Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 232
St. Paphnutius

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Вторник, 23.04.2024, 15:53
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 232 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 232 (St. Paphnutius)
Quote 232
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 05.03.2022, 12:13 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Online
Without goodness, knowledge is not good.

St. Paphnutius

posternaksophieДата: Суббота, 12.03.2022, 11:16 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
Статус: Offline
It is a true saying and it's hard to disagree with St. Paphnutius.

Knowledge itself is simply a tool with the help of which people are able to do good or bad deeds. People have a free will to choose, which information they want to possess: good knowledge or bad knowledge.

An illustrative example is the choice of Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Adam and Eve had only good knowledge as they only knew God, so without God and goodness knowledge can only be evil and do evil.
All in all, "bad" knowledge can be applied to "bad deeds" and serve evil. It's worth remembering this week particularly.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 21:10

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 18.03.2022, 12:53 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I hold the opinion that goodness is much higher than knowledge. If we don’t know something, the Lord won’t judge us for that. But if we know the word of God and don’t act according to it, we will be rightly judged.

The fact that we have knowledge doesn’t mean that we will use it in the right way. People can know about God and at the same time they may not know God Himself, they don’t feel the Lord, don’t have true love.

For example, an elderly woman may have heard nothing of theological discussions, may not understand all the words during the Liturgy but she really believes in God and her deeds testify that she is a committed Christian. I suppose that God may save her rather than some young theologians at the beginning of 20th century who knew all Christians doctrines but chose to fight against Christ and became communists.

Therefore, I completely agree with St. Paphnutius. We should be careful studying the doctrines so that not to put them in the first place where our soul and deeds must be.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 27.06.2022, 18:58

salomiagudovaДата: Воскресенье, 20.03.2022, 17:16 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
I can say that on the whole I agree with Saint Paphnutius’s idea that without goodness, knowledge is not good, but I would like to add something. We all know the saying that knowledge is power. The more you know, the more opportunities you have. Knowledge helps you to get an advantage over other people. And yes, knowledge is certainly power but not in itself. I feel like knowledge in itself does not have any characteristics. It only has power when a person decides to use it for power. So for me knowledge is neither bad nor good. But if a person is good then in their case knowledge becomes good as well and is used for good deeds.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Среда, 04.05.2022, 20:00

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 22.03.2022, 18:10 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I go along with the thought of St. Paphnutius. We know a lot of examples when really gifted people went on a downward spiral because of not having virtue and conversion to God. A surgeon might have in-depth knowledge of operating but does it make sense if he participates in aborting children? God is the embodiment of love and kindness. Therefore He helps the faithful to distinguish good from evil. Only from Him we receive our mind which initially isn't ours. And when we leave and forget Our Father the evil one captures our souls and consciousness.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 27.06.2022, 18:24

valpet251Дата: Пятница, 01.04.2022, 19:19 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
I can fully agree with St. Paphnutius. We are used to the fact that any knowledge is always goodness. Therefore, we always try to acquire it. But Saint Paphnutius reminds us that knowledge does not always necessarily brings good. Any knowledge can be applied for both good and evil. For example, a chemist can invent a medicine that will save a life, or he can, using his knowledge, make a drug. Thus, only that which bears good fruit is goodness. Any work should be accompanied by prayer and be in the name of the Lord.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 11:51

danil_naydenovДата: Понедельник, 04.04.2022, 22:42 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
This quote echoes a very important topic, which is tightly intertwined with my dissertation. My work is all about a character who possessed great knowledge, but without goodness turned it to evil. Of course, I am talking about Doctor Faustus, for he is such a great illustration for the words of saint Paphnutius. In the tragedy written by Christopher Marlowe we see a successful scientist, a medic, and, which is important, a doctor of theology. But this very lack of goodness in Faustus let all his knowledge and effort go in vain. He knew the subjects of all the major sciences, but perceived not what was the final goal of them. Faustus had no God in his heart, nor did he acknowledge his immortal soul as the essential part of his self. And not only did it lead to the damnation of his soul, but he also himself became a preacher of destruction and death, spreading his unholy magic and corrupting the weak souls of the people around him, for he became an instrument of Satan.

Indeed, we can see that knowledge is at times more harmful than helpful if put in use with malicious or ungodly intent. People discover, describe and utilize laws of nature to create mass destruction weapons, instead of having as the final goal of their research a better vision of this world made for men by God.

Mistakes are corrected

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 00:29

zhovtyak1441Дата: Вторник, 05.04.2022, 22:16 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант
I can agree with St. Paphnutius and his statement but I want to add something. Goodness and knowledge are great but they are nothing without deeds. Marcus Eremita said that "Even though knowledge is true, it is still not firmly established if unaccompanied by works. For everything is established by being put into practice". Also Ephrem the Syrian said «For He will judge the whole world and will reward everyone according to his deeds».

Сообщение отредактировал zhovtyak1441 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 23:28

zhuravleva369Дата: Четверг, 07.04.2022, 23:11 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
To my mind, St. Paphnutius is right. If we only have bare knowledge but our hearts are not merciful and we do not use the knowledge to help people around us, "knowledge is not good". We read the Holy Bible and read saints' lives. We see there many good examples how to behave and what to do. But the hardest part is to put it into practice. It reminded me of "The parable of the Sower". We are like "he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful" [Mt. 13:22]. So, we should always develop goodness in our hearts so that we can put the knowledge from the Bible into practice.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 19:50

lopatinavarvaraДата: Пятница, 08.04.2022, 17:50 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
I can say that I agree with the idea of Saint Paphnutius that without good knowledge is not good. The more knowledge a person has, the more opportunities he has, that is, knowledge helps us gain an advantage over other people. But if a person lacks the quality of kindness, knowledge can turn into something negative. Knowledge can bring great harm, not benefit, if it is used maliciously. For example, the knowledge of scientists can be aimed at creating a medicine, or they can be aimed at creating a murderous weapon. So, we should always remember kindness when using any knowledge in practice.

Сообщение отредактировал lopatinavarvara - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 00:54

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 22:43 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
We live in a fast developing world in which technologies are rapidly replacing each other. In my humble opinion each thing should be done properly, with good intentions. There are enough examples in history when a scientist hoped to solve the problems of humanity, and in the end his works were used with evil intentions. For instance, Andrei Sakharov who had a hand in the creation of the hydrogen bomb, bitterly regretted his discovery. I’d like to remember the saying: “The road to hell is paved with good intentions, the road to heaven is paved with good deeds”. I suppose that goodness and kind aspiration sometimes aren’t enough, but still we need them. Without them pure knowledge can be terrifying leading us to the side of those events when people were tortured and the spirit itself was devastated. I know some hideous facts, for instance, from the WWII or about the psychiatry of previous centuries and these are truly cases where knowledge was present without any goodness.

AUDIO

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 21:34

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:42 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
I find this quote of St. Paphnutius really true. First of all, any knowledge without action is useless. Knowledge is a vehicle that doesn`t work without some application. Actually, as it seems to me, any true knowledge is confirmed by some kind of application.
If we draw a parallel (a notional one) between knowledge and faith we`ll see it more obviously that true knowledge (or faith) produces some kind of action by itself. For example, speaking about faith we can say that «products» of it are good deeds, spiritual life and desire for closeness to God. Speaking about scientific knowledge, we can say that its «products» are progress and development. So the same as faith that doesn`t produce any good deeds or intentions knowledge that doesn`t produce any good fruits is vain. In my opinion that`s the thing that St. Paphnutius
 wanted to say.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 19:58

dolysovacomДата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:04 | Сообщение # 13
Лейтенант
All people study somehow throughout their lives. All the time we encounter different situations and we act according to the knowledge we have. Just imagine how knowledge influences us. I agree with this statement and believe that knowledge with bad intent is as the weapons in bad hands can do terrible things.
Knowledge can bring both good and evil. Thanks to knowledge, people have invented nuclear weapons. Instead, they could provide all the houses with electricity or light. Also, thanks to knowledge, people have learned how to make medicines for many diseases and save people's lives. Therefore, knowledge cannot be useful without good intentions.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Среда, 04.05.2022, 21:21

tukova0306Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:55 | Сообщение # 14
Лейтенант
I completely agree with this statement. "Good" is one of the names of God. I believe that there is no good without God. This is an unconscious property of the image of God given to each of us at birth. And our main task is to cultivate this seed of goodness in ourselves. And I fully agree that good works are essential for success in the spiritual life. God is truly good, therefore, one who does not have communion with Him cannot become truly good.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 20:01

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 26.04.2022, 15:50 | Сообщение # 15
Подполковник
I completely agree with this statement. There are many examples of brilliant and outstanding personalities who did terrible things, started wars, used their knowledge and skills against people, and the fruits of their inventions brought pain, horror and death. Therefore, knowledge is not always a virtue. If a person understands that his knowledge was given to him by God, then he will use it correctly: “Better is the God-fearing man who lacks intelligence, than the highly prudent man who transgresses the law.” (Sir. 19:24). It is important how a person implements his knowledge, because it is necessary that they bring good, enlightenment, so that they are aimed at helping and improving people's lives and used in the name of the Lord.

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 232 (St. Paphnutius)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024