Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 252
Archbishop Averky (Taushev)

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 17:32
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 252 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 252 (Archbishop Averky (Taushev))
Quote 252
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 26.11.2022, 19:20 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Evil inclinations cannot be peaceful, calm and joyful. The only way to pacify the soul is by suppressing and eradicating bad habits through asceticism, an ascetic way of life.

Archbishop Averky (Taushev)

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 28.11.2022, 17:28 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Saint Paul used the metaphor of an athletic competition to describe asceticism. He writes,
“if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules". (Tim 2, 2:5). "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified" (1 Corinthians 9:24-27).

Ascetic efforts like prayer, fasting, and repentance are what liberates us from sin.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 10:37

tsumskaa30Дата: Суббота, 03.12.2022, 15:45 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Sometimes we pretend that everything is perfect, that we are jubilant and blissfully happy. People try to placate their conscience, get the most of life without thinking of possible consequences. And for the time being they succeed in doing it but then they realise that everything disappoints them, they are not satisfied with their lives. Something is wrong and people who tend to analyse their behaviour deeply, try to solve this problem. It is in the Church where many people find pacification.

In my opinion, the Church established fasts so that we may look carefully into our lives. Fasts are special periods when we may ponder on our spiritual life, read serious literature and keep ourselves in silence.

Let’s take the example of Mary of Egypt. After she realised that she was a sinner, she decided to withdraw into the wilderness. She had stayed there for 47 years, but during first 17 years she had been fighting against dreadful temptations and with God’s help managed to win them because she led an ascetic way of life.

It proves that Archbishop Averky was absolutely right to say that asceticism is a significant part of conquering our passions.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Суббота, 03.12.2022, 15:46

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 09:39 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I agree with the utterance only partly. It is more likely, possible and convenient to restrain your passions in isolation. There are no temptations proceeding from the outside world, from certain people who used to tempt  us in our day-to-day life. Nevertheless, it is very hard to lead an ascetic way of life not being a hermit. For lay people there is an opportunity to retire only once in a blue moon. Does that mean that there is no way for the laity to eradicate bad habits, that is no chance for salvation? I disagree about it.

AUDIO

3,5 / 1

[Asceticism is not the same thing as monasticism.]

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:46

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:23 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
The thought of Archbishop Averky (Taushev) is close and understandable to me. Many people nowadays tend to justify themselves by saying, for example, that their aggression or dislike of their neighbour is due to their nature. At the same time, they suffer from their anger. The soul by its nature does not rejoice in evil. It's painful and unpleasant for it.

Subconsciously, people often punish themselves by giving up pleasant things after giving free rein to their bad feelings. This, I think, is also a kind of asceticism. For a Christian the world is clearer, it is much easier for us to live with such advice.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 21:40

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:05 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
I partly agree with this quote. Of course, evil inclinations cannot bring joy. But is asceticism the only way to suppress them? I don't think this path is for everyone. Asceticism is primarily associated with monasticism. Then there must be another way to pacify the soul.

It seems to me that a prayer, fasting and worship attendance is also eradicates evil from the soul. How can Communion be compared with asceticism? Asceticism is certainly a strong thing, but it suits only a few.

[Asceticism is quite necessary not only for monastics, but for lay people as well. The difference is in degree, not in essence.]

The comment accepted.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:20

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:11 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
I do agree with the quote as the world is full of peril and temptations. God said that one can cast out unclean spirits only with prayer and fasting. It is definitely the case, as only few people are Saints and can conquer evil with their holiness. Ordinary people when faced with bad habits can overcome them only when praying and fasting.
Only then do we suppress ourselves and thus the temptations.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Суббота, 06.05.2023, 13:23

katyadorniakДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:46 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
I understand very well what Archbishop Averky (Taushev) is talking about.

When I was younger, I liked to give myself free rein and be a mean commentator on the Internet. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I really did it. I thought it was my image. I felt an adrenaline rush when I did it. But then I was sick of myself all day.

Then I left social media for Lent, and when I came back, I didn't want to do it anymore.

Perhaps this is the best confirmation of Archbishop Averky (Taushev)'s correctness.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:50 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
Asceticism is self-denial of worldly pleasures, a measure of personal and especially spiritual discipline. The value of asceticism is in strengthening a person's will and his deeper spiritual powers. In the Holy Scriptures, the life of a Christian is defined as a struggle involving all the forces and efforts of a person to achieve the Kingdom of God.

Asceticism is considered as a common Christian duty, carried out in various forms, one of which is considered monasticism. Here I would like to give an example from life, which I remember very vividly.

Two years ago, I was in the Pskovo-Pechersky Monastery and it was the most amazing pilgrimage trip. We often listened to the monks, who talked about a quiet and peaceful life in the monastery. Father Lazar invited us for tea. I was surprised at the simplicity of their life. Small cups, bagels, sugar cubes, some apples. Everything looked very modest, but it didn't matter at all, because our conversations were full of warmth, love, sincerity. My parents brought a lot of goodies (fruits, vegetables, nuts, lean sweets, etc.), but Father Lazar refused to accept all the gifts, asking only for a few of his favorite nuts. Thus, I admired not only the incredible monastic services, but also the monks themselves, who know their true purpose and give love to everyone around.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 13.12.2022, 10:36

amasaltsevaДата: Четверг, 08.12.2022, 00:37 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I agree with the words of archbishop Averky. It seems that joy, satisfaction, or calm that some people believe to gain from their bad habits isn’t a true one, it’s just an illusion. Evil makes us unfree and enslaves us. The problem is how to get out from this slavery of obsession and become free. To be honest, I guess, asceticism, which is mentioned by the archbishop as the only way to pacify our soul from evil implication, is quite subjective and may be unsuitable for some people.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 13:45

marichernaya911Дата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 08:36 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
I agree with the words of archbishop Averky. It is thought nowadays that evil inclinations are natural part of our personality, that we, people, as everything in this world, are ambivalent. Everything and everyone consists of black and white colours, of light and darkness, of evil and kindness, etc. Of course, we cannot renounce this idea, as it's absolutely true. Nevertheless, it must be noted that all these traits are natural only for our sinful, fallen nature. That is not the way we were considered and created by God.

We were created in the image of God, but the fall happened, and we have lost our initial sanctity.

So, finally, the goal of our life is to become saints. That is not a figure of speech, that is literally what God wants from us - that we returned to the image of a person we were created. That we become as perfect as God is perfect.

The way of reaching is living our life with Christ, walking the way along with Him, and, in the words of archbishop Averky, - "suppressing and eradicating bad habits through asceticism, an ascetic way of life".

--

1. I love the Divine Liturgy; what happiness feels the heart when we hear the first words of the Great Litany: "in peace let us pray to the Lord - and the response of the choir: "Lord, have mercy". 2. And then the heart sings together with the words of the psalmist: "Praise the Lord, o my soul. I will praise the Lord in my life, I will chant unto my God for as long as I have my being. 3. And, after the psalms and "Glory... now, and ever...", we hear: "O Only-begotten Son and Word of God, Who art immortal..." - these words remind us of the mystery of the Holy Trinity.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:20

sensualpie111Дата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 19:41 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
I fully agree with this quote. People who seem to be evil from the outside may not be so clear cut. They can also do good deeds. Also, evil people can eventually come to God and realize how badly they behaved and repent. However, evil thoughts and inclinations in themselves cannot be justified in any way. You should not look for something good in evil intentions and inclinations, you should not try to dissemble, justifying them.

As for how to eradicate evil intentions and thoughts in oneself, I agree that asceticism is one of the most effective methods for achieving this goal. Asceticism teaches humility. If you combine an ascetic lifestyle and faith, it will be much easier to eradicate evil and sinful intentions and thoughts in yourself.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Пятница, 09.12.2022, 19:42

sasavasl15Дата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 21:23 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
I think this is too categorical a statement regarding the way to deal with the evil principle inside each of us. In our world, it is quite difficult to fully follow asceticism.

And I believe that this is not the only way out. After all,  only being alone with oneself or in the circle of other people that a person is able to commit sin and to reach atonement.

Asceticism has an advantage in the form of time, because it becomes more, which means that a person has more time to atone for his sins.

отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Среда, 14.12.2022, 19:42

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 22:16 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник
I certainly don't think that only an ascetic lifestyle can pacify the soul.

I believe that it is up to a person to eradicate the evil in himself. Man always invents enemies because he cannot resolve his inner conflict between his human nature and his spirituality. In reality, man's worst enemy is himself. He cannot be fought conventionally, for the greater the opposition, the greater the aggression on the part of the inner being, because his attention is focused on this conflict. The only way to vanquish it is to avoid the provocations and temptations of the "animal" nature and to concentrate on the spiritual usefulness of the soul.

Prayer is a powerful help to people in their struggle against their inner evil. It is probably worth mentioning perseverance. Evil thoughts attack and parry your prayers, so you have to be persistent when you oppose them in prayer. Perseverance means that your prayer is difficult to dispel.

отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:26

readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 15:04 | Сообщение # 15
Генерал-майор
There seems to be a misconception about asceticism in some posts. It is not about monastics, it is a universal principle of Christian life, that of self-restraint, in things both inward and external. Sine qua non, both for monastics and lay people. I highly recommend a book by an Orthodox layman from Finland, Tito Colliander "The Way of the Ascetics". It consists of a couple of dozen short chapters on different topics, quite digestible. If you read it in English (downloadable from here), you will kill two birds with one stone. There is also a Russian translation under the title "Узкий путь".

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 252 (Archbishop Averky (Taushev))
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024