Форум »
Религиозная лексика »
Orthodox Quote of the Week »
»
Quote 224
St. John of Damascus

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Суббота, 27.04.2024, 23:55
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 224 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 224 (St. John of Damascus)
Quote 224
readeralexeyДата: Вторник, 07.12.2021, 22:12 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
The whole earth is a living icon of the face of God.

St. John of Damascus

mariabrkДата: Среда, 08.12.2021, 18:38 | Сообщение # 2
Сержант
The fact that the whole earth is a living icon of the face of God is very difficult to notice, as the whole earth has drowned in worldly entertainment and comfort. Well, a human is to blame for the change that occurred right after the original sin. The earth changed its appearance. And this is only the tiniest thing which was changed. However, we should always bear in mind that the entire earth is God's creation and everything that God creates is good and beautiful. You should just be more attentive and willing to see our earth as a living icon of the face of God.

Сообщение отредактировал mariabrk - Понедельник, 13.12.2021, 14:03

nastenatlt98Дата: Воскресенье, 12.12.2021, 17:57 | Сообщение # 3
Сержант
This statement is quite interesting and I can't even understand whether I agree with it or not. Initially the world was created by God without sin, the world was beautiful. Then Adam and Eve were expelled from paradise and life became much more difficult. Today, there is so much sin in the world that it is difficult to call it a "living icon of the face of God." Perhaps St. John of Damascus just means that world, nature, people without sin, I do not know. In any case, this statement is quite curious.

Сообщение отредактировал nastenatlt98 - Воскресенье, 12.12.2021, 18:04

etenthousandg1Дата: Среда, 12.01.2022, 14:40 | Сообщение # 4
Сержант
I think that this is an incredibly deep and profound quote with many ramifications. The Earth is populated with people. But wasn't Man created in God's image? This makes each and every one of us a kind of icon of God as well. This makes it incredibly clear why 'love thy neighbour' is one of the most important commandments, as the Saviour himself said. But even the Earth itself is God's creation and we have been placed onto it to take care of it. After all, Adam and Eve were the gardeners of Eden. I don't think that because this world has been corrupted we have become free of this duty. Despite the imperfection of the world, despite the fact that it's been defaced by Man over the centuries beyond recognition, we must still treat it with the same care and reverence with which we would treat an icon of God.

Зипунников С. (Потерял пароль от старого профиля)

valpet251Дата: Вторник, 29.03.2022, 22:59 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
We know that our earth, sun and moon, fish and animals, seas and mountains are all created by God, the Creator of everything "visible and invisible" (Col. 1:16-16). Observing how everything is wisely arranged, admiring the beauty of God's world, it is impossible not to remember the Creator and praise Him, singing together with King David:
‘Praise the Lord from the heavens; praise him in the heights above. Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his heavenly hosts. Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all you shining stars. Praise him, you highest heavens and you waters above the skies.’ (Psalm 148).
Thus, our land, according to the word of St. John, is truly a living icon of the face of God.

salomiagudovaДата: Пятница, 01.04.2022, 16:51 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
This is a very poetic and, in my opinion, somewhat ambiguous quote. So I don’t know whether I fully agree with it because I’m just not completely sure that I understand it. Well, perhaps if we are taking about nature, then I can see what Saint John of Damascus means. There’s a reason why nature inspires a feeling of awe in us. There’s a reason why many people worshipped nature. And the answer is because God created it. And I believe that people can feel it if they are willing to. High mountains, deep oceans, forests and plains, rivers, waterfalls and caves. They amaze and impress us. I get goosebumps whenever I watch BBC documentaries about nature and I can’t imagine how I would feel if I saw it all in real life. Awed, probably. Maybe even moved to tears? So, I agree that nature is certainly a living icon of God. But the whole earth as it is right now? With people? I’m not so sure.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Пятница, 01.04.2022, 17:11

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 18:13 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
I am afraid I can neither disagree nor agree with this statement. For Christians our planet, nature, humans are the creatures of God and everything exists by His will and at the same time He is in everything. Considering the idea of presence of God we may say that the whole world is His icon, but it doesn't sound right to me. Our existence is still imperfect, many bad things happen, sins as well as evil flooded this world too. I can’t accept the thought that this place with all the terrible events that have already happened and that may happen in future can be related in any sense to the depiction of the Lord. The Earth was given to humanity and changed its nature when Adam and Eve did so, that's why I see no reason why this all, still corrupted and not fixed, can be called an icon of the face of God.

AUDIO

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Среда, 04.05.2022, 21:42

tukova0306Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:54 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант
We and everything in the world are God's creations. God created us in His image and according to His likeness. Everything else, I mean plants, animals, nature was created to serve us. As men, we are the means for God to manifest Himself on the earth. God created us in His image and according to His likeness so that we as men would fulfill His plan, express God, defeat His enemy, and bring in the kingdom of God into the human race.

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 224 (St. John of Damascus)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024