Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 251
St. John of Karpathos

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 01:21
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 251 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 251 (St. John of Karpathos)
Quote 251
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 18.11.2022, 00:47 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
A chatterbox may meet with success in this world, but he will not do so in the next.

St. John of Karpathos

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 20.11.2022, 15:01 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
This quote seemed to me tempting and relevant today.

Who among us doesn't like to chat? When we meet with friends, we laugh and share stories from life. Every day we communicate with our family, colleagues, teachers and other people. There is nothing shameful and sinful in this. But in this quote, I believe, the author put a different meaning.

Verbiage — everyone is familiar with this concept. This sin, unfortunately, lives in almost every one of us. We don't even notice it in ourselves. Yes, communication in the company of friends is certainly good, but, to be honest, willy-nilly sometimes it comes to other people (in not very good shape). Then communication turns not only into prattle, but also into condemnation. One step to sin.

To fight this problem, we need to be more attentive to the words coming out of our mouths. Always think before you speak, and stop judging yourself and your friends.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:43

tsumskaa30Дата: Понедельник, 21.11.2022, 17:42 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I suppose that it is not a coincidence that at the end of the Prayers after Receiving the Holy Communion we read the following words: “Keep yourself in soberness, temperance and reticence in order to keep Christ in you in a worthy manner”. These words mean that if we start to gossip about earthly things we may profane the Holy Gifts which are within us.

Many monks recommended even to lay people to keep silence. We know a lot of hesychasts who voluntary rejected idle talks. Finally, we read in the Holy Scripture: “In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise” (Prov. 10:12).

Moreover, the Lord Himself warns us to be careful with our words because they are significant: “For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned” (Mt. 12:37).

To conclude, it is more wise to keep silence instead of idle talking but, of course, not in cases when you have to profess your faith and become a martyr if circumstances force you to do it.

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:08 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
This quotation is very relevant to our modern world. We are used to chatting and talking everywhere doing our best to be kind and friendly towards others. But in this case we forget about bad consequences which such openness can lead to. It may influence our relationships with God. It is not in vain that God advises us to keep silence more. Because beyond communication with people there is a high possibility of falling into idle talk where there's no place for prayer.

AUDIO

5 / 1

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:44

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:13 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
Saint John of Karpathos was a monk, and, as you know, one of the virtues of monks is silence. As lay people, sometimes we can talk more than we sometimes think. A silver tongue can lead a person to success. Such tongues pour out lies and flattery, seeking honors and positions for them. But when this tongue is silenced forever, its owner will be condemned for every word of lies, slander, flattery and idle talk.

Saint John poses the question to us: is it worth sacrificing salvation for temporary benefits? For a Christian, the answer is obvious.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 21:55

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:53 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
I absolutely agree with this quote. The ability to make beautiful speeches has been valued since antiquity. There is even a whole discipline that teaches this — rhetoric. If you sufficiently possess the art of a beautiful word, then you can easily dominate. But this only works in our world, not in the next.

I don’t think that a person can come up in the eyes of God or even an angel using only words. For Him, the main thing is not words, but actions. It is also worth remembering that among monks there is a vow of silence, whose deep meaning lies in the fact that it is necessary to do good, but not to speak.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:17

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:16 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
Speaking a lot has always been considered to be a bad habit.

While talking too much people often say things they later regret saying or sin by telling false facts about the others or revealing somebody’s secrets. There are numerous quotes about the usefulness of silence and it all proves the importance of it.

People who speak too much may be popular among other people but not in the other world where there is God who can understand people without the words.

I’d like to finish with a well-known saying: my tongue is my enemy.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Суббота, 06.05.2023, 13:22

katyadorniakДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:42 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
A good speech, a silver tongue, the ability to convince and discuss is an excellent thing. The layman who possesses them is doomed to success. But there is not a single guarantee that the talker will be able to "talk his way out of hell". Sinning by word is just as undesirable as sinning by deed. Moderation in speech, as well as in everything else, is the key to salvation.

I must say, I agree with the opinion of St. John of the Carpathians.But I shall not say anything more...

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:42

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:48 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
I cannot agree more with these wise words. Idle talk is not only useless, but also very harmful for each of us. The sacred gift of the word is not given for judging or talking without meaning. We "freeze out" our heart and our soul doing it. It's like a house with open windows and doors in the cold — nothing good can live there.

Therefore, in the heart of a person who constantly talks idly, over time, an emptiness forms that does not allow anything good or kind to enter into this heart.

The happy opportunity to put thought into words is given to us for communication with God and with another person, as well as for self-knowledge: by speaking, a person can hear and understand himself. Why is a person verbal? For prayer and poetry, for theology and singing. The word is a heavenly gift that must be cherished, understanding its purpose.

"For every idle word that men say, they will give an answer on the day of judgment" (Matthew 12:36), said the Savior.

AUDIO

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:48

marichernaya911Дата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 08:54 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I cannot say properly what St. John of Karpathos meant saying chatterbox. I can only suppose that it is said about a person who speaks redundantly, but does little, thinking that their righteous words would be enough for being proper Christians. So, what do we find when we see this image in our mind? Scribes of the Gospel. People, about whom Christ said that we should not act as they do, “for they say and do not” (Matt. 23:3).

In this world a chatterbox can usually deal with business successfully, reach their goals, be persistent or even sometimes lie for reaching something. They can easily justify themselves, whether they are guilty or not.

But do we really need to be justified here, on earth? Is it necessary that everyone, or the majority of people in this world, thought about us in a good way? Christ said, that such people are already receiving their reward here on earth. That means that in Heavenly Kingdom they would not be rewarded – they had already reached everything in their earthly life.

The Beatitudes in the Gospel teach us that blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven, blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted, blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth…

The conclusion is to be made that only our acts tells something about us. Only our good acts can
justify us before Christ. So, it’s better for us to be silent and live according to the Gospel, than to be chatterboxes and dissemble before people and God.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:23

amasaltsevaДата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 15:57 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
I suggest that by “a chatterbox” St. John of Karpathos doesn’t mean a person who speaks much but the one who is a real windbag, who speaks without deeds, whose words doesn’t bear any sense, the one who does just idle talk, whose words are verbiage. Why isn’t the chatterbox to meet the “success” in the next life? For there is nothing under his words, they are just a wind. For us as philologists this quotation seems to be a great reminder of a value of every word we use and of the  meaning each holds.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 13:45

sensualpie111Дата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 20:15 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
I agree with the point made in this quote. Many saints spoke about the dangers of idle talk and verbosity. For example, St. Isaac the Syrian says: “Silence builds, but words destroy!”

However, these words should not be taken directly. Some people may just start to be much more silent, but the words that they will still say will still be empty or evil.

Empty talk is speech that results in grief, multiplies the amount of pain in the world. If you keep up the conversation with your speech, lighten to your soul,
this is no longer idle talk, you should not be afraid of this. If you spend 5,000 words to comfort your close one, will that be verbosity? I think that people should just try to watch their speech, should try not to offend others with a word, not gossip, not multiply evil by what you say, and then the amount of what you say will decrease by itself.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 21:51

sasavasl15Дата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 21:06 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
This is a very interesting statement, with which I cannot disagree.

One of the main messages in Christianity is not to worry about this earthly life more than about the next one in heaven. And this is a very sound concept that helps me a lot.

But on the other hand, we should not limit ourselves to the word "chatterbox". I think many who are focused on earthly wealth, fame, comfort can also be called "chatterboxes" who achieve everything on earth, but not in the future life.

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 22:01 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник
This quote is rather interesting. I suppose its meaning lies in the idea that a person can "chat" his life away without having done anything worthwhile and good, anything useful for others and for his soul. Like most people, I am convinced that actions take precedence over words. People say things all the time. But often it turns out that what they say and what they do are two entirely different things. A person can say anything, whether it is a declaration of love, penance or, for example, a plea for forgiveness, but then it turns out that all the words he has said are hollow. Without action behind the words, it is all useless. A person who wants to enter Heaven should keep in mind the significance of actions. Less words, more action.

отредактировано 

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:27

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 251 (St. John of Karpathos)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024