Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 227
St. Antony the Great

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 27.04.2024, 02:53
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 227 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 227 (St. Antony the Great)
Quote 227
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 28.01.2022, 02:21 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Don't insist on your own righteousness.

St. Antony the Great

tsumskaa30Дата: Понедельник, 31.01.2022, 20:46 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Every Christian would like to be closer to God. This is a great desire. But when we want to become better than someone else, we may come to self-delusion, or prelest’. We may turn into the Pharisee who was proud of his righteous deeds and despised the publican who was repentant for his sins.

Even if we are righteous, we’d better not boast because as soon as we become proud of something we have done, our great action turns into a sin. We demonstrate arrogance which is one of the main passions.

Moreover, our Lord Jesus Christ told us: “But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth. That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly” (Matthew 6:3-4).

That’s why I believe that all Christians should pay attention to St. Antony’s words and act according to them.

zhuravleva369Дата: Пятница, 11.03.2022, 18:05 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант
To my mind, St. Anthony the Great is right. The basis of Christian behavior is the ability to see your mistakes and correct them. After we confessed our sins, God waits for us to change our behavior. The changes may be very small, but He will support us at every step.

On the other hand, if we think that we are righteous, we are already mistaken. «Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble» (Job 14:1). No one is sinless except God. He will not help us until we stop «insisting on our own righteousness».

posternaksophieДата: Суббота, 12.03.2022, 11:32 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
This quote is particularly relevant in the realia of the Great Lent and our lives.

Firstly, the Great Lent is the time of numerous temptations and it's often hard to overcome them. However, when one humbly agrees that they aren't righteous and can make mistakes, it's easier to confess one's sins and conquer the temptations.

Secondly, we live in the time of the information war where everyone insists on their righteousness. It's vital to understand that we don't know anything and simply cannot insist that we are right and know what to do.

Thirdly, the world isn't "black and white". Without denying the Absolute Objectiveness, which is God Himself, it's possible to accept that what is strange for us might be completely normal for other people.
All in all, it's important to remember that only God is righteous and we don't have the right to judge anyone.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 21:05

valpet251Дата: Пятница, 01.04.2022, 18:40 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
I agree with St. Antony the Great. I believe that speaking about the harm of mentioning your own righteousness, St. Antony the Great reminds us of the words of the Apostle James: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” (James 4:6).
In addition, we know that many saints have said that the grace they have (righteousness) is not their merit, but the mercy of God.

katyadorniakДата: Суббота, 02.04.2022, 23:33 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
The statement of St. Anthony the Great is very interesting and deserves close consideration.
In fact, there are almost no things in the life of a Christian that we are obliged to insist on. Our religion does not imply emotional pressure, which is associated with "insisting on something." On the contrary, our religion is very careful about the free will of man. Our free will makes us related to our Creator, and therefore we are obliged to respect it in our fellow men.

Now about righteousness. Everyone has been acquiring it for many years. Naturally, we may be tempted to be proud if we have achieved something. However, pride and the desire to prove something ruin the results of our hard work.

Thus, the statement of St. Anthony the Great is more than fair and clear. Man's attempts to oppress one's fellow man by demonstrating his merits and demanding their recognition are the direct opposite of virtue. That is why we should not "insist on our righteousness".

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

danil_naydenovДата: Вторник, 05.04.2022, 01:14 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
Insisting on your own righteousness is indeed a slippery slope, because it has to do with the gravest sins of all – vainglory. Which is more, you don’t have to insist on your righteousness if you are truly righteous, because you don’t have to prove it to anyone, but to God, for only He sees everything and only He will judge you when the time comes. Insisting on your own holiness is basically the fastest way to show everyone that you are quite far from it. Empty vessels make the most sound, that’s a universal rule. Truly holy and righteous people prove it through constant prayer and their communion with God, which for most people sounds like complete silence, but gives its fruit in their deeds, and the deeds speak much louder than any words.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Вторник, 05.04.2022, 01:14

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 18:50 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант
I think St. Antony the Great is quite right in his expression. If you are a true Christian, you should aspire to be a righteous person, though it isn’t you who decides whether you are righteous. Righteousness is a state of the external and internal life of a person, it supposes that you reach it through following the Law of God. You should dedicate yourself to the service of God, when all the forces of the soul and body are directed to be a member of Christ's body. So you should put all your mental and physical forces to be a better version then you are every now and then, through your whole life on Earth.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 21:40

dolysovacomДата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:38 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
After reading this quote, I immediately remembered the parable of the tax collector and the Pharisee. “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.  I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9-14)
As we learn from the parable, those who come with repentance and hope for forgiveness are closer to the Lord. After all, in fact, everyone is sinful and none of the people can insist on their righteousness, because this is impossible. Let's look at the saints. None of them insisted on their righteousness, but only talked about their sinfulness and asked to pray for them.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 04.05.2022, 11:31

tukova0306Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:50 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
As far as I understand this statement, there is divine and human righteousness. Human righteousness is truth. Divine righteousness is eternal verity. He who is righteous is blessed by God's righteousness. The source of his righteousness is God himself. His trust is centered on Christ. He lives with God. Unhappy is he who is satisfied with his own human righteousness and he does not need Christ. Indeed, a person should not insist on his own righteousness, as this is not good for his soul and can lead into temptation.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Понедельник, 02.05.2022, 19:35

antonryadinskiДата: Пятница, 03.06.2022, 15:56 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
I can agree with St. Antony the Great and his idea. I can also add that we also shouldn't show our righteousness to anyone else: "But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly" (Matt. 6:3-4). Only God is righteous and we can't reach his level of righteousness. Only God knows the truth, so we can't consider ourselves the best out of the best. We could simply be under a delusion. The God also said: "But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first" (Matt 19:30).

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 15:01

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 15:06 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
I fully agree with the quote of St. Anthony the Great.
It is unlikely that a truly righteous person would call himself righteous. We have seen examples of saints who considered themselves great sinners in spite of all their virtues. They did not put themselves above other people, although I am sure that they had much more sins than the righteous.

Humility is one of the main virtues, and most of the sins come from pride. It is important to understand that if you exalt yourself above others and consider yourself more righteous than anyone else, the Lord will not accept such righteousness, even if you have many virtues.

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 17:26 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
I go along with St. Antony the Great. Acknowledging and telling everybody about your righteousness can be detrimentaltothe soul. We can learn from the example of saints who have never been telling about their Christian way of life, moreover, they would consider themselves permanently the most sinful in the world. Christ Himself showed us the way of right behaving: He escaped glory, He didn't want to be  known and forbade people to spread His name after having worked miracles.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 27.06.2022, 18:13

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 21:47 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
I absolutely agree with the statement of St. Antony the Great. To my mind, talking about your righteousness is vanity and pride, which means sin. A truly righteous person will never say such a thing, because he does not need to prove anything to anyone, because he is close to God, and God sees his actions and will judge by his deeds. He will do good deeds for the glory of the Lord, and not for the sake of someone's opinion.

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 227 (St. Antony the Great)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024