Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 243
Elder Sergei of Vanves

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 10:03
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 243 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 243 (Elder Sergei of Vanves)
Quote 243
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 17.09.2022, 12:22 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Take care to distinguish between your thoughts, as the Fathers teach. Stop and look, decide which ones are good and which ones are bad. Then, disassociate from any that you find to be bad, believe nothing they tell you, do not believe for an instant that they are a part of who you are. This is of the utmost importance, because if we accept bad thoughts, then they will stay with us and make us believe that they are actually a part of us.

Elder Sergei of Vanves

abalakinan27Дата: Понедельник, 19.09.2022, 08:55 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
I would go along with the utterance of Elder Sergei of Vanves. Especially it sounds so comforting for laymen who might be more easily tempted than clergy.

However, it is an ambiguous question, as for monastics struggle against bad thoughts can be even harder. Nevertheless, this quote has found reflection in my soul. It sounds similar to the idea of dissociation of a man himself as the image of God from the sin he commits. You shouldn’t be too picky about the stuff which sometimes is not under control of a feeble man. The only thing in your hands is appeal to God. Don’t allow bad thoughts to soak into you, turn them away with the weapon of Christ.

AUDIO

3,5 / 2

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Вторник, 25.04.2023, 12:28

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 19.09.2022, 17:54 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I have several favorite poems, and this is one of them.

Плохое всегда
прилипает к хорошему,
так как мухи к варенью
ведь липнут всегда,
к подоконнику
пыль прилипает,
и к душе
прилипают обиды,
словно все они
из пластилина,
и их лепит
наивная жизнь
как большущий
и глупый ребенок,
что не знает,
что делать ему
в этом мире
и умеет
лишь только играть.

I guess that the meaning of the quote and this poem are very similar. They are united by the idea that bad things always haunt a person. Elder Sergei of Vanves says that it is necessary to be able to divide thoughts into good and bad, and bad thoughts must be chased away. Certainly I agree with these words. Indeed, bad thoughts are very ingrained in the head and often ruthlessly deprive a person of the opportunity to exist peacefully, do good, help, love, because human thoughts concentrate on the bad, and it takes a lot of strength. Insults stick to a person like plasticine and the task of a person is to make every effort not to turn into a plasticine ball that does not let anything bright and kind inside.

отредактировано 

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:36

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 20.09.2022, 14:08 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I like reading works of Saint Paisios of Mount Athos.
These are some of his thoughts concerning the topic.

Human thought is like wind on the sea: ship sails there where wind blows.

The evil mechanisms of our spiritual enterprise must be reconstructed so that they become good. The most profitable enterprise for man is to open a factory of "Good thoughts". Then even bad things of our mind will be processed into the good.

Good thoughts should be cultivated. We have to control ourselves, when the demon brings evil thoughts, we should try to drive them out and replace them with good thoughts. Thus, we cultivate our inner disposition. Then God will have mercy on us and help us, so then bad thoughts will have no place within us.

marichernaya911Дата: Суббота, 24.09.2022, 11:40 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
This summer I read a book of precepts of elder Faddey Vitovnitsky. The book is called What your thoughts are such your life is («Каковы твои мысли, такова и твоя жизнь»). The main idea of the book is that we should listen carefully inside our heart, ceaselessly pray, keeping our mind concentrated, and repel wrong thoughts coming to our mind from the evil one. These evil thoughts are not ours. They are coming from the outside all the time, and our first objective is fighting with this evil when they are on approaches to our heart. And if we do not accept them and do our best to get rid of them, we will finally prevail against them and get closer to Christ in our heart. I am pretty sure that a person is what he or she thinks about. And all our life - physical as well as spiritual - is about choices. And the choices start from our mind and heart.

To conclude, I’ll refer to the Gospel According to Saint Mark (7:15): There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:26

tsumskaa30Дата: Вторник, 27.09.2022, 15:20 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
It is well-known that all our sins come from our thoughts. The first step of any kind of temptation is a thought. Then it is our will that decides whether to accept it or not. If we agree to continue pondering on it, it becomes our passion and we fall into a sin, but if not - our conscience is pure.

It’s much easier to control our thoughts at the very beginning when it is not conscious or deliberate. It comes from outside, from the devil, it is definitely not a part of us. But as soon as we accept it, we show our desire to stay with this passion.

Indeed, if only we always retrained ourselves when it comes to our thoughts, we would avoid many disastrous things. For the Lord told is: “But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies” (Mth. 15:18-19).

To conclude, I agree with Elder Sergei of Vanves as it is vital to control our thoughts as soon as they appear in order to define whether they defile or improve our souls.

sasavasl15Дата: Среда, 23.11.2022, 14:24 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
After reading this quote, I came up with a comparison with the book by Clive Staples Lewis «The Screwtape Letters", where the elder demon gave instructions to his ward. He advised to make sure that during a visit to the service a person has certain sinful thoughts, which should eventually become a habit.

I agree with this statement, because it can be difficult for me to treat rationally and logically all the thoughts that arise in my head. Sometimes you don't even think about the fact that only at the moment of accepting a negative emotion or a sinful thought, we accept and make a part of ourselves. I think this will be a useful practice that will help to avoid mindlessly following bad thoughts.

katyadorniakДата: Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 18:29 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
Human thoughts are an amazing thing. They can take us across the seven seas, make us anything, put us in any situation. And this omnipotence of the human mind is often frightening. The human mind sometimes plays bad jokes with sinful human nature. It would seem that they cannot harm anyone. However, we confess the sins committed by word, deed and thought. Evil is not the lot of man. Jesus Christ sacrificed himself to deliver us from Hell and the evil in us. You cannot allow yourself to doubt this and fill yourself with bad thoughts.

The thought seems harmless. However, it is with it that the case begins. And with a bad thought, a bad deed begins, a sin. So, we need to carefully monitor our thoughts, as Elder Sergei from Vanves said. Our mind cannot refrain from thinking about sin, unless it is constantly occupied with prayer and thoughts about Salvation, which is possible only for saints. We should strive for the holy state, but for now we cannot - we need to control our thoughts and pray for wisdom to separate good from evil.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 23:16

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 19:34 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
I totally agree with the words of Elder Sergei of Vanves.

Indeed, our thoughts are the reason of our good deeds and sins. If we let bad thoughts stuck in our minds, we will continue to commit sins. Thoughts are like seeds, it depends on us what kind of them we plant in our souls and what will grow out of them. The bad seed never gives a good fruit and also it can ruin the good ones we have. So, we should not let the bad thoughts effect our souls and ruin our virtues. We should be very insistant in order to eradicate them at the moment they appear.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 21:47

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 21:24 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I really like this advice by elder Sergei. It seems to me that it can be even attributed to the sphere of modern psychology. Many people believe that thinking determines our mood, our behavior and our consciousness. At first glance, this idea may seem very simple, but in fact we often forget it. Often, we are immersed in our thoughts in something bad, and indeed, it is easier for a person to think about the bad than to rejoice.

I think that we should always think positively, regardless of the situation. Sometimes it happens that we think out the worst possible scenarios in our thoughts. Then we are already really under the power of bad thoughts. The best thing we can do is to find the line between good and bad and start thinking positively. Then you can feel how everything around you changes.

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:28 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник
I really like an excerpt from Max Fry's book "Bucky Bugwin's Glasses" which immediately came to mind after reading the statement of Elder Sergei of Vanves:
"We are thoughts that have been given form. We are really made of thoughts. Everything that happens to us, we create with our thoughts. Thoughts are a part of the psychic space, moreover, the most essential part. By the nature of thoughts, one can determine both the emotional and volitional state of a person, and the state of any other processes, including attention, imagination, temperament, etc. Sometimes, to paraphrase a well-known saying, they say: "tell me what you're thinking about, and I'll tell you who you are".
I completely agree with this statement. After all, you are what you think. Negative thoughts and judgments can lead a person into a mood of despondency, discouragement, and disappointment. And this, from my own experience, comes from a lack of God's grace within us. I have noticed many times how my thinking changes for the worse when I start praying less often, or going to services less often. We should not give in to negative thoughts, but rather eradicate them right away.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 13.12.2022, 10:28

amasaltsevaДата: Четверг, 08.12.2022, 01:06 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
I agree with the elder Sergei of Vanves. Especially, with the idea that if we accept bad thoughts, they may make us believe that they are actually a part of us. Here a question comes: What is bad and what is good? How to distinguish one from another? Where is the line?

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Четверг, 08.12.2022, 21:17

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 10.12.2022, 06:04 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
In my opinion, the thought described in the quote is completely correct. It is very difficult for an inexperienced person to distinguish the bad from the good, but Fathers and Scripture teach us exactly this. Studying Christianity can help a person to better understand their feelings, thoughts, emotions and actions. A deep understanding and analysis of all your actions and their causes, along with the study of the ideas of Christianity, are the basis for the ability to distinguish bad from good.

However, even if a person knows how to distinguish between these two concepts, then he should still beware of the temptation to justify bad actions and intentions. Because of shame or pride, anyone can give a shade of good even to obvious evil. It is always worth remembering that no matter how you embellish evil, it will remain evil. People often justify bad actions or thoughts by saying that it is natural and common among animals. However, we should remember that a person should not become like animals, compare himself with them and justify his vices by the way animals behave. Man was created by God to rule over them, not to be like them.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Суббота, 10.12.2022, 06:04

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 243 (Elder Sergei of Vanves)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024