Суббота, 04.05.2024, 04:53
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 10 Describing people: personality and character traits - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 10 Describing people: personality and character traits
Unit 10 Describing people: personality and character traits
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 29.09.2021, 12:12 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Describe a person you know well using words from the unit.

Describe one or more popular characters from fiction or film using words from the unit. Do not name the character but let your classmates guess who it is in the commentary.

Describe a situation when you were self-conscious.

Have you ever been naive and gullible? What was the outcome?

Are you impulsive? Is it good or bad, in your opinion?

Have you ever been mistaken in assessing someone's personality and character? In what way?

If you are treated in an effusive way, are you pleased or not? Why?

Suggest a Russian translation for the following sentences:

I’ve always found Professor Mactoft very unapproachable, but his colleague Dr O’Daly is very approachable.
Joe is always so polite and respectful. I wish he would be more informal and just treat me as his equal.
She’s a restless individual. I don’t think she’ll ever settle down in a job.

salomiagudovaДата: Воскресенье, 03.10.2021, 15:23 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
If you are treated in an effusive way, are you pleased or not? Why?

To treat in an effusive way means to give exaggerated expression of pleasure, praise or gratitude. I don’t think that it is something bad in itself. People have different personalities and naturally their way of reacting to certain situations is different too. It would be boring if it was otherwise. I think until a person is honest with his or her feelings, there’s nothing bad in being effusive and there’s certainly no need to change only because someone prefers calm people.

Having said that, personally if I was treated in an effusive way I wouldn’t be pleased. Because I would see such a reaction as unnatural and suspect that the person wasn’t isn't being honest. Also it may have something to do with the fact that I in general prefer calm people. So, I don’t think that  to treat someone in an effusive way is bad in general but I would prefer not to be treated in such a way.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Среда, 13.10.2021, 22:30

valpet251Дата: Среда, 13.10.2021, 16:03 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант
Have you ever been mistaken in assessing someone's personality and character? In what way?

I believe that it’s a very common thing to misunderstand someone’s personality and character.  Many people face this problem and I’m not an exception. I had such an experience many times, because it’s kind of difficult to assess and understand someone’s personality and character at a glance, from the first time.

Usually everyone confuses introverts and extroverts. I also had such a problem recently. I met one girl and was almost hundred percent sure that she was an introvert. She seemed to be self-conscious, taciturn, diffident and I think she had quite low self-esteem. It’s really difficult to communicate with such reserved people and some can think that they are aloof, haughty and even disdainful while in fact they are just shy.

However, after several encounters with that girl I understood how first impression is deceptive. Now I would say that she is even an extrovert and outgoing. She is very approachable and respectful when she begins to trust you.

AUDIO

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Воскресенье, 03.04.2022, 16:09

danil_naydenovДата: Среда, 13.10.2021, 21:10 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
Describe one or more popular characters from fiction or film using words from the unit. Do not name the character but let your classmates guess who it is in the commentary.

This is a character from the literature of the Renaissance. I guess impetuous is the best word to describe him, at least other characters from this book think so. His impulsiveness and excitability often leads to sad consequences, but he always does things according to his own moral compass, though obsolete and not accepted by anyone. People always make fun of our hero, but he is pushy when it comes to protecting his honour and dignity. He is rather naive and gullible, so it takes no effort to lure him into a dangerous adventure. The main problem is, he is far from being self-conscious and well-balanced. Because of that he often gets beaten by other people and he in general does more harm than good. But we sympathize with him anyway, because in his head he has a noble idea: to protect everyone from the dangers of the world.

tukova0306Дата: Среда, 20.10.2021, 18:17 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант

I would like to describe the hero of the film who has sunk deep into my mind. I guess indomitable is the best word to describe him. Despite the pain and life circumstances, he did not give up. He met problems with dignity and always did things according to his own moral compass. He had a goal to which he was going and which he achieved. Despite everything he had to go through, he was able to maintain his personal integrity and acquire new qualities such as restraint, self-reliance, obstinacy.

I suppose, the character of this hero can be correlated with the character of one of my favorite literary heroes described in the middle of the 19th century by Alexandre Dumas.

(We all watched this movie in the first year)

I would like to tell you about my friend who is a mystery to me. Some people find him RESERVED and UNAPPROACHABLE and a bit of an INTROVERT, but from my point of view, he is a real EXTROVERT. And he seems to be sometimes very EFFUSIVE with me. He is very TACITURN with strangers, but in the circle of friends he is quite GARRULOUS. I wouldn't say that he is DISDAINFUL or  PUSHY, but he certainly is PIG-HEADED. I think he is rather INWARD-LOOKING and DIFFIDENT because of his upbringing. In his family, it is not accepted to be IMPULSIVE and IMPETUOUS, they try to hide their feelings. As for me, I am a very GULLIBLE person and I am afraid that I will end up getting hurt.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:58

dolysovacomДата: Вторник, 02.11.2021, 21:14 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант

It's amazing how people's characters change with age. I want to tell you about my sister, who was an extrovert as a child, but as soon as she turned into a teenager, she became very withdrawn, unapproachable and taciturn. That is, from a sociable impulsive
girl she turned into an aloof introvert. She carefully chooses people for communication; it is truly difficult for her to open up to someone.

As for me, I’m the complete opposite. I didn't have any friends when I was a child due to my unapproachable character. I was a taciturn, well-balanced introvert. And now I can describe myself as an outgoing, impetuous, approachable person.

So it's kind of weird that siblings have such different stories about their characters.

7109633Дата: Четверг, 04.11.2021, 14:21 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант

Frankly speaking, I'm just the opposite to being impulsive. I'd say I'm taking things too serious and this is another extreme. So from my point of view being impulsive from time to time is fine. You may want to buy a cake and eat it and there is nothing bad about it if you do. You may go on a trip all of a sudden and actually it may be so that you haven't had a good rest for a while and can postpone your work for a little bit. So your spontaneous trip won't be a bad decision. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes impetuosity can be just an inner signal, some wish which cannot be included in our pragmatic and boring list of daily tasks.

For me, for example, it can be difficult to make an impulsive decision, because of my exaggerated consciousness (I did not mix up it there with conscientiousness, I did mean something like "самосознание", but not "добросовестность") which is bordering on simple anxiety to do something wrong. That's why I believe impetuosity is not bad, when it is not exaggerated.

AUDIO

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Суббота, 09.04.2022, 17:22

lopatinavarvaraДата: Четверг, 18.11.2021, 19:31 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант

The first impression is often quite misleading. As I remember now, when I first met Arina, she seemed an introvert to me, and at the same time arrogant, aloof and reserved and a little diffident. But now I see that she is an outgoing girl, very excitable in a good way and approachable. We’re having a great time when we are together, we always have something to talk about. So you can't make a conclusion about a person’s character without getting to know them.

Сообщение отредактировал lopatinavarvara - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 18:38

danil_naydenovДата: Четверг, 25.11.2021, 14:09 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
Sentences. Unit 10 (the continuation of the story from Unit 9)

This disdainful behaviour started getting on his nerves. Harry, usually / always reserved and taciturn, lost self-control and started babbling something about the murder he investigates, just to get rid of that agonizing silence. Later he will be kicking himself for acting so impetuous and providing a civil person with the details of the case. The man listened carefully, his haughty look and effusive reaction to every word Harry said clearly showed that he already knows everything.

bondarenkodv7Дата: Пятница, 08.04.2022, 22:42 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
Have you ever been mistaken in assessing someone's personality and character? In what way?

Yes, I did in fact have such a situation with my friend Kirill. When he was first introduced to us by another friend of mine, he seemed rather aloof and even taciturn – he said maybe twenty words in total and didn’t seem to be comfortable while having this “conversation”. This first impression led many of my friends to believing that Kirill was unapproachable and an introvert.

However, after three or four times we met his behavior started to change – he started engaging in our conversations, told a couple stories of his own, and even his voice became more confident. As he told us later, his first encounter with us was so awkward because he generally is nervous around people he doesn’t know, and in
our case he was even more nervous since he heard a lot about some of us and didn’t want to leave a bad impression. He thought that if he was outgoing from the start, we’d think of him as purposefully effusive and wanting to get our attention. It all of course worked out in the end, and now we know he’s a nice and friendly guy, despite being a bit too self-conscious at times.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал bondarenkodv7 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 16:24

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:14 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник

I don`t think that I`m impulsive, maybe just a bit. I may easily be involved with any activity I find interesting. For example, once I bought a large set of tools for woodcarving but I gave up this idea maybe in a week. In this case, I can call myself excitable. But, concerning actions and behavior I prefer to think about a situation before making any actions or decisions.
I believe that impulsivity may cause many troubles. That`s why I prefer to stay calm but resolute even when I`m angry, irritated, or upset. Nevertheless I wouldn`t call myself diffident or reserved. I can be pushy and resolute if it`s necessary.

Rachel is a very modest person I didn`t notice any signs of self-importance. She`s always polite and respectful, maybe because of low self-esteem, but I don`t think so. I believe she`s just an introvert.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:15

bondarenkodv7Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 19:16 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
So, what qualities should a good leader have? Well, for starters, you must be an EXTROVERT since being a leader means interacting with people and convincing them to follow you. An IMPULSIVE and EXCITABLE personality might help with the aspect of persuasion, but don’t overdo it, or it will look EFFUSIVE and unnatural. You don’t want to look PUSHY to the public even if you do have your own interests in mind. Of course, confidence in yourself and your actions is also important – if you’re DIFFIDENT and GULLIBLE, you can easily become a pawn in the hands of your advisors. However, you don’t want to be too self-confident, to the point of being CONCEITED and SELF-IMPORTANT, since people don’t like those qualities and might refuse to follow you because of them. It’s also crucial not to be OBSTINATE, because you can’t know everything better than everybody else, so sometimes you’ll have to listen to someone with more experience and change your
own position accordingly.

Добавлено (10.04.2022, 19:17)
---------------------------------------------
Translation:

Я всегда считал профессора Мактофта очень нелюдимым, а его коллегу доктора О’Дали, напротив, очень общительным.

Джо всегда очень вежливо и уважительно общается со мной. Мне бы хотелось, чтобы он был более раскованным и воспринимал меня как равного.

У нее неугомонный характер. Думаю, она так никогда и не найдет себе работу по душе.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал bondarenkodv7 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 16:27

zhuravleva369Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:17 | Сообщение # 13
Лейтенант

Truth be told, I am a very impulsive person. I got used to this character trait. I'm not surprised by my reaction to certain events. Although for some people it can be a huge surprise. The good thing about it is that I'm easily appeased at the same time. I can forgive someone quickly and calm down after some stress quickly as well. Being impulsive can be bad if a person cannot be appeased easily. In other cases, it's just a character trait. I don't think this is a very good trait, but if a person is impulsive it's not a disaster and he can be a good friend or partner.

Once I was invited to a party. It was my sister's birthday party and I didn't know anyone except her. She introduced me to her friends and I found all of them (except one girl) very nice people. It seemed to me, that the girl is very unapproachable. She was very tall, wore black clothes and even black lipstick. By the end of the party I realised that she is the most positive, approachable and supportive person among those invited to the party. She appeared to belong to the type of people who always look after their friends and take care that everyone can feel comfortable. She was very nice to me as well and I changed my opinion about her character.

Translation:

Я всегда думал, что профессор Мактофт очень неприветливый человек, а вот его коллега доктор О'Дейли, наоборот, очень общительный.

Джо всегда такой вежливый и почтительный. Вот бы он вел себя более непринужденно и относился ко мне как к равному.

Она такой человек, что не может спокойно сидеть на месте. Я не думаю, что она когда-нибудь найдет постоянную работу.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 22:20

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 04.12.2022, 16:53 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
Have you ever been naive and gullible? What was the outcome?

I want to tell you a story about how my rose-colored glasses broke.

Last year, a new waiter came to the bar where I work. He seemed well-balanced and outgoing. We communicated well, he was older than me, I viewed him as a good friend. I must say that I was so naive and trusting then (more than now exactly).  We talked and spent time together. One day we had a big event at the bar, my colleague behaved badly, and I was the only one who stood up for him. I won't reveal all the details, he didn't appreciate it and we quarreled. Then he asked for forgiveness, because he really was wrong. He behaved disdainfully and immodestly. Each of us has drawn conclusions.

I'm not offended by him at all, I'm just grateful to him for this experience. I began to look at people more sensibly, not to romanticize the image of a person and not to get attached, because often we are held by common experiences and not by the personality itself. Such a trifling incident turned my views upside down.

1. Я всегда считал профессора Мактофта достаточно недружелюбным, а его коллегу доктор О'Дейли очень приветливым.
2. Джо всегда такой вежливый и учтивый. Я бы хотел, чтобы он относился ко мне менее официально, был со мной наравне.
3. Она тревожный человек. Я не думаю, что она когда-нибудь устроится на работу.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 21:09

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 05.12.2022, 23:16 | Сообщение # 15
Полковник

When we first met, I imagined him to be quite a reserved person, a bit taciturn, for he didn’t speak much and looked aloof, sitting alone in a crowded room. But then we had a very charming conversation and I understood he wasn't diffident. On the contrary, he seemed to be nice, self-sufficient, well-balanced and a little shy. However, after some time passed, and we got closer, I realized that I was mistaken - he wasn’t an introvert at all. The person I saw was a very approachable and communicative fellow. What is more, he wasn’t reserved, but impulsive, even impetuous. You can understand my surprise when I found out that he wasn’t modest either. He appeared to be the meanest and the most self-important person I had ever met. Indeed, the first impression can be deceptive.

-----------------------------------------------------------
She is so HAUGHTY, DISDAINFUL and PUSHY. I can't reconcile myself with the way she treats me.People explain her behaviour by high SELF-ESTEEM, but I strongly believe that if she got much self-esteem she would treat people as equals and RESPECT everyone. However, she does not. It seems she is just too SELF-CONSCIOUS.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 29.05.2023, 11:08

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 10 Describing people: personality and character traits
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024