Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 240
Venerable Symeon the New Theologian

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 15:34
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 240 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 240 (Venerable Symeon the New Theologian)
Quote 240
readeralexeyДата: Четверг, 07.07.2022, 18:47 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Provided they live a worthy life, both those who choose to dwell in the midst of noise and hubbub and those who dwell in monasteries, mountains and caves can achieve salvation. Solely because of their faith in Him God bestows great blessings on them. Hence those who because of their laziness have failed to attain salvation will have no excuse to offer on the day of judgment. For He who promised to grant us salvation simply on account of our faith in Him is not a liar.

Venerable Symeon the New Theologian

yarovaya02Дата: Четверг, 01.09.2022, 07:29 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
In the Epistles we read “For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, even so faith apart from works is dead.” (Jacob James 2:26)
How then can we say that it is enough to believe to achieve Salvation?

Holy fathers distinguish two kinds of faith — the first one is to believe in what is said, for example we believe sermons and words about Christ that we hear, for example on at the Liturgy. The second kind of faith is a heartfelt faith - when we firmly believe that God Will Bestow His mercy upon us.

As far as I have understood, the first kind of faith can’t exist without good deeds, such as mercy and love; we can’t just say I believe and accept that there is God, therefore my soul is saved. No, that’s not enough. “You believe that God is one. You do well. The demons also believe—and shudder.” ( Jacob James 2:19) So we should not just admire admit that God Exists, but we should follow Christian commandments, love God and our neighbors.

Talking about the second kind of faith, we mean such a faith when we believe that God is merciful, that He Will grant us His Holy gifts. I should mention that heartfelt faith, which Saint Abraham had, already presupposes good deeds and righteous life, because heartfelt  firm faith wouldn’t have appeared without virtue. Saint Theophylact the Bulgarian thought that as myrrh can’t be saved in a dirty vessel, likewise faith can’t be found in a sinful soul.

A boy HEARKENED to his parents. Don’t harbour ENMITY against them. We can’t COMPREHEND the incomprehensible.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 07.12.2022, 21:12

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 03.09.2022, 15:06 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
The soul is the divine principle in man. And I can believe that the goal of a true Christian's life is the Salvation of the soul. Everyone knows that Salvation means finding eternal life in Heaven. It is curious to compare how much a person requires from God with how much God requires from a person. People want success, well-being, fulfillment of desires, forgiveness and much more, while God only needs sincere faith from a person: "Solely because of their faith in Him God bestows great blessings on them". I definitely agree with the quote of Venerable Simeon the New Theologian. His words about human Salvation, in my opinion, are absolutely correct. It is worth noting that despite such a small request from God to people, people do not make efforts to achieve Salvation. They are lazy and their laziness cannot be justified. When people truly believe in God, they understand the need to repent of their sins, obedience, love for people, humility, and all this helps to embark on the path of Salvation.

tsvioletta17Дата: Суббота, 03.09.2022, 20:41 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
Firstly I want to say how I understand this quote. I got it like anyone who lives a worthy and honest life can save their soul. You can live in monasteries but be lazy and lying. At the same time you can live in city traffic but be as good as gold and love God. It is not your home that influences on your salvation but your lifestyle.

I believe that Christianity should adapt to the modern world, so to speak. The sacred laws have not changed for two thousand years, but the world is changing every day.

I will try to put my idea of Christianity in a nutshell. For me, Christianity is freedom of choice and endless pure love.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 22:37

tsumskaa30Дата: Воскресенье, 04.09.2022, 11:23 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
It is definitely true that both lay people and monks can believe in God and be Christians. Though their ways of life differ, their soul may be with the Lord.

The main thing for us to do in our lives is to learn how to love the Lord and our neighbours. I suppose that there are two ways to do that. The first is to dedicate ourselves to our Creator, to fast a lot, pray and obey our spiritual directors, that is, to become monks. The second path is to stay in this noisy world.

In both cases people should seek to sacrifice themselves in order to be loyal to Christ. Monks sacrifice all their lives in order to be closer to God, they deny themselves any kind of entertainment, and this way is blessed. But that’s surely not for everybody. Someone can be of more benefit leading a family life, bringing up children and taking care of his or her wife or husband. For St. Paul wrote: “Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ” (Gal. 6:1). Both these choices show people’s desire to serve the Lord. They are equally precious. We should at least try to be Christians, to do something in Christ’s name if we really want to be saved.

Therefore, I agree with Venerable Symeon. We shouldn’t be lazy, but do our best to be with Christ under those conditions that God gave us.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 20:31

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 18:12 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
I agree with Venerable Symeon's words. Indeed, God grants salvation to everyone who has faith in Him. However, obviously, He doesn't mean that we have to believe in His existence. Firstly, we should understand precisely what the real faith is. "Faith without works is dead" - Jesus Christ says. Faith means a lot more than just believing. It consists of good works, love for our neighbours, virtues, fulfillment of the commandments. All of these should be attained by true Christians who seek salvation no matter where they are. Both those who choose to live in the monasteries and those who live in the noisy world cannot be lazy as for good deeds. Monks and ordinary people like us must labour spiritually on the daily basis in the name of Our God because that is the only faith which can lead us all to salvation.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Воскресенье, 11.12.2022, 21:43

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 19:15 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I agree with Venerable Symeon's words, because God will bless everyone who believes in him. And it doesn’t matter if you are a monk or a lay person, because everyone has their own individual life path: “For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it” (Matt 19:12). It is easier for someone to be a monk and thus achieve salvation, while someone cannot imagine his/her life in the world without a family.

And the main thing here is not to deviate from Christ, regardless of the chosen path. You must also always remember that God is invisibly present in all your deeds and undertakings. Don’t forget and don't be lazy to go to the Liturgy, don’t put off reading the Scriptures and etc. I think only by overcoming this kind of laziness salvation can be obtained.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 19:08

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:09 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
I go along with this phrase. God said: "According to your faith be it unto you" (Matthew 9:29). Faith is a gift which is given to those who are passionate about it, who seek God. There's no doubt that our diligence, all our efforts and pains will be counted and considered by God. Salvation is definitely doesn't depend on the place where you happen to be during your life. As everyone has their own Cross and they should take it and carry it with diligence till death. God bestows everybody an opportunity to achieve salvation. The only thing we should do is to see it and then do our utmost.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 12.12.2022, 18:58

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:21 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
Venerable Symeon the New Theologian expresses a remarkable idea about the equality of all Christians. No matter where a person tries to lead a God-pleasing lifestyle, all this is valuable in the eyes of God. On the one hand, his thought comforts me, because as a laywoman I have often wondered if my way of life does not condemn me to death from sin. On the other hand, this thought motivates me to work, because there really will be no excuse for me if I don't do enough. On the Day of the Last Judgment, laymen and monks, kings and patriarchs will be judged equally. But every believer has a chance to be saved. This, in my opinion, is what Venerable Symeon is talking about.

katyadorniakДата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 23:59 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
I am glad that St. Simeon the New Theologian confirms what I have always believed. The only thing that prevents a person from achieving holiness and salvation is our laziness. The environment in which a person lives is nothing more than a place where he can improve his spiritual skills and manifest himself as a true servant of God. There is no universal way to escape sin related to the environment. There is only one recipe: love God the most, be afraid to upset Him as a friend, as a parent. And then, even in the most hopeless environment it will be possible to gain salvation. On the Day of Judgment, our cases will be judged impartially, apart from all that we call "mitigating circumstances". For our souls, faith and love for God, which can be preserved in any conditions, will be judged.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Вторник, 02.05.2023, 14:02

sensualpie111Дата: Суббота, 02.09.2023, 23:38 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник
Venerable Symeon the New Theologian's statement underscores the idea that salvation is attainable by individuals living in various circumstances, provided they lead a virtuous life and have unwavering faith. This perspective finds support in both biblical teachings and classic literature.

First and foremost, the Bible offers numerous examples of individuals from diverse backgrounds who found salvation through their faith and virtuous lives. One of the most iconic figures is Job, whose unwavering faith in God remained unshaken even in the face of immense suffering and adversity. Despite losing his wealth, health, and family, Job's devotion to God led to his eventual restoration and salvation, illustrating that faith and righteousness can lead to salvation, regardless of external circumstances.

Additionally, the story of the repentant thief crucified alongside Jesus provides a compelling example. While enduring the same punishment as the unrepentant criminal, the thief's sincere repentance and faith in Jesus earned him a place in paradise, demonstrating that salvation is not limited by one's surroundings or past actions.

Classic literature also offers valuable insights into this notion. In Victor Hugo's "Les Misérables," the character Jean Valjean undergoes a profound transformation from a hardened criminal to a virtuous man. His redemption and salvation are achieved through acts of kindness, selflessness, and a commitment to a righteous life. Valjean's journey highlights that salvation is attainable for anyone who strives to live honorably, regardless of their past or social environment.

In conclusion, Venerable Symeon the New Theologian's assertion that salvation is accessible to individuals in various life circumstances, provided they lead a virtuous life and maintain unwavering faith, resonates with both biblical teachings and classic literature. Examples from the Bible, such as Job and the repentant thief, as well as literary characters like Jean Valjean, illustrate the universality of this concept. Ultimately, it reinforces the idea that salvation is attainable for those who genuinely seek it, irrespective of their external surroundings or past mistakes.

Para Julia

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 240 (Venerable Symeon the New Theologian)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024