Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 248
Evagrios the Solitary

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 16:43
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 248 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 248 (Evagrios the Solitary)
Quote 248
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 29.10.2022, 13:52 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
When you think that you do not need tears for your sins during prayer, reflect on this: you should always be in God, and yet you are still far from Him. Then you will weep with greater feeling.

Evagrios the Solitary

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 30.10.2022, 15:04 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
If we consider "tears for sins" literally, are they needed at all? You can reflect on this question.

Have you ever cried during prayer or confession? If so, how did you feel? I can answer for myself. Sometimes I cry during prayer.  At some moments from fatigue, when I turn to God as a father, literally as a father, and ask him for help. Sometimes I cry during confession out of regret for my sins.

Man is a sensual and emotional creature of God. Sincere tears come, I believe, from the depths of the soul. But their absence does not mean that they are inextricable.

Is a person crying during prayer closer to God? I don't think this is some kind of criterion of closeness to the Lord.

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 01.11.2022, 07:20 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Abba Longinus was abundantly moved when he prayed and hymned. His disciple once said to him: Is it the spiritual rule for a monk to weep always when he is praying? The elder answered him, "It is indeed so, my son: it is the rule required by God. God created man not to weep but to be joyful and glad, that he might glorify God purely, as the angels glorify Him, but man has fallen, so he is compelled to weep. Where there is no sin, there is no need for weeping. Moreover, according to Saint Isaac the Syrian, tears in a prayer are a sign of God's mercy, which the soul was graced with by its repentance.

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 04.11.2022, 15:00 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
To my mind, I can’t agree with this thought entirely but only partly.

Of course, when one reads the 50th Psalm, ponders on its words and supposes that he/she is not so sinful as David was, and for example, as his/her neighbour is, that’s incorrect because it can mean that the person who thinks so is in prelest’. In this case it is better for you to observe your own thoughts carefully and repent with tears.

However, I believe that our prayer should not always be accompanied by weeping. For instance, on Easter the whole Christian world rejoices with exclamation “Christ is risen!” and there is nothing more needed at that moment. We may thank the Lord with true joy for all the mercies that He granted us as St. Paul wrote: “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you”. (1 Thess. 5:16-18).

Nevertheless, I can understand and consent that Evagrios the Solitary was absolutely right as true beatitudes can be attained only when people are with God, when they realise their weaknesses and the glorious mercy of the Lord. Perhaps, the theologian meant that when Christians are indeed close to God they weep out of gratitude for our Creator’s great mercifulness Who forgives all our iniquities and always stays with us in spite of our sinful behaviour.

All in all, I agree that when someone is really close to God, they can weep sincerely when they recall the Lord’s sacrificial love towards His creation.

antonryadinskiДата: Понедельник, 14.11.2022, 14:04 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I partly agree with this quote. I think that the degree of emotionality is individual for each person. For example, it is difficult for me to burst into tears, but instead I experience bitterness within myself. Thus, I believe that the absence of tears is also acceptable.

But there are times, especially during Lent, when the thought "...you should always be in God, and yet you are still far from Him" comes to mind every day. Then you really want to "weep with greater feeling". But even if you don’t want to, I don’t think you should drive yourself into a state of despair. The main thing is that the tears won’t be fake.

marichernaya911Дата: Воскресенье, 04.12.2022, 15:40 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
Christianity teaches that almost everything that is strange or even wrong for ordinary people is normal or even good for Christians. That we can say about tears.

As I feel it, tears is a gift. They tell us that our heart feels the pain of the others and is is warm and soft enough to feel God and accept His grace.

Tears while praying indicate that we stand before God and He stands before us, and our heart, small and sinful, by His love and by the humility and grace that He gave us, make us humble for some moments, and we understand our sinfulness and indignity, and we pray tearfully to God fpr help to come closer to Him, as we can do nothing by our weak strength, but He can do it by His grace.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:24

abalakinan27Дата: Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 12:28 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I go along with Evagrios the Solitary. It is a real grief to be far from God. Furthermore, it is the consequence of the original sin. We can’t but mourn our parting with Our Creator. Moreover, retention of the thought of the loss of the heavenly bliss is to evoke tears and help in praying fervently, with the gratitude for Christ’s Sacrifice, His gift of Salvation and the ability to reunite with Him through The Holy Communion.

AUDIO

4 / 2

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:38

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 21:49 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
It seems to me that Evagrios the Solitary means not quite the tears that we might think of. I suppose it's most likely about spiritual tears, about the feeling of sorrow that we should feel when we realize that we are far from God. Our spiritual imperfection may upset us, but we should not fall into despair. On the contrary, it should motivate us to become better and strive for God. It is very important for us to follow God's way, overcome temptations, fight sin in order to become closer to Our Heavenly Father.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 21:52

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:44 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
There are numerous saying about tears in prayer. One holy father said that one must weep before receiving the Holy Communion and it definitely makes sense. We are so far from God and the mere thought of this should be enough to make us cry.

However, I find it difficult to cry every time I pray. I often don’t have time to address God as I should. Moreover, people often pray for other things and don’t confess their sins or lament the lack of proximity to God.

Overall, it’s true that each time while praying there must be tears caused by our sins and the distance from God. But people often don’t have enough time or don’t make effort to pray with tears accordingly.

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:45 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
I find Evagrios the Solitary's thought both correct and very poetic. And here's why.

We can't help but cry when we are separated from our relatives. We miss and languish waiting for a meeting. And we weep bitterly when we move away from those with whom we were so eager to meet. Our soul naturally strives to meet God, its Creator. We distract her from her grief with earthly affairs, but as soon as she remembers Him, she will cry, as she should. This is the feeling that the author of the quote is talking about – the desire to return home.

I really like this quote because I am far from home and I feel it on a special level.

amasaltsevaДата: Четверг, 08.12.2022, 00:56 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
I like these words of Evagrius the Solitary, they are simultaneously very beautiful, relatable, and frightening, due to their truth, I guess. It seems by “tears” here are meant the tears physical as well as metaphorical, the tears of our heart and soul which can somehow cleanse us.

The statement that we are far from God may cause despair, and one may think tears which Evagirus meant are those of hopelessness and misery. However, I suggest that the situation is the other way around. These tears are the tears of those who acclaim their powerlessness and and solitude and appeal to God with fervent prayer and plea to teach them how to open their hearts to Him.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 13:43

sasavasl15Дата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 20:06 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
If we consider the word tears as a metaphor of grief, remorse and regret for our sins, then I completely agree with this phrase. Tears as a generalized symbol is suitable for describing what a person should feel. Deep and sincere regret for his sins and the realization that he is still far from God.

But at the same time, if you take it literally, then tears are not a sign of what a person really feels. Tears are only a physical manifestation of the fact that the body is under stress, a protective reaction to pain, therefore it is slightly absurd to judge the quality of repentance and prayer by the presence of tears.

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 21:31 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
Everyone is emotional in their own way. Some may slip on the ice and cry in frustration, while someone else, for example, may have terrible grief, but that person will not shed a single tear. The pain will not pour out of him through tears.
But that doesn't mean that he doesn't care, that he doesn't feel anything. He feels, but in a different way. It seems to me that it doesn't matter whether a person cries while praying or not. The main thing is that the person sincerely repents of his sins, the rest is of secondary importance.

отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:30

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 10.12.2022, 00:58 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
In my opinion, this quote has a valuable and useful idea for all Christians. We exist on Earth in constant fuss, trying to create the most comfortable conditions for our existence. However, we often forget that this life is temporary and is needed only to test us and lead us to repentance and salvation. People often don't take their sins as seriously as they should. To my way of thinking, this quote teaches a serious attitude towards sins. If people keep in mind that every sin takes them further and further away from God, then all people would weep over their sins while repenting.

Besides, people don't consider repentance for what it is. If a child has done something bad that greatly upsets his parents, then he comes to his father or mother and in tears asks them for forgiveness and comfort, being afraid to be left alone. Then why don't Christians weep over their sins when they repent before their Heavenly Father?

Para Julia

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 248 (Evagrios the Solitary)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024