Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 237
Venerable Ephraim the Syrian

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 27.04.2024, 03:39
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 237 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 237 (Venerable Ephraim the Syrian)
Quote 237
readeralexeyДата: Вторник, 19.04.2022, 11:18 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Let us walk the straight path of sorrow, that we might become worthy and have God as our protector.

Venerable Ephraim the Syrian

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 04.05.2022, 16:46 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Nowadays people set their hearts on making their lives as comfortable as possible. But not everybody remembers the words told us by Jesus Christ: “…Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me” (Mark 8:34). That is, our Saviour wants us to bear the cross, to endure all the difficulties without complaining but with true gratitude.

All the main commandments that Christ gave us can be found in the Beatitudes. The Lord didn’t say that only righteous people will enter the Kingdom of Heaven but “the poor in spirit”, “they that mourn”, “the meek”, “they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake” (Matthew 5:1-12).

I suppose that it can easily be explained. From our own experience we know that our prayer is much more sincere when we have some troubles. Many people have become Christians due to a great sorrow. That’s because at these moments people realise that they can’t change the situation by their own and there’s nobody who can help them except God alone.

Quite often I hear the following expression. When a person falls ill, it means that God visits him or her because we can really feel the presence of the Lord in our lives during the hard times.

Therefore, I fully support Saint Ephraim’s appeal towards all the Christians - to follow the path of sorrow in order to be closer to God.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 27.06.2022, 19:09

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 10.05.2022, 20:49 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник
I couldn't agree more with venerable Ephraim the Syrian.

Generally, all human life is full of sorrows and each person can feel it at a certain moment of their life. It was like this all through the history of mankind and it is easy to fall into temptation and be depressed. However, there is hope.

Christ Himself was crucified and suffered most horrible death. However after that He rose from the dead and gave us all hope. So, when people suffer, they are closer to God. The more they suffer, the closer they are. Sorrow makes soul deeper and helps us feel other peoples' sufferings better.

God comes to those who suffer and protects them as He said in the Beatitudes: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted".

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 21:16

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 24.05.2022, 19:33 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Although I respect Venerable Ephraim the Syrian, I can't fully agree with this particular quote. I always remember the words of Paul the Apostle: "Rejoice evermore" (1 Thess. 5:16). Christ also told us: "Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven..."(Matt. 5:12). And as I understand these words, there should be no sorrow because we should fight against this bad feeling. So we need to follow the path of happiness rather than mourn all the life.

But everything can happen in this life. Sometimes we can't escape sorrows like Job couldn't escape his. In this case we should maintain our dignity before God and the second part of the quote is very good: "...we might become worthy and have God as our protector". I agree that only God can protect us and He is our hope.

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 17:43 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
For a Christian it might be salvific to walk the path of suffering. I suppose that apostle Matthew for a reason gave us these words of Jesus Christ in his Gospel: "Enter through the narrow gate because the wide gate and broad path is the way that leads to destruction—nearly everyone chooses that crowded road! The narrow gate and the difficult way leads to eternal life—so few even find it!". Welfare and wealth could spoil us, paralyse our soul. We might gather from it a thick skin and become insensitive to the pain of the others. That's why, for example, Saint Luke of Simferopol would share his love towards sufferings.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Вторник, 07.06.2022, 18:10

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 18:30 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
I absolutely agree with venerable Ephraim the Syrian.

Many can lead us astray and argue that we should not give up the ordinary delights of life. The true Christian, on the other hand, understands perfectly well why it is often necessary to depart from the mundane for the sake of knowing the Divine. God loves each of us, He gave us His Son for our salvation. That is why we must bear sorrow, for the sake of receiving the Kingdom of Heaven, bear our cross in the same way as Jesus carried it. We can never become worthy of God, but we must strive for perfection, and for this we should grieve, as He grieved for us.

katyadorniakДата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 19:44 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I agree with the opinion of Venerable Ephraim the Syrian, but with only one condition.

It is necessary to choose the straight paths of sorrow in order to be saved. However, you need to walk these paths with joy in your heart. Christ rose for us, conquered death and gave us eternal life.

Knowing this, any path of sorrow becomes a path of hope. Therefore, sorrow should be for the body and our vices, but not for the soul, which is waiting for salvation.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

anastasiadregan864Дата: Среда, 08.06.2022, 00:00 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
I cannot agree more with St. Ephraim the Syrian.
Life after the Fall could no longer be what it was in the Garden of Eden. Man was doomed to suffering, but these sufferings are saving for his soul. Enduring the trials of earthly life, we earn credits in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Jesus Christ suffered on the cross for the sake of humanity, suffering from sins. He gave us an example of sacrifice, patience and strength. In order to become worthy of Him and His suffering, we must bear our cross without complaining about its weight, not looking for an easier way, for it will lead us to a fall, and not to salvation.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 14:09

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 237 (Venerable Ephraim the Syrian)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024