Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 233
St. Isaac the Syrian

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 20.04.2024, 15:24
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 233 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 233 (St. Isaac the Syrian)
Quote 233
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 16.03.2022, 11:40 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
He who restrains his mouth from speech guards his heart from passions.

Venerable Isaac the Syrian, bishop of Nineveh

salomiagudovaДата: Воскресенье, 20.03.2022, 17:33 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
On the whole I agree with Venerable Isaac the Syrian that restraining your mouth from speech guards your heart from passions. Let us imagine that someone has hurt your feelings. For example, they’ve said something bad about you. If you succumb to your hurt and start saying everything you’re feeling and thinking at that moment, the situation will quickly get out of your control. The situation will escalate and both of you will only hurt each other more. But if you don’t spill out your thoughts, it will be easier for you to come down and resolve the situation peacefully.

That being said, just restraining your mouth from speech obviously will not save your heart from passions completely. After all, our passions begin in our heart. But being mindful of what we say is a great way to make our struggle against evil easier.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Среда, 04.05.2022, 20:01

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 23.03.2022, 14:54 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I suppose that many hesychasts, hermits and monks held the same opinion as Holy Venerable Isaac the Syrian had.

Of course, nowadays this idea may sound archaic but in fact, this thought really makes sense. Having realised our mistakes in spiritual life, we can surely say that we commit sins mainly due to our inabstinence.

When we communicate with somebody, it’s much harder to lead the pious life. People can easily turn to various kinds of passion. For example, while discussing some current issues we can go into condemnation. When we share some stories of other’s lives, we may, without our willing, become envious. Moreover, everyone is aware that people are so selfish and can easily be offended when the interlocutor’s words mortify their pride. Hence come quarrels, resentment and other negative emotions.

Surprisingly, but people usually just cannot stop themselves when it is necessary. Even Orthodox Christians, though they understand that they do wrong things, continue doing them. As Saint Paul put it: «For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do» (Rom., 7:19).

That’s why many monks decided to lead the solitary life not meeting anyone and concentrating on prayer.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 27.06.2022, 19:00

valpet251Дата: Четверг, 31.03.2022, 20:02 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
I can agree with Venerable Isaac the Syrian, bishop of Nineveh. Our speech is the window of the soul. Our words reflect our state of mind. Holy Fathers have always called for silence. Ephrem the Syrian said: 'If you love silence, you will be loved by many'. Ambrose of Optina said: 'It is better to anticipate and be silent than to speak and then repent.' Very often we say something, sometimes without thinking, and after that we are very sorry for our words, we apologize. It is very easy to offend a person with words. Very often you can say something offensive during a quarrel, in a rage and then we regret our words. Silence helps to find calmness, which means peace in the soul.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 11:53

danil_naydenovДата: Понедельник, 04.04.2022, 22:43 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
On the one hand, you don't have to guard your mouth from speech when your heart is not willing to produce it. But on the other hand, we all are just humans, and speech in general makes a great difference in our lives. When you tell things you believe in, you convince yourself that they are true. But even if you don't fully believe what you say, it still works the same way. Your mind thinks "well, if these words come out of my mouth, they must be true. It must be exactly what I actually believe in". And in this case it may become really hazardous for our faith. If you retranslate everything you've heard, be it good or bad, it shows that you can't truly tell them apart. And it leads to spreading of false belief and overall confusion among people. Take gossip, it's a very secular example, but metaphorically it shows pretty well the harmful effect one's speech can produce. You have to really think about what you say to prevent bad ideas and concepts from infiltrating your mind and soul. Rather, you should think about things thoroughly and prudently, and always ask yourself, whether these thoughts strengthen your faith or lead you away from God.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Вторник, 05.04.2022, 01:17

zhovtyak1441Дата: Вторник, 05.04.2022, 21:59 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
I can agree with Venerable Isaac the Syrian, bishop of Nineve. Silence is a great power. The tendency to disputes and conflicts comes from the following vices: from idle talks, from verbosity, from hypocrisy. "But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word."(Isaiah 66:2). Talking is dangerous: at what time, what to say and for what? The speaker must remember all this, but the silent one has done and fulfilled everything.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 04.05.2022, 14:18

zhuravleva369Дата: Четверг, 07.04.2022, 23:12 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
I do agree with Venerable Isaac the Syrian. Most of our sins come from the things we say. The quote also made me think about the words from the Gospel: "... out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things" [Mt. 12:34-35]. As it is seen from these lines, the problem lies deeper than just pronounscing bad things. If we pronounsce them, they are already in our heart. But if they are already in our heart, how can we "guard our heart from passions"? I think, that by "restraining our mouth from speech" we can show God that we do not like these things and we want to get rid of them. It is like a silent request to God to help us cope with these passions. Seeing our small efforts, He won't leave us to fight the passions alone, but will always help us.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 04.05.2022, 14:33

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 22:55 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант
I don't fully agree with this statement. According to it, if we stop talking we can protect ourselves from temptations. To my mind, to protect yourself from passions you need to have a full complex of actions and not only yours. From other people we get to know how to live this life, what is good and what is not, we learn about our faith from others firstly. Then on our own we control our deeds, thoughts and words.
Yes, sometimes there are situations when one would better keep his or her mouth shut, because it can be our sins which whisper to us to start a quarrel or say something inappropriate. But also there are moments when you must speak, but this will is suppressed by fear or corrupted nature. Thus, I'd say there are times when you have to stay silent and there are times when you have to speak.

AUDIO

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 15:49

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:45 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
I see eye to eye with Venerable Isaac the Syrian and the following lines from Second Epistle of Peter prove his opinion: «For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error». (Second Peter 2:18)
Vain talk threatens not only them who commit it but also may lead people around them to temptation. There are so many examples of people whose carelessly said words caused troubles and sometimes disasters. But that`s not the only reason why one should be careful with what he`s saying. Vain talks are like an uncontrollable flow, one may not even mention how his careless empty speech turns into a lie or even blasphemy that tempts not only the speaker but also his listeners and as Jesus Christ said: «But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea». (Matthew 18:6)
So I believe that`s the reason why Venerable Isaac the Syrian warns us to be careful with our words saying: «He who restrains his mouth from speech guards his heart from passions».

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 20:01

dolysovacomДата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 19:55 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
I absolutely agree with the bishop's words. Most evil deeds come from the mind. We as people are too weak to keep our thoughts silent. Then we give free rein to feelings and the easiest thing is to offend your neighbor. These words are especially relevant now, in the time of Great Lent. Now Orthodox people fast according to their strengths: some abstain from frequent meals, others reject reading news or watching TV. But the most important thing to do during this Lent is to transform oneself and become better. It’s time to start with your soul, that means to be silent more than to speak, because as the bishop said «who restrains his mouth from speech guards his heart from passions».

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 04.05.2022, 14:58

tukova0306Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:52 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
Passions and sins surround us everywhere. A person is in a constant continuous struggle with them. He may occasionally lose, but repent and continue the fight. Restraint is our helper, which does not allow us to do something that we will definitely regret later. Restraint allows us to understand and make an informed decision, rather than acting emotionally. After all, by our emotional actions we can lead people close to us into temptation. And our sin will spread like an infection.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Понедельник, 02.05.2022, 19:36

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 26.04.2022, 14:52 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
I agree with Venerable Isaac the Syrian's statement. However, bodily silence is not always sinless. If, with external silence, a person sins in his thoughts, then his silence is in vain. A person can be silent, but in his heart be angry and condemn others. Therefore, silence is important in the heart. Prudent silence is the beginning of the purification of the soul, the condition of salvation, the protection of prayer, as well as help in the fight against passions. “Anyone who doesn’t stumble in word is a perfect person, able to bridle the whole body also.” (James 3:2).

antonryadinskiДата: Суббота, 04.06.2022, 13:03 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
On the one hand, I agree with this quote, but on the other hand, I think, it depends on what kind of person this is. It is also written in the Scriptures: "Good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of" (Luke 6:45). 
On the one hand, I agree with this quote, but on the other hand, I think it depends on what kind of person he is. Speech itself is not evil, it cannot harm anyone in any way until we know the intention of the speaker. It all depends on whether the person is good or evil. Only in this case, words can do harm to someone.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 15:10

posternaksophieДата: Понедельник, 06.06.2022, 12:56 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
I most definitely agree with the quote. Most of peoples' sins derive from the inability to restrict oneself from saying something which shouldn't have been said. Very often I regret having said some things and wish that I had held my tongue. All in all, if people remained silent more, the world would have been a better place to live in.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 21:11

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 17:27 | Сообщение # 15
Полковник
It's better to pray or to do good than to speak continually. Furthermore, the evil one cannot read your thoughts but he easily can hear your words and act against your soul through it.

Word is silver but silence is gold. It's said not in vain. Restraining your mouth from speech can guard you from idle talk.

There's also a temptation to tell more than you should and at times it might be difficult to feel the appropriateness of it. Of course it's particularly impossible to imagine the life of laymen without speech. But it is better to abstain from blurting out at least silly or offensive things.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 27.06.2022, 18:25

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 233 (St. Isaac the Syrian)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024