Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 226
St. Ephrem the Syrian

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 20.04.2024, 14:33
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 226 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 226 (St. Ephrem the Syrian)
Quote 226
readeralexeyДата: Понедельник, 17.01.2022, 23:28 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Our Lord visibly carried Peter on the sea to teach us that He was also invisibly carrying him on dry land.

St. Ephrem the Syrian

tsumskaa30Дата: Понедельник, 24.01.2022, 19:13 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
I really like this St. Ephrem’s quote. Truly, sometimes people are amazed because they realize that they get help supernaturally, that some things are just beyond human strength. Of course, those who have faith come to the logical conclusion that it is God Who is gracious to them.

The metaphor expressed by St. Ephrem the Syrian formulates this magical process. After reading it I also remembered the song by Svetlana Kopylova called “I carried you in My Hands”. The song tells a story about a man who analyses the course of his life. He agrees that usually he saw his own footprints and near them the Footprints of God. However, sometimes he was in despair because the Footprints disappeared. In anger he asked the Lord: “I was exhausted, and I didn’t feel you next to me. How could You leave me?”. God answered: “I carried you in My Hands during those difficult periods of your life”.

I believe that these words are not just a metaphor, a figure of speech. They are our reality. I suppose that every Christian experienced them at least once.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 24.01.2022, 20:27

abalakinan27Дата: Понедельник, 24.01.2022, 19:58 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I go along with the thought of St. Ephrem the Syrian. The first thing that came to my mind is the sign of God's support. It was done not only for Peter's sake but for every wayward man too. Mankind is invisibly upheld by God's hand. Even when we are intimidated, stressed and don't pay much attention to His Power - He is still with us.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Четверг, 03.03.2022, 11:02

zhuravleva369Дата: Пятница, 11.03.2022, 18:22 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
St. Ephrem the Syrian gives us a good thought. God always invisibly supports us although sometimes it seems to us that He does not do this. Comparing us to Peter, we should also remember his doubts. When he doubted that he could walk on water he really began to sink. When we doubt God’s presence in our life and His help it leads us to falling down. Nevertheless, even then the merciful God remains with us. He always supports us and tries to save us: «Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live...» (Ezek. 33:11).

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 19:46

posternaksophieДата: Суббота, 12.03.2022, 11:25 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
I love this quote as it shows the matter from a new angle.

I always loved this episode from the Gospel where it is told about Peter being saved by God. But I always considered it literally, that God saved Peter from the waves. However, when I come to think of it, it definitely makes sense that the episode has a hidden meaning too. If God by saving Peter from the waves also showed that he would save Peter on the land too, it can be applicable not only to Peter's salvations, but also to our lives.

In the Gospel it is shown by bright and remarkable examples how God acts in the world and in our lives. The example of Peter's salvation is a sort of a metaphor, which is nevertheless a true example, and it gives us hope.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 21:03

valpet251Дата: Вторник, 29.03.2022, 23:01 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
Saint Ephraim the Syrian refers to the famous and very vivid episode of God's earthly life described by the Apostle Matthew in chapter 14 of the Gospel: at night, when the apostles were melting [??] on a boat on to the other side of the lake, they saw Christ walking on the water. Peter, rejoicing at Him, asked Him for His blessing to get out of the boat and go to Him. Having received permission, Peter went on the water, but was afraid of the raging storm and began to sink. Christ, giving him his hand, saved him, saying: “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”" (Matthew 14:31). Seeing that the Lord can guide a person through the sea, through waves and squally wind, it becomes clear that our whole life, like the life of the Apostle Peter, is filled with the Lord’s love, His altime constant care for us and divine grace. And we are required not to doubt, but to believe.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 04.05.2022, 11:49

katyadorniakДата: Суббота, 02.04.2022, 21:59 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I really appreciate the saying of St. Ephraim the Syrian. I think I understand what he's talking about.

Peter's rescue from the raging waters is one of the most striking and revealing miracles of our Lord Jesus Christ. It can be interpreted as a sign of divine mercy and condescension. As we read in the Scripture, Peter asked Christ to let him come to meet the Messiah. It is difficult to imagine a more touching manifestation of love, faith and trust. However, at some point even Peter begins to doubt and drown. And then the merciful Christ gives him a hand and saves him.

We, like Peter, can doubt and be afraid of the storm happening around us. Of course, we are talking about the storm of everyday life, because we will always be in the center of a tempest of passions, sorrows and doubts. But Christ will never take offense at us for our weakness. He will be here to lend us a hand and lead us to a solid ground.

It seems to me that Ephraim the Syrian was talking about exactly this: just as Christ visibly saved Peter's life, he will also invisibly save the soul of every drowning faithful.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 07:25

danil_naydenovДата: Вторник, 05.04.2022, 01:15 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант
The New Testament consists of quite a few examples of such kind. The Son of God came to our world to teach us what to do, how to believe; to fulfill His Testament with people. And what are the best ways to explain something to people who may not believe you? Present a metaphor or real evidence. And we see plenty of both in the Synoptic Gospels. Parables told by Christ serve as metaphors of what is to come, while evidence is presented to the apostles and all people of Judea in the form of miracles to show them what has come already. The mentioned episode is both evidence and a metaphor, which is why it has such a great impact on the reader of the Gospel. And St. Ephrem the Syrian underscores this very meaning of the miracle performed by Christ, for not only He literally saves Peter from drowning, Christ also shows him that He will always be there, carrying Peter even on dry land should he be strong in his faith.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Четверг, 05.05.2022, 00:32

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 18:42 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
The quotation of  St. Ephrem the Syrian gives us food for thought. It seems that this metaphorical expression hints that God is always with us, wherever we are. In this episode when Christ walks on the water Peter carelessly asks to let him first come to Christ by water. His outburst of heart could be regarded as a sincere desire of a true Christian. However, he was in an agony of doubt,  that’s why Peter started to sink. His hesitation shook his belief, but even in such a situation Christ didn’t leave Peter without help. I think there is a kind of a parallel here that even if we doubt and seem to lose the faith, God won’t leave us alone. He is always with humanity, awaiting us to come back.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 21:40

dolysovacomДата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 23:18 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
Ephrem the Syrian remembers this episode from the Gospel for us to think that our God protects us from the storm of everyday life and also extends the hand of salvation in difficult periods of life. In that chapter it is said that Peter doubted the power of Jesus because the winds blew. But the Lord saved him despite his lack of faith. So He showed that He is ready to help even those who doubt God.
I remember the parable which demonstrates that God never leaves us. The Lord showed man his entire life path, in the form of footprints on the sandy seashore. And the Lord said, "Do you see two pairs of footprints in the sand? I've never left you, I've always been there for you". The man replied: - "You see, where the most difficult moments of my life are, there is only one pair of footprints. So you were leaving me at that time?" - "In these moments of your life, I carried you in my arms".
So the Lord always invisibly protects us and He is always ready to save a drowning soul if it asks for help.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 23:20

antonryadinskiДата: Пятница, 03.06.2022, 15:25 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
I really like this metaphorical quote by St. Ephrem the Syrian. It is a great example how God is invisibly present in every aspect of life. And I think, the main meaning of this quote is to have no doubts that the Lord will always help you: "And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" (Matt. 14:31). We shouldn't be afraid like Peter was. But we should have strong faith in order not to hesitate. God is omnipotent and you can always rely on Him whether the situation is easy or difficult.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 15:00

vernik04Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 14:43 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
I was struck by the statement of St. Ephraim the Syrian. I never thought that the episode of the Gospel where Jesus Christ saves Peter at sea could be interpreted in this way. But indeed, even though God is invisible to people, He is always present. We may think that if we do not feel His support, then He is not with us now. However, it is irrational to think this way, because we become like Peter, who started to drown because of his doubts. As Christians, we must accept without question that God does not leave us and takes care of us. And even if we drown, He will always come to rescue us.

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 23:36 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
Saint Ephraim's quote gave me food for thought.
Indeed, God shows through the episode with Peter that nothing is impossible for Him. A person who trusts God can do truly incredible and wonderful things. He overcomes all obstacles because God is always with him.

It often seems that we achieve something ourselves, that no one helps us in this, but this is not so. God is always invisibly with us, whatever we do, wherever we are. He always carries us, gives us support. The main thing we must do is not doubt Him and put our lives completely into His hands.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Вторник, 28.06.2022, 14:10

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 226 (St. Ephrem the Syrian)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024