Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 244
Metropolitan Gregory (Postnikov

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 19:43
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 244 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 244 (Metropolitan Gregory (Postnikov)
Quote 244
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 25.09.2022, 13:11 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
When people praise you, be very circumspect, because then you are in a dangerous situation.

Metropolitan Gregory (Postnikov) of St. Petersburg

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 26.09.2022, 19:58 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
It would seem that praise is good because it supports and encourages a person. But everything has a framework. Metropolitan Gregory says that when you are praised, you need to be careful. The point is that praise can cause vanity and pride, which to some extent kill the good in a person. Pride is one of the deadly sins. Pride often prevents a person from being wise and does not allow him to admit his mistakes and shortcomings, and this is really dangerous. Priest Alexander Yelchaninov says about pride: "A temperamental person who is talented and very passionate, sees nothing around him except his talent".

Although I am pleased when I am praised, I rather agree with the quote. It seems to me the best option is to modestly accept praise with gratitude, so that the praise gives an impetus to improve further, work hard and succeed in something.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Пятница, 09.12.2022, 23:14

tsumskaa30Дата: Воскресенье, 02.10.2022, 12:07 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Everyone enjoys being praised. It seems to us in these situations that we are needed and loved. Sociologists claim that the desire to be respected is natural and one of the most vital. They suppose that praise increases our motivation and improves our mood.

Nevertheless, from the spiritual point of view, the state of being contented and self-confident is damaging for our soul. For modern people this thought is just incomprehensible and quite odd. But it is so easy to become proud of ourselves and come to prelest’ in the end. For Christians it is obvious that these kinds of conception move us away from Repentance, and therefore, from the Lord.

Moreover, even Alexey Ilyich Osipov said many times that he is against giving awards to pious parishioners in the church, for example, after the Liturgy. Of course, we sometimes want to thank those who do something useful but the public approval can harm their soul. That’s why Jesus Christ told us: “But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted” (Mth. 23:11-12).

Therefore, I believe that the warning by Metropolitan Gregory is really useful and must be remembered forever.

marichernaya911Дата: Понедельник, 03.10.2022, 07:54 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
There is a tendency in some Orthodox communities where to think of any kind of praise as so spoiling and harmful for people, especially children, that it is almost never to be said. So children hear the words of praise only on their birthday or from occasionally overheard talk of their parents with their friends. And these children feel surprised: "Oh, mom/dad, are you really thinking so? I have never known...". I think this type of severity is often interpreted by children as lack of love as it is important hearing words of praise from your close ones, and those whose opinion is important for you... However, that's another story.

Talking about christian righteousness, Orthodox Fathers teach that all good traits we have in ourselves are given by God and belong to Him. But when people praise us, it is easy to forget about the idea and attribute our goodness to ourselves, then take pride in ourselves, then boast about ourselves, then glorify, and then... be defended and mocked by the devils for our pride.

So, we must always be extremely circumspect, as it is said in the quote, and thank God for everything good in us, without attributing it to ourselves.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:26

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 03.10.2022, 22:33 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I definitely agree with metropolitan Gregory. What is more, I would say I believe the mentioned “situation” to be quite common and even familiar to any of us.

So why being praised can be “dangerous”? Well, as always, it all comes to the “earthly” essence of man. Is praising bad itself? I don’t think so. It’s the way to share love and approval, there is nothing evil in this good intention. But then the ideal encounters the reality. Being praised is pleasant and enjoyable. Is that bad? It’s not bad, but dangerous, for it satisfies one’s ego. That leads us to a problem we have to avow: people are all selfish, the thing is not to become self-centered. To keep the golden mean seems the best way: we should neither think too much of ourselves nor be self-deprecating. “Thou shalt love thy neighbours as thyself”.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 13:42

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 04.10.2022, 01:48 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
I agree with Metropolitan Gregory's quote. The words about how to treat praise seem very close and understandable to me. Especially, I like the chosen word "circumspect", which very accurately conveys how a Christian should behave with praise. Why should we be very careful and vigilant about praise? Even if a person does something good, right and sincere at the same time, it seems that praising him will be the right decision.
But there is always a dangerous moment here. After all, a person accepting praise may begin to think that only he alone in this situation was able to do something good. But at the same time, a person forgets that it was the Lord who gave the opportunity to perform this action, that gratitude and praise should initially be brought to God, and only then to man.

It is worth mentioning here the words of Jesus Christ during the Sermon on the Mount, "That your alms may be in secret; and your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you openly" (Matt.6:4). In these words, Jesus Christ calls for the secret performance of good in order to show the main role not of man, but of God.
Moreover, the human soul, in which God resides, does not need human praise.Since the highest reward for a person's good deeds will be God's attention and care, because God cares about people who keep His commandments.

yarovaya02Дата: Среда, 05.10.2022, 13:38 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
«Хвалу и клевету приемли равнодушно».
А.С. Пушкин

In some cases, people have a negative attitude towards all praise, sincerely believing that it can make them proud and destroy their inner peace.

Timely praise was never considered a crime by the Church. Christ Himself praised the disciples when it was necessary. He praised apostle Peter, when he confessed that he was God: “And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 16:17)

Praise can encourage people, put them in the right direction, emphasize the importance of their personal efforts in the cause of salvation and inspire them to do good deeds. But praise should not be hypocritical.

But how not to fall into self-deceit? - When listening to praise, even if it is "deserved", a man should remember that everything that is good in him he owes to God, and that no good deed is done without His help. In this case it is appropriate to praise God and thank Him for His goodness and mercy.

abalakinan27Дата: Воскресенье, 04.12.2022, 20:49 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
It is entirely true and I heard it also several times. You should be very circumspect while listening to praise. In praise itself there is no evil. That goes without saying that people doing it don't think about hurting you but actually they want to do good. But taking the influence on your soul, it can be detrimental. The reason for it is the probability of thinking that you are extremely good and nothing could be done to improve your state and there is no sense in self-development. And this is the most hideous case for a Christian. We should pursue salvation through pains and efforts.

AUDIO

4,5 / 2

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:03

katyadorniakДата: Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 18:21 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
Praise is pleasant to a person, and there is nothing surprising in this. Anyway, we want our merits to be recognized by others. It is difficult to work without getting approval. The motivation of many people is praise and approval from others. On the other hand, it is quite difficult to distinguish sincere admiration from vile flattery. But that's not even the main danger. Even sincere praise can lead to the fact that a person will be possessed by the vice of pride, and this is the most dangerous vice.

I think Metropolitan Gregory meant exactly that. And I totally agree with that. This is absolutely accurate. An Orthodox Christian cannot get rid of an environment in which there will surely be someone who will praise and make compliments. This means that he must watch himself especially carefully.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 18:23

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 19:56 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
Metropolitan Gregory (Postnikov) of St. Petersburg was absolutely right.

We Christians have to do good deeds and be righteous but we shouldn't expect any reward for this. We do it not because others would see how good we are but because we have love for God and our neighbours. We follow the example of God and saints who never asked any praise and glory for anything they did. On the contrary, they always tried to remain unknown although they were worthy to be praised. However, they show us examples of great humility.

We are not saints, we are sinful creatures. We can feel pleased and proud when others note our good deeds and virtues. But it can be fraught with falling into temptations and sins. That's why we should cultivate humility and remember the examples of saints.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 21:48

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 21:41 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
A very vital quote, so I can agree with it. Praise is a very strange thing. It can both stimulate you to new achievements or make you proud and become worse. When you are praised, you should not be arrogant, on the contrary, there should be a desire to be even better. But even here it is necessary to find the line, because doing something for the sake of praise isn’t worth it.

I think that it is not always worth paying attention to praise, sometimes it can lead you astray. Sometimes even criticism can be better. But even if you achieve success in some area, you should always pay attention to the opinion of experts.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Вторник, 06.12.2022, 21:42

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:31 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
The words of Metropolitan Gregory of St. Petersburg are close to me. Praise can be a way of manipulation for a person's own benefit. The one who is praised believes in these words, is deceived and begins to experience selfishness and vanity. It turns out that praise harms everyone - both the one who lies and the one who is
deceived.

At the same time, praise for the encouragement or consolation of another person should not be forbidden. The main quality that needs to be developed in a person is humility. And praise breaks this humility. Therefore, if after praise you feel not embarrassment and confusion, but pleasure, then you lack humility. Also, it is not necessary to constantly praise children, as is now customary for young parents. It will be difficult for them to recognize the truth when a person is sincere and when he is flattering.

VIDEO

5 / 3

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 13.12.2022, 10:30

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 10.12.2022, 05:31 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
It seems to me that the sin of pride is one of the easiest to commit. Everyone subconsciously believes they are better than others at least sometimes, and often people even need to know about their superiority over others for validation. That is why you should be especially careful about praises, because each of them can make you fall into the sin of pride. It seems to me that in order to combat this, all Christians should learn humility with special perseverance. For me, studying the lives of the saints and the trials they endured helps remember about humility.

However, from another point of view, sometimes people need to be praised by others. When a person tries very hard and does not get any response, he can fall into despondency and harden his heart. Therefore, any good deeds and intentions should be noticed and encouraged. Such actions can encourage children to follow suit and do good deeds as well.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 21:45

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 244 (Metropolitan Gregory (Postnikov)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024