Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 241
Saint Paisios of Mount Athos

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 27.04.2024, 19:30
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 241 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 241 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
Quote 241
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 03.09.2022, 21:20 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
If one understands the mysteries of spiritual life and the mystical way in which God works, he ceases worrying over what happens to him, because he accepts joyfully the bitter medicines that God gives him for the health of his soul. Such a person considers everything to be the result of his prayer, since he constantly asks from God to purify his soul.

Saint Paisios of Mount Athos
Spiritual Councils IV: Family Life

sasavasl15Дата: Понедельник, 05.09.2022, 10:06 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
In this quote, Saint Paisios of Mount Athos talks about how to correctly perceive "the bitter medicines", in other words, the problems and difficulties that a person constantly faces. St. Paisios of Mount Athos asserts that if a person understands that his whole life is under the providence of God, that all these difficulties occur not just like that, but for the purification of his soul, then he will gladly accept everything that happens.

An example that can prove the correctness of this judgment is the description of the life of Job The Long-Suffering, who was deprived of all wealth, servants and children, and after that his body was struck by a terrible disease. But he perceived all these events as the providence of God, didn’t grumble and complain, for which in the end he was rewarded doubly.

I agree with this statement. God is watching over each of us, and each of us must commit ourselves to Him without reserve. Otherwise, a person's life turns into a torment: he wants everything in his life to go as he wants. However, everything is not going the way he wants, and therefore his soul does not find peace. Very often we forget that everything that happens in our life is sent to us by God, and has a more global meaning than we can imagine, so we should thank God for the opportunity to become better through trials.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Пятница, 09.12.2022, 19:53

marichernaya911Дата: Понедельник, 05.09.2022, 19:01 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
The main point of the quote is the matter of our faith. Symeon the New Theologian reminds us the main point of Christianity – faith. I agree with these words. There are many ways of living a life, but the substance is the same. God should be the center of our life. And faith is our “bed of thorns” that helps us see Him in the circumstances of our life and of our close ones.

Apostle Paul says: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Heb. 11:1). When Jesus healed He was always saying: According to your faith be it unto you (Matt. 9:29). So, as we can see, the substance of all our spiritual life is our faith.

We should pray for giving us true faith. Because if we have strong faith that everything in our life is given and ruled by God, nothing is harmful for us, nothing is able to destroy us, as we are constantly together with God.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:28

tsvioletta17Дата: Понедельник, 05.09.2022, 22:43 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
Firstly I want to say how I understand this quote. I got it like anyone who lives a worthy and honesty life can save your soul. You can live in monasteries but be lazy and lying. In the same time you can live in city traffic but be as good as gold and love God. It is not your home influences on your salvation but your lifestyle.

I believe that Christianity should adapt to the modern world, so to speak. The sacred laws have not changed for two thousand years, but the world is changing every day.

I will try to put my idea of Christianity in a nutshell. For me, Christianity is freedom of choice and endless pure love.

[Identical to 240]

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 05.09.2022, 22:43

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 07.09.2022, 19:21 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
It is obvious that God gives us only those things that are necessary for our Salvation. But it is our own choice whether accept it or not.

Quite often we pray to the Lord to help us so that we may become humble, patient, merciful. We long for repentance and all-embracing love. However, when something unpleasant happens we are depressed and upset thinking that God ignored our supplication. That’s so illogical. Firstly, we want to be righteous but when temptations come, we are unsatisfied though the only way to be with God is to follow the narrow way. This path involves difficulties, but the reward is worth it. However, people are creatures who wish everything to be easy and quick. Our Saviour warned us: “Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me” (Mark 8:34). The Lord sends us some temptations on purpose to make us humble and loving though we can’t realise it.

I can give a simple example. My friend passed her final exams in school but not so perfectly as she had expected. Of course, she was depressed and the only right decision for her was to enter our university though it wasn’t her dream. Nevertheless, it is in our university where she managed to find her beloved husband. Who knows what would have happened with her personal life if she had had better results several years ago? The Lord knows better what is useful for our soul and what is just disastrous.

This thought expressed by Saint Paisios is inspiring and it can encourage us to trust the Lord more than we do now.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 20:34

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 18:42 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
I totally agree with Saint Paisios.

We usually pray to God asking Him to achieve some goals. However, we forget that we have to ask not what we want but we have to ask God to  take our life under His control. For we should live by God's will, not by ours. We have to entrust our lives to God because He only knows what is best for us. Our prayers have to be aimed at asking for humility.

During our lives we encounter many obstacles and temptations. It's not because God punishes us but because He hears our prayers. He helps us to purify our souls through overcoming these obstacles. He didn't promise us an easy life on the Earth but He promised to grant the joyful one in Heaven if we would take up our crosses and follow Him along the narrow way.

So we have to face difficulties and be humble remembering that everything is in God's hands.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 21:41

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 20:34 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I like this quotation of Saint Paisios, and I can even agree with him. But it seems to me that the main word here is "if". In my opinion, one must be a man of a holy life or a saint in order to understand all the mysteries of the spiritual life. It is difficult for an ordinary person to reach such a spiritual level. But we certainly must believe that everything God does for us is definitely for the best. Even challenges must be accepted with joy.

I also like the idea of prayer. The result of prayer should not necessarily be joyful, as many people think. We often ask God for something thoughtlessly, and we must understand that challenges can be sent to us in response, so that we can understand how important our requests are. And in this case they will be a benefit for the one who prays.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:11

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:22 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
As a comment on this statement, I would like to quote an excerpt from the life of St. Ambrose:

“After, as it is said, on a time he went to Rome, and when he was on a time by the way harboured with a rich man, Saint Ambrose began to demand him of his estate. That rich man answered: Sir, mine estate is happy enough and glorious, for I have riches enough, servants, varlets, children, nephews, cousins, friends, and kinsmen which serve me, and all my works and besoins come to my will, ne I have never thing that may anger ne trouble me. Then said Saint Ambrose to them that were with him: Flee we hence, for our Lord God is not here, haste you fair children, haste you and let us abide here no longer lest the vengeance of God take us, and that we be not wrapped in the sins of these people. They departed and fled anon, but they were not gone far but that the earth opened and swallowed in all the house of this rich man, and there abode not as much as the step ne of himself ne of all that ever he had. Then said Saint Ambrose: behold fair children how great pity and how great mercy God doth to them that have adversity in this world, and how wroth he is to them that have the wealth and riches of this world”.

Thus, we understand that the carefree, grief-free life that this man led was in fact the abandonment of God. Such a person does not pay for sins, and does not save any spiritual savings, he is not ready to suffer for the love of Christ. When the elder Paisius of Athos was asked why there is so much suffering in the world now, he replied: "From the love of God." The saints rejoiced in the midst of suffering. The joy of suffering  when God elevates you above pain. We achieve this through humility.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:24

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 07.12.2022, 00:00 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
Saint Paisius of Mount Athos is absolutely right. We think too much about short-term goals. Human life is too short. We make plans for tomorrow, for months, for years, but the fact is that our planned life can end at any minute. We are angry and indignant because of small troubles, because of illnesses, because of the lack of plans. But all this is sent to us for a purpose by a loving God. Perhaps we need to acquire a peaceful spirit.

Perhaps we need to stop worrying and gratefully accept everything that God sends us. When we stop worrying about worldly goods, all that will remain for us is to pray for salvation and purity of soul, and all our desires will be focused on meeting God, who has done everything for our happiness.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

amasaltsevaДата: Четверг, 08.12.2022, 21:51 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I do agree with St. Paisios of Mount Athos. No one apart from God knows the future and the real course of events. We are unaware of what we need those “bitter medicines”, which God sends to each of us, for. We should not call God fair and try to find fairness in miseries we sometimes face. We all suffer. The thing is not to be distracted by them. I suppose it would be much easier to accept all that is happening in our mad world if we just truly rely on God, open our heart to Him and, as St. Paisios said, “constantly ask from God to purify our souls”.

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 10.12.2022, 13:47 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
Man is often faced with trials - shocking situations through which he is reborn internally. Sometimes it is difficult for us to keep the bar high in our spiritual life by the power of belief alone. In order to maintain the flame of faith in our hearts, the Lord then sends us a stressful event or even a chain of events. God awakens us from our spiritual slumber and calls us to recognise the temporality of earthly life and the falsity of material values. I share the quote that states that it is necessary for a person to overcome difficulties steadily, because through these difficulties a person becomes stronger and his soul is purified.

отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:41

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 02.09.2023, 23:36 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
Saint Paisios' wisdom emphasizes the profound connection between understanding the mysteries of spiritual life and maintaining inner peace in the face of life's challenges. This perspective finds resonance in both spiritual teachings and classic literature.

In the Bible, the Apostle Paul's writings in the New Testament reflect a similar outlook. Paul, despite enduring numerous hardships and trials, including imprisonment and persecution, expressed contentment and joy in his letters. His understanding of God's plan and his unwavering faith allowed him to endure suffering with grace. In Philippians 4:11-13, Paul writes, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances... I can do all this through him who gives me strength." This demonstrates that a deep understanding of spiritual truths can lead to a sense of inner peace and acceptance of life's challenges.

Classic literature also provides examples of characters who exhibit such resilience in the face of adversity. In Fyodor Dostoevsky's novel "Crime and Punishment," the protagonist, Raskolnikov, undergoes a transformation from a troubled, guilt-ridden soul to a redeemed individual who accepts his suffering as a means of spiritual growth and redemption. Raskolnikov's journey echoes Saint Paisios' belief that accepting life's bitter experiences can lead to the healing of one's soul.

In conclusion, Saint Paisios of Mount Athos' teaching on understanding the mysteries of spiritual life and embracing life's challenges as opportunities for spiritual growth aligns with both biblical teachings, as seen in the example of the Apostle Paul, and classic literature, as demonstrated through characters like Raskolnikov. It underscores the notion that a deep understanding of God's plan and a commitment to spiritual purification can bring inner peace and enable individuals to joyfully accept life's trials as a means of soul healing.

Para Julia

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 241 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024