Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Upper-Intermediate »
»
Unit 019 Art and literature

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 01:53
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 019 Art and literature - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 019 Art and literature
Unit 019 Art and literature
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 08.09.2021, 16:11 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1.       Are you an art-lover?

2.       Are you an artistic person? If yes,how is it manifested?

3.       Have you done any of the arts or crafts as a hobby? If yes, have you displayed your works? Where can they be seen?

4.       Name an artist whose works you find particularly impressive.

5.       Name a work of painting, sculpture,or architecture which you find particularly impressive.

6.       What is your favourite performing art? Why?

7.       “Vita brevis, ars longa”. Which of the arts, in your opinion, is more accessible (requires less time and/or money to master) for an average person?

8.       Do you appreciate abstract painting? Why/why not?

9.       What is your favourite genre of painting?

10.   Do you read more popular or more literary authors for pleasure?

11.   Do you read for plot, characters, or style?

12.   Do you prefer hard copies or ebooks? Why?

13. What do you like most: art, literature, music, or cinema, and why?

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 14.09.2021, 01:39 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
4. Name an artist whose works you find particularly impressive.

Oscar Claud Monet is one of the world famous artists, who is, furthermore, greatly beloved by me. He lived in France at the turn of 19th and 20th centuries and was creating paintings within an artistic movement «Impressionism». The greatest figures of the movement, among whom Monet can be rightly considered as the founder, had «formulated» some methods which served their primary purpose — to catch the changes of the world. Monet mastered that, went further than anybody’d ever done before. In his paintings he manages to capture a moment, a jiff of the fleeting world. His works of art are full of life, light, air, they are subtle and perfect.  In them he as though depicts space and time, his own feelings. That’s why I would shamelessly call his works of art particularly impressive.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Четверг, 16.09.2021, 18:04

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 14.09.2021, 21:37 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
9. What is your favorite genre of painting?

My favorite genre of painting is portrait. These are some arguments for my position below.

Firstly, portrait depicts a real person: in the picture we can see someone who lived many years ago. It may be a king or a queen, a scientist or a priest, an artist or a musician. I'm sure it's very important to have an opportunity to see a person who created something great or important, or just those who lived sometime in the past: to see their eyes and hands, facial e[pression  and outfit, and so on. Moreover, till 19th century, when they were substituted by photographers in their function, artists reflected history in their paintings.

Secondly, by the appearance of a person an artist usually expresses their own inner world, and the inner world of the model. It is always interesting to look at it, so this genre is not so simple as it seems at the first sight.

Thirdly, I like psychology, and it is very interesting to try of thinking about the character and interests of the person portrayed in a picture, and then to find the truthfulness of my conjectures, reading their biography.

Nevertheless, I also like landscapes in art, mostly Russian and English landscapes, as it gives me a chance to feel somewhere in the territory of my favorite countries. As I see it, that is the idea of art: to make us a part of something that is far from us or doesn't belong to us.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Вторник, 23.11.2021, 10:51

sasavasl15Дата: Среда, 17.11.2021, 15:59 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Are you an artistic person? If yes, how is it manifested?

I would like to start with the idea that every person can be called creative and connected with art. And I think it is very difficult to find a person who would not be touched or attracted by any some side of art. Whether it's cinema, painting, literature or something else. And of course, in every person there is a desire and the ability to create. Perhaps a part of the divine is partially expressed in this, but in really different ways.

I have it manifested in different ways. I have a musical and artistic additional education, and sometimes it helps to realize my ideas. I am delighted with painting. I adore to draw portraits of people in the genre of realism, or create parodies or caricatures.

In terms of music, this resulted in writing a piano part for my friend's music group. It's amazing, when you perform on stage in front of people and enjoy the process, you seem to be over the moon.

As for literature, the main dream of my childhood and youth was to write a novel.

So yes, I can call myself an artistic person.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Понедельник, 07.02.2022, 16:35

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 01.12.2021, 15:35 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
1.       Are you an art-lover?

Yes, I can consider myself an art-lover. I've always been fond of literature since my childhood. Then I fell in love with music and painting. As for literature, I always loved to read about ancient Greece and Rome as a child. Then my love for books was increasing and increasing and I decided to study them and become a philologist.

The love for music came from my brother who is a professional musician. The love for painting came from my mother who is an artist. I also remember myself as a person who always liked to write some stories and to draw pictures for them.

The BALLET for me is one of the most spectacular PERFORMING ARTS. In the second place will be the THEATRE and then comes the CINEMA. Among FINE ARTS I like ARCHITECTURE the most. I even wanted to become an ARCHITECT in the school years. I also like PAINTING as my mother is an artist. In my childhood she showed me a lot of WORKS OF ART. She also taught me how to paint PORTRAITS and LANDSCAPES. I am also fond of LITERATURE, especially POETRY.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Суббота, 04.12.2021, 12:56

vernik04Дата: Четверг, 02.12.2021, 01:41 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
5.       Name a work of painting, sculpture,or architecture which you find particularly impressive.

One of my favourite paintings is "Boulevard des Capucines in Paris" by Claude Monet. The artist paints two famous Parisian views from the windows of the studio of the photographer Nadar, located on Boulevard des Capucines. K. Monet chooses a high point of view: from above, out of the window, the viewer sees the perspective of the boulevard going diagonally, in the direction of the Paris Opera, the roofs of carriages and the motley crowd in the indistinguishable flashing of faces. In the Moscow version the light divides the composition diagonally, opposes one part of the boulevard, sunlit, to the other – in the shade. The sunny side of Claude Monet gives an orange, golden warm, the shadow – purple, but a single light-air haze gives the entire landscape tonal harmony, and the contours of houses and trees loom in the air, penetrated by sunlight. The figures of passers-by marked by quick strokes are now merging into the general stream of the crowd. The painting is full of motion, light and life. You can feel the sun, the air. When I look at it, I wish I were there.

I'm an ART LOVER. Firstly, I admire FINE ARTS, especially I like Claude Monet's, Picasso's, van Gogh's WORKS OF ART. Secondly, I read a lot. My favourite NOVELISTS are F.S. Fitzgerald, Haruki Murakami and J. Austen. Moreover, I'm into PERFORMING ARTS. I go to the THEATRE once or twice a month. I adore Chaikovsky's BALLETS and Mozart's OPERAS. CINEMA is a kind of addiction. I've watched hundreds of films. My favourite DIRECTORS are Baz Luhrmann, Tim Burton and Yuri Bykov.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 17:33

katyadorniakДата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 17:17 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
11. Do you read for plot, characters, or style?

This is a very interesting question. I can't say that I found a book that ideally combined style, plot and characters. In fact, I read different authors for different kinds of pleasure.

I read Stephen King for the sake of the plot. His characters are quite formulaic, and his style entirely serves the purposes of the plot.

I read Ray Bradbury for the sake of style. I admire his style with all my heart, so much so that even the plot and characters are not important to me.

It's hard to say what kind of literature I read for the sake of the characters. Maybe I'm reading a book for this sake when I'm already in love with the character. This is why I read Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo when I was 15. The infatuation passed, but I got acquainted with a wonderful work of literature.

So I believe that any purpose for which a person reads is obviously good.

Добавлено (05.12.2021, 17:19)
---------------------------------------------
I dare not call myself a real ART LOVER. To call yourself such, you need to understand the styles of FINE ARTS, visit the THEATRE to enjoy PERFORMING ARTS. When was the last time I watched BALLET? Actually, recently, but it was a recording of a performance that I watched at the CINEMA, does it count? LITERATURE is also an art, but I read literature, both NOVELS and POETRY, mainly because it is part of my education. Because I need to read a lot of literature, I have very little time to enjoy PAINTING, although it describes LANDSCAPES and PORTRAITS no worse. But I am studying in order to afford a visit to the OPERA and enjoy the ARCHITECTURE of Europe not in pictures some day...

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

posternaksophieДата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 19:38 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
Are you an art-lover?

I can't call myself an art lover, though I love art and go to museums any time I can afford it. I'm an amature and if you put me in front of a painting chances are low that I'll tell you the painter and the style in which the painting was painted. However, I find it deeply satisfying when I can come to an art gallery and look at the paintings. I get the feeling of harmony and find the whole experience esthetic.

When it comes to evaluating a piece of art I usually evaluate it not by the importance of the artist but by my personal preferences. I like the painting if I'm ready to put it in my room.

What is your favourite genre of painting?

My favourite genre of painting is impressionism as it reflects impressions and some  momentary feelings. It is very close to my understanding of the world as very often I feel something very close to what impressionists wanted to capture. Moreover, impressionism is bright and sunny. It shows us the better side of life which we pretty often miss and don't enjoy.

Impressionism has always hypnotized me by it's optimism. For example, recently I visited an exhibition of Pimenov's works and some of them were drawn in the genre of Impressionism. Those pictures were painted between the First and the Second World Wars when the whole world was shaking and the global political situation was far from being stable. However, these paintings are luminous and transfer sun and the beauty of life.

I find it particularly impressive that impressionists could see and sense the beauty and little details of life better than other people.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Среда, 08.12.2021, 20:33

veronikachernykh15Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 21:20 | Сообщение # 9
Майор
12.   Do you prefer hard copies or ebooks? Why?

I have a lot of experience in reading hard copies and ebooks. In my opinion, it's evident that ebooks are more convenient. For instance, ebooks are compact and lightweight regardless how many pages the text has. In an ebook you can easily download any book you want. Ebooks are easy to use, they are modern and have a lot of advantages. But lovers of hard copies can declare that the light of the screen is harmful for eyes. But there is also a modern decision - ebooks with a safety light. Nevertheless, ebooks have the main disadvantage - they don't have a soul.

As for me, it's unquestionable that ebooks are more convenient and easy-to-use. If I have to read a lot of books in a short time I will choose an ebook. But it's more pleasant and enjoyable to read an old hard copy. I am fond of turning yellow pages, smelling the old taste of them.

My parents wanted me to be good at the ARTS. I had an opportunity to test myself as an ARCHITECT visiting additional classes in the museum. My mom is a great ART LOVER so she wanted to develop a passion in us for PAINTING and SCULPTURE.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 20:11

readeralexeyДата: Вторник, 07.12.2021, 17:02 | Сообщение # 10
Генерал-майор
Цитата
My favourite genre of painting is impressionism

Sonya, Impressionism is not a genre but a style.

lisaswan001Дата: Среда, 18.10.2023, 19:02 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
Do you prefer hard copies or ebooks? Why?

First of all I should say that I am a great book lover. I own quite a big library, I never counted my books, but, believe me, there are many. I also own an e-book. Most of people would be confused and ask: What’s the point? I can easily answer them that paper-backs and e-books are both convenient and can be used in different situations. I will tell you about my ways of reading.

When I was younger and only getting into reading, I was downloading series of novels on my e-book and only if I liked them I bought copies for my  library. Now I mostly buy hard copies of books, but before that I read a lot of reviews by people that I trust.

Most of the time I use my e-book for travelling. For example, during my summer vacation I read four books. Without my e-book I wouldn’t have had an opportunity to do that. Also, my way to university is quite long and I try to read during this time, but it’s bad for your back to carry all the manuals and books in your backpack, so I try to reduce the weight by taking an e-book instead of hard copy. I also prefer reading poetry in hard copies, but short
 stories with an e-book.

I know, switching between physical and an e-book it is complicated, but it is totally worth it.

Добавлено (18.10.2023, 19:44)
What do you like most: art, literature, music, or cinema, and why? (essay)

Most of all I like literature. I can say that I cannot imagine my life without books. They contain so many memories, feelings, emotions. For me - it is another world in which I can dissolve, a world where I can find myself, detach myself from earthly problems and live an absolutely new life, learn from the character’s experience.

I must also mention that books have great historical value because they give us essential information about the past. They serve as windows into different time periods and cultures, allowing us to understand the thoughts, beliefs, and experiences of people who lived before us. Therefore, with the help of books we can bridge the gap between past and present.

I cannot imagine our world without books. They are not just storages of knowledge, they are gateways to imagination and understanding. Books can transport us to distant lands, introduce us to different points of view. They can remain an island of tranquility in an ever-changing world.

Добавлено (18.10.2023, 19:56)
Yesterday I went to a BALLET. In a beautiful SETTING, the dancers took the stage, showing their talent in the PERFORMING ARTS. The music, costumes, decorations  and graceful movements of the dancers made the stage into A WORK OF ART. I've never experienced such emotions in a CINEMA or in an any CONCERT.

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Пятница, 22.12.2023, 00:25

sodrozdovaДата: Среда, 18.10.2023, 23:16 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
2. Are you an artistic person? If yes, how is it manifested?

I consider myself a very artistic person. I have many interests in different branches of the arts. Mostly I am connected to performing arts and to the fine arts. I want to tell you more about fine arts and what I've achieved there. When I was in the 9th grade I entered a new public school  but it had some specialties. It was an architecture school. So I have such subject as drawing in my certificate. Actually that is how my drawing career started. When I finally finished it I was very happy about that as I didn't like my school at all. But soon I changed my hobby. I started customizing clothes. I really like it because nobody can give me rules what to draw and how to draw. Also I like sewing, but I do that only during the summer. I've created several items now (some photos are attached). Due to lack of time I cannot make new things very often but when I decide to do something, it helps me to stop thinking about problems and keep all my good emotions in my creations.

Прикрепления: 6433099.jpg (193.3 Kb) · 9746789.jpg (229.5 Kb) · 9867272.jpg (123.8 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 11:01

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 19.10.2023, 00:20 | Сообщение # 13
Лейтенант
4.       Name an artist whose works you find particularly impressive.

One of my favorite artists is Bernard Buffet. Bernard Buffet was a painter who worked in the French Expressionist style. His paintings are usually very melancholic, graphic, have a wonderful and strict composition.

Bernard Buffet was born in 1928  in a middle-class family with ancestors from Western and Northern France. He spent his childhood in Paris, where he visited the Louvre Museum. His style was influenced by such artists as Gustave Courbet, Pablo Picasso and others.

I find the style of Buffet's works particularly impressive in many ways. There are many hard controversial themes in his works, for example - death, existential issues, but at the same time in his works I can see a light and a life. Even his portraits of  sad clowns are light because of their kind glance. And his gloomy landscapes fascinate me.

Buffet lived a short and a hard life. He survived a war but couldn't manage his own depression and pain, which are obviously seen in his works. I think, that Picasso's words define the talent of Bernard Buffet in the best way: "It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child". And I love the art of Bernard Buffet simply because there is no other way, but to love.

-------------------------------
1. My favourite ARTIST is Bernad Buffet, I find his PORTRAITS and LANDSCAPES absolutely adorable and fascinating. 2. My sister prefers NOVELS, downloaded as EBOOKS because it's the best and easiest way for her to read in the transport. 3. I believe this EXTRACT to be very suitable to explain the opening PASSAGE of Dostoevsky's book.

Прикрепления: 3082100.jpg (438.1 Kb) · 7171326.jpg (101.6 Kb) · 7179053.jpg (107.1 Kb) · 9526937.jpg (106.1 Kb) · 2274818.jpg (66.5 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 11:40

veronikachernykh15Дата: Среда, 25.10.2023, 23:50 | Сообщение # 14
Майор
Do you read for plot, characters, or style?

I can’t say that I choose a piece based on just one factor.  Sometimes I make a choice because of the author, which is quite common.  For instance, if I want to become more familiar with his work in general, learn about his techniques and composition.  I often learn about books from friends or teachers, their recommendations greatly influence my choice.  But if we are talking about expectations from reading, then I also do not set the goal to enjoy only one thing. One of the recent books I’ve read outside of the program was „Rif“ by Polyarinov.  This is an example of an original style, a captivating plot, and vivid characters. Such complex novels bring me real literary delight.

——————————————————————————

My friend is a great ART LOVER. She‘s studying FINE ARTS at the university and she does a lot of PAINTINGS, such as PORTRAITS and LANDSCAPES, also she does illustrations for books. When I come to her place there are also STILL LIVES, but I like her ORIGINAL paintings the most. They  are so genuine, vivid and captivating.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Пятница, 22.12.2023, 00:33

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 019 Art and literature
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024