не предусмотрено.

Среда, 15.05.2024, 09:02
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 78 Abbreviations and acronyms - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 78 Abbreviations and acronyms
Unit 78 Abbreviations and acronyms
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 08.10.2021, 23:29 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1 What’s the nearest uni to the place where you live? Why did you opt for PSTGU instead?

2 Have you ever tried scuba diving? Would you like to?

3 Are you concerned about GM food? Why (not)?

4 Do you know anyone who has SAD? What are the symptoms / consequences in the person's life?

5 What is the main source of carbs in your diet?

6 What abbreviations / acronyms do you use in your everyday life (both in speech and writing, Russian or English)?

What do the following abbreviations and acronyms stand for? 

CAPTCHA

POS

POTUS

TGIF

YOLO

IQ

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 20.10.2021, 16:28 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник

1. What’s the nearest uni to the place where you live? Why did you opt for PSTGU instead?

Of course, PSTGU is not the nearest university to the place where I live. When I was pondering over the choice of the uni which I wanted to enter, I lived in Podolsk and even didn’t think that I would study in my city. To tell the truth, Podolsk is the biggest city in the Moscow region. Therefore, it has several colleges and institutes - PSSI (Social-Athletic Institute), Institute of Economics, SGA (Modern Humanitarian Academy). It is obvious that the education in these places is not the best one. Many of my classmates entered MGOU (Moscow Region State University).

But in fact, the location of universities was the least thing that I was interested in. Since my father, as a military man, got the assignment to move to Podolsk, my parents and I have realised that I would continue my education in Moscow, though at that time I was only 10 years old. I got accustomed to this thought and was preparing for it.

I chose the university according to my own preference. Nobody advised me to enter it, my family even didn’t know of its existence. I heard of PSTGU from social media by accident, and it was the best fortuity in my life!

CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) — Капча (компьютерный тест, используемый для того, чтобы определить, кем является пользователь системы: человеком или компьютером).

POS - (Point of sale) - место продажи (понятие в маркетинге, характеризующее место, где покупатель оформляет покупку; касса универсама).

POTUS (President of the United States) - Президент США.

TGIF (Thank God it's Friday) - Слава Богу, сегодня пятница.

YOLO (You Only Live Once) - Живем лишь раз.

IQ (intelligence quotient) - коэффициент интеллекта.

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 17.11.2021, 02:27 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Acronyms and abbreviations are firmly entrenched in our everyday speech. I often use them, usually among peers. Here are some of them.

ADMIN - means Administrator, usually in a group in a social network.

IKEA - the name uses the name of the founder, as well as the name of the village and farm where he was born. It stands for Ingvar Kamprad, Elmtaryd, Agunnaryd.

BTW – stands for By the way. It is also often used on the Internet.

LOL and IMHO do not need representations, but it is interesting to note that these acronyms are so well-known that they are often written in Cyrillic, even though they only make sense in English.

Some abbreviations are widely accepted among music lovers. International are such as MCR - for My Chemical Romance and P!ATD - for Panic! At The Disco. I often use the abbreviation K&J - for the King and the Jester (Russian Korol’ I Shut - KiSH), although the leader of the band once said in the interview that he disliked such an abbreviation.

Of course, I also use a lot of Russian abbreviations and acronyms. For example, the following: MCD stands for Moscow Central Diameters - the most affordable transport on Pererva.

Sometimes I use VRN instead of Voronezh and MSK instead of Moscow.

In conclusion, I’d like to say that such words should not be abused. Their goal is to make the conversation easier, not to complicate understanding.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Среда, 17.11.2021, 02:30

posternaksophieДата: Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 20:43 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
1 What’s the nearest uni to the place where you live? Why did you opt for PSTGU instead?

The nearest uni to the place where I live is RAN, but it doesn't have philological department and honestly I never felt like applying to that uni. Going to PSTGU was a conscious choice and I wanted to study here since the 9th form. The choice of uni shouldn't be based solely on the location of the uni as it needs to be a decision made consciously and thoughtfully.

2 Have you ever tried scuba diving? Would you like to?

I've never tried it and I'm afraid of deep waters. Moreover, remembering about Uliana's story about sharks makes me feel too intimidated.

I'm not. Life's too short to read the labels). Besides, the pace of my life is too fast and as I come to the shop I just grab what looks eatable and do with it till the end of the day. Unfortunately today GM food is everywhere and we never know what's inside the food which is proclaimed GM free. Food which is really not genetically modified costs a fortune and I can't possibly afford to buy it on the daily basis.

4 Do you know anyone who has SAD? What are the symptoms / consequences in the person's life?

I can't say I know such people as this syndrome is usually not obvious and people do not want to reveal it.

5 What is the main source of carbs in your diet?

I eat a lot of fast food and it is the main source of carbs in my diet.

6 What abbreviations / acronyms do you use in your everyday life (both in speech and writing, Russian or English)?

Very often I write Msk instead of Moscow. I also use imho, lol, sth, smb and кст very often in messages with friends. Sometimes I write English abbreviations with Russian letters (имхо, лол)

CAPTCHA
- Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart. We must fill in the CAPTCHA code each time we post something on this forum to prove we aren't robots.

POS - Point of Sale. Cashdesk is a good example of POS.

POTUS - President of the United States

TGIF - Thank God it's Friday

YOLO - You Only Live Once

IQ - intelligence quotient

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 20:50

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 01.12.2021, 04:33 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I appreciate ABBREVIATIONS and ACRONYMS, but their overuse makes me feel uncomfortable. I mean, I would never say something like: OMG, there's no information in the FAQ about WHO forbidding GM but I heard on BBC that it causes SAD and changes in human DNA. It just sounds wrong, IMHO. So I hope to learn the language ASAP to use full names, AKA high words.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 01.12.2021, 14:29 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник

The nearest uni to me is BSU - Belgorod State University. It is rather good place to study, but still I decided to go to PSTGU because my friend had studied here. He recommended it to me. Then I started to read about PSTGU and I really wanted to enter this place.

I like the concept of education in the university where I am now. I like my future profession and it is really great that it is interconnected with theology.

CAPTCHA - Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.

POS - Point of sale

Nowadays the most famous organization is WHO - WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION that is located in EU - EUROPEAN UNION. Every week we can hear its decisions on the BBC - BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION radio. Nowadays the popular topic for discussion are ID - IDENTITY passports for vaccinated people.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Среда, 01.12.2021, 22:08

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 03.12.2021, 17:43 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
Have you ever tried scuba diving? Would you like to?

I’ve never tried scuba diving. I think I’d like to try it someday, because it’s really fascinating and breathtaking. You can see exotic fish, corals and underwater plants. It’s a kind of expensive activity and you should be in a good shape to do that. Besides, many people have a fear of depth, and so do I. However, I think I’ll be able to overcome this fear and then I’m definitely going to try scuba diving!

CAPTCHA - Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.

POS - Point of sale

Before new year’s holidays I have a lot of things to do. First of all, I have to sit my exams at the UNI. Then I have to get a new ID, because mine is expired. I need to do a wish list for my Santas AKA my family and friends so that they could buy me the presents I really want. I won’t put a new MOBILE in the list, because I’ve bought it on my own, but I’ll definitely add a few KILOS of tangerines. Also I wish I had an AIR CON, because I hate when it’s hot, but I doubt that someone would actually buy such an expensive present for me.

anastasiadregan864Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 01:48 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник

I am not concerned about GM food because I don't have any time in the morning. I am always in hurry, late somewhere, so I often forget about breakfast. However, when I'm at home and I have a lot of time, I like to arrange beautiful and delicious breakfasts for my family.

I can’t remember using acronyms in my oral speech, but I do use it them in writing. I use such acronyms as IMHO, HB, LOL, POV, ASAP, IDK, Msk etc.

CAPTCHA -
Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart

POS - Point of Sale

POTUS - President of the United States

TGIF - Thank God it's Friday

YOLO - You Only Live Once

IQ - intelligence quotient

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 20:45

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 78 Abbreviations and acronyms
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024