Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 256
Saint Paisios of Mount Athos

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 02:37
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 256 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 256 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
Quote 256
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 03.02.2023, 11:56 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
For someone who has love in him, it’s not enough to simply give to anyone who happens to ask for charity; he seeks to find people who have some need in order to support them.

Saint Paisios of Mount Athos

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 10.02.2023, 17:47 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
I suppose that Saint Paisios’ thought is really profound. Heaving read this quote, I immediately recalled one of the episodes described in the book called “Father Arseny”. The main character who is a hieromonk serves the sentence in the Special Regime Camp. Although he is really old, his strength is on the wane and the conditions are just unbearable, he continues to help those who suffer around him.

Thus, father Arseny noticed a new prisoner, Avseenkov, who had a fever and was going to die. It was winter and Avseenkov’s boots were always wet. However, he couldn’t dry them because the only way to do it was not to sleep all night because there was only one furnace and you had to guard the boots so that they wouldn’t be stolen. It was obvious that he couldn’t go without sleep. Therefore, he was expected to die just in three days.

And then something unbelievable happened. When Avseenkov got up next day he felt that someone had dried his boots. It was father Arseny who had sacrificed his sleep in order to save his life. He continued doing so for many days until the ill person recovered. Then, following father Arseny’s example, he believed in God and became Christian.

I find this episode just extraordinary. The ill person even didn’t ask for help, he couldn’t even hope to be saved. However, this kind monk due to his all-encompassing love managed to find this suffering person and helped him without waiting to get something in return. This truly is a wonderful example of sanctity which corresponds with Saint Paisios’ idea.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 14:07

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 26.04.2023, 00:10 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I wholeheartedly agree with Saint Paisios of Mount Athos' statement that true love goes beyond just giving to anyone who asks for charity. Instead, it is driven by a desire to seek out those in need and offer support. This kind of love is selfless, compassionate, and proactive, going beyond mere charity to truly make a positive impact in someone's life.

An example of this kind of love can be found in the story of the Good Samaritan in the Bible (Luke 10:25-37). In the story, a man is beaten and left for dead on the side of the road. Several people, including a priest and a Levite, pass by without helping him. However, a Samaritan, despite being despised by the Jewish people, stops to help the man. He not only tends to his wounds but also takes him to an inn and pays for his care.

This story demonstrates the kind of love that Saint Paisios is describing - a love that actively seeks out those in need and goes above and beyond to provide support and care. It is a reminder to us all that true love is not just about giving to those who ask for charity but about actively seeking out ways to help and support those in need, regardless of who they are or where they come from.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 20:03 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Saint Paisios of Mount Athos suggests that those who truly possess love do not limit themselves to giving charity to anyone who happens to ask for it. Instead, they actively seek out those who are in need and support them. In my view, this quote holds a lot of truth. Charity is a beautiful and necessary act, but it is not enough on its own. True charity involves not just giving money or material goods, but also showing empathy and understanding towards those in need. Moreover, it requires effort to discover the root causes of someone’s suffering, and finding ways to address those causes.

To me, this quote expresses an important aspect of Christianity. It encourages us to be more mindful and intentional about our acts of charity, to seek out those in need and provide support that is tailored to their specific circumstances. This quote has practical application in my life. It reminds me to approach charity with a more thoughtful and compassionate mindset. Rather than simply giving to those who ask for help, I should seek to understand their situation and offer support that is both effective and sustainable. This requires more effort and time, but the end result is a greater impact on the lives of those in need.

posternaksophieДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 22:22 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
I do agree with this quote. Love is the foundation of our faith, and it is through love that we can make a positive impact on the world around us. As Christians, we are called to love our neighbors as ourselves. This means not only showing kindness and compassion to those we know and care about but also extending our love to those who are strangers, marginalized, or in need.

Sharing love with others is not just a nice thing to do, but it is also a commandment from God. There are many ways we can do this, such as volunteering at a local charity, donating to a cause we care about, or simply showing kindness and compassion to those around us. That is to say, we are not always welcome by these people. Sometimes volunteers come to the hospitals to help the patients as Christ told us and are rudely turned down by these patients due to their mental illnesses. It is important not to give up and still love the people who hate us when we are trying to do some good to them.

But perhaps the most powerful way we can share love with others is by spreading the message of God's love. We can do this by sharing our faith with others, inviting them to church, or simply living out our faith in a way that inspires others.

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 13:12 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
Saint Paisios of Athos was definitely right.

As the Lord commanded us, we must love and help our neighbour. However, when someone asks for help, we should help automatically. Showing love in this way is easy enough. But true love requires more effort from us, it seeks to do good everywhere. We should not wait for someone to turn to us for help and comfort, but we should act ourselves. If we have true love, then we will not sit still, love will inspire us to act actively, to look for people who are in need, but do not specifically ask us to help them.

True love is active, selfless, it does good without limits.

abalakinan27Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 16:36 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
Raising money for charity is an ambiguous topic. You can do so, but exalt yourself. Can a real almsgiver restrict himself to be merciful only to some extent? Isn't it hypocrisy? Being kind isn't a temporal feature that only is when you have a mood for it. Not only financially a loving person is itching to help others but also spiritually. Having readiness to give all your heart to someone in need might be even more precious than giving a sum of money.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 15:56

anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 16:54 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
I agree with these words. A person who loves God and who loves his neighbor can’t live without helping and supporting others. Love and his will to help just overflow his heart, he seeks whom he can help. Without any doubt, love, grace, kindness and generosity are gifts given by God, and a person who has them doesn’t want to possess them by himself, on the contrary, he wants to share them with all other people. Without help of God we can’t do any good for people, we can’t love them. But God can expand our souls, so we will be able to embrace all people, thanks to God we can have so much strength and energy that it will be enough to warm up hearts of people who surround us. And even when we have spent so much time on helping others, we will have time to finish our own work, even when we have spent so much strength supporting others, God Himself Can support us again, so we won’t feel devastated and weak, but strong and winged.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 17:05

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 09.05.2023, 12:25 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
I love the idea of St. Paisios of Mount Athos. His beautiful words made me renew my view on the matter.

The one who has true love in him never lacks it, he or she is overflowing with it. When you are filled with love you need to share it. When true love lives in you it can’t be limited, it goes beyond.

In Gospel of John we read: “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” Christ showed perfect Love. That’s Love which doesn’t distinguish people, Love which is patient and kind, Love which as St. Paisios says,  always “seeks to find” the one who needs it.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 26.06.2023, 12:42

sasavasl15Дата: Понедельник, 29.05.2023, 16:31 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
This statement fully corresponds to the Christian understanding of love and compassion for others, especially for those who need it. It is not enough just to give to those who ask for help, but to actively seek opportunities to support others and serve them. An example of this is the Bible verses Matthew 25:35-40, where Jesus teaches his followers that when they serve the least of them, they serve Him. Therefore, Christians should strive to live in accordance with this teaching, deliberately seeking out those who need it, and responding to them with love and generosity.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Вторник, 27.06.2023, 10:29

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Вторник, 30.05.2023, 00:14 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
Those words resonated with me. God has commanded us to love our neighbour as ourselves. Seeking out those who need help and love is the fulfilment of this commandment. It enables us to draw closer to the image of God and to participate in acts of mercy and compassion. The desire to help and love those in need contributes to a more supportive and just society.

When we actively seek out those in need, we help to improve the quality of life of others and overcome inequality and suffering, we develop empathy and compassion, learning to put ourselves in the shoes of others and to understand their needs and feelings. This develops our own spirituality and makes us more responsive and sensitive to the needs of others.

salomiagudovaДата: Воскресенье, 04.06.2023, 17:49 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
Although I fully agree with the second part of Saint Paisios’s quote, I cannot say the same about the first part. I don’t think that giving alms to anyone who happens to ask for charity is such a good thing. Not because giving alms isn’t good. Helping those in need is wonderful and pleasing to God, but I don’t think you should give alms without thought. It may well be that by giving money, instead of helping this person, you, for example, enable their addiction to drinking. I’m not saying, that you shouldn’t give alms. But maybe you just should stop to think for a second before giving money to anyone who asks for charity. You shouldn’t simply give money, so that you could feel good about yourself. That is why you shouldn’t simply give money to anyone you meet on your way to church without thought. And that is why, as Saint Paisios says, you should also go out of your way and seek people who have some need, because then you will be actively trying to help those who actually need help.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Воскресенье, 04.06.2023, 17:49

alekssander-com29Дата: Вторник, 06.06.2023, 13:56 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
I fully agree with this quote by Saint Paisios. It touches upon several important themes for an Orthodox Christian: helping one's neighbor and love, which are intertwined. In Orthodoxy, love is the highest virtue, based on the commandments of Christ to love God and love one's neighbor.

Love is not merely an emotional feeling but an expression through concrete actions aimed at the well-being and salvation of others. It is precisely the concept of active love that every Orthodox Christian should adhere to, as Saint Paisios suggests.

According to him, a person who possesses genuine love actively seeks out those in need to help them overcome difficult circumstances.
In my opinion, this quote conveys the idea that helping others goes beyond superficial acts of charity and stems from a person's love for their
neighbor, which motivates them to assist not only those who ask for help but also to seek out those who are in need of it.

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 02.09.2023, 23:33 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
Saint Paisios of Mount Athos' insight underscores the profound nature of love and compassion. This perspective aligns with various teachings and examples from both religious texts and classic literature.

In the Bible, Jesus' teachings emphasize the idea of going beyond mere charity and actively seeking out those in need. The parable of the Good Samaritan, found in the Gospel of Luke, illustrates this concept vividly. In this parable, a Samaritan traveler not only provides aid to a wounded man but goes out of his way to ensure the man's well-being, demonstrating a deep sense of love and compassion. This story serves as a powerful example of actively seeking opportunities to support those in need, just as Saint Paisios suggests.

Classic literature also provides instances where characters exhibit such selfless love and dedication to helping others. Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" features the transformation of Ebenezer Scrooge, who evolves from a miserly and self-centered individual to a generous and compassionate man. His change of heart reflects the idea that those who have love within them are driven to seek out those in need and actively support them.

In conclusion, Saint Paisios of Mount Athos' wisdom on love and charity aligns with both biblical teachings, as seen in the parable of the Good Samaritan, and classic literature, exemplified by characters like Ebenezer Scrooge. It emphasizes that genuine love compels individuals not only to give when asked but also to actively seek out opportunities to support and uplift those in need, ultimately making the world a better place through acts of compassion and kindness.

Para Julia

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 256 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024