не предусмотрено.

Четверг, 02.05.2024, 00:16
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 239 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 239 (St Mark the Ascetic)
Quote 239
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 25.05.2022, 00:04 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Online
When the evil conduct of one person begins to affect others, you should not show long-suffering; and instead of your own advantage you should seek that of the others, so that they may be saved. For virtue involving many people is more valuable than virtue involving only one.

St Mark the Ascetic
Philokalia, Vol. 1

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 03.06.2022, 15:57 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Статус: Offline
I absolutely agree that long-suffering may not always be beneficial and correct. When we face evil, we as Christians should fight against it. The philosophy of so called “non-resistance to evil” is peculiar to Leo Tolstoy’s ideas but not to Orthodox Christians. We really must do everything to stop the evil from affecting others. It was St. Spyridon of Trimythous who has shown us a great example. During the First Great Council he refuted the Arian’s mistake as it could mislead many people and give the untrue perception of God. He even performed a miracle by turning a brick into water, fire and clay immediately.

However, the second part of the quote can be quite ambiguous. St. Seraphim of Sarov advised: “Acquire the Holy Spirit and thousands around you will be saved”. Monks and hesychasts decide to withdraw from the world. Their aim is to pray so that their souls may be healed and they may be with the Lord. And only monks who have taken vows of schema pray for others to be saved. That’s why I’m struggling with these words of St. Mark: “virtue involving many people is more valuable than virtue involving only one”.

All in all, I appreciate St. Mark’s experience and hope that we will be able to follow his words some day.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 27.06.2022, 19:14

antonryadinskiДата: Суббота, 04.06.2022, 12:17 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I can't fully agree with St Mark the Ascetic. I think we should show long-suffering in order to help other people. And only if there is no hope we can concede. Long-suffering is a virtue, Christ Himself suffered for all mankind. So, at least we should try to demonstrate this virtue. But I like the second part of the quote, we really needn't seek our own advantage. First of all, we should think about our brothers because we all are one body in Christ: "So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another" (Rom. 12:5).

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 15:16

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 15:29 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
It's hard to disagree with the quote. Each summer I spend two weeks in a children's summer camp and so this quote is quite applicable to my situation too. When a child is caught using inappropriate language or using HQDs, we have to exclude this child from the camp. It's no good when other children see such an example and can follow in this child's footsteps.

Of course, there might be some complicated family situations and one should deal with such a child with deep understanding and love. However, this child may commit a great sin of corrupting other children. If my responsibility is to care for the children in my group, I ought to do it at all costs. Even if it means excluding some children from the camp.

No matter how harsh it may sound, that's the way it is. And it also conveys the same principles as expressed in the quote.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 21:15

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 16:59 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
I fully agree with the statement.

Virtue drives each of us throughout our lives, it is cultivated in us from childhood by our parents, by the parish, by the spiritual father. To be considered a real Christian, you need to understand that caring for your neighbour is the way to save the soul. A person who lives only for himself can never be happy either on earth or in the Kingdom of Heaven, because love and care for another person is inherent in our nature.
Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered for each of us, took our sins upon himself, gave himself as a sacrifice. Thus, he set an example of selfless, pure love for his neighbour, and we Christians should follow his teachings.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Среда, 29.06.2022, 18:10

katyadorniakДата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 18:09 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
I agree with the idea of St Mark the Ascetic. We Christians should put God first, but still keep in mind our neighbor, whom we should love as ourselves. Resisting physical evil can be difficult for us, because any resistance can lead to violence.

Therefore, it is possible for us to fight for the interests of others, but for ourselves - to turn the cheek to the blow. However, a Christian should be fearless when it comes to helping others: remember our holy warriors Alexander Nevsky and Dmitry Donskoy. They fought for their country, not for themselves, that's why they are saints. We also have Saints Boris and Gleb, who accepted death humbly, as Christ accepted the crucifixion. We have to fight for our holiness, but by saving our neighbor we are saved ourselves.

By all means one can acquire holiness, for such is the grace of God.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 07:23

anastasiadregan864Дата: Среда, 08.06.2022, 00:01 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
Some people argue that you need to live for your own good, but this is deceptive. None of us can be fully happy without virtue, without helping our neighbour. This is what God teaches us when He gives His Son to suffer for our sins, to save each of us. We as Christians must follow this path, help everyone who is in need, because this is how we can show our love.

VIDEO

5 / 2

abalakinan27Дата: Воскресенье, 04.12.2022, 20:57 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
Practice is a very significant thing in our life. It's impossible to imagine our constant well-being without it. Whatever it is: studying, learning languages or spiritual work on yourself, everyday saying prayers, - all of these require application.

Let's look through the examples thoroughly. If you don't practise your speaking a foreign language for a long time, you are likely to loose your skills very soon regardless of your level  (unless you have perfect neural pathways or you're a genius).

According to Psalm 51: "For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise". The greatest joy to Our merciful God is our readiness to serve Him and praise Him. In spite of the fact that  we might have such desire for fervently praying not very often, anyway, we have to do it in order not to loose our belonging to Christian life completely. And prayer is an integral part of Christian life. Praying must be remembered and without taking it into consideration we run the risk of forgetting of about it. Moreover, a man without God can begin downward spiral. Praying is a habit and seeing our willingness to pray God will grant us true faith, ability to pray and not only heavenly but earthly blessings.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 01.05.2023, 15:53

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 239 (St Mark the Ascetic)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024