Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 249
Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 27.04.2024, 23:42
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 249 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 249 (Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt)
Quote 249
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 04.11.2022, 15:57 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
The heart is the eye of the human being. The purer it is, the quicker, farther, and clearer it can see.

Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt

tsumskaa30Дата: Воскресенье, 13.11.2022, 14:01 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
I agree with Holy Righteous John. Indeed, saints whose hearts are directed towards good, are closer to God, that’s why we entreat them to pray for us. Those people who strive to repent, to change their behaviour can see their sins clearly. When we are converted into Christianity, we are shocked by the number of our sins but a few years later we realise that we now see even more our iniquities that before. That may not mean that we are more sinful now than earlier but that we can see them more clearly which is certainly beneficial as, according to St. Peter of Damascus, “the first sign of the beginning of the soul’s health is viewing our sins, innumerable as see-sand”. Thus, we can understand why many saints wept sincerely because of their iniquities. And it was because their hearts were cleansed that they were able to notice their transgressions easily.

The same thing may be said about our perception of the Holy Gospel. In fact, it is more difficult to accept the Glad Tidings for those who object to listening to the voice of God and for those who are guided by passions. On the contrary, people who pray a lot, go to Confession and receive the Holy Communion can understand the Word of God more deeply.

St. Mary of Egypt comes to my mind. Undoubtedly, she was a sinner. But then she found strength to repent and withdraw from the world persevering in fasting and prayer. At the end of her life she knew a lot of passages from the Holy Scripture though she had never read it. That’s the miracle that shows how vital it is to cleanse our hearts.

All in all, it is only possible to see things in the way they really are if our hearts are pure.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 20:49

antonryadinskiДата: Понедельник, 14.11.2022, 13:44 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I agree with this quote. In fact, I didn’t know that these words belong to St. John of Kronstadt, since I heard them many times, even from non-religious people. I really like this metaphor, because many things in the world are inaccessible to our eyesight. Many things we can only feel, for example, the presence of God in this world. The purer our heart, the closer we "see" God.

The same applies to virtues that are invisible to the human eye. I will give an example from my own life. It happened to me many times that I understood the nature of the people with whom I was going to make friends. And although they were completely unfamiliar to me, I already understood what they were. And my expectations almost always coincided with reality, as soon as we became friends.

I don’t know how it works, perhaps the quote from St. John of Kronstadt perfectly describes this case, although I don’t have "the purest heart".

katyadorniakДата: Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 13:46 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I agree with the opinion of Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt. The human heart, his soul, sees what the physical eye does not see. As Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote, It is only with the heart that one can see properly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Purity of the heart is very important. If our eyesight deteriorates or vision devices get dirty, we see things blurred, but we can still guess their shapes and purposes. But if the heart is polluted, everything is much worse. The sinner sees his own vice in everyone. A thief sees a thief in everyone, a voluptuary sees a voluptuary, a liar sees a liar. Such an effect is given by a heart blinded by sin. And the worse the sin, the worse the heart sees. It can be purified only by repentance and exercises in goodness. However, it's worth it. A sighted heart can see the good even in the most lost person. And seeing the good and helping to realize it is an important step towards salvation.

So, I completely agree with the idea of St. John. This is a useful observation of a true Christian.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 13:48

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 13:17 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I fully agree with these words of Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt. It is exactly true that only our spiritual eye, our soul, can see the true side of a human. And the condition of our heart is extremely important to see things properly.

That is a tendency that good and kind people see others as good and kind. They do not recognise evil and meanness, and, as it seems to be, are even unable to understand and accept evil, as if it doesn't touch them at all.

At the same time all of us, people, damaged by sin, or often also by some traumas with which somebody wasn't able to cope with, people who feel angry, annoyed or even simply sad, often see others as if they were the reason of their bad luck and misery.

However, the spiritual law is such, that the only proper vision is the vision of a heart touched by God with His grace. That is why we should cleanse our soul, our spiritual eye, and learn to see the world and people as if they were undamaged by original sin.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:23

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:08 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
I get along with the statement of Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt.

Indeed, our hearts are the most important part of us. We must keep them clear from iniquities and sins in order to see God. The clearer our souls are, the closer we are to Him. Our way to salvation is very difficult and if we do not see where we are going, we can get lost and step on the wrong path, which can move us away from our main goal. So, we cannot let any dirt and evil in our hearts. We have to take care of our souls, so that our path is clearly visible to us and leads us to Our Saviour.

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:09 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
As far as I'm concerned this utterance correlates with Christ's words: "Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light" (Matthew 6:22). I fully agree with it. It is impossible to see our sins without a clear eye that is without a purified heart. We should be ready to hear the voice of Christ and at the same time quick to combat with evil.

AUDIO

5 / 2

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:39 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
The quote is quite understandable and close to me. I do agree with it as eyes are often compared to the soul. People see some good things which purify them and some bad things which bring along discomfort and dirt.

Almost all sins come from the eyes so there is a direct connection between the sight and the soul.
There are sayings that eyes reflect the soul and it’s absolutely true. In the days of pandemic when all you could see from the people were their eyes one could tell from the first sight what the person has in mind. What stroke me most was the beauty of the eyes.

People who love often say that they feel, see, and find with their hearts. There’s a direct link between the heart and the eyes as well. For people who love eyes aren’t necessary. The heart knows better.

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:46 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
I absolutely agree with Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt.

Well, people say that eyes are the window to the soul, so we should not darken it with earthly joys, sin and overshadow them with doubt and disbelief.
The more we read spiritual books, visit holy places, pray, go to Confession and receive the Holy Communion, the more it opens up for us. Our mind and heart are enlightened and filled with light and grace, as a result, we see our sins more clearly and diligently and sincerely repent of them.

And we always have to remember: “The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil
and the good” (Proverbs 15:3).

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:46

amasaltsevaДата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 15:14 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I liked the metaphor righteous John uses in these words. It couldn’t have been said any better.

I was reflecting on the issue for a while trying to get deeper into the meaning of the quotation. Finally, I concluded that the words could be interpreted quite differently. The common idea, as it seems to me, is that of humans "seeing" with their hearts and that those whose hearts are pure are closer to God. So, we can say that people who have pure hearts distinguish evil from good, for their “inner eyes” are clean and know what goodness is. Or it can be the other way around: the pure hearted viewing the world through the prism of their bright souls don’t see its impurity.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 13:44

sasavasl15Дата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 20:21 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
This is a very beautiful and solemn metaphor. I think by the heart John of Kronstadt meant the human soul or the ability of a person to love.

This is a fair statement, with which I agree. But only God knows how pure someone's heart is. Even the person himself sometimes does not understand or does not know. We are used to a "binary" perception of the world - either bad or good. But we apply this rule to those around us, but not to ourselves.

Therefore, first of all, we should strive to make our heart  more pure and brighter, and maybe then we can take a better look at ourselves and find another dirty spot to wipe it off.

отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Среда, 14.12.2022, 19:44

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 21:36 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
There is an expression "the eyes are the mirror of the soul". You can tell almost everything from a person's eyes: their mood, character traits, the truthfulness of their words and many other aspects of their inner world. The eyes do not conceal but reveal the secrets of the human soul. Therefore, the purer the gaze, the purer the human soul. I agree with the quote and believe that St. John of Kronstadt expressed it very accurately.

отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:29

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 10.12.2022, 00:37 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
It seems to me that in this quote, "heart" refers to the human soul. In that case, I fully agree with the idea described in the quote. People with a pure soul and good thoughts often see the world as it was intended by God. Children are those who have not had time to be influenced by vices and evil. For them the world created by God seems to be wonderful. No wonder there is such a saying: Truth comes out of the mouths of babes and sucklings.

In addition, when it comes to adults, if their soul is pure, then they have gone through many trials, not always bad ones. They helped them to better understand themselves and, therefore, they see and understand what is happening better. Such people better and faster distinguish the bad from the good, due to which their spiritual condition improves faster and faster.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 21:52

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 249 (Righteous John, Wonderworker of Kronstadt)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024