Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 261
Venerable Isaiah the Solitary

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 20.04.2024, 05:31
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 261 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 261 (Venerable Isaiah the Solitary)
Quote 261
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 19.03.2023, 18:30 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Unless a man hates all the activity of this world, he cannot worship God.

Venerable Isaiah the Solitary of Seeds and Palestine

marichernaya911Дата: Понедельник, 20.03.2023, 17:05 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
I find the words of venerable Isaiah truthful.

There was a tendency in Russia about two centuries ago, probably, of understanding monastic way of serving God as a regular way of life for all Christians, the laity in particular. I don’t mean celibacy, non-possession or living in a monastery. I mean the way of praying, the length of the services, the meaning of life. The quote “Angels are the light of monks; monks are the light of laity” speaks for it. Monks, who rejected all the benefits of worldly life for the sake of God, were always the living example for all believers.

However, being laity and living in the modern world, we cannot reject what it offers to us. The world lures and tempts us, it makes us love it and its activities. Can we really hate it? As far as I feel it, we can hate the world only if we love God. I firmly believe that if the love and peace of the Holy Spirit touches the soul ready to accept His love, after finding all the benefits of life in the Spirit, a man starts re-estimating the values of this world and, if they grow in love and in spirit, they start appreciating spiritual life more and more than the life of this world, and then can be able to hate the world and worship God to the best of their talents. Just because it is impossible to love something more than God.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 11:44

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 20.03.2023, 21:36 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
(Mark 8:34-37)

Sometimes we understand that it is very difficult to accomplish the words that we read in the Gospel. Although they are all very familiar to us but not slows us follow them. So we should ask God to strengthen ourselves because without his help we can’t do anything.

[size=12]4

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 20:02

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 21.03.2023, 14:22 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
I don't think we need to hate all things secular. Yes, it is better to serve God in a monastery, where you protect yourself from human pleasures, but not everyone is destined to be a monk or a nun.

In fact, it is more difficult for laymen, because it is more difficult to keep a pure mind and live righteously in the world: there are plenty of temptations. We need to hate everything that is tempting, evil, and unkind. God taught us to love, but sin is something we need to hate.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Вторник, 21.03.2023, 14:22

tsumskaa30Дата: Четверг, 20.04.2023, 21:17 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
The words of Venerable Isaiah sound quite ascetic. This is understandable because he was a true monk leading solitary life in the desert. This is exactly what one should do to be a monk - to reject all the entertainments of this world.

Nevertheless, it may seem strange for the laity. Of course, the Lord said that it is hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God. But after reading some commentaries we can realise that it is difficult indeed for a person who hopes only in his/her treasures, that is, whose all thoughts and actions are aimed at making money. However, if a person believes in God, prays and at the same time has a family and works diligently to make a living, there’s nothing bad in it. He/she may like the job, the children, the parents while loving the Lord Who gave him/her everything and be thankful to Him.

But if the world offers us something that is contrary to our Christian principles, then, obviously, we should be ready to reject it. Otherwise we really can’t worship God.

Therefore, I would say that the quote of Venerable Isaiah is controversial. For monks it is truth clearly but for lay people it depends.

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 26.04.2023, 01:35 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
Venerable Isaiah the Solitary of Seeds and Palestine suggests that in order to truly worship God, one must detach themselves from the worldly activities that can distract them from their spiritual pursuits. This idea is echoed in various religious teachings, where detachment from material possessions and desires is considered a prerequisite for spiritual growth and closeness to the divine. I cannot disagree with this idea, it is not for nothing that it has found support among many.

An example from the Bible that supports this notion is the story of the rich young man who approached Jesus, seeking guidance on how to obtain eternal life. When Jesus advised him to sell all his possessions and give to the poor, the young man was disheartened and went away, as he was too attached to his material wealth. Jesus then remarked that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God, highlighting the difficulty of detaching oneself from worldly desires.

In conclusion, the quote by Venerable Isaiah the Solitary and the example from the Bible highlight the importance of detachment from worldly activities in order to truly worship God. It serves as a reminder that material possessions and worldly pleasures are fleeting, and only a deep connection with the divine can provide lasting fulfillment and happiness.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Среда, 26.04.2023, 01:43

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 20:11 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
At first glance, the statement seems harsh and extreme, suggesting that we must reject all worldly pleasures in order to draw closer to God. However, upon closer examination, it becomes clear that the quote is not advocating for complete rejection of the world, but rather a detachment from the world's distractions and a prioritization of our relationship with God. In my experience, there have been times when I became so consumed with worldly activities such as work, social media, and entertainment that I neglected my spiritual life. In those moments, I felt a sense of emptiness and longing for something more meaningful. It was only when I detached myself from those distractions and made time for prayer, meditation, and reflection that I was able to restore my relationship with God.

I agree with the quote in part because I believe that in order to truly worship God, we must prioritize Him above all else. This means that we cannot allow the distractions of the world to consume us to the point where we neglect our spiritual lives. However, I also believe that God created the world and everything in it, including the pleasures and joys of life. Therefore, we should not reject the world entirely, but rather enjoy it in moderation and with gratitude towards God. In practical application, the quote reminds me to regularly evaluate my priorities and make sure that my relationship with God remains my top priority. This means setting aside time for prayer, reading the Bible, attending church, and participating in other spiritual practices. It also means being intentional about how I spend my time and making sure that worldly activities do not distract me from my spiritual life. Overall, the quote by Venerable Isaiah the Solitary of Seeds and Palestine is a powerful reminder of the importance of detaching ourselves from worldly distractions and prioritizing our relationship with God. While it may seem extreme at first, upon closer examination, it is a wise and practical approach to living a fulfilling and meaningful life.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 19:23

posternaksophieДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 22:50 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
This may sound like a harsh statement, it is still true.

To hate all the activity of this world means that we must put aside our own desires and ambitions and instead focus on doing the will of God. It means that we must be willing to give up anything that is hindering our relationship with Him.

This may mean giving up certain relationships or friendships that are leading us astray, certain habits or addictions that are keeping us from fully surrendering to God. It may mean giving up certain career aspirations or material possessions that are distracting us from our true purpose in life.

But when we are willing to hate all the activity of this world, we open ourselves up to a deeper relationship with God. We are able to worship Him fully and completely, without any hindrances or distractions. We are able to hear His voice more clearly and follow His will more closely.

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 17:10 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
Venerable Isaiah the Solitary of Seeds and Palestine said that in order to be with God, one must reject everything worldly. For me, as a layman, it is difficult to fully agree with his statement. A person who is not a monk is subject to many temptations. However, even living outside the monastery, a person has the opportunity to be saved. For this Orthodox Christians must avoid everything sinful and evil.

People cannot avoid all the activities of this world, as it is simply impossible, all this surrounds us every day. However, in order to be saved, we can lead a virtuous life, help our neighbours, and do good deeds. We must devote most of our lives not to worldly cares and fuss, but to God, not forgetting to pray and attending worship services.

anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 22:52 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
The quote by Venerable Isaiah the Solitary suggests that one cannot truly worship God unless they hate all the activities of this world. This idea can be interpreted as detachment from material possessions, desires, and distractions that lead one away from spiritual contemplation. By letting go of attachments to the world, one can focus their energy and attention on spiritual matters and develop a deeper connection with God. This concept is often found in various religious and spiritual traditions and is considered a crucial aspect of spiritual growth and enlightenment. Overall, I agree with the quote as it highlights the importance of letting go of worldly distractions to cultivate a deeper spiritual connection.

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 08.05.2023, 23:40 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
To be honest-to-God, though I know these words are truthful, it may be kind of difficult to accept the idea for we don’t follow it - we still love what the world gives us. What is more, it’s believed you attain happiness or at least approximate to it if you are satisfied with how the things are. We want our life to be comfortable, we want to enjoy our studying or work or whatever it is. It seems that the routine that fills our days would rather be pleasant and there is nothing wrong with that.

Nevertheless, I agree with the words of Venerable Isaiah. I suggest for us it’s better to understand them metaphorically. There is no one more important and valuable in your life than God, and the only significant, needed and meaningful thing is to worship Him. As weak creatures we can’t attain perfection. But at least we can try, for example, we can remember to remind ourselves of that and realize how irrelevant and minor any activities of that world are.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 12:44

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 23.05.2023, 18:16 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
After reading this quote, I had an internal disagreement. I will try to state two points of view that I have.

On the one hand, this statement suggests that the rejection of worldly desires and detachment from materialistic life can help to achieve spiritual enlightenment and closeness to God. Then this quote encourages you to focus on your spiritual goals and put your faith above worldly concerns.

However, on the other hand, the world is a creation of God, and it is strange to call so categorically for hatred of any activity in it. People can engage in worldly affairs responsibly and conscientiously, while at the same time striving to maintain a spiritual connection with God.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Четверг, 08.06.2023, 22:41

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Вторник, 30.05.2023, 00:04 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
Honestly, I can't agree with the quote if these words are addressed to all people in general. It seems to me that as far as monks are concerned these words are true. But as far as the laity are concerned, I don't really think it can be applied to them.

Volunteering, nursing, helping and caring for others - all these are also ACTIVITIES. And it's a good thing for the human soul. How then can we say that man cannot worship God unless he hates all the deeds of this world?

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Вторник, 30.05.2023, 00:05

salomiagudovaДата: Воскресенье, 04.06.2023, 17:52 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
Unfortunately, I cannot say that I agree with Venerable Isaiah, although, perhaps, I see his point. I think that it is more difficult to worship God when you are surrounded by so many worldly temptations. And therefore, one could say that it is easier to worship God when one is a monk or even a dessert dweller. But I disagree that you cannot be a good Christian and love God with all your heart unless you retire from the world. Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt, is a great example of that.

And Venerable Isaiah’s statement that you can only worship God if you hate all the activity of this world doesn’t sit right with me. Of course, there are plenty of worldly activities that are sinful and cannot coexist with worshipping God. To be honest, “the activity of this world” sounds a bit vague, but even if we say that “the activity of this world” is everything that has nothing to do with religion, I still don’t see how, say, having a chat with your friend over coffee is an obstacle between you and God. Maybe I didn’t understand the quote correctly, but I think it is too strict and ascetic.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Воскресенье, 04.06.2023, 17:53

alekssander-com29Дата: Вторник, 06.06.2023, 14:26 | Сообщение # 15
Подполковник
Though at first sight this quote may seem quite radical, I totally agree with it. I think that Venerable Isaiah the Solitary metaphorically speaks to the importance of detachment from worldly distractions in order to fully devote oneself to the worship of God. The quote suggests that unless an individual is willing to let go of the preoccupations and allurements of the world, they cannot fully direct their attention and devotion towards the worship of God.

But detachment does not mean a complete rejection of the world or an abandonment of one's responsibilities, but rather a prioritization of the spiritual life and an inner disposition that is not
 influenced by the changes in our earthly life. It involves recognizing that true fulfillment and ultimate meaning are found in God alone, and not in the pursuits and distractions of the world.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Вторник, 06.06.2023, 14:26

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 261 (Venerable Isaiah the Solitary)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024