не предусмотрено.

Среда, 15.05.2024, 03:53
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 48 Praising and criticising - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 48 Praising and criticising
Unit 48 Praising and criticising
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 29.09.2021, 17:06 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
How often do you praise others?

How often are you praised by others? Is it good or bad for you?

Have you ever been highly praised?

Do you know anyone who does something brilliantly?

Who can you call a first-rate performer? What instrument does (s)he play?

Do you have a way with small children? Older people? Animals?

Do you (or anyone you know) have green fingers?

In what professions is the gift of the gab really important?

Was any of your classmates in the secondary school head and shoulders above the rest of the class at some subject? Has it become his / her profession?

In what way(s) is Russia streets ahead of other countries?

Describe anything you have encountered that was out of this world.

How often do you criticise others?

How often are you criticised by others? Is it good or bad for you?

Suggest a translation for the following sentences:

I think Antonio’s being totally absurd. 
She thinks she’s the cat’s whiskers / the bee’s knees. 
When it comes to time-keeping, he’s the world’s worst.
Jack is so rude. He really takes the biscuit. 
Jo wants to have her cake and eat it! 

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 06.10.2021, 20:36 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник

I have a friend who has different kinds of talents including some qualities that I really appreciate.

Her main quality is prudence – a sensible and careful attitude to everything. She has managed to think calmly even if the situation is critical, and she does it brilliantly. She is never in a hurry, never stressed, that’s why she doesn’t forget things that are really important. She is always accurate and self-disciplined; she knows how to size up a situation reasonably and find the best solution.

Moreover, she has a way with people of different ages. She can sacrifice her own time and comfort to communicate with those who need her. She tells stories brilliantly sharing her experience with others. At the same time, she never falls under influence of people who have opposite perception of life. For example, she doesn’t drink alcohol even if all her friends from the company do it. She continues holding her own in spite of all the obstacles.

To sum up, I believe that she keeps her head brilliantly, and we all can learn a lot from her example and adopt some useful qualities. She is my best friend; her name is Nadya.

I think Antonio’s being totally absurd. – Мне кажется, что Антонио ведет себя совершенно нелепо.
She thinks she’s the cat’s whiskers / the bee’s knees. – Она думает о себе не весть что.
When it comes to time-keeping, he’s the world’s worst. – Когда дело доходит до пунктуальности, он первый с конца.
Jack is so rude. He really takes the biscuit. – Джек такой грубый. Его поведение не лезет ни в какие рамки.
Jo wants to have her cake and eat it! – Джо хочет получить всё и сразу!

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 06.10.2021, 22:00 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Who can you call a first-rate performer? What instrument does (s)he play?

Among all the composers I like Rachmaninoff. I have no musical education but, I think, I could call him a first-rate performer. He is famous worldwide for his  unique style. I like listening to his music when I'm doing something, it is really relaxing and it helps to work.

Rachmaninoff is a pianist. I like the way he plays the piano, he is really a master and has a talent. Besides, he is a composer too. I always admired how people can compose music. It is something hard for me to understand. You really have to be a very gifted person. I like the choral works by Rachmaninoff. I think, that he is head and shoulders above composers who make compositions for choir.

1. Я считаю, что Антонио ведет себя совершенно нелепо.
2. Она высокого мнения о себе.
3. Что касается его пунктуальности, то просто нет никого хуже.
4. Джек очень груб. Это уже чересчур от него.
5. Джо хочет только брать и ничего не давать взамен.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 13:07

katyadorniakДата: Четверг, 18.11.2021, 02:47 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Do you have a way with small children? Older people? Animals?

I really love small children. However, to be loved by them, you need to be either beautiful, like a Barbie doll, or funny and cuddly like a teddy bear. I do the second one better. I'm pretty good at keeping the kids occupied, at least while their parents are having coffee with my mother.

I do have my way with the older generation. I was brought up to be respectful and helpful. Although it can be pleasant, I'm terrible at communicating with my peers, and this, like it or not, is more important.

I love animals, especially those that can't hurt me. In September, I made friends with a cat who lived near the dorm. She came every evening to be fed and petted by me. Perhaps this is my greatest achievement in communicating with animals.

Добавлено (01.12.2021, 04:32)
---------------------------------------------
I must admit: I do almost everything in my life for the sake of PRAISE. At the same time, I take CRITICISM very badly. However, I don't do much BRILLIANTLY. I write poems, but they are not FIRST-RATE. I'm not bad at writing essays, but not TOP-NOTCH even among the group. I HAVE MY WAY WITH children, but I don't see myself in a profession related to them in the future. According to my friends, I GOT THE GIFT OF THE GAB, but sometimes I feel numb and dumb. I can clearly see who is HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE our group, and it's not me, I'm not even close. I know I'm being a little ABSURD about this, but at least I realize that I'm not CAT'S WHISKERS. Although I would really like to HAVE A CAKE AND EAT IT, but it will mean that I’m TAKING THE BISCUIT.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 03.12.2021, 16:09 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
Who can you call a first-rate performer? What instrument does he play?

This Tuesday I discovered Ivan Bessonov when he was giving a top-notch performance. Ivan's a 18-year-old first-rate pianist. By his age he's already performed in the major concert halls in Russia. He plays the piano brilliantly and extremely emotionally. His playing amazed me because it was like he doesn’t make an effort to press the piano keys, his fingers flew so freely. Ivan played the most difficult pieces of classical music. I’ll never forget the last theme of Tchaikovsky's ‘Nutcracker’ in his performance. The people were clapping while standing. This concert left me impressed.

This Tuesday I discovered Ivan Bessonov when he was giving a TOP-NOTCH performance. Ivan's a 18-year-old FIRST-RATE pianist. He plays the piano BRILLIANTLY and extremely emotionally. His playing was OUT OF THIS WORLD. I think he is AMONG THE BEST pianists in Russia.

1. Я думаю, Антонио ведёт себя нелепо.
2. Она о себе высокого мнения.
3. В плане пунктуальности хуже него никого нет.
4. Джек такой грубый. Это уже чересчур.
5. Джо не знает, что без труда не выловить и рыбку из пруда.

abalakinan27Дата: Суббота, 04.12.2021, 14:11 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник

I suppose I know such person. Her name is Tanya. She's not only a brilliant friend. She knows the way she's going. Before I made acquaintance with her I had known about her great exam results. That time I was wondering how she had done it. But when I knew her I understood that she is a top-notch student. She is used to doing everything on time without leaving important things for the last moment. She knocks spots off the other's time management. In spite of all her amazing personal features, she isn't a big-head and she doesn't think she's the cat's whiskers. I suppose that for Tanya's self-discipline decent tribute should be paid to her parents and an elder brother.

She's really on the ball when I am in a mood and can easily calm me. She is among the best people in my life. Thank God I met her!

I think Antonio’s being totally absurd. - Мне кажется, что Антонио ведёт себя совершенно нелепо.
She thinks she’s the cat’s whiskers / the bee’s knees. - Она очень высокого мнения о себе.
When it comes to time-keeping, he’s the world’s worst. - Когда дело доходит до управления временем, он первый с конца.
Jack is so rude. He really takes the biscuit. Джек так груб. Он бьёт все рекорды!
Jo wants to have her cake and eat it! Джо хочет всего и сразу!

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 20:44

anastasiadregan864Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 02:15 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник

My grandmother cooks brilliantly. Any of her dishes is a real work of art. She has never attended cooking courses or watched training videos, her skills and abilities are many years of experience on in her own mistakes. She can
cook a delicious dish from several products foods / groceries  that are left in the fridge. Her signature dish is "Medovik". It is a famous Russian honey cake that loves the whole family the whole family loves. I adore our tradition when grandma teaches us a new dish every time my sisters and I come to visit her. It is very valuable for all of us. On our last visit, she taught us how to make cheesecake. It turned out really tasty and grandma was proud of us.

I think Antonio’s being totally absurd. - Мне кажется, Антонио ведет себя крайне нелепо.
She thinks she’s the cat’s whiskers / the bee’s knees. - Она о себе очень высокого мнения.
When it comes to time-keeping, he’s the world’s worst. - Когда дело касается пунктуальности, то нет хуже его.
Jack is so rude. He really takes the biscuit.  - Джэк столь груб, это уже чересчур.
Jo wants to have her cake and eat it! - Джо хочет себе все и сразу.

Jonny Depp is one of the most famous and high-paid actors in the world. His acting is HIGHLY PRAISED. He sings, writes poems, plays electronic guitar BRILLIANTLY. His mother said that he has GOT THE GIFT OF THE GAB since childhood. He does charity work and inspires millions of people to be kinder and more warm-hearted. I truly believe that he is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 18:15

posternaksophieДата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 19:16 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник

I think Antonio’s being totally absurd.
She thinks she’s the cat’s whiskers / the bee’s knees.
When it comes to time-keeping, he’s the world’s worst.
Jack is so rude. He really takes the biscuit.
Jo wants to have her cake and eat it!

Я думаю, что Антонио ведет себя совершенно нелепо.
Она очень высокого мнения о себе. У нее ЧСВ (чувство собственной важности).
В опозданиях ему нет равных.
Джек очень груб. Он хватил через край.
Джо хочет, чтобы ей все доставалось на блюдечке с голубой каемочкой.

How often are you criticised by others? Is it good or bad for you?

I'm often criticized by others when I submit my written assignments or when I do or say something in front of other people. When this criticism is constructive and people tell me how I can improve, I find it really helpful and take this advice. However, sometimes criticism can be inadequate and rude. For example, once a man on at a bus stop told me my toes were ugly and it was a bad idea to wear sandals. I ignored this criticism, but it was insulting and unpleasant.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Среда, 08.12.2021, 20:22

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 48 Praising and criticising
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024