не предусмотрено.

Четверг, 09.05.2024, 14:37
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 099 The language of signs and notices - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 099 The language of signs and notices
Unit 099 The language of signs and notices
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 30.07.2022, 15:40 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Choose one or more of the signs and notices below and write a paragraph about it (what you think it means, why it was set up, what might be the story behind it etc.).

More signs and notices... (stored at Yandex.Disk. File name contains number for reference).
Прикрепления: 1011740.jpg (134.8 Kb) · 3162796.png (310.6 Kb) · 0596993.png (788.0 Kb) · 1051408.png (797.0 Kb) · 9044689.png (852.4 Kb) · 0692444.png (1.48 Mb) · 0483678.png (715.8 Kb) · 0022025.png (686.5 Kb) · 4743931.png (858.3 Kb) · 9389182.png (1.13 Mb)

abalakinan27Дата: Четверг, 22.09.2022, 11:39 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Notice number two which says "Thank you for noticing this new notice. Your noticing it has been noted and will be reported to the authorities" amused me a lot. It is made up in a very humorous manner and at the same time an admonitory one. Probably it is prohibited to be at this very place and logically being here means that you have broken the law reaching this destination.
As far as I'm concerned that's very good if a notice can be seen from far away. In this case you are warned beforehand and are safe henceforth.

Добавлено (22.09.2022, 14:35)
---------------------------------------------
To my mind this sign may be perfectly used in every family. Of course not every member of your family might possess a fridge and there might be an owner who should be aware of "being robbed". But actually it is an ambiguous topic as some food kept there might not be yours. There's a high chance of becoming a thief. Nevertheless forewarned is forearmed.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Вторник, 18.04.2023, 11:49

tsumskaa30Дата: Вторник, 27.09.2022, 15:24 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Beware of smartphone zombies

This sign is well-applied to our daily life. It is obvious that due to our addiction to smartphones we sometimes resemble zombies. Such a situation that this picture depicts has already become quite usual. We are not surprised when we see such people or when we ourselves behave this way. We may have an urgent message to answer or our exams to prepare for. Doing everything while walking we save our time. In any case we gaze at our smartphones more and more often not even noticing those around us.

For example, I have myself run against people several times just because I was absorbed with my handy. To tell the truth, I even sometimes struck against various kinds of pillars, doors and pavements due to this very state of being unaware of what was happening around me.

Therefore, I believe that this sign would be really necessary on the roads. For instance, these signs are vital for car drivers who can easily face one of the smartphone zombies. Moreover, we may need signs with this warning in metro, central streets and shopping malls. It may save an elderly woman from a sudden push. Of course, these notices would be also didactic for us, zombies.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 06.02.2023, 15:39

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 16.10.2022, 15:56 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
stay safety

This sign caught my attention. In fact, on the one hand it is very funny, but at the same time it is quite clever.

It would be nice if there was such a sign in every classroom to attract attention of every student. Such a sign in a playful way encourages students to be more responsible about their studies. To be honest, I myself sometimes sin by sleeping in class, and this sign would make me more serious. Such a sign disposes students. You can take a coffee to feel more cheerful, and you will be comfortable. And "turn on the brains" reminds us why we came here
smile

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 18:55

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 17.10.2022, 16:09 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
"FREE wi-fi, fine WINE"

I'm a big fan of humour. And I've chosen sign number 10, which states "FREE wi-fi, fine WINE". I absolutely love that the authors of this sign approached the issue of inviting guests in a creative and humorous way.

This kind of visitor attraction trick is quite common. The idea is that words written in large font, here FREE and WINE, instantly catch attention of the passerby. The person reads the sign as "free wine", which is a delight. Only approaching the sign closely this person will see the words "wi-fi" and "fine" that were left out of the accent. Only then it will become clear that the place offers free wi-fi and good wine.

There will probably be people who will realise that they have been tricked and walk away disappointed that in reality they won't get any free wine. However, I think there will be those who will chuckle heartily at this prank and go to the restaurant for some fine wine.

Добавлено (17.10.2022, 16:23)
---------------------------------------------
The signs we can often see on the streets have a major role in keeping people safe. Unfortunately, accidents often happen and there are signs such as "REDUCE SPEED NOW" to prevent them. A similar "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT HERE" sign could just as likely save a cyclist's life. There are also those signs that exist simply to help people with everyday things, such as the "LUNCHES NOW BEING SERVED" sign.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 18.12.2022, 12:58

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 17.10.2022, 22:35 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
All the signs have one common feature - humour. Or, I would rather say, absurd humour. To put something on the place where it shouldn't be, to write words which are not expected - that is the best method to catch one's attention, that is how human mind works. As attached signs are quite similar in this respect it was difficult to choose. Finally, I decided to take the one which says "text us" and those with "wine" and "wi-fi".

I suggest the first sign to be made not only for drawing attention. It seems its main aim is to entertain the guests of the hotel where it is located. I think so for it doesn't contain any vital information. The sign and its "translation" to "the language of teenagers" make us smile and what is more win over guests' liking.

The second sign is a provocation and an elegant way to find clients. The words "free" and "wine" being put together definitely attract attention. And it's not hard to imagine what impression they would make on people passing by being written in caps lock. I don't think anyone would be hurt or disappointed by this enchanting trick which plays on humans craving for alcohol and anything which is free.

--------------------------
When the sign says "TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED" it means you can't walk on this land, it's private. If "REDUCE SPEED NOW" is written then go slowly. "LUNCHES BEING SERVED" means you can buy lunch in the place.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 19:58

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 18.10.2022, 09:46 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
The sign number 10 "FREE wifi fine WINE" seems to me so funny kind of advertisement! A person who sees this blackboard from afar notices just the promise of free wine. Of course they rush there in the restaurant to try it. It can be funny for them to read the true meaning of the notice - and nevertheless the restaurant will get a good feedback for authentic advertising. And the disappointment because of not having free wine will be smoothed by the sense of humor of the owners of the restaurant.

---
Little John Miller was a very curious and very brave chikd. So seeing the notice Tresspassers will be prosecuted he got 'tresspassers' as 'pioneer', so he bravely went through the newly-cut lawn, imagining himself the Captain Vrangel or someone like him. Seeing the notice Lunches now being served on a nice small restaurant he came to a waiter and said: 'Mister, I am to have a lunch now. Where are they being served now?'.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Вторник, 20.12.2022, 00:02

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 25.10.2022, 07:27 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
Number 9

This sign might be put in some university classes. There are tips on the signs how to work more productively in class.
There may have been cases of sleeping and yawning students during the lessons, so the staff came up with an idea to improve student working efficiency by the use of advertising.
I suppose that this funny sign and a cup of tea might help students to be more concentrated.

While we were walking in the park, we found many SIGNS. For example, FEEDING ANIMALS IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN; CYCLISTS DISMOUNT HERE; FISHING PERMIT HOLDERS ONLY. But luckily, walking wasn’t FORBIDDEN.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 12:38

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 22.11.2022, 13:20 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
08 - No eye contact

penalty is 200$

This sign warns the reader that any attempt at eye contact is prohibited and otherwise a fine is charged

It can even be noted that this sign does not look like an advertisement, but more like a sign in a public place.

It is impossible to say for sure where this sign is located, but it can be assumed that this is public transport, since there is a logical explanation for this.

Imagine a situation when you are in the subway or bus, people are around you and they are pressing against you from all sides. You're not in the mood at all, you're tired, you're angry or sad, and it's very stuffy in transport. In a word, a terrible situation. And then you notice the look on you. A long, staring look at you, you turn around and meet the gaze of a stranger. And he keeps looking. You become even more uncomfortable, you get nervous and panic. And in order to avoid such situations, perhaps the people of the future will forbid eye contact.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Пятница, 26.04.2024, 16:10

antonryadinskiДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 13:35 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник

If such a sign existed, it would be concerning as it promotes a sense of fear and paranoia among airport passengers. Making eye contact is a natural human behavior, and penalizing someone for doing so can be seen as an invasion of personal space and freedom. It is important for airports and other public places to prioritize safety and security, but not at the expense of basic human rights and dignity. Instead of enforcing strict rules like this, airports should focus on creating a welcoming and comfortable environment for all passengers while maintaining necessary security measures.

_____

Sentences:

• When approaching the construction zone, remember to REDUCE SPEED NOW to keep everyone safe.
  • The CYCLISTS DISMOUNT HERE sign is necessary to ensure the safety of both cyclists and pedestrians crossing the busy street.
  • LUNCHES NOW BEING SERVED at the airport's food court provide a welcome break for hungry travelers.
  • TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED signs are posted around the property to warn people not to enter without permission.
  • The SIGNS indicate that FEEDING ANIMALS IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN at this wildlife refuge to prevent harm to both animals and visitors.
  • FISHING PERMIT HOLDERS ONLY are allowed to fish in this lake to preserve its ecosystem and promote sustainable fishing practices.

lisaswan001Дата: Среда, 03.04.2024, 13:45 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
Sign number two took me back to my childhood. When I moved to Moscow from the countryside, I had just started reading and loved to read the adverts that were pasted on poles. I remember the first time I saw such a sign with a photograph of a young man on it. At first, I thought that he was missing, but then I saw a small text under the photo: "Thank you for noticing, have a nice day!". I remember that it brought a smile to my face, and when I got home, I started telling the story to my parents and siblings.

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 04.04.2024, 11:03 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
I like the sign "Be the first to like this post" the most. I think these signs are posted to make people smile while they are waiting for the bus or the green light. Imagine the situation: you wake up in the morning and don't feel like going outside and interacting with strangers or acquaintances, it is the cold morning and you can't wait to get on the bus... But then you see this sign. Your mood will definitely become better and you will smile (maybe just internally, but still it will cheer you up).
Another example is the sign number 38, "Cat Found". It's absolutely absurd, so also has a great effect on people's moods.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 04.04.2024, 15:48

veronikachernykh15Дата: Четверг, 04.04.2024, 13:53 | Сообщение # 13
Майор
I think the first notice is quite comical because it contains good humor. I think this is how the owner of a private territory warns that he is not waiting for uninvited guests. As for me, despite the fact that the notice says that you will be killed, this sign is nicer and funnier than the usual "trespasses will be prosecuted".

This notice as the first one contains such a good humor. But in fact, there is a very unpleasant truth behind this sign. People often do not understand that an animal is a complex creature that cannot be approached without special training, and in a zoo animals cannot be fed cotton candy and popcorn. Every time I was at the zoo, I saw parents showing such an example of cruelty to their children. And on the web, I have seen more than once how people come close to wild animals and get injured.

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 099 The language of signs and notices
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024