Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 242
St. Hesychius the Theologian

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 15:33
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 242 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 242 (St. Hesychius the Theologian)
Quote 242
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 10.09.2022, 14:18 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
We are not mightier than Samson, wiser than Solomon, more knowledgeable about God than David, and we do not love God better than did Peter, prince of the apostles. So let us not have confidence in ourselves; for he who has confidence in himself will fall headlong.

St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem, disciple of St. Gregory the Theologian
Philokalia, Vol. 1.

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 11.09.2022, 23:17 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
I want to start by thinking that these words are simple, but really important.

I guess, the author is saying that we should not be arrogant and we should learn from the enlightened from the saints.

Not to be too sure of your rightness, but at the same time not to doubt God. If a person is too self-confident, he will not be able to learn from others, whose experience is much richer and whose mind is wiser.

I rather agree with the main idea of this statement. When I was younger, I refused to listen to the advice of older and wiser people, so I made mistakes. Now I am older and try to absorb like a sponge what more experienced people tell me, listen and read intelligent personalities.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Суббота, 10.12.2022, 13:25

sasavasl15Дата: Понедельник, 12.09.2022, 15:22 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I agree with this statement.

St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem gives an example of great holy people who are superior to us in many aspects, but Samson, Solomon, David and Peter relied not only on themselves and their outstanding abilities, they primarily relied on God. And God was with them, guiding them in their thoughts and actions, which made them more righteous and faithful.

People often forget that not everything depends on them, and that they are not able to influence many things. It is necessary to follow the will of God, who guides us all on the right path.God does not speak directly to us, but we have many sacred books that can show us his will.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Понедельник, 12.09.2022, 15:22

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 12.09.2022, 15:40 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I definitely agree with the quote. I believe that man, as God's creation, should not forget about the significance of God's will. Of course, a person who works hard can achieve a lot, but often people who have achieved great success and, for example, wealth, forget about the existence of God, about the gratitude that needs to be expressed to God. Even if you are in the first place in the list of the richest people, according to Forbes, it is foolish to believe that everything in your life is in your hands, because at any moment your life can end and no money will help, because God disposes of human life. But this does not mean that you should abandon your life to the mercy of fate. Humanity knows the commandments that must be followed in order to find salvation and eternal life in Heaven.

отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:40

veronikachernykh15Дата: Понедельник, 12.09.2022, 22:13 | Сообщение # 5
Майор
This quote tells about the self-confidence of a person and about the fragility of his faith. One cannot but agree with this. How often we lament and get angry because of unsolicited advice, how often we do not want to listen to a sermon in the church or to read inspired books. But with what pleasure we condemn others and rejoice in our merits. This confidence in one's knowledge and in the presence of God in our lives is really destructive for the human soul. That's why we forget about real prayer and the need to read the Gospel. About the need to be sensitive and humble so as not to frighten the grace of God, because indeed "We are not mightier than Samson, wiser than Solomon, more knowledgeable about God than David, and we do not love God better than did Peter, prince of the apostles" - and we cannot afford to live otherwise than in an eternal reminder remembrance of our weakness.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 07.12.2022, 23:43

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 13.09.2022, 07:46 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
First of all, we should distinguish confidence in divine grace, by which man can be saved, and confidence in own faith and strength. As we can remember it is said in the Bible “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26 ) Indeed, everyone among us is week, hesitating in the questions of spiritual life and going astray. But still a seeking person is hoping to find salvation.

Moreover, we should understand that God wants everyman to be saved, to be like His Son: “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son...”(Romans 8:29). We are confident that God Can save our souls that we can’t do by ourselves.

But such confidence doesn’t presupposes carelessness and laziness, on the contrary, it obligates us to make every effort to achieve the goal. A Christian, confident in Salvation, may be compared to a soldier, confident in victory. His confidence doesn’t repeal necessity to strategize and to fight.

Do you remember the episode from The Old Testament when God Promises St. David to bestow victory over Philistins? As the Word of God cannot be broken, King David could do nothing, knowing beforehand the outcome of the battle. But instead of that, he attacks the enemy and exploits a strike. So conviction in divine help should motivate us to work harder, to live our life piously and devoutly.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 10:35

tsumskaa30Дата: Воскресенье, 18.09.2022, 11:52 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
Of course, I fully agree that we as Christians should realise our present state, see our sins and unworthiness in comparison to God’s absolute love towards people. For example, even if we have gone to Confession, said all the prayers before the Holy Communion and attended the service, we will still have no right to consider ourselves worthy of the Holy Body and Blood of Christ. In this case if we are self-confident, we are surely much more sinful than one who accepts his or her unworthiness with humbleness.

But on the other hand, thinking this way we can easily fall into despondency. We’d better not lose heart but keep our faith and hope that the Lord won’t leave us as we are created according to His Image. As Apostle Paul said: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me” (Phlp. 4:13). It is God Who acts inside of us, not we ourselves - this is a perfect state which we should strife to attain. Synergy is a key word.

To sum it all up, St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem is certainly right as we all are sinners but Christians shouldn’t forget that with the Lord helping us we can achieve much more.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 20:36

marichernaya911Дата: Суббота, 24.09.2022, 23:11 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
Nowadays all self-development books and psychologists tell us that we must be self-confident, love ourselves, forgive ourselves all our failures and drawbacks. That we are always right and everyone else is wrong, and our feelings and opinion are the main measure of rightness and truth.

At the same time, the Gospel and saints teach us that the only Truth is God and His teaching, while our sinful nature, liable to temptations and weaknesses, tends to fall. So, evidently, we are unlikely to be right in most of the cases.

Nevertheless, our rectitude and righteousness is only possible in God. If we love Him and do all our duties for Him, then for our close ones and then only for ourselves, we are right. And this rightness is only because of God and thanks to God, and everything good and bright in me is from Him, as I was created as an image of God.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:27

katyadorniakДата: Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 18:37 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
When I read this quote, I was interested in choosing these particular saints. History shows that in the life of each of them there were ups and downs. Samson was deprived of his power, deceived by the enemy and blinded. Solomon fell into ignorance and paganism. David coveted another man's wife and sent her husband to his death. Peter denied Christ three times. And yet they were forgiven and exalted by God for their great deeds.

And what about us? We may not have committed some of their sins. But we have not performed great feats either. We are dear to God, but what do we do to prove our love for him? If we are not given great powers, then at least we need not forget about great humility.

Therefore, I believe that St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem is absolutely right. Let's be humble and grateful for who we are.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 23:14

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 18:55 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
I couldn't agree more with St. Hesychius's words.

We Christians have to do good deeds, fight temptations and follow the commandments but we have to remain humble and should not be proud of ourselves. We are not saints, we are ordinary people who have a lot of sins. We are powerless without God, so we shouldn't be confident in our abilities. All we have was given by God and we have to accept His gifts with gratitude and humility.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 21:45

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 20:58 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
I do not agree with the words of st. Hesychius. I don’t think that such biblical comparisons should be made in relation to people. It seems to me that it is not good to compare people with saints. Of course, in contrast with biblical figures, we do not stand in the same row, but we should not belittle ourselves.

In my opinion, you need to be confident in yourself. For example, Peter, while he was a disciple of Christ, fell more than once. Many other saints also made mistakes in their lives, and this is typical of all people in general. The main thing is to have the strength to perk up and avoid your mistakes.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:12

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 22:14 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
I fully agree with this quotation. Humility is the main goodness we should acquire. Christ Himself, the Creator of this world, God Omnipotent came down from heaven to be tortured, to suffer and even to be crucified for us - unworthyservants

He demonstrated to us an example of self-sacrificing love. How could we on earth be arrogant, self-important and pompous? That is out of place.

Moreover, all great people stumbled in one way or another. Those who seemed to be self-confident and impeccable did so. The Gospel teaches us: "For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted" (Mt. 23:12). We should be unswervingly loyal to this command.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:00

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:26 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
I absolutely agree with the statement of St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem. Absolute self-confidence, overestimated self-esteem is a real sign of pride. Pride is the sin of Satan, the first passion that appeared in the world before the creation of people. Satan became proud of his power and strength and desired to become like God himself. It turns out that pride is, first of all, a rebellion against God.

The life of Christ is an example of the struggle against pride. Our Lord Jesus Christ, in his earthly life, has repeatedly shown us an example of humility, starting from washing of the feet at the Last Supper and ending with martyrdom on the cross.

A false sense of self-importance gives rise to condemnation. Then the desire to judge others is born. As a result, people become unfair judges. We should always remember these words from the Gospel:
"For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you."(Matthew 7:1). Thus, pride generates other sins, leads a person astray, distances him from God.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 13.12.2022, 10:26

amasaltsevaДата: Пятница, 09.12.2022, 01:29 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник
Truth be told, I didn’t really like the quotation when I first saw it. But then I read it and changed my mind a bit.

I’m not sure I’ve understood the words of St. Hesychius the Theologian of Jerusalem correctly, but what I got from them was the idea of the importance of being humble and meek. If you think too much about yourself, you become prideful; and being in this state contradicts Christianity which teaches: “blessed be the meek”. If we think too much about ourselves, we become overly confident, which can lead to an alienation from God.

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 10.12.2022, 06:23 | Сообщение # 15
Подполковник
In my opinion, this quote describes a very good thought, but a little not obvious. It seems to me that pride, which is a sin, should not be taken for confidence and firmness in one's convictions. When a person is only at the beginning of any path, he must have boldness, but also an assumption about how he will start his business, how he will manage the days of his life, how he will marry, start a family, build his house. If he is deprived of such a view of the future, steps aside, declaring: "I can not do anything," then there is nothing good in this - this is unhealthy, painful defeatism, and God does not want us to be like that. God created us in his own image and likeness so that people would be kings. But, of course, we become kings only after we curb our passions and sins, which make us their slaves. Only then will spiritual freedom be translated into the reality of our decisions and deeds.

Selfish self-confidence is when a person says: "I can do everything myself and do not need anyone to achieve my goals." But not when you say, “With God's help, I will; I will try to do this, and I pray to God that He will help me."

Para Julia

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 242 (St. Hesychius the Theologian)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024