Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 246
Venerable Isaac the Syrian

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 10:26
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 246 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 246 (Venerable Isaac the Syrian)
Quote 246
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 14.10.2022, 15:46 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
As medicines purge the body from the impurity of bad humours, so grievous afflictions purify the heart from evil passions.

Venerable Isaac the Syrian, bishop of Nineveh

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 17.10.2022, 16:36 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
I can't exactly agree with that quote. It's all very complicated. People don't want suffering, not physical, much less mental. Mental anguish is something that we very much want to avoid, something that we absolutely do not want to face. Joy and feeling of happiness - that's what people want. Hardly anyone purposely feels sadness, disappointment, despair, anger. Surely there are people who are spiritually strong. Most of them are Christians who understand that the trials God has given them are within their strength. These people know that any trial and suffering purifies their soul. Still, this quote is really hard to explain to those who are not in the church. People are already angry at God, wondering why he sent them suffering. And I think that's the prerogative of those who are weak believers. I know of incidents where people have committed suicide because they cannot bear all the suffering they have faced. And their souls went to hell instead of being purified. Yes, perhaps it was because their faith was small or because they didn't try hard enough, but still.

отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:32

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 18.10.2022, 09:49 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
There is a similar utterance of Venerable Isaac the Syrian on this topic: "God overthrows to lift up" ("Бог низвергает, чтобы вознести").

It is well-known what Holy Fathers were saying about the way of salvation of people of the last times. They say that the only way of salvation these days would be afflictions and diseases. As the times of true ascetics are far in the past, and these days this new way of coming to God became possible and, so to say, widespread.

Affliction is often the consequence of our estrangement from God, - Who is Life and Love. It might be spiritual affliction, when a person feels loneliness and helplessness, which appears because he or she has forgotten about Him Who helps us in everything since we ask for help. It might be physical affliction when God allows disease hurt us so that we could stop and understand the fragility of our body and life itself. It is naturally that due to the estrangement from God we suffer. And any affliction brings us to God, reconciles us with Him. Being broken by the sorrow we usually say "God, You see how weak and hollow I am. Come and help me, as I cannot do anything without You". This way we allow God to enter our life and rectify  what we have spoiled. That's that affliction is being sent to us for.

Since early times sorrows and afflictions were called "God's visitation" (посещение Божие). Our wise forefathers knew that a person suffering is a person blessed by God, Who have chosen him or her to make closer to Him. Therefore we must accept the affliction as God's blessing and appeal to us for reconciliation with Him. We must learn to accept sorrows and "bear our cross" "worthily and spiritually" ("достойно и одухотворенно"), as Russian Christian philosopher Ivan Iliin writes. For we are blessed with sorrow by God in order to be cleansed and reconciled.

--
1. That was very interesting and at the same time quite hard to read the book "Scholions on the Great Canon of Andrew of Crete" as the text of the Canon itself is very complicated and full of meanings. 2. A white pigeon carrying in its beak a twig of olive is a biblical image which is now widespread as a symbol of 'good news', peace and reconciliation. 3. We shall be honest and sincere so that we could bear witness and people could trust us.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 00:56

tsumskaa30Дата: Понедельник, 24.10.2022, 10:05 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I fully agree with Venerable Isaac’s vivid comparison. Orthodox Christians believe that the Church is the hospital for all sinners. We entreat the Lord to cleanse us from our iniquities, that is, to make us spiritually healthy.

Quite often people want to be cleansed but do not expect that it would be necessary to suffer a lot on the path of Salvation. When suddenly something bad happens, we fall into despair, become frightened and complain that the Lord has left us. Nevertheless, it is quite the opposite. Only in sufferings we may sincerely pray to our Creator, recall our sins and repent with all our heart.

One story comes to my mind. A Russian man was converted to Islam and became Muslim. After it he immediately got a continuous headache. Doctors couldn’t help him and then he started saying the Jesus Prayer. In several hours he realised that a headache had just disappeared. However, it was only after a serious illness and a wondrous recovery of his daughter that he came to Orthodoxy. That is an example which illustrates that many people start pondering on spiritual matters only when they have unbearable afflictions. At these moments they accept that “with men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible” (Mth. 19:26).

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 20:43

sasavasl15Дата: Среда, 23.11.2022, 15:14 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
A person starts taking medications when he realizes that his own strength is not enough to cope with the disease or "bad mood". Therefore, it is possible to draw a parallel and assume that severe ailments help to cleanse the heart of evil passions. At a critical moment, when a bad condition suddenly falls on a person, he realizes that he alone cannot cope. Then he turns to God and tries to correct his condition by cleansing. From this point of view, I can agree.

But, on the other hand, being constantly in a "serious illness" can bring a person to despondency or even despair. Even the most strongly believing people may begin to doubt and give themselves to mournful thoughts. Therefore, I do not have a clear opinion on this.

katyadorniakДата: Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 13:55 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
Suffering cleanses the heart. We often hear this message in different forms. Today it comes to us in the form of the statement of Venerable Isaac the Syrian, bishop of Nineveh. This saint compares suffering to a medicine that cleanses the body of "bad humours". Now we know that diseases are caused not by "bad humours", but by bacteria and viruses. However, this does not change anything in terms of infection and ways to deal with them. We need to oppress the organism in order to expel the organism from it. We need to inflict suffering on ourselves so that our well-being does not give freedom to our sinful passions. Many medications can taste unpleasant or cause side effects.

However, they eventually bring relief if taken in the right doses. Suffering also brings relief if it is similar to medication. They must be accepted with patience and trust in the one who gives them to us. We must trust God as the best Doctor, then our sufferings will bring relief and relieve us of our passions.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 14:03

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 21:23 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
I absolutely agree with the quote.

Sick people cannot be healed without medicine and this medicine can be bitter but to overcome a sickness is impossible without it. People have to accept the fact that their way towards health is usually very difficult and full of suffering. But they know that it's worth it and in the end they will be healed and healthy. The same happens to our souls. In order to purify them from sins and evil God sends us tests and sorrows. He doesn't punish us but shows us that there is something wrong with our souls. And we have to take them like bitter medicine to heal our souls. Spiritual suffering helps us to see our transgressions and get rid of them.

In the end overcoming sins with the help of afflictions we can reach the spiritual healing of our souls.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Вторник, 06.12.2022, 21:23

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:11 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
Having a contrite heart is a clue to sincere prayer. We are doomed to be wanderers in our earthly life. There's no true joy without God. Moreover, in order to realize the worth of beatitude it is necessary to be aware of griefs. Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world" (John 18:36). We should take it and pass it through ourselves to lead our life more consciously and to hope for the Age to come. And the ability of entering the Heavenly Kingdom will be given only if our heart is purified.

AUDIO

4 / 2

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:32

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:22 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
I agree with this quote, but this is not the only way to purify the heart from evil passions. Sorrows are indeed permitted by God for our good, but it is difficult for me to understand why such a method was chosen. I don’t have my own personal experience, I can only believe in this on the basis of the lives of the saints, and I don’t want to face sorrows, to be honest.

There are also prayer and fasting: «Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting» (Matt. 17:21). In my opinion, I would rather compare them to a medicine. These methods are also effective, and maybe they are even better, who knows.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:23

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:42 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
Sin is often compared to illness in the writings of the holy fathers. It is true: the effect of sin on the human body is as painful and harmful as the effect of disease on the body. And, just like medicine, suffering helps from sin. The effect of most drugs is such that they inhibit harmful microbes and viruses, literally burning them out of the body. Therefore, they can be bitter. The longing for one's perfection burns out the vices from the human soul in the same way.
I like the idea of Venerable Isaac the Syrian, bishop of Nineveh, but still a person should equally beware of both overdose and despondency, because it is also a sin.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 13.12.2022, 10:33

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:59 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник
I definitely agree with the quote. Sufferings are the only thing which can bring us closer to God. When Christ died in the Cross for our salvation He had to go through horrible tortures and His death was truly painful and unbearable.

When we suffer, even less than God, we undergo a catharsis of some kind which helps us feel the smallest bit of the sufferings Christ had to undergo.

Nowadays, a lot of people suffer and some people think that the suffering ought to feel indignant and protest against the war and what it has brought about. However, generally people are somehow resigned in the good way. When people suffer, Christ comes and sends them consolation.

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 10.12.2022, 04:31 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
In my way of thinking, this quote is absolutely true. The Word of God tells us that our sorrow in the hands of God's providence is a medicine for healing and correcting the flesh-pleasing soul. God, who wants everyone to be saved, therefore allows many trials to the righteous, because in these sufferings their soul is cleansed from sin.

And the holy Apostle Paul writes: “The Lord whom He loves, punishes him, and beats every son whom He receives. If you endure punishment, then God deals with you as with sons. For is there any son whom the father does not punish?" And our Lord Jesus Christ clearly teaches that our life is unthinkable without trials. “In the world you will be sorrowful,” He says. These trials constitute the cross that every Christian must bear in his life.
 On the basis of the Gospel and patristic teachings, the question of the trials that befall a person in earthly life is exhaustively and comprehensively disclosed by famous theologians, ascetics and religious thinkers of the Russian Orthodox Church. Christians need only study them better to deal with all the difficulties easier.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 21:53

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 246 (Venerable Isaac the Syrian)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024