Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 259
Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 20.04.2024, 12:33
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 259 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 259 (Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt)
Quote 259
readeralexeyДата: Четверг, 23.02.2023, 00:27 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
After the resurrection our bodies will be spiritual, and not earthly ones, everything earthly will remain upon earth. Remembering what our future abode will be, Christians, let us, then, gradually detach ourselves from everything earthly.

Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt

tsvioletta17Дата: Суббота, 04.03.2023, 16:38 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
To begin with, I would like to say that I love this saint very much and find his advice so to speak useful and important.

Naturally, in heaven we will not use earthly things, there will be nothing earthly at all. I read that our souls will not recognize each other either (which is sad). And I know that earthly life is given to us to prepare ourselves for spiritual, heavenly life. But how difficult it can be to give up earthly pleasures, worries, the fact that you can't get attached to things.

We have wonderful examples of holy elders, an example of how a person can live on this earth but not live an earthly life.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 21:57

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 06.03.2023, 07:18 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I think that it is a great mystery, what we will be like after the Resurrection. But we will live somehow different from the way we all do now. For example, we know from the Bible that after death people do not marry, but they are like angels. So as I understand, people will become more spiritual and less material. During this life we need to make ourselves (both body and soul) ready for renewal and for meeting with our God.

Thus life is a preparation for an infinite life.
And this Great Lent is a good time to become better, to try to change bad habits, passions and sins. During fast we can really feel God’s help in our efforts. Having a little bit changed ourselves, we should try to keep this condition of soul. This earthly life should be a testimony of our love, loyalty and obedience to God. 

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 19:59

marichernaya911Дата: Понедельник, 06.03.2023, 10:28 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
These words are full of truth, but it is often so hard to remember the idea, as we are people living in the material world, surrounded by material things. Our life - our bodies' life, to be certain, - depends on material things
- water, food, temperature outside and clothes we wear. These are the most evident reasons why we are so involved in the material world.

Nevertheless, there are two other components of every human's personality. These are soul and spirit. And these last but not least mean much more for any person than material things. If a person is distracted and find themselves in the depths of despair, no material goods matter, and nothing outward, material can make his or her life happier. In simple terms, that is why inner things are much more important than the outer. And the words of Saint John of Kronstadt remind us of our true destination.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 11:48

salomiagudovaДата: Четверг, 09.03.2023, 16:15 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
I fully agree with Righteous John. Indeed, we should – even must – remember that after the resurrection our bodies will be spiritual and everything earthly will remain upon earth. Of course, many people don’t believe in the next life and so their philosophy is to get everything from this life because “you live only once”. But in my observation, at least some Christians seem to some extent to follow a similar style of life. They want to have a good career with a high salary, they want to be famous or powerful or both. I don’t think that all those things are necessarily bad (especially the first part). But they can overshadow that which is more important – taking care of your soul. As Saint Paul said: “Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.”

All our earthly possessions will stay behind, they will be of no use to us. But since only few people can renounce earthly desires and devote themselves to serving God, like monks do, I think it’s perfectly alright to want, for example, a good house. We just shouldn’t forget that our life isn’t about having a good house and that sooner or later we will leave it behind.

A question for everybody: In your opinion, when it comes to earthly things, is there a limit for a “good” Christian? For example, I think we all agree that it’s alright for a Christian to want a comfortable place to live in or a good job to provide for his or her family. But is there a moment, after exceeding some possible limit, when it becomes wrong for a Christian to want certain things or to want them on a certain scale? If a Christian already has a good house, is it alright for him or her to want a better one? And what about wanting to be famous or powerful?

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Воскресенье, 04.06.2023, 18:04

tsumskaa30Дата: Четверг, 20.04.2023, 21:20 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
Hardly could we disagree with Righteous John of Kronstadt. Indeed, if we bother only about earthly things, about some everyday problems, - then we are busy as a bee and our thoughts are concentrated only on these temporary things. We forget about our spiritual life and this can be really harmful for our soul.

Saint John’s thought is really deep and is based on the words of our Lord: “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Mth. 6:19-21)

Of course, sometimes it may seem just impossible to “deny ourselves” from everything that is earthly because we live in the real world and we are not monks. However, we should make an effort to direct our thought towards spirituality, do our best to rise above the day-to-dayness as Righteous John advises us.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 14:27

anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 21.04.2023, 18:02 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
I absolutely agree with the words of Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt. A person has a soul and a body.  Both of these parts  have different end goals.  Our flesh resists death.  The soul, being a Christian by nature, strives for eternity.  Therefore, the heart of a Christian will never feel joy and happiness if it adheres to earthly goods.  Moreover, if earthly goods really brought happiness to a person, then the Lord, who loves each of us, would make everyone rich, would not leave anyone in poverty.

Also, if we look closely at the people around us, we will see that it is not wealth that makes a person cheerful, happy and calm.  There are many wealthy people who live in incessant worries, vexations, illnesses most of their lives. Many in excess begin to forget about God, the heart forgets about mercy, indulges in debauchery and excessive luxury. A Christian should realize that all earthly goods are not his property, but the property of God. The Lord endows man with earthly goods so that we direct them to the glory of God.

"All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. (1 Corinthians 6:12)

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 26.04.2023, 00:45 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
The quote by Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt, emphasizes the Christian belief in the resurrection of the body and the transformation of our earthly bodies into spiritual ones. As Christians, we look forward to an eternal life in heaven, and this should motivate us to detach ourselves gradually from everything earthly. This detachment allows us to focus on the eternal rather than the temporal and ultimately to prepare ourselves for the life to come. I absolutely agree with the saint's judgment. In fact, speaking about our future, this is the most important thing we need to focus on.

One example from the Bible that supports this quote is found in Colossians 3:1-2, which states, "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Here, the Apostle Paul urges Christians to set their hearts and minds on heavenly things rather than earthly ones. He recognizes that our focus determines our priorities and ultimately shapes our character.

In conclusion, the quote by Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt, reminds us of our ultimate destiny as Christians and calls us to detach ourselves from everything earthly. As we set our hearts and minds on heavenly things, we become increasingly transformed into the likeness of Christ and more fully prepared for the eternal life to come.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 20:08 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
The quote by Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt, highlights the importance of detachment from earthly possessions in the Christian faith. He reminds us that after the resurrection, our bodies will be spiritual and not earthly ones, and everything earthly will remain upon earth. This means that our possessions, wealth, and material goods will be left behind, and we should not place too much value on them. I partially agree with this quote. While detachment from earthly possessions is important, it is also important to remember that our earthly possessions can be used for good. For example, if I have wealth, I can use it to help those in need, which is a fundamental principle of Christianity. Thus, the emphasis should be on using our possessions for good and not placing too much importance on them. In my experience, I have found that the pursuit of material wealth can lead to a never-ending cycle of desire, greed, and ultimately dissatisfaction. However, I have also seen people who use their wealth for good, and it has brought them a sense of fulfillment and happiness.

The practical application of this quote in my life is to remind me to use my possessions for good and not become too attached to them. It is important to use my wealth, time, and resources to help those in need and make a positive impact on the world. By doing this, I can make a difference in the lives of others and leave a positive legacy. Practically speaking, this quote reminds me to continually evaluate my priorities and ensure that I am not placing too much importance on earthly possessions or desires. It also encourages me to cultivate a deeper spiritual life and a closer relationship with God, which can bring true joy and fulfillment.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 19:20

posternaksophieДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 22:36 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
It is the truth that after the resurrection, our bodies will be spiritual and not earthly ones. Everything earthly will remain upon earth.

This may be a difficult truth to accept, especially when we are so attached to the things of this world. We may cling to our possessions, our relationships, and our achievements, thinking that they define who we are. But the reality is that all of these things will pass away, and we will be left with only our spiritual selves. It means that we need to gradually detach ourselves from everything earthly. We need to let go of our attachment to material possessions and worldly pleasures and focus on cultivating our spiritual selves, so that we may be prepared for our future abode.

This is not an easy task, but it is one that is necessary if we want to grow in our faith. We must learn to see the world through spiritual eyes, recognizing that everything around us is temporary and fleeting. In doing so, we will begin to experience a sense of freedom and peace that comes from knowing that our true home is not of this world. We will begin to live in a way that is aligned with God's will, seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness.

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 17:40 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник
Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt, was undoubtedly right in saying this.

The Christian is born to die and inherit eternal life. All the material that we have now will remain here. All we take with us after death is a list of our sins and our virtues. We should not be too attached to worldly things, because they are temporary, just like our life. It is important to remember this and focus on spiritual life, good deeds and virtues because only this matters in eternal life.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 11:18

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 09.05.2023, 01:01 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
I definitely agree with Righteous John of Kronstadt. His words affect me much, they make me “awaken”. They are like the fresh air.

It’s essential to remind yourself about the mortality of everything worldly. We need to lay aside all earthly cares. We need to detach ourselves from them even though it is extremely difficult. Our life is filled with them. There is nothing wrong with that, it is natural. We shouldn’t throw away all the stuff we have, stop studying and retire from work. We should learn how not to cling to earthly things, especially if they are dear to us. We need to have free room in hearts for what is indeed important.

As Henry Longfellow wrote:

Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.
Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each to-morrow
Find us farther than to-day.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Вторник, 09.05.2023, 01:15

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 23.05.2023, 18:05 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
The meaning of this quote is very close to me. This means not to attach too much importance to material goods or worldly achievements, but rather to strive to fulfill God's will and follow his commandments. After all, the main and eternal life will begin after our death, and nothing earthly will happen to us in heaven.

If this thought is always with us, it will help to gradually get rid of worldly attachments in the form of sins and passions. We should also strive to live in love and service to others, as Christ has shown us with his own life and example. After all, such a life in love and grace awaits us further.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Вторник, 23.05.2023, 18:31

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Вторник, 30.05.2023, 00:10 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник
Honestly, I often think about the temporality of my existence. I think it is important to remember the temporality of the earthly body and the eternity of the soul. Remembering the temporality of the body and the eternity of the soul helps us to realize that our life on earth has deep meaning and purpose. The temporality of the body reminds us that we should use our earthly time wisely, striving for spiritual growth and doing God's will.The eternity of the soul brings perspective and elevation to our earthly affairs, which helps us focus on eternal values and the Heavenly Kingdom. Remembering the eternity of the soul gives us hope of eternal life in the presence of God. This hope gives us strength and comfort in difficult times and helps us overcome the fear of death. We believe that after death eternal joy and bliss in communion with God awaits us.

Thus, remembering the temporality of the body and the eternity of the soul helps us to find meaning in life, set priorities, value relationships, make moral decisions and hope for eternal life in the presence of God.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 25.06.2023, 15:11

alekssander-com29Дата: Вторник, 06.06.2023, 14:07 | Сообщение # 15
Подполковник
I can`t say for sure whether I agree with this saying or not. On the one hand, we believe the fact that after the resurrection our bodies will not be the same as we used to have during our earthly life. From this point of view we can definitely say that nothing earthly matters.

But at the other hand, to be a human means to have a body and a soul (and spirit in some teachings) and and absence of one of these things means death to any human being. It is quite common belief about death: a person dies when his soul leaves the body. Of course I don`t say that detachment from earthly life and its passions will lead us to death. My idea is that our «earthly part» has a strong bond with the «spiritual».

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Среда, 14.06.2023, 00:33

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 259 (Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024