Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 235
Saint Paisios of Mount Athos

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 27.04.2024, 04:01
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 235 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 235 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
Quote 235
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 02.04.2022, 00:43 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
You can learn much about a person’s spiritual state from what he reads.

Saint Paisios of Mount Athos

zhovtyak1441Дата: Суббота, 02.04.2022, 23:31 | Сообщение # 2
Лейтенант
I can agree with the statement of Saint Paisios of Mount Athos. But this topic concerns not only person's spiritual state. Every object in our life affects us. Books are not an exception. People read to discover something new.To understand something that was not understood before, or in order to find yourself in the text.

The ideological influence of a book can go through a person's entire life. For example, in Ray Bradbury's novel Fahrenheit 451 we see a world devoid of literary works. By destroying books humanity has destroyed its historical memory and its freedom. Has forgotten how to think and delve into the essence of things.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 04.05.2022, 17:21

abalakinan27Дата: Воскресенье, 03.04.2022, 12:37 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I can't agree more with Saint Paisios of Mount Athos. Usually reading fills up the soul of a person. Nothing passes by the soul even if we don't take it seriously. Everything influences it constructing or ruining. One can fancy reading novels and anecdotes while another prefer to read Holy Scripture and Holy Fathers. I won't judge or compare these two people. But the state of their minds, souls and their goals in life would be different.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 27.06.2022, 18:35

danil_naydenovДата: Понедельник, 04.04.2022, 22:46 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
That topic may be quite controversial, but I must acknowledge that there is truth in saint Paisios’s words. But we need to clarify some things. First of all, I don’t necessarily think that people should disregard a certain type or genre of literature, because it may be so-called “harmful” to their spiritual life. Let me give you a simple example. I write my dissertation on the play by Christopher Marlowe, “Doctor Faustus”, which at some point was considered spiritually dangerous to watch in the theater. And the same may be told about quite a few literary works we study at the university. In my opinion, all the books may be spiritually beneficial, because they give you an example of what you either should, or should not do. But it works on one condition – you must read them consciously. But here I must again clarify one thing. If a person is a great fan of some genre and only reads specific kind of books ignoring everything else, and, which is more, does it not consciously but passionately, you have to look at such people carefully, because it actually might be an indicator which shows their inner state of faith.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 00:29

tsumskaa30Дата: Вторник, 05.04.2022, 18:59 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I suppose that it’s hard to agree fully with Saint Paisios.

A person can read the Bible but be far away from the Church. Or, vice versa, an elderly woman may not read anything spiritual at all but be a committed Christian with true faith.

Moreover, there are two different things: to know about God and to know God personally. These two similar expressions are not exactly the same. To “know about” is only to understand the main doctrines of Christianity. However, if we speak about “knowing God”, we mean a state when a person managed to see the Lord in his own life like some hesychasts did. Of course, they got this ability to feel Christ in their lives after they made an effort praying and hoping only for the Lord’s mercy.

It may sound more natural to say that books that a person chooses mean what he or she is interested in. If one reads only some online postings from the Instagram concerning new trends in cloths, that could reveal an interest in fashion. Whereas the choice of the spiritual literature really signifies that a person wants to get some knowledge in the lives of the saints, their recommendations and the examples of piety.

To conclude, I believe that it’s better to observe people’s actions, behaviour with relatives to estimate the spiritual state rather that judge according to the books chosen to be read.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 27.06.2022, 19:04

zhuravleva369Дата: Четверг, 07.04.2022, 23:16 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
I fully agree with Saint Paisios. When I meet a new person in my life I try to know their favourite books along with the other necessary things. When we read or watch something, our brain takes some of this information to put it to the far corners of consciousness. Then these pieces of information influence us in our every day life although we do not even notice that. That is why scientists strongly recommend us to take care of what we watch and read.

As for us Christians, it is very important to read not only the books which can help us in this earthly life, but mainly those which can prepare us for the meeting with God. First of all, it is the Holy Bible. I think it is good if you can read it every day, at least a chapter or even an extract. Also there are many books about lifes of saints which can give us motivation to fast and do some small sacrifices in our everyday life. And there are also some books about psychology, teaching, theology, literature and the other areas written by Orthodox authors so that we could see something from the Orthodox point of view which is also quite useful. So, I do believe, that if the person reads good literature it will affect him in a good way sooner or later.

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 23:25 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
I can't help but agree with Saint Paisios. We are what we read. Everything we read fills us and comes through us. Reading not only opens the door to new worlds, but also saves us. Reading is the way of coping with problems, there we can rest for a while from the real world and come back to struggle with difficulties. But also reading teaches us what is good and what is bad, because books contain a great amount of vital experience.
Nowadays, of course, we come across a great amount of information every day, more and more of which is presented by just random posts on the Internet, which are kind of 'small talks' with your device. This is the scourge of our times as it steals our time and pollutes our minds. Yet, from my experience, among those who still read you can understand something about a person by his readings, as well as you can get some outline about even those who don't by their preferences in electronic resources. However, this is only one way of learning about others and it doesn't completely cover all the characteristics of a person.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 21:31

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:50 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
I believe that St Paisios' saying is quite true. Our spiritual state is a powerful thing that influences not only what we are reading, but our lifestyle on the whole. Our diet depends on it, our level of energy depends on it, as well as our sleeping schedule, activities that we'd rather choose and the willingness to live at all. As for the reading, I believe, I`ve seen certain tendencies. For example, people who go through the spiritual crisis tend to read more philosophical text over anything else. Those who found their meaning lean towards religious texts (at least among the people I know).
Speaking of fiction, it also can show what a person is going through. People pick different genres according to their mental needs. For instance, a few of my friends have become obsessed with dystopias recently due to the recent events, while a few other friends of mine find their comfort in fantasy.

dolysovacomДата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 19:35 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
I absolutely agree with this statement. After all, a person studies what he is interested in, he has the appropriate thoughts and lives by it. With reading books, a person develops a special vocabulary, a special way of thinking appears. Thanks to reading certain literature, a person has his soulmates and they have certain topics for conversation. Therefore, you can find out not only the spiritual state of a person, but also his thoughts, what he lives by, his interests just by looking at the literature he reads.

anastasiadregan864Дата: Понедельник, 25.04.2022, 18:36 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
I think that Saint Paisios' idea is truly interesting and profound, but I can't completely agree with it. Many people (including atheists) may read the Bible out of interest or respect for the holy texts. For instance, my friend, who is not a religious person and doesn’t attend church, read part of the New Testament because she was just interested in it. She said that she didn’t understand some points, but it was a valuable experience for her, and she learned a lot from reading. The opposite example is my grandmother. She does not read spiritual books simply because it is difficult for her to do so. However, she always listens to the Gospel reading in church and delves into the meaning of every word. I think it doesn't matter what books a person reads, the main thing is the attitude to other people and deeds that he does.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Воскресенье, 26.06.2022, 17:41

antonryadinskiДата: Суббота, 04.06.2022, 12:32 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
I can't fully agree with the qoute. Of course, literature shapes our consciousness, but there are many other factors that influence a person. Therefore, you cannot rely on what a person reads, you also need to find out what he watches, listens to, and in general, what hobbies he has.

Also speaking of literature, one cannot refuse to read any particular literature. It reminds me of the protests against such books as: Harry Potter or the Chronicles of Narnia. People really think that these books can harm children's minds, but the reality is not such. The more diverse literature you read, the more interesting you become. And the more you get into interesting things, the more interesting you become.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 15:12

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 15:54 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
"You are what you eat". The same quote can be changed to speak about books. If one is interested in reading Patristic Heritage and spiritual books, it's definitely a person interested in the  theological questions and the salvation of the soul. One the other hand, if one is interested in the trivial modern literature, it's clear that the person is not deep and thoughtful.

However, there's another viewpoint. Some people just don't have the opportunity to read books due to their life situations. It's impossible to judge their spiritual state then. They may be deep people with the deep understanding of spirituality, but deprived of the greatest enjoyments in life: reading.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 21:13

katyadorniakДата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 17:54 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
Reading is one of the most enjoyable and fascinating things available to a person. Literature is beautiful. They say, tell me who your friend is, and I'll tell you who you are. But books are the most loyal friends of a person, which means that you can judge a person by them.

The most important identifier of the human soul is its spiritual state. Books can affect a person's soul, and therefore it is quite possible to judge the soul by them. It is difficult to imagine a Christian reading empty literature, awakening passions. On the other hand, a person who is still far from the Church, but who enthusiastically reads the works of religious philosophers or religious writers, may well reach the acceptance of God into his heart.

Therefore, I agree with the opinion of Saint Paisios of Mount Athos.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Вторник, 07.06.2022, 17:55

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 18:47 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
I fully agree with this statement.

We form our worldview not only on the basis of upbringing, circle of friends or studies, but also on the literature we choose to read. Literature opens up a new world for us, both artistic and academic. Through reading we can learn more about philosophy, psychology, other languages, and theology. What we cognize, what we are fond of is the food we feed our soul with. By reading beneficial literature, we can transform our soul, this fact has great importance, actually. After all, we refine this world with our soul.

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 235 (Saint Paisios of Mount Athos)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024