Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 250
Saint Paisios of Mount Athos

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 00:15
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 250 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 250 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
Quote 250
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 12.11.2022, 23:14 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
God of course knows the condition of each person, but because we do not know this condition, He allows that we be tested, so that we come to know ourselves, to find the passions hidden within us, and not have unreasonable expectations on the Day of Judgement.

Saint Paisios of Mount Athos

tsumskaa30Дата: Суббота, 03.12.2022, 15:48 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
To my mind, this statement is absolutely right.

Sometimes we think of ourselves much more than we indeed are. Therefore, some hardships develop humbleness in us. God indeed knows everything about us but sends us temptations so that we may learn how to be humble, to be true Christians.

For example, we see that another person does something wrong, is morally corrupt, that we are sure we would never imitate and we condemn him/her. And then, strangely enough, we do just the same thing! It is allowed by God in order to open our eyes on our own sins. For the Lord said: “Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye” (Luke 6:42).

Therefore, we’d better meet every temptation with joy as they help us to humble ourselves, see what we really are and try to correct our mistakes while we still have some time.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 20:50

marichernaya911Дата: Воскресенье, 04.12.2022, 15:26 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Temptations sent or let by God are always necessary for our soul to be tested. Usually it happens when we think that we behave in a good way and see ourselves high in our own eyes. Then suddenly we fall down painfully and unexpectedly understand our true spiritual condition, which we hadn't really expected to find.

Therefore when something wrong happens, something that we do not want, we face God's will against our own and then our true essence with the absence of humility appears. We shall be grateful to God for these tests, and change ourselves for the better.

Finally, all the temptations that happen in our life are let by God for our benefit. The elders used to say that in the last times the only way to salvation would be bearing sorrows. And, as I see it, spiritual combat with temptations is one of these sorrows of the last times, as the world gives us so many of them, that we must be very strong in our loyalty to God to stay true Christians.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:23

abalakinan27Дата: Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 12:47 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I totally agree with Saint Paisios of Mount Athos. The main and the hardest task in the life of a Christian is to purify your soul from all its passions. Of course, the evil one will always tempt you but not without God’s allowance. We should get to know our heart, our weaknesses to struggle against sins. Furthermore, perception of our imperfection saves us from the lure of considering ourselves being excellent. Through meekness God cleanses us and then fills with His Divine Grace.

AUDIO

4,5 / 1

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:40

katyadorniakДата: Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 13:41 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
This quote of Saint Paisios of Mount Athos and its meaning made me think seriously. On the one hand, of course, I understand that God is
omnipotent and omniscient. On the other hand, it is also clear to me that He does not reveal his knowledge to everyone. Even to the saints, to whom God revealed information about people and their sins, He often did not reveal information about their own sins. Thus, God expects each of us to be attentive to ourselves, even if we have achieved certain heights.

If you think about it, wouldn't it be easier if each of us had a "scoreboard" on which our sins and good deeds were exposed? But
then we would be inclined to stop working on ourselves as soon as the ratio of evil and good in us became 51:49. Therefore, we need to always work, realizing our unworthiness. My personal opinion is that we need to rely more not on our own perfection, but on the mercy of God, never stopping work. Then on the Day of Judgment we will remember who saved us - not us, but our God.

So I agree with the quote of Saint Paisios of Mount Athos. I think we should never stop working.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 13:43

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:10 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
God is omniscient and omnipotent. These are his essential qualities. People can develop empathy to a certain extent, but we can never know the feelings and desires of other people. Sometimes we can't even accurately determine our desires.

Why didn't God make everything easier? I think because we have to make an effort to achieve bliss. We must study ourselves as discoverers do, and fight our passions like snakes and scorpions. Our soul is officially incognita terra, and our task is to make it suitable for salvation.

The quote of Saint Paisios from Mount Athos is understandable to me and very much to my liking. Indeed, we need to guard ourselves against unjustified expectations on the Day of Judgement.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 21:54

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:38 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I agree with this quote. It cannot be said that God sends challenges, but he allows them for our own good. And when we cope with them, then we know ourselves. We also learn how to deal with passions. Each time, we become more and more experienced.

And in this sense, I like the addition about the Day of Judgement. I never thought about it before, but now I understand much better the deep meaning of all tests from God.

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:30 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
I’ve never thought about the idea raised in the quote of saint Paisios.

At the first reading it even resembles the Calvinist theory about predestination where the destinies of all people are already decided. Calvinists believe that the social state people have demonstrates their status in the Kingdom of God.

However, Saint Paisios says that people don’t know about the divine plan and their destinies. Definitely, God knows everything, it is as if he looks from the top of cone and sees everything, whereas we are located on the side of the cone and so can observe only what we can see.

All in all, the quote is interesting, but it takes time to reflect on it properly.

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:47 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
I would like to speculate about what Saint Paisius from Mount Athos expressed about the limits of human knowledge.

In fact, I'm even glad that we can't know everything about the people around us. So it's easier not to condemn your neighbor. But I'm sorry we don't know anything about ourselves. At the same time, we are often too self-confident, considering ourselves good people and not noticing the growth of our passions. But that is why we must always be vigilant and take care of ourselves. And that's why I think our task is to get rid of unjustified expectations before the Day of Judgment.

amasaltsevaДата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 15:44 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I definitely agree with these words of St. Paisios of Mount Athos. And the idea I like most is that of human freedom. If God let us come to know ourselves that means He wants us to realise our sins and to come to an awareness - He doesn’t do it without our will as well as He doesn’t make us love Him forcibly.

That is also connected to another issue - an issue of sins which are hidden with our souls. Humans are full of pride, and it might be difficult for each of us to recognise our inner passions. It seems in most cases it can be done only with the help of God, by those “tests He allows to be used upon us”. It’s never an assault to our freedom: we have will to confess or leave it as it is.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 13:44

sasavasl15Дата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 20:46 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
After reading this quote, I had a contradictory feeling. If passions or sins are hidden in us, which we do not know about and do not commit, since they do not manifest themselves, then what is the point in their appearance?

Most likely, this shows once again that every person must go through the path of temptations and endure, but sometimes it seems to be a very difficult path.
I know many stories of holy people who specifically sought out temptations to resist them. One can cite as an example the behavior of the main character of the film "The Island" Pavel Lungin, who specifically tried to bring monks to conflicts in order to learn humility.

Perhaps my contradictory reaction is caused by the fact that I do not fully understand the concept of suffering in Christianity.

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 21:42 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
Indeed, God knows everything about people. Life was given to man in order to know it, to know himself. Man has freedom of choice, which gives him the opportunity to make mistakes through which he learns and becomes better.

отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:29

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 10.12.2022, 00:08 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
I agree with the thought described in the quote. People who are not Christians often use this judgment to denigrate the name of God, saying that if God is love and if He exists, then He would not allow so many trials and tribulations for people. However, they are not familiar with the ideas of Christianity so deeply as to understand that all difficulties are allowed by God only for our spiritual growth.

It often happens that it is through sorrows that people come to God and find the way of salvation. My grandmother went to church for the first time only after the death of her son and after that she became a very diligent Christian and stayed with God until her old age even when everything was fine. That is why I believe that all the trials allowed by God are actually needed by us, it's just that people do not see the whole picture. God is omniscient, which is why I am sure that everything He allows is for some good purpose.

Para Julia

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 250 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024