the notes FOR THE LIVING and FOR THE DEPARTED, as they want the priest to pray for them from the altar.
2. During the PROSKOMIDIA, the priest takes the PIECES from the ALTAR LOAVES.
3. The PARTICLES are taken in COMMEMORATION of the Mother of God, the Apostles, saints, prophets and also of the bishops and CIVIL AUTHORITIES.
4. The LAMB becomes the BODY OF CHRIST during the Eucharist canon, and the WINE
and WATER becomes the true BLOOD of our Lord.
5. During the Holy Liturgy, Orthodox Christians COMMEMORATE the events that were described by MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE and JOHN, such as the sufferings of the Lord on the Cross, His death and the Resurrection.
T.Sh. [(6,5) 47]
1) Every morning I say "Our Father", making the SIGN OF THE CROSS before and after the prayer.
2) The smell of INCENSE makes me feel warm and peaceful every time I go to a church.
3) I have been wearing the CROSS almost my whole life. I never take it off.
A.G. [(1,5) 10]
1) Reading THE OLD TESTAMENT was hard and challenging for me.
2) The INNERMOST PART of any church is a SANCTUARY and the most beautiful, as for me, is ICONOSTASIS.
3) This year we are having a new subject - The New Testament. During these classes we study THE GOSPEL BOOK which is really interesting.
A.G. [(2,5) 8,5]
In my church there is a big wooden CROSS, and when I was younger, I had no idea what THE INSCRIPTION 'INRI' meant.
I used to have nightmares in my childhood and when I woke up in the night, I MADE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS several times and said some prayers.
In my church there is a woman who is allowed to go into the SANCTUARY, she is a SERVER.
The senior priest of my church has a COMMEMORATION BOOK where names of all parishioners are written.
V.N. [(3) 12]
1. After the priest's preaching on the AMBO we usually come to the front part of the NAVE to venerate the saint’s RELIC.
2. At the moment when the deacon is RECITING LITANIES, the priest is standing near the TABLE OF OBLATION removing particles from the ALTAR LOAVES.
3. Priests use a CHALICE and a SPOON to administer communion to Orthodox Christians.
4. The SANCTUARY is DEDICATED SOLELY to the worship of God, and that’s why the things in the ALTAR such as the STAR and the SPEAR symbolize the events which took place in Christ’s life.
5. ABRAHAM, ICAAC and JACOB were the Patriarchs in the Old Testament, and are venerated to this very day, while the names of CAIN and JUDAS ISCARIOT remind us of the depravity of human nature.
T.Sh. [(9) 39,5]
1 If Orthodox Churches have FULL SACRAMENTAL COMMUNION, we are allowed TO CELEBRATE THE LITURGY in all these churches.
2 Whenever you hear “Lord have mercy” at the liturgy, you always need to make THE SIGN OF THE CROSS.
3 INCENSE has a very pleasant smell for me.
4 THE TRADITION OF THE CHURCH plays a very important part in the Christian life, as we also need to follow the examples of Holy Fathers.
5 The Christians of THE PRIMITIVE CHURCH in the Roman Empire were under THE PERSECUTION for almost thee hundred years.
A.R. [(3,5) 17]
1) I didn't know that touching the ground after the BOWING is a symbol of human beings made from the earth and created by God.
2) I learned from an Orthodox doctor that INCENSE has a good influence on the human health.
3) It's very important for the singers in the church to be in the choir before the CENSING of THE CHURCH.
4) I didn't know for a very long time that A GUM perfumed with the fragrance of trees or plants is a symbol of the presence of the Holy Spirit.
5) I have read PENTATEUCH.
N.A. [(2,5) 14,5]
1. In all Orthodox churches at VESPERS and at the Great Lent the psalm 141 is read: ‘LET MY PRAYER BE SET FORTH IN THY SIGHT AS INCENSE’. 2.These words mean that just as the FRAGRANCE is lifted up so our prayer should be exalted into Heaven.
3. There is a tradition in Orthodox churches that people BOW their heads when a priest or a deacon CENSES the church.
4. Before every liturgy servers burn the CHARCOAL and place 3-4 grains of INCENSE that produces a sweet smelling smoke.
5. The example that was given by martyrs MACCABEES teaches us to TAKE UP OUR CROSS patiently and rely only on God’s deliverance.
T.Sh. [(5,5) 30,5]
1. The Orthodox CROSS has THREE BARS, which is not necessarily obligatory for the Catholics, who often draw the CROSS with only ONE BAR.
2. Any CROSS is a SIGN OF SALVATION and that is why a depiction of any CROSS, be it ONE BAR or THREE BAR, is holy and can be venerated and worn around the neck without being BLESSED at first.
3. The CROSS is venerated as CHRIST has BROKEN HIS BONES on it.
4. The RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST is the biggest Christian feast preceded by the GREAT LENT.
5. The Orthodox and the Catholics have different traditions of making the SIGN OF THE CROSS.
S.P. [(3,5) 12,5]
1) When I didn't know the meaning of the SKULL under The Cross, it seemed a bit odd to me.
2) I suppose that The Great Fast and Easter BELONG TOGETHER.
3) I have never read ZEPHANIAH.
4) I always hear from priests that Christians should not condemn PERISHING people but show them the way of salvation.
5) Reading "Orthodox Mysteries" I have recently learned that English people make THE SIGN OF THE CROSS in a different way.
N.A. [(2,5) 12]
1 SAINT CYRIL AND SAINT METHODIUS, THE APOSTLES OF THE SLAVS are among the most famous saints in Russia, we believe that they brought the alphabet to Ancient Rus.
2 I admire people who UNDERTAKE MISSIONARY WORK because it is very hard and you need to be fully devoted to God.
3 During the Soviet period ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP in the Church was prohibited, but there were a lot of NOMINALLY religious people.
4 St. Tikhon of Moscow was the first man TO BEAR THE TITLE OF PATRIARCH of Moscow and All Russia after almost two hundred years since the patriarchate was abolished.
A.R. [(2,5) 13,5]
1. JESUS OF NAZARETH, KING OF THE JEWS, preached all over Judea and had twelve APOSTLES who were his successors, and almost all of them were EXECUTED.
2. ABRAHAM was so faithful to God that he was ready to sacrifice his own son ISAAC by Lord’s will.
3. APOSTLE PAUL in his First LETTER TO THE CORINTHIANS in the 13th chapter praised pure and eternal Christian love.
4. Every Orthodox person should TAKE UP HIS CROSS and FOLLOW CHRIST, remembering Christ’s torment on GOLGOTHA.
5. Prophet HAGGAI announced that in the new temple the Word Everlasting will appear, that refers to the birth of JESUS CHRIST THE KING OF GLORY.
T.Sh. [(5,5) 25]
Our apartment has several rooms, so there is a small ICON CORNER in every one.
I'd like to have an ICON which depicts Entry of the Most Holy Mother into the temple because I was born on the day of this feast.
V.N. [(1,5) 9]
1) My mother is an ICONOGRAPHER, so I can see the process of creating an ICON from the begging till the end.
2) The saint who is DEPICTED on the icon, is the MEDIUM between us and God.
3) We VENERATE and WORSHIP God, but not the Saints, but we ask them for help as they are closer to God than we are.
A.R. [(3) 11]
1. It was a bit sorrowful
for me when I was young that we cannot see the INVISIBLE DIMENSION.
2. We have lots of icons in our house as a WINDOW ONTO ETERNITY.
3. My family and I usually pray before the ICON CORNER in the evening.
4. I have never seen an ICON INSCRIBED with ICONOGRAPHER'S NAME.
5. My mother told me that it is rather hard to inscribe an icon with CONTRACTION without knowing Church Slavonic.
N.A. [(3) 9,5]
1. In Ukrainian countryside there is a famous tradition of covering icons with the DECORATIVE TOWELS not only in the ICON CORNERS at homes but also in churches.
2. A priest is a MEDIUM between God and a person, that’s why we should treat them all with REVERENCE.
3. TRYPTICH ICONS are really handy to take with you and to VENERATE them during travel or at work.
4. The life of prophet JONAH is a WINDOW ONTO ETERNITY and has invisible DIMENSION
for all Christians as his story is a prototype of the future three-day death and Resurrection of Christ.
5. The main purpose of the ICONOGRAPHERS and choirmen is to make people’s prayer FERVENT and their hearts humble and pure.
T.Sh. [(5,5) 19,5]
1) I have AN ICON CORNER with a huge number of ICONS at home, and the largest one, the ICON OF CHRIST, is surrounded by A DECORATIVE TOWEL.
2) My father has A TRYPTICH ICONS in his car.
J.P. [(2) 24]
AT THE CANDLE DESK of our church you can purchase not only candles, but also icons and spiritual literature.
I don't usually MAKE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS TWICE before VENERATING AN ICON, I do it just once.
V.N. [(1,5) 7,5]
1) There are different sizes of ICON SCREENS, I prefer the small ones.
2) The liturgy isn’t static, the deacons and priests always pass through THE HOLY DOORS and THE SIDE DOORS.
3) PSALMS are very deep in
the meaning, they are central prayers in Christianity.
A.R. [(2) 8]
My neighbor Sophia is from Japan and she has been a member of the ORTHODOX CHURCH OF JAPAN for a long time.
There is an ICON CORNER in my dorm room, but no CANDLES or LAMPS, because they are not allowed here.
My father has a TRIPTYCH of ICONS in his car.
Of all the Old Testament stories, RUTH’s story inspires me the most.
I like the life of Blessed Angelina of Serbia, the beloved saint of the CHURCH OF SERBIA.
In the NARTHEX of the CHURCH of which I am a parishioner they sell CANDLES and ICONS.
E.D. [(4) 8,5]
1) I usually MAKE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS once before VENERATING AN ICON.
2) I have never passed through THE HOLY DOORS as I'm a woman.
3) My grandfather was named after ARCHANGEL MICHAEL.
4) I know that JOB is a prototype of the sufferings of Jesus Christ.
5) My family and I are used to reading PROVERBS during the Great Fast.
N.A. [(3) 6,5]
1) My uncle who
has graduated from a THEOLOGIAN COLLEGE taught me how to MAKE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS and how to VENERATE AN ICON.
2) My grandmother gave our PARISH an ICON OF CHRIST and an icon of THE MOTHER OF GOD.
J.P. [(3) 10]
1. In church I usually stand in the place where I can see the ICON OF CHRIST, which is located near the HOLY DOORS.
2. Both King David in the PSALMS and the EVANGELISTS in the Holy Gospel induce us to be remorseful of our sins and not to forget about the mercifulness of God.
3. The paremiae from the PROVERBS are usually read during Vespers the day before the feasts of the MOTHER OF GOD.
4. When I was 9 years old, I heard a conversation between women who worked AT THE CANDLE DESK, they said that it’s right to MAKE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS twice and only after that to VENERATE the icon, and I remembered this custom.
5. The ANNUNCIATION was always a special feast for my family, and it was much more joyful for me to learn that this day is also the commemoration of Holy PATRIARCH Tikhon as he went to meet his Maker on the 7th of April.
T.Sh. [(5) 14]
1) Our group had a test on 1 SAMUEL, 2 SAMUEL, 1 KINGS and 2 KINGS at the end of last semester.
2) My MIND is always LIFTed UP INTO PRAYER when I'm in the NAVE of a CHURCH, but it's hard for me to WORSHIP THE LORD at home because I can't concentrate well.
J.P. [(3,5) 7]
In the book of JOB one can witness an example of genuine humbleness and virtue.
THE CHURCH OF GEORGIA has kept its ancient traditions in order to sustain its authenticity.
Though some people regard CANDLES as a superfluous element of the Orthodox tradition, there is more to it than that, as CANDLES symbolize prayers humans bring to their God.
In the ancient Jewish tradition the act of CONFESSION consisted of releasing a lamb in the wild as it symbolized the release from the sins.
The most widely spread type of churches in Western countries is the BASILICA with its hall showing us the passage to the SANCTUARY.
Hardly had the peoples of the OLD TESTAMENT known what the elaborately and sometimes excessively decorated CHURCHES of the 21st century would be like.
The salvation of man is hardly possible but through the participation in the SACRAMENTS and a firm belief in God.
Not only is the Russian Orthodox architectural tradition famous for the cross shaped churches, but it has also developed the onion shaped domes.
S.P. [(4) 9]
1) We can find the same saints in Orthodoxy and Catholicism because till the 11th century there was no division into THE GREEK EAST and THE LATIN WEST, there was one united CHRISTENDOM.
2) BISHOPS are usually the heads of their DIOCESES, but sometimes they can be ASSISTANT BISHOPS and often they are the rectors of the THEOLOGICAL COLLEGES.
A.R. [(3,5) 6]
1) The most powerful and glorious ICON SCREEN I’ve ever seen is located in Vladimir in Assumption Cathedral and was made by Rublev and Daniel.
2) An ONION DOME is a typical feature of Russian Orthodox churches, for example Saint Basil’s Cathedral, Trinity-Sergius Lavra , the Church of the Savior on the Spilled Blood and others.
3) I always feel calmness and peace UNDER THE DOME OF HEAVEN, it gives me strength, power, and unbelievable happiness.
4) I literally forget about everything in this world when I LIFT THE MIND UP INTO PRAYERS.
A.G. [(2) 6]
Last year we studied the OLD TESRAMENT, now we're being taught the New Testament.
In my hometown there is a golden ONION DOME at the top of our church.
At home we often LIGHT CANDLES in front of our domestic icons, however, I can't do that at the dormitory because it's forbidden.
The ICON SCREEN of the Trinity Cathedral of St. Sergius lavra is the most magnificent one I've ever seen, Andrei Rublev's work is a real masterpiece.
While visiting Prague I saw the only BASILICA in the Chech Republic, it's called after St. George.
V.N. [(2,5) 6]
1) Usually my family stand in THE NARTHEX during the Divine Liturgy.
2) I have never read THE SECOND SAMUEL, only the first one.
3) I am fond of THE ICON SCREENS with painted icons.
4) At times I LIGHT THE CANDLES before the icons of my patron saints.
5) The Church plays a FOCAL part in my life in a DEEP SPIRITUAL SENSE.
N.A. [(2,5) 3,5]
1. The vespers were going on, the deacon went out of the ALTAR, stood in front of the solea and started reading the fragment from the 1 KINGS, while all ORTHODOX CONGREGATION was listening to him attentively. 2. There was no one who wanted to LIGHT CANDLES and make a fuss at that solemn moment, and there were no idle conversations and whispers in the NARTHEX.
3. It is known that a new CHURCH in my town will be built in an OCTAGON style and will have a golden ONION DOME with a long spire.
4. All objects in the SANCTUARY such as the HOLY TABLE, the Holy Bible and the Cross have a DEEP SPIRITUAL meaning for Orthodox Christians.
5. The Church of St. Peter and Paul in Moscow, which has a magnificent ICON SCREEN and enchanting frescos in the NAVE, belongs to CHURCH OF SERBIA.
T.Sh. [(5,5) 9]
1 I have always felt that PRAYING WITH ICONS is an integral part of an ample Christian life as, though the atheists state the opposite, it is not the depiction one worships, but the Saints, Jesus Christ and Theotokos.
2 We have recently learned that PRIESTS are empowered to administer such SACRAMENTS as BAPTISM, CHRISMATION, MARRIAGE, CONFESSION and ANOINTING WITH OIL, however it is exclusively BISHOPS who are able to administer the SACRAMENT of ORDINATION.
S.P. [(5) 5]
1) There are seven SACRAMENTS OF THE CHURCH that form the basis of our faith and unite us with God such as BAPTISM, CHRISMATION, CONFESSION, ORDINATION, COMMUNION, MARRIAGE, and Holy Unction.
2) The Orthodox entering THE CHURCH always make the sign of CROSS and say prayers to God.
A.G. [(4) 4]
If a person desires to enter the Orthodox CHURCH, he has to confess his sins and receive BAPTISM and CHRISTMATION. After that the Orthodox Christian should pray to the Lord on a daily basis, dedicate time to studying
the Scripture books, keep FASTS and participate in THE SACRAMENTS OF THE CHURCH: CONFESSION, COMMUNION, ANOINTING WITH OIL.
V.N. [(3,5) 3,5]
1) My friend and I recited a poem to HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH OF MOSCOW AND ALL RUSSIA a few years ago.
2) I'm keen on reading especially GENESIS as for me it's very captivating to know about your ancestors.
N.A. [(1) 1]
My friend, a seminarian, was first ORDAINED A DEACON, and then a PRIEST by METROPOLITAN of Voronezh and Lisky, VLADYKA Sergius, now I must address him as "FATHER."
I was BAPTIZED when I was 1 year old, I CONFESS and receive COMMUNION at least twice a month, I was at THE FUNERAL SERVICE only once, but I offer PRAYERS FOR the DEPARTED at every service.
E.D. [(4,5) 4,5]
1 I’ve read thoroughly GENESIS and EXODUS the last semester during my classes where I studied the books of the Old Testament.
2 For some people it’s easier to understand the SHAPE OF THE LITURGY if they read SERVICE BOOKS, so they can follow the text and PRAYERS with eyes and get the meaning right.
A.R. [(2,5) 2,5]
1) I presented three SERVICE BOOKS: "THE FESTAL MENAION", "THE LENTEN TRIODION"
and "THE PHILOKALIA" to the PRIEST of the CHURCH I go to.
2) When I was a kid I did not know THE SHAPE OF THE LITURGY, then I had a course of THEOLOGY
lessons at my University, so now I know the shape of the liturgy and the names of all THE SACRAMENTS OF THE CHURCH.
J.P. [(3,5) 3,5]
Last year HIS EMINENCE Yuvenaly, METROPOLITAN of Krutitsy and Kolomna, visited the Holy Trinity Cathedral in my town where FATHER DEACON, who was the director of the Orthodox Youth organization in Podolsk, was ORDAINED PRIEST. And now FATHER Anthony can perform the LITURGIES and as a hand of God he can administer COMMUNION to all Orthodox Christians.
T.Sh. [(3,5) 3,5]
D.S. [(8) 8]