Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Upper-Intermediate »
»
Unit 008 Describing people: personality

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 00:33
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 008 Describing people: personality - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 008 Describing people: personality
Unit 008 Describing people: personality
readeralexeyДата: Вторник, 07.09.2021, 23:26 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1. Why do you think intelligent people are sometimes poor?

2. Have you ever met a shrewd person?

3. Do you consider yourself to be gifted?

4. Describe the most stupid thing you did over the last couple of weeks.

5. To what extent do you think the fear of looking foolish is an obstacle to being enquiring and ambitious?

6. How would you treat a person who never says a silly thing?

7. Have you ever met a crafty person and fallen prey to cunning?

8. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being an optimist? A pessimist?

9. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being an extrovert? An introvert?

10. When you feel wound up what helps you to relax?

11. Do you know a sensible person who you can consult in a difficult situation?

12. Have you grown more or less sensitive over the years?

13. To what extent do you think being gregarious and even-tempered is conducive to success in life?

14. How honest are you with yourself and others?

15. To what extent do you think envy contributes to one’s determination to succeed in life?

16. Write about your best friend or favorite family member. Describe their character. Why do you like this person, what makes him/her special?

17. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as determined. Then change it in such a way that the word "obstinate" is more appropriate.
18. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as thrifty. Then change it in such a way that the word "stingy" is more appropriate.
19. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as self-assured. Then change it in such a way that the word "arrogant" is more appropriate.
20. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as original. Then change it in such a way that the word "eccentric" is more appropriate.
21. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as frank. Then change it in such a way that the word "blunt" is more appropriate.
22. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as broad-minded. Then change it in such a way that the word "unprincipled" is more appropriate.
23. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as generous. Then change it in such a way that the word "extravagant" is more appropriate.
24. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as innocent. Then change it in such a way that the word "naive" is more appropriate.
25. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as assertive. Then change it in such a way that the word "aggressive" is more appropriate.

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 13.09.2021, 22:26 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
What are the advantages and disadvantages of being an extrovert? An introvert?

Without any doubt, nowadays people are very busy, the tempo of life is rapid and very quick. People try to reach new goals, to be in time everywhere. In consequence of it, due to their determination, curiosity, ambition and self-confidence they might have a prestigious carrier and a well-paid job. Nevertheless, on the other side of the coin such people sometimes even have no time to spend with their relatives, friends or even just alone with their thoughts.

As for me, when I feel wound up, several things can help me to relax, for example: walking, reading or talking with my close-ones.
In my opinion, walking or doing sports help an organism to restore, for it speeds up the circulation of blood, promoting oxygen’s provision.

When I read, I penetrate into the book’s world. I live out the characters’ lives, rejoicing or sympathizing with them. It helps to change from some routine work on unforgettable adventures.

When I talk with my parents I feel their support kindness and love, they inspire me. Talking about my siblings, they make me smile and laugh - we are the birds of a feather!

In conclusion I would like to say that if your mood is blue, try to relax or to talk with you soulmates.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Понедельник, 20.09.2021, 20:58

veronikachernykh15Дата: Вторник, 14.09.2021, 08:54 | Сообщение # 3
Майор

I don't have any hesitation to claim that years bring experience. But the question is what kind of experience? And, accordingly, the next question appears: how would a single person react to this? I will try to reveal my point of view.

Obviously, in the process of growing up we are experiencing all kinds of emotions. We endure some life challenges and become worked up and weaker or we endure some life challenges and become self-assured and stronger. We feel tension and anxiety in stressful situations: quarrels, exams, meeting new people and etc. We face aggressive and unprincipled people and are learning how not to disappoint them. Also we meet frank and direct people whose openness may assault us.

It follows that we inevitably become more sensible with every new person in our lives and make our own choice - to unleash emotions or to roll up into a shell. Here we also encounter Christian morality. Jesus Christ said: "be as children" but also the question is, where is the border line between childhood abrupt and naive and Christian humility?

[Is this post about being sensitive or being sensible?]

unit 8
I value the most when people are FRANK and BROAD-MINDED. I can't say that I'm an EASY-GOING kind of person but people like this develop my motivation to improve my communication skills. And I am afraid of SELF-IMPORTANT personalities. I consider that it's NAIVE.

Unit 8
1) I feel very TENSE when I have a lot of deadlines. OPTIMISTIC thoughts are leaving immediately when I have a long list of tasks. An accurate plan of what I have to do first helps me not to feel UPSET.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 20:00

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 14.09.2021, 11:11 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник

It would seem that with age, people become more callous and less sensitive. A person becomes older and more experienced, no longer so acutely perceiving their problems or the problems of others.

Despite this, there is another type of people, who cultivate sensitivity and empathy in themselves. But all people are different, you can't judge everyone the same way.

As for me, I am a very sensitive person and it doesn’t change with years. I often perceive the problems of others as my own and try my best to help.

In my opinion, people should preserve their sensitivity and humanity, since these qualities allow us to remain human.

Knowing myself, I can be touched by any little thing, from a sad movie to a homeless person.
In conclusion I would like to say that I have grown more sensitive over the years.

Цветкова Виолетта

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 11.10.2021, 20:47

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 14.09.2021, 21:35 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
9. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being an extrovert? An introvert?

There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages of being an extrovert and an introvert. I'll start from the former type of personality.

That's good to be an extrovert, as we are people living in society. So, if you are an extrovert, it would be easy for you to communicate with people, solve problems, ask for help, express your own position, be a nice fellow for others. Extroverts have all chances to be successful in life, as our life goes in a community.

However, it may be not
 so easy being an extrovert as they always need to be in company, and feel badly when they are alone.

Now I'd like to say a word about the second type of personality - an introvert. The benefit of being an introvert is self-sufficiency. It means that an introvert feels fine even if they are totally alone. They would never feel lonely or bored when no one is around. They may always find something useful to do when have free time - instead of chatting with friends, or just stay with their thoughts. Also, it is well-known that introverts are more productive than extroverts, so they are good workers and are always appreciated by teachers and seniors.

However, it is easy to wind an introvert up and stress them out, as they like calm and quiet atmosphere, but it’s not always possible to keep it all the time. So, an introvert needs special conditions where they will feel well.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Пятница, 17.09.2021, 22:52

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 18.09.2021, 14:29 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
5. To what extent do you think the fear of looking foolish is an obstacle to being enquiring and ambitious?

For the great majority of people, the fear of appearing stupid in the eyes of others is an ordinary phenomenon.The reason for this is the dependence on someone else's opinion.

In my opinion, 90 percent of people have a fear of evaluation. Undoubtedly, there are individuals who frankly do not care what others think about them. But they are largely inferior to those who are afraid.

This problem in most cases causes difficulties with the implementation of any goals and desires. A person is afraid to realize some set tasks, because he is sure that he will be judged and ridiculed. He is forced to suppress his ambitions due to the fact that the opinion of often even strangers is a priority for him. This is how the world works, and everyone who wants to achieve something needs to fight this "world order".

I believe that you should never deprive yourself of the joy of life because of those who, in fact, do not concern you in any way.

In conclusion, I would like to stress that attempts to hide your real self, wanting to please someone, will not lead to anything good, that's for sure.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Суббота, 11.12.2021, 13:00

sasavasl15Дата: Воскресенье, 26.09.2021, 17:11 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
To what extent do you think the fear of looking foolish is an obstacle to being enquiring and ambitious?

The fear of looking foolish turns you into a clamped person who is unable to express his own opinion.

Many people are very worried that they may find themselves in a funny situation if their statement is not at the right time and place. We often laugh at those who speak out of place, who make a remark that does not correspond to the situation, at those who talk nonsense.

But it's one thing to observe the comicality of what is happening from the outside, and another thing is to find yourself in a similar situation. No one wants to look foolish, draw the attention of others to themselves by the inappropriateness and absurdity of their statement. The fear of looking ridiculous is often stronger than the desire to communicate, stronger than the desire to show yourself, express your point of view, share your impressions. A person who is worried about his image prefers to remain silent, and does not dare to enter into a dialogue. This often leads to the fact that a person begins to be afraid to speak his opinion, suppresses his inquisitiveness and ambition.

As a result, I would really like as few people as possible to face such a problem, because constantly living in fear and forgetting your dreams is not something worth living for.

amasaltsevaДата: Среда, 17.11.2021, 23:15 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник

I believe everyone has at least once been in a situation which got you out of yourself. I am not the exception. In a moment when all comes rushing in, when you are tired and dragged into daily problems and routine, when you reach the point of no return, anything even the silliest thing can wind  you up. In this moment it’s obvious that you should try to relax, for being tense, angry, nervous, and irritated you.

How to handle this awful feeling? I’ll give you some advice. That’s what I do when feeling tense. Although individual, it may appear helpful for anyone who deals with being wound up. The first thing to do is to seclude oneself. Isolate yourself from everyone, if possible, and try to relax. Breath deeply, drink some tea, walk, take a bath. Listen to some soothing music, for instance, psychedelic music, then to your favourite song, let it raise your spirits.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 00:05

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 11.12.2021, 13:01 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
I'm a pretty OPTIMISTIC person. And I really like to communicate with EXTROVERTED people like me. And if these people are also AMBITIOUS, then it's just wonderful, because I can be inspired by them.

lisaswan001Дата: Четверг, 28.09.2023, 00:16 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант

I am sure that each one of us is regularly being wound up. We all experience stress about work, university, children, people that surround us. Therefore it is very important to have some rituals of your own which will help you relax, reduce stress, feel inspired and optimistic about life.

I have different ways to overcome stressful times. My biggest advice is to learn how to be in terms with yourself, you - are your greatest friend. Then, you have to build a space, where everything is the way you like it, you should feel safe in that area and relaxed - the atmosphere is very important. After that you should think about your hobbies and concentrate on them, while not thinking at all about things that stress you out: personally, I prefer reading and doing something with my hands: embroider, knit and watercolor. Also, switching between hobbies  will help you experience the freedom of consciousness. You will feel refreshed and very relaxed.

Добавлено (28.09.2023, 00:27)
---------------------------------------------
Many people believe that INTROVERTED people are RUDE and DISCOURTEOUS but in my opinion those people are the most DOWN-TO EARTH.
Also, being introverted does not mean that you have to be PESSIMISTIC.
It is always important to remember that not all EXTROVERTS are CONFIDENT or OPTIMISTIC.

Прикрепления: 3852770.jpg (541.0 Kb) · 1533781.jpg (482.0 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Пятница, 22.12.2023, 00:24

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 28.09.2023, 01:25 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
1. Why do you think intelligent people are sometimes poor?

Intelligent people are poor sometimes. Many people would find this statement unconvincing, but not me. I think that there are many rich people in the world who are not clever at all, but cunning, crafty and sly. These characteristics will prevail over other characteristics, even something dim like foolishness. Sometimes brainy people are surrounded by jealous and dishonest people, who are ready to do anything for getting money.
Clever people understand the reasonable boundaries of themselves and use their mind to live a good happy life, even if it is poor.
Of course some of intelligent people could be simply lazy, not ambitious, stubborn, too bossy and aggressive. So, in my opinion, everything depends on the person's behavior, you can be gifted and smart, but you need to suit the society and have other good qualities to be rich.

------------------
1. Introverted people are usually not gregarious and easy-going. 2. Mary is sensitive and her friend is blunt, but nevertheless they are good friends. 3. Lawyer must be very assertive in the court.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 11:34

veronikachernykh15Дата: Четверг, 28.09.2023, 08:55 | Сообщение # 12
Майор

I'm quite a nervous person, so even minor things can make me lose my temper.  But usually I feel as stressed as possible when I have a lot of work to do or when I think about the future. And in the first case, the solution is to take a break and to schedule tasks wisely and divide them into complex and uncomplicated ones. This helps me become less sensitive and approach tasks intelligently and become more down-to-earth. In the second case, time with my family helps me to feel relaxed. To do something good for your loved ones will help you feel useful and necessary. Also I may ask for advice or simply share my experiences and that helps me to become optimistic.

-----------------

I can't say if I am more an OPTIMISTIC or a PESSIMISTIC person. I can rather say that I am quite a SENSITIVE person who sometimes can be too NAIVE but at the same time FRANK with others. I always try not to be SELF-IMPORTANT and JEALOUS but sometimes I can be weaker than my feelings and emotions.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Пятница, 22.12.2023, 00:35

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 28.09.2023, 11:06 | Сообщение # 13
Лейтенант

In the third year of our study at the university we all ever felt very TENSE and STRESSED OUT. But I believe, many students find a very CRAFTY way to relax. Some CLEVER people just take a nap for an hour and they feel better after. Some BRAINY ones put on chill music and do anything but studies. But as for me, I became RELAXED when I talk to my family, especially to my sister. She is a very CUNNING person, but you can for sure be HONEST with her and she will keep all your secrets. She is a very TRUSTWORTHY person, but sometimes she can be a bit STUBBORN and sometimes even ODD. But still I love her and we talk to each other every day sharing interesting and FOOLISH stories, that happened to us during the day. And we laugh a lot. So that makes me feel relaxed after a WOUNDED UP day.

1) One day there was a very STINGY person who did not love anyone. 2) He was CRUEL and sarcasm was his second name. 3) But one day he met a CONFIDENT, EASY-GOING, GIFTED person and he loved her. 4) He was very OPTIMISTIC about his ability to change for her. 5) And so he became an EXTROVERTED and OPEN man and he lived a long life together with that UNCONVENTIONAL person.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 11:04

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 008 Describing people: personality
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024