Unit 29 Weather and climate - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 29 Weather and climate
Unit 29 Weather and climate
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 11.02.2023, 14:30 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
How important is weather and climate for you personally? Does it affect your life in any way?

What words can you use to describe the climate in your country? Your ideal climate?

Describe climate in another country / climate zone you have been to.

How would you describe current
  moral / cultural / political / social / economic climate in Russia / the EU / the UK / the USA?

Write a story using words and expressions from the unit.

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 17.02.2023, 12:02 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
What words can you use to describe the climate in your country? Your ideal season?

We’re so lucky that we can experience all kinds of weather in our country.

Most people enjoy summer because they can usually travel somewhere and it’s quite HOT. Although I have a SUNNY DISPOSITION, I can’t stand SWELTERING weather. When it’s SULTRY, I can’t concentrate and my memory is HAZY. Roasting weather CLOUDS MY JUDGEMENT. That’s why I usually meet summer with a FROSTY RECEPTION. Hardly ever could I get accustomed to the STIFLING weather.

Then comes autumn, the time when it’s CHUCKING IT DOWN. It’s usually BREEZY, people are UNDER A CLOUD and prefer to stay at home, and so do I. I like being SNOWED UNDER with work. I don’t want to greet autumn with a HAIL OF ABUSE. It could be my favourite season but the WINDS OF DISCONTENT come when I must go to the university when it’s a real DELUGE outside.

To my mind, the most encouraging season of the year is spring. It can sometimes be a bit NIPPY. However, the air isn’t MUGGY but rather fresh. I would characterise it as a CLIMATE OF CHANGE, filled with new inspiration, a WHIRLWIND ROMANCE. Thus, I’m looking forward to a new spring.

My sentences:
When I was a kid, I enjoyed observing a DOWNPOUR. I used to meet it with THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE. In fact, even usual things often cheer up children, and they seldom are UNDER A CLOUD. They don’t bother with FINANCIAL or POLITICAL CLIMATE, instead of it, they are SNOWED UNDER with small details, small joys of our routine life. They always have a SUNNY DISPOSITION, and that’s wonderful.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Пятница, 05.05.2023, 20:38

abalakinan27Дата: Среда, 08.03.2023, 20:56 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
At the beginning of May early mornings are really NIPPY. You know that from your experience that they might be a bit CHILLY and FREEZING. So, it can be unpleasant especially if you have to leave your home early.

I like to be in the countryside during SWELTERING August days. To my mind, it is BOILING and ROASTING in town. So, it is more bearable to be somewhere in the suburbs.

If you want to describe a WINDY weather you can use several words for it. If the wind blows fairly strongly the weather is BREEZY. If you want to say it in an informal way it's BLOWY.

Summer days can be really OPPRESSIVE when it is SULTRY and HOT at the same time. The STIFLING heat prevents you from comfortable breathing. It feels so HEAVY and CLOSE. It becomes better while rain begins.
There are several words for describing raining weather. DELUGE is a formal word for flood. Rain can POUR and CHUCK DOWN if we talk about a DOWNPOUR in an informal situation.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Суббота, 06.05.2023, 17:30

katyadorniakДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 22:02 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
What words can you use to describe your ideal climate?

When it comes to my ideal climate, I prefer a moderate one. I enjoy a climate that is neither too hot nor too cold, and where the temperature is just right. I don't like it when the weather is too CHILLY or FREEZING, nor do I enjoy when it's NIPPY or BLOWY. I prefer a climate that is breezy and fresh, where there is a constant flow of air.

On the other hand, I find a STIFLING and OPPRESSIVE climate to be unbearable. I can't stand it when the weather is BOILING or SWELTERING, and I start to feel uncomfortable and irritable. It makes it difficult to do anything productive, and I often find myself longing for a cooler climate.

While I don't mind a light rain or DRIZZLE, a DOWNPOUR or DELUGE can be quite unpleasant, especially if I have to go outside. I prefer it when the rain is gentle and soothing, rather than being so heavy that it makes it difficult to move around.

In conclusion, my ideal climate is one that is moderate, with a comfortable temperature and a constant flow of fresh air. I don't like it when the weather is too extreme, whether it's freezing or ROASTING, and I prefer a gentle rain to a heavy downpour. Overall, a moderate climate is perfect for me, as it allows me to enjoy the outdoors without feeling uncomfortable or oppressed.

When they met, the weather was SULTRY and MUGGY, which made the whole office feel CLAMMY and STICKY, but his SUNNY DISPOSITION prevailed even in the most uncomfortable situations.  Despite the fact that she was SNOWED UNDER WITH WORK, she managed to make a presentation that caused a THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE from the audience, and he noticed her, which, however, did not CLOUD his JUDGMENT. Their WHIRLWIND ROMANCE was steeped in passion and excitement, but now it's just a HAZY MEMORY in the MISTS OF HISTORY. The WINDS OF CHANGE have separated them, as well as many in this world.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 23:28 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
When it comes to the weather, everyone has their own preferences. Some people prefer the heat of a HOT summer day, while others prefer the coolness of a NIPPY autumn morning. Personally, I am someone who enjoys a mix of both. I like to have some warmth and sunshine, but I also appreciate the crispness of cooler temperatures. However, no matter what the weather is like, I always try to maintain a SUNNY DISPOSITION. Even on the hottest, most SWELTERING of days, I try to stay positive and make the most of it. That being said, I do struggle with weather that is too SULTRY. It can make me feel HAZY and unable to concentrate, and it definitely CLOUDS MY JUDGEMENT. When it comes to seasons, I typically prefer the milder ones. I don't like it when the weather is too extreme in either direction. Summer can be nice, but only if it's not too STIFLING. Otherwise, I usually greet it with a FROSTY RECEPTION. Similarly, autumn can be lovely, but only if it's not CHUCKING IT DOWN with rain all the time. I like it when it's BREEZY and people are not UNDER A CLOUD.

-----------------------------------
sentances: sentences

• Her SUNNY DISPOSITION never wavered even during the most SWELTERING days of summer.
  • The SULTRY weather made it difficult to focus and left me feeling HAZY.
  • The negative RECEPTION to of the new policy was CLOUDING MY JUDGEMENT, making it hard to see the benefits.
  • The STIFLING heat of the afternoon was oppressive and made it feel like there was no escape from the SUN.
  • As the DOWNPOUR began.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 03.05.2023, 12:56

anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 11:40 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
How important is weather and climate for you personally? Does it affect your life in any way?

Weather and climate have a big influence on my day-to-day life. I'm absolutely sure that it affects my activities and my energy levels. During the summer months, I'm more likely to take part in outdoor activities and enjoy the sunshine. On the flip side, during cold and wet seasons, I tend to stay more in my home and focus on indoor tasks. The winter season in particular can be quite draining mentally, so I have to make sure to stay active, get enough sleep and practice self-care to ensure I'm in a positive headspace. In general, the weather and climate can be both a source of pleasure and a source of stress.

What words can you use to describe the climate in your country?

The CLIMATE in Russia can be described as continental and varied, with COLD winters and BOILING summers. Winters can be harsh and snowy, with temperatures dropping to below FREEZING, while summers are often HUMID, warm or STICKY. Depending on the location, the country can experience extreme changes in temperature over the course of a year. Overall, Russia has a very diverse and dynamic climate, with some regions receiving over 2000 hours of sunlight and others being almost perpetually in darkness. Other words that could be used to describe the climate in Russia include: unpredictable, extreme, volatile, and diverse.

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 20:31 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник

Weather and climate is very important for me. Any change of weather can affect my organism and mood. When it's BOILING and ROASTING, I can have a headache. The same happens when a DOWNPOUR starts. Also I just hate HUMID and STICKY weather. I start to sweat a lot and feel like I'm not on top.

My ideal weather is a bit CHILLY and BREEZY. I always put my favourite coat on and go for a walk with a coffee-to-go.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Среда, 03.05.2023, 16:02

posternaksophieДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 23:11 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник

Weather and climate play a significant role in our daily lives, whether we realize it or not. For me personally, the weather affects my mood, my activities, and even my wardrobe choices. Living in a region with four distinct seasons, I have experienced everything from CHILLY autumn days to FREEZING winter nights.

During the winter months, the weather can be particularly HARSH, with ICY winds BLOWING through the streets and temperatures dropping to below freezing. This chilly weather can make it difficult to get motivated to leave the warmth of my home. However, I have learned to embrace the cold by bundling up in warm clothes and enjoying outdoor winter activities like ice skating and sledding.

The climate also affects my life in more significant ways. As GLOBAL TEMPERATURE continue to rise, we are seeing more extreme weather events like HURRICANES, DROUGHTS, and WILDFIRES. These events can have devastating consequences for people and wildlife alike.

Добавлено (28.04.2023, 23:24)
---------------------------------------------
What words can you use to describe the climate in your country? Your ideal climate?

Now the climate in my country can be described as MUGGY, HUMID, and sometimes CLAMMY. During the summer months, the air can feel HEAVY and CLOSE, making it difficult to breathe. The humidity can also make it feel like you are constantly sweating, which can be uncomfortable.

Additionally, during the rainy season, it is not uncommon for it to be POURING outside. This can lead to FLOODING and other WEATHER-RELATED issues. The rain can also make the air feel even more HUMID, which can be STIFLING. In winter it is often really COLD and even FREEZING.
Despite these challenges, there are still many things to appreciate about the climate in my country. The hot and humid summers provide opportunities for outdoor activities like swimming and hiking. The RAINY SEASON also helps to keep the landscape lush and green.

However, my ideal climate would be different from what I am used to. I would love to live in a place where the weather is MILD and comfortable year-round. A climate that is not too hot or too cold, with a balance of sunshine and rainfall. In my ideal climate, it would never be too MUGGY or HUMID. Instead, the air would always feel fresh and clean. The rainfall would be moderate and consistent, helping to support a healthy ecosystem and promote plant growth.

Overall, while the climate in my country can be challenging at times, it has also taught me to appreciate the unique qualities of different weather conditions. However, my ideal climate would prioritize comfort and sustainability, providing a healthy environment for all residents.

Добавлено (28.04.2023, 23:32)
---------------------------------------------
Write a story using words and expressions from the unit.

Climate metaphors are frequently used in written English to describe the general atmosphere or situation in society. These metaphors use weather-related terms to convey a particular mood or feeling, often with a sense of intensity or urgency.

For example, the phrase "A CLIMATE OF DISTRUST" implies a pervasive feeling of suspicion or skepticism that permeates a particular social or political context. Similarly, the phrase "A CLIMATE OF CHANGE" suggests a widespread desire for transformation or reform.

Similarly, phrases like "A FROSTY RECEPTION," "TO CLOUD YOUR JUDGEMENT" and "A HAIL OF BULLETS" all use weather-related terms to convey a sense of hostility or danger. These metaphors are particularly effective because they tap into our instinctive reactions to certain types of weather, which can evoke strong emotional responses.

Other weather-related terms like "HAZY MEMORIES" or "HIDDEN IN THE MIST" suggest a sense of uncertainty or confusion. These metaphors imply that the truth or reality of a situation is difficult to discern, either because it is obscured by fog or obscured by a flurry of activity.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 03.05.2023, 14:15

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 29 Weather and climate
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024