Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 257
Elder Joseph the Hesychast

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 19:44
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 257 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 257 (Elder Joseph the Hesychast)
Quote 257
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 11.02.2023, 13:28 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
With comforts, false honours, and niceties there is no salvation or progress.

Elder Joseph the Hesychast

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 17.02.2023, 12:01 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Nowadays the world aims to make our lives as comfortable as possible. “To enjoy life to the full” is what most people want.

Nevertheless, the truth is quite the opposite. Jesus Christ warns us not to choose the wide way in this life but rather the narrow one.

This narrow way is described in detail in the Beatitudes. Thus, though the world offers us self-confidence, we should be “poor in spirit”. Instead of being jubilant, a true Christian should be ready to mourn because of his/her sins and “hunger and thirst after righteousness”. The world teaches us to love ourselves above all but we are called to be meek and merciful. We are expected to achieve our goals by all means, though Christ said that “blessed are the peacemakers”. Sociologists assure us that the desire to be respected is one of the most important for a person but many Christians chose to be “persecuted for righteousness” and became saints. The Lord predicts: “men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake” (Mt. 5:3-11).

We hear these crucial words at every Liturgy. All these requirements seem to be unpleasant in comparison to what we hear outside. But it is the only way to be closer to God, to understand how sinful we are. For if we are always praised and honoured, we fail to see our sins, and that’s why we turn out to be like the Pharisee in this case and not like the Publican who was forgiven in the end.

To conclude, I fully agree with Elder Joseph and can notice that his words are still relevant in our modern life.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 14:21

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 21.03.2023, 14:29 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник
I would agree with the quote more than I would disagree.

We are really too used to comfort that we can't imagine life without it. This is precisely where monasticism prevails over the laity. Monks deprive themselves of comfort so they don't have to think about a soft bed, a hot shower, and the rest. They replace those thoughts with prayer. We, too, in the world, would do well not to lose ourselves in the endless search for comfort, but to think more about God and prayer, about how we live our lives.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 21:57

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 26.04.2023, 00:17 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I fully agree with the quote from Elder Joseph the Hesychast. In today's world, we often prioritize material possessions, superficial recognition, and luxurious lifestyles, which can distract us from our true purpose in life. It is important to remember that true salvation and progress come from within, through self-reflection, humility, and genuine connections with others.

An example from the Bible that supports this idea can be found in the story of the rich young man. In Mark 10:17-27, a wealthy young man approaches Jesus and asks what he must do to inherit eternal life. Jesus tells him to sell all his possessions and give the money to the poor, but the young man cannot bring himself to do so. Jesus then tells his disciples that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God. This story illustrates the idea that material wealth and worldly comforts can be obstacles to true spiritual growth and salvation.

In conclusion, while material comforts, false honours, and niceties may bring temporary pleasure and satisfaction, they cannot provide lasting salvation or progress. True growth and progress come from developing inner virtues and cultivating a spiritual connection with the divine.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

anastasiadregan864Дата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 00:21 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
I partially agree with these words. Indeed, an excess of comfort and excessive delights can have a bad effect on the state of the soul. If we read how the ascetics lived, we will find out that everything was the opposite for them compared to worldly logic. If you want to lie down, sit down. If you want to sit, wait. Hungry – wait for the time allotted for eating. If you're thirsty, drink a little, but don't quench your thirst until the end. Any convenience of the flesh and indulgence of its desires relaxes the soul. It is necessary to learn to educate a person who lives according to the spirit, and not according to the flesh.

The idea is quite clear. But still... talking about comfort is secondary compared to other, more important things. Humility and love for God and neighbors are more important. It is clear that austerity exists to achieve humility and love. But the question arises: is it possible to live in relative comfort and learn to love God and neighbor? I think so. An example of this is the holy laity, who are in the church calendar and about whom much has been written in Orthodox literature.
Also, many modern saints lived among comfort, not noticing it (for example, John of Kronstadt). I believe that austerity in modern reality should be moderate, because the feat doesn't consist at all in exhausting the body, but in great love for God and people.

I believe that the asceticism of the XXI century is impossible without an informational fast, which consists in giving up television or the Internet for the duration of the fast.

Many still fast hard today, pray for a long time, but how rare it is to find true love and humility! So fasting and other ascetic efforts are only one of the means to achieve the main Christian virtues, and not the virtues themselves. The saints surprise us not with excessive fasting, but with self-sacrifice and love.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Четверг, 27.04.2023, 00:25

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 20:04 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
The quote by Elder Joseph the Hesychast, "With comforts, false honours, and niceties there is no salvation or progress," is a powerful statement that suggests that material possessions and worldly pleasures are not the key to true happiness or spiritual growth. I agree with this statement to a large extent, as I believe that an excessive focus on material wealth and superficial status can distract us from the deeper values and purposes of life. Throughout history, we can see examples of individuals who have prioritized material comforts and false honours at the expense of their spiritual wellbeing. For instance, the biblical story of King Solomon, who was known for his vast wealth and wisdom, ultimately realized that his focus on material possessions and pleasures had led him astray from God. Similarly, the lives of many wealthy and famous individuals throughout history have been marked by spiritual emptiness and a lack of purpose, despite their worldly success. On the other hand, there are many examples of individuals who have prioritized spiritual growth and service to others over material possessions, and who have found true happiness and fulfillment as a result.

Personally, I have found that focusing on the deeper values of life, such as love, compassion, and service, has brought me much greater happiness and fulfillment than material possessions or superficial status. While I still enjoy certain comforts and niceties, I recognize that these things are not the key to true happiness or progress. In practical terms, the quote by Elder Joseph the Hesychast reminds me to stay focused on the things that truly matter in life, and to avoid becoming overly attached to material possessions or worldly success. By prioritizing spiritual growth, service to others, and a deeper connection to God, I believe that I can find true happiness and fulfillment in life, regardless of my external circumstances.

posternaksophieДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 22:30 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
It is easy to get caught up in the material possessions and superficial pleasures that surround us in our daily lives. We are bombarded with advertisements that tell us that we need the latest gadgets, the trendiest clothes, and the most luxurious vacations in order to be happy and fulfilled.

But all this is a lie. These things may bring us temporary pleasure, but they do not bring us true salvation or contribute to personal growth. In fact, they can often distract us from what is truly important in life.

True progress and salvation come from focusing on more meaningful and spiritual aspects of life. This means cultivating love and kindness towards others, having faith in a higher power, and seeking to make a positive difference in the world.

When we focus on these things, we become better people: more compassionate,  loving, and  generous. We become more connected to our fellow human beings and to the world around us.

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 18:19 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
Elder Joseph the Hesychast expressed an important thought with which I agree.

Comforts, false honors, and niceties do not benefit our souls, and therefore do not help us to be saved. It is all external, while we need to focus on the internal.

Worldly pleasures will bring us temporary pleasure, but they will not help us grow spiritually. Therefore, we must detach ourselves from them and focus on the spiritual life, devote more time to prayers, reading the Holy Scripture. We must cultivate in ourselves virtues such as love, wisdom and humility, which will bring us good fruits.

abalakinan27Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 19:49 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
I fully agree with this thought. When we are more or less under favourable conditions we feel safe and relaxed. It's highly likely that you will stop working on yourself. Everything that at first glance seems good to us may do harm to our soul. Without facing with problems and learning how to solve them a human being is to become insensitive towards others' pains and troubles. Cruelty starts to develop. You don't believe those poor ones as you haven't experienced anything bad. Moreover, without spiritual development in the so called "earthly paradise" you go on a downward spiral where there's no need for God.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 15:57

amasaltsevaДата: Пятница, 26.05.2023, 17:17 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I agree with the words of elder Joseph the Hesychast, though they sound a bit too strict and severe - God is true Love and forgiveness. To attain spiritual perfection, one should never focus on material wealth, “comforts, false honours, and niceties” as they distract us from what is  truly beautiful and important. We need to cast aside all cares of the earth, because only in God can we find true happiness. Nothing worldly is deeper, more splendid and sublime that what we get in God.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 12:43

sasavasl15Дата: Понедельник, 29.05.2023, 14:41 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
I agree with the quote of Elder Joseph the Hesychast. In fact, Jesus himself warned against placing too much importance on material possessions and societal status, reminding us that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.

Instead, true salvation and progress in Christianity come from following Jesus' command to love our neighbors as ourselves, serve those in need, and work towards justice and peace in the world. This requires a willingness to let go of our own desire for comfort and status, and to embrace a life of humility, service, and sacrifice. As Jesus said, "If anyone wants to be first, they must be the very last, and the servant of all" (Mk. 9:35).

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Вторник, 27.06.2023, 10:30

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Вторник, 30.05.2023, 00:20 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
I feel we need to think about these words more often so that we do not forget that material things will not save the soul, because the spiritual essence of man and his soul cannot be satisfied solely with material things. The human soul longs for a deeper and more permanent source of happiness and well-being, which material things cannot provide.

salomiagudovaДата: Воскресенье, 04.06.2023, 17:50 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
I cannot say that I fully agree with Elder Joseph the Hesychast. I see his point and I agree to a certain extent. I think that comforts and niceties can be an obstacle on your path to salvation, which most people have to overcome. Unfortunately, it is true that when everything in our life is good, we often forget about God. People tend to remember about God and religion when something bad happens in their life, when they are confronted with affliction.

But in my opinion, all this doesn’t mean that when you have comforts and niceties in your life, there is no salvation for you. As I said, it may render your path to salvation more difficult but by no means does it make it impossible to reach, otherwise there would be no hope for most of us, since we aren’t monks or nuns.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Воскресенье, 04.06.2023, 17:51

alekssander-com29Дата: Вторник, 06.06.2023, 14:04 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
The quote by Elder Joseph the Hesychast, which I agree with, warns about the dangers of being too attached to material comforts and worldly success. It suggests that focusing too much on these things can prevent us from growing spiritually and finding salvation. It's important to remember that our main purpose in life can be overshadowed or replaced by the pursuit of comfort and recognition.

I believe that Elder Joseph the Hesychast wants people to think about their priorities and consider the value of self-control and finding inner peace. By understanding the limitations of seeking material things, we can discover a path that brings greater spiritual satisfaction and a deeper understanding of ourselves. However, I don't think this quote is telling us to completely reject comforts or honors. Instead, it reminds us to maintain a balanced approach where we don't prioritize material possessions and external praise over our spiritual
well-being and personal growth.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Вторник, 06.06.2023, 14:05

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 02.09.2023, 23:23 | Сообщение # 15
Подполковник
The wisdom contained in Elder Joseph the Hesychast's statement, "With comforts, false honours, and niceties, there is no salvation or progress," resonates deeply with the teachings found in both the Bible and classic literature. This profound insight reminds us of the perils of becoming too attached to material comforts and superficial honors, which can hinder our spiritual growth and personal development.

In the Bible, the story of the rich young ruler in the Gospel of Matthew serves as a poignant example. When the young man asks Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal life, he is told to sell his possessions and give to the poor. However, the young ruler's attachment to his wealth prevents him from following this command, and he walks away sorrowful. This biblical narrative underscores the idea that excessive comforts and worldly possessions can obstruct our spiritual journey.

Similarly, classic literature often portrays characters who are consumed by false honors and superficial niceties. In F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby," the character of Jay Gatsby relentlessly pursues wealth and status in an attempt to win the love of Daisy Buchanan. However, his lavish parties and extravagant lifestyle ultimately lead to tragedy, highlighting the emptiness of false honors and superficial pleasures.

In conclusion, Elder Joseph the Hesychast's assertion finds resonance in both the Bible and classic literature. These sources provide timeless examples of the pitfalls associated with excessive attachment to comforts, false honors, and superficial niceties. It serves as a powerful reminder that true salvation and progress often require us to prioritize spiritual growth and genuine virtues over material wealth and fleeting accolades.

Para Julia

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 257 (Elder Joseph the Hesychast)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024