не предусмотрено.

Пятница, 03.05.2024, 14:25
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 277 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 277 (Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt)
Quote 277
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 28.10.2023, 19:29 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
When you are praying, watch over yourself so that not only your outward man prays, but your inward one also. Though you be sinful beyond measure, still pray.

Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 30.10.2023, 12:27 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
St. Tikhon of Zadonsk writes “As a bird without wings, as a soldier without arms, so is a Christian without prayer.”

St. Silouan the Athonite said that –
“All the Saints lived in prayer, and they call others to prayer. Prayer is the best of all activities for the soul. Prayer is the path to God. Through prayer we obtain humility, patience and every good gift.”

In the Gospel we read “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances…” What does unceasing prayer mean? Does it mean constantly repeating words of prayer?

St Silouan says, “He who loves the Lord is always mindful of Him, and remembrance of God begets prayer…” But St. Isaac goes further than this by saying, “Every good care of the intellect directed toward God and every meditation upon spiritual things is delimited by prayer, is called by the name of prayer and under its name is comprehended…”

In other words, writes that “even the mindfulness and remembrance of God may be considered prayer, even before we have said anything – even if we do not say anything. Even contemplation of divine things and knowing that we are in the presence of God is prayer and the mind turned to God – the mind that remembers God is already praying.”

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 16:28

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 31.10.2023, 16:08 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
We know from the Gospel that Christ came not to the righteous, but to the sinners to call them to repentance. That He came to the publicans and not to the pharisees. That is why feeling yourself sinful beyond measure is sometimes a necessary element for fervent prayer. Many of the saints obtained their spiritual gifts by years of weeping over their sins: that is saint Mary of Egypt, and the elder close to us by the time of his life: holy archimandrite Sophronius (Sacharov), the disciple of saint Siluan of Athos. He said that to obtain salvation you should stand on the edge of despair and not to give way to it. That is the prayer: it starts with tears of repentance and continues with the tears of gratitude.

That feeling sinful as well as feeling grateful for all the benefits and gifts you have in your life are the components of the prayer of our inward man. We should not only recite prayers from the prayer book by our outward man. Those invocations of our inward man mainly create the true prayer of our heart.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 22:07

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 07.11.2023, 11:13 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
There is no sense in outward actions, whether it’s making bows, lighting candles etc. I doubt the sacrifice which doesn’t come from heart’s core to be needed or accepted. All the outward is temporal, it will pass, the inner will remain.

It is difficult indeed to be absolutely concentrated and absorbed while praying. However, how can we call a real prayer the one which only consists of pronouncing words? As Righteous John said, we should “watch over” ourselves to be inward.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 17:05

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 20.11.2023, 15:48 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I often catch myself thinking that I pray automatically, that is, without thinking much about the words I recite. I think this is a problem for many people. Furthermore, I agree with Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt. It is important to understand what you are asking God for, what you are praying for. To say the prayer thoughtfully.

"Though you be sinful beyond measure, still pray" - it is up to the individual to decide if he wants to save his soul and enter the Heavenly Kingdom. And even if you are sinful, nobody can forbid you to pray. It is up to you to decide for yourself.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 13.12.2023, 19:20

sasavasl15Дата: Суббота, 09.12.2023, 20:05 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
My dad has a funny expression, "thinking about linoleum." He uses it when he talks about prayer. That is, he always emphasizes that it is important to notice the moments when, during prayer, the inner person begins to think about something earthly. Indeed, in this case, prayer becomes an empty ritual. It is important not only to pronounce words, but also to pray with your soul. Only in this case, prayer will benefit the soul.

tsvioletta17Дата: Понедельник, 11.12.2023, 18:26 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
Man is a lifelong learner. One such "lifelong learning" is prayer. In a conversation with someone you respect, you listen to every word, think carefully about your answer, and memorize your dialogue. It is the same with prayer, because it is a conversation and address not just to some important person, but to our God and Father. We should be attentive while saying every word of prayer not to give a thoughtless answer, but to address every word to Him with sincerity and love.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 00:10

sensualpie111Дата: Понедельник, 11.12.2023, 20:14 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
I think that this quotation from Righteous John helps people pay attention to what motivates their actions. I believe that mechanical and reflexive repetition of words of prayer and bows cannot be considered true worship of God. I think that Righteous John is saying that we should pray more often consciously and with all our hearts. In addition, we should not abandon our spiritual life because we consider ourselves too sinful. Everyone sins, and repentance exists as a gift of God so that we can be saved.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Понедельник, 11.12.2023, 20:15

veronikachernykh15Дата: Вторник, 19.12.2023, 14:33 | Сообщение # 9
Майор
In my opinion, it is impossible to disagree with this quote. It touches on several problems of Christian life at once. The first problem is about how hard it is to focus on prayer, to clear your mind of the fuss. The second is that it is hard to pray when you feel that everything is already lost.
    The first problem, I suppose, often occurs on the path of a Christian. Personally, I usually feel this in the temple when there are many people among me. But neither talking of others nor children make it difficult to concentrate, but rather that many people see you praying. Because of this, there is even an unconscious desire to be on show. In such cases, it helps me to choose a more secluded part of the church for prayer.

The second problem, in my opinion, is solved by the most careful and long-term method. After all, when we feel that we cannot pray, it is most likely some kind of crisis of faith. It is very difficult for a person to really repent of his sins and turn to God for forgiveness, not forgetting about His mercy.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 00:22

lisaswan001Дата: Среда, 20.12.2023, 14:14 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
This quote by Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt emphasises the importance of sincere and genuine prayer. It emphasises the idea that a person's inner state should correspond to their outward actions during prayer. This echoes the Christian understanding of prayer as a deeply intimate act. It encourages people to maintain an authentic connection with the Divine through prayer, regardless of their imperfections. For me this quote serves as a powerful reminder to approach prayer with sincerity and care, fostering a more meaningful spiritual connection. It helps people cultivate self-awareness  in their prayers, leading to a more sincere experience.

lolosipovanikaДата: Среда, 20.12.2023, 14:39 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
I think, that every person caught himself doing something else, while praying. Christians, people who are used to praying regularly, we know what that means. Sometimes, you are so tired, and have to pray, but instead of really praying, you just look at letters, and don't understand the meaning of the words, because your mind is somewhere else. I suppose, that we should address this problem. And sometimes it is better to have a rest first, and only after that pray.
We are all humans, everybody is sinful and gets tired, everybody has his hard and bad days. We shouldn't give up, but pray to the Lord to forgive us and have mercy on us.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 23:08

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 21.12.2023, 12:00 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
I agree with the quote. It says that we have to watch ourselves carefully to stay focused while praying. God does not need proper words said automatically or without understanding what they mean. It is better if you try to use your own words while praying than pray just because "your mom told you to pray".
A priest in my church always says that you can start with thanking God for good things that happened with you during the day. After you get used to it you can add your heartfelt prayer to your  thanksgiving and  make you prayer longer. The main thing - you have to try to stay conscious all the time.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 12:24

salomiagudovaДата: Пятница, 22.12.2023, 15:39 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
I completely agree with Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt. Let us start with the first idea of this quote that you should pray not only physically but also – which is much more important – mentally. For example, when in church, you can have the appearance of someone who is sincerely praying. You can stay still without talking to your fellow parishioners and cross yourself at the right time and even say certain prayers aloud but you might do it "on autopilot". Instead of actually praying, you might be thinking about something else or not thinking at all. We must not merely appear to be praying, we must be actually praying. If, for example, in church you catch yourself thinking about your school assignments, bring your thoughts back to praying. It is actually quite difficult to stay focused on praying but we must try.

The second idea of this quote by Righteous John is that however sinful you might be, even if you are sinful beyond measure, you can and, indeed, must still pray. I fully agree with Righteous John because it is never late to repent, to ask God for forgiveness and guidance.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Среда, 27.12.2023, 13:54

alekssander-com29Дата: Пятница, 22.12.2023, 20:25 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
I can say, that I find this saying totally right and true. It seems to me that Righteous John emphasizes the dual nature of prayer—both outward and inward. First one is a ritualistic expression; second one is a holistic engagement of the entire person and their soul. The «outward man» refers to the external actions and words expressed during prayer, while the «inward one» signifies the inner disposition, intentions, and sincerity of the heart.

The core of this quote is the idea that prayer is not a performance but a communion with God which echoes the words of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew (6:6), where believers are encouraged to enter their inner rooms and pray in secret, emphasizing the intimate and personal nature of the relationship with God: «But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly».

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 277 (Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024