Unit 49 Emotions and moods - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 49 Emotions and moods
Unit 49 Emotions and moods
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 29.09.2021, 12:01 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1 Describe a situation or event which would make you feel on cloud nine.

2 Describe a situation or event which made you feel on top of the world.

3 Describe a situation or event when you were scared stiff.

4 Are you easily carried away by things? Give an example.

5 When people throw a wobbly in front of you, how do you normally react?

6 Do you usually manage to keep your chin up?

7 Describe a situation that made you swell with pride.

8 Do you usually take everything as it comes?

9 Which of the expressions from the Unit best describe(s) your state at the moment?

10 Have you ever been as happy as Larry? What were the circumstances?

Suggest a Russian translation for the following sentences:

She seems to be keeping her chin up.
He had a long face.
Alice threw a wobbly the other day.
Old Nora’s as fit as a fiddle.

sasavasl15Дата: Воскресенье, 03.10.2021, 15:55 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
3 Describe a situation or event when you were scared stiff.

It happened this summer, when my family and I were returning from vacation. We’ve almost been at death’s door. My family got into a terrible car accident. Russian roads still leave much to be desired. Fortunately, no one else was injured except for my hand.

I guess that at the moment when the car drove off the road into a ditch at high speed, I was scared stiff. I still remember the painfully frightening cry of my mother, the pale face of my sister and my brother who was setting his jaw. My dad threw a wobbly then and my mother was shaking in her boots.

It's really scary when your whole family gets into a situation where you have about five hours to go home, and you're stuck in the middle of the highway.  Eventually, the parents called a tow truck and we got home.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Воскресенье, 12.12.2021, 19:30

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 03.10.2021, 19:15 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник
6 Do you usually manage to keep your chin up?

First of all, I would like to say I'm a really optimistic person. I always try not to lose my heart and find pluses even in drawbacks. To be honest, it is hard sometimes.

Now it is an autumn time and it makes me sad indeed. Education seems harder; I feel tiredness more often and I want to do nothing. However, even in this case it's possible to find pluses. Golden streets, cozy evenings, hot coffee and lovely people help to fight with autumn depression.

My point is that you can find something good everywhere. After all, if you always walk around drooping and dissatisfied, then everything around you will really look incorrigible. Another important role is played by the "chain reaction". If you're cheerful, you can help your friend not to fall into apathy either.

To crown it all, I would say that I always try keeping my chin up.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 17:31

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 04.10.2021, 16:22 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Do you usually manage to keep your chin up?

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall
(“The rainy day” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

In my opinion, a person should never lose heart, because despondency and despair never lead to anything good. If one has troubles and obstacles on the path of life, he needs to talk to someone - a closer one, whether it is a relative or a friend, can help him and ease his pain. Of course, sometimes people fall making mistakes, nonetheless it is very important to get up quickly and continue following the life’s path. At first a child makes unsteady and uncertain steps, but afterwards his walk is getting more and more confident. So in troubles we should behave the same - having fallen, rise very quickly.

As for me I try to keep my chin up. Sometimes I feel done in, then I just need to rest. I can sleep, do sport or talk to my family. In order not to be in a bad mood I need to work, to do my routine activities. I find daily work very helpful because it helps to organize my time, to spread my strength properly - on studies, doing sport, playing music and helping others. Moreover, singing really cheers me up, it makes me be in good spirits.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 09:28

marichernaya911Дата: Воскресенье, 10.10.2021, 14:09 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник

I suppose, everyone who wants their life to be happy, would always try to keep their chin up. So do I. Sometimes it is quite hard to manage it, as I am emotional enough and react strongly to bad thing as well as to good ones. Nevertheless, I try to keep my chin up.

The older I get, the more I understand the mechanisms that help me to keep me in high spirits – resource state, as psychologists say. If I am physically tired, I let myself to do nothing, just rest: sleep, be in silence, walk alone in parks listening to music. Often it helps. But sometimes, when I am mentally exhausted or failed
or something bad happens, I use other things. Firstly, I try to stop myself reflecting and not to think about anything. I try to do something I love: take or process photos, play the guitar, sing songs, talk to friends. After a break of that kind I feel much better and peace fills my soul.

Then I try to take everything as it comes. Understanding that my fate is in God’s hands, taking part in Church sacraments, helping others, learning and regular, systemized work on studies and other activities – these are the things that help me to keep my chin up.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 15.11.2021, 20:26

amasaltsevaДата: Четверг, 18.11.2021, 15:11 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
Describe a situation or event when you were scared stiff.

I suggest, everyone has at least once been in a situation which frightened him or her greatly. I am not an exception. This situation happened a few years ago, before lockdown, when I was considering freedom only as a general philosophical term. As you may guess, it happened during one of those trips I valued then less than I do now. I was on a plane and as everyone there, except those with aerophobia, was relaxed and in anticipation of landing in a beautiful place I will not name. My younger siblings were already watching something in the screens which were mounted in the seats before them, and I was listening to some music. We were taking off. Everything was fine, although one thing alarmed me. That was a scared countenance of a stewardess which I glimpsed when she was walking through the rows. I remembered it in 10 minutes, when her face seemed not just scared but terrified. And she was not the only person who was scared stiff. Flight attendants were running along the aisles. I put my headphones off the ears. People sitting near me were literally saying last words to each other. Some words like “farewell, my love” and “I don’t want to die” reached me. Being at a loss I looked out of the window. The aircraft wing was on fire. Well, to say I was scared stiff would be a considerable understatement.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 23:53

veronikachernykh15Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 19:28 | Сообщение # 7
Майор

I believe that it is not quite easy to keep your chin up usually. There are a lot of stressful and unpleasant situations that every single person faces in everyday life. And sometimes it is not easy to overcome breakdowns, but despite this I have some tips on how to keep it together.

For instance, it can be hard for me to keep my chin up in my daily routine. When I understand that I can't stand studying and being with my family I get distracted for a bit and go for a walk or hanging out with friends. This method helps me greatly to take my mind off and gives me an opportunity to return to grunt work with new strength.

Also I manage to keep my chin up with the help of my favourite hobby - horse riding. Communication with animals reassures me a lot and gives me power over these strong and big animals. In addition, horse riding works greatly for me as a change of activities. Active type of rest gives me energy for monotonous sitting at home and studying.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 20:12

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 02:25 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
1 Describe a situation or event which would make you feel on cloud nine.

In the spring of this year, I came of age. I haven't celebrated my birthday for several years in a row with my friends, only with my family. And, thinking that eighteen years is a solid age, it would seem that the so-called transition to adulthood cannot go "unnoticed", I suggested to my elder brother, whose birthday is a week later than mine, to combine our birthdays into one. The offer was accepted and we spent almost three weeks preparing the party. There was only one fear: what if the party fails due to the fact that almost forty completely different people are gathered? We were really worried, but these anxieties turned out to be completely meaningless, because the party was a success. All friends are gathered in one place, neon lights illuminate dancing silhouettes-what could be better? I really was the happiest person that evening, as the birthday celebrations more than met all expectations.

Добавлено (11.12.2021, 12:57)
---------------------------------------------
1. The last couple of days I've been feeling A BIT UNDER THE WEATHER.
2. I JUMP OUT OF MY SKIN every time I watch horror movies.
3. I'm IN HIGH SPIRITS when the sun is shining outside.

Добавлено (11.12.2021, 13:09)
---------------------------------------------
I'm KEEPING MY CHIN UP because BEING IN A BAD MOOD is not to my taste at all. When someone LOOKS DOWN IN THE DUMPS, I try to support them, because I know what it's like TO FEEL DONE IN. In my opinion, it is very important to look closely at people who HAVE A LONG FACE, perhaps they are going through a difficult period and they need support.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Суббота, 11.12.2021, 12:57

tsumskaa30Дата: Четверг, 03.03.2022, 12:43 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
3. Describe a situation or event when you were scared stiff.

To tell the truth, I’m quite often scared out of my wits. It came from my childhood. I was a shy girl, a daddy’s daughter. I would be in high spirits only when I felt that the place was safe and secure, that I was among people who loved me and could defend me.

And now, when I go out alone, I feel uncomfortable. I try to keep a cool head but sometimes I can’t.

Once, I was going to church alone. It was evening, so it was quite dark. Usually, when I notice someone who seems to be strange to me, I try to pass them around. It was a similar case. I observed a tall man, he stopped in the middle of the road and waited for someone. I began to pass him around. When he was already behind me, he shouted: “Girl!”. I jumped out of my skin! I had a natural reaction - I realised that I was absolutely alone in the whole street and made a decision that was the only right one in this situation. I started running away. And then, suddenly, I heard my name. In fact, it was my acquaintance. He is a Georgian with a great sense of humour. He didn’t have an intention to frighten the life out of me. He just noticed me and wanted to go to church together.

Moreover, in my childhood I had a phobia and I suppose I still have it. It’s an imaginary situation that burglars can break into my home. Several months ago this fear came true. I was at home and heard a strange noise because someone pressed the doorknob. Fortunately, the door was locked. Then this “burglar” started to knock at the door. I really shook in my boots and felt that I was at death’s door. Happily, I was not alone. Finally, it turned out that the man just confused my door with the opposite one.

In fact, I realise now that all my fears are just imaginary.

Translation of the sentences
She seems to be keeping her chin up. - Кажется, она не падает духом.
He had a long face. - У него на лице кислая мина.
Alice threw a wobbly the other day. - Недавно Алиса закатила истерику.
Old Nora’s as fit as a fiddle. - Нора, несмотря на преклонный возраст, находится в добром здравии.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Вторник, 26.07.2022, 18:15

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 22.03.2022, 17:57 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
Do you usually take everything as it comes?

I'm a down-to-earth person and that's a very curious question for me.

On the one hand, I find it difficult to KEEP A COOL HEAD while I'm under the stress. It's practically impossible to KEEP YOUR CHIN UP when everything goes wrong. But it's a matter of experience and practice.

On the other hand, I am not able to cope with emotions when I GET CARRIED AWAY. When something really-really happy exciting happens I'm ready to bubble with excitement, and to be AS HAPPY AS LARRY but not to be stable or adequate. For example, I can burst out to crying or begin to speak very loud and it's not controlled.

When my sister was born I was OVER THE MOON: jumping for joy, literally reaching the celling, crying constantly "Hurray" because it was my main childhood dream, how could I take it as for granted?

In conclusion, I would like to say that not only for emotional people it's impossible TO TAKE EVERYTHING AS IT COMES but those who are down-to-earth too.

Translation:

Кажется, она никогда не унывает.
У него грустное лицо.
На днях Алиса закатила истерику.
Старушка Нора находится в полном здравии.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Четверг, 21.07.2022, 20:55

katyadorniakДата: Пятница, 27.05.2022, 03:33 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
Are you easily carried away by things? Give an example.

Am I easily carried away by things? You won't believe how much. It took me at least a night to write an answer to this question. How on earth? Well...

At first I couldn't start it because I felt AS HAPPY AS LARRY, because my friend wrote to me. Then I remembered about cleaning and with a LONG FACE trudged to clean up. I remembered about the task already being A BIT UNDER THE WEATHER from fatigue and dust. I sat down at the table and turned on my laptop, only to find out that my friend THREW A WOBBLY and quarreled with her boyfriend. I did my best to reconcile them, as I was probably the only one who KEPT A COOL HEAD in the situation. I succeeded and was OVER THE MOON. We sat and discussed their upcoming wedding until midnight. We went to bed IN HIGH SPIRITS, and I was appointed a bridesmaid, although I have an exam on the wedding day, and I didn't even finish the answer to the task... And then I looked at my watch and decided TO TAKE EVERYTHING AS IT COMES and go to bed.

Am I easily carried away by things?
I think so...

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 03.06.2022, 00:42 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
3 Describe a situation or event when you were scared stiff

There was a situation in my childhood when I was SCARED STIFF. I don’t remember exactly how old I was, but this memory is still vivid. When I was little, I left my apartment and went outside without adults. I had to wait for them, but I was not a very patient child, so I decided to go first and wait for them downstairs.

When I went out, there was a big dog which started barking at me very loudly. It really FRIGHTENED THE LIFE OUT OF ME. I almost JUMPED OUT MY SKIN, but I was petrified and couldn’t scream or run. Then I started SHAKING IN MY BOOTS. I was SCARED OUT OF MY WITS. It was impossible to KEEP A COOL HEAD and I felt MY HEAD WAS SPINNING. Then my memory goes dark and I don’t remember how it ended. Fortunately, I wasn’t bitten by the dog, but after that situation I had a kind of a phobia of large dogs, now I’m not scared of them anymore.

Похоже, она никогда не вешает нос.
У него был недовольный вид.
Недавно Элис закатила истерику.
Старушка Нора здорова как бык.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Пятница, 03.06.2022, 00:43

posternaksophieДата: Понедельник, 06.06.2022, 12:06 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
She seems to be keeping her chin up.
Она сохраняет присутствие духа
He had a long face.
У нее на лице написано, что она в депрессии.
Alice threw a wobbly the other day.
У Алисы на днях крышу снесло
Old Nora’s as fit as a fiddle.

Старая Нора здорова как лошадь

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 11:26

antonryadinskiДата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 19:13 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник
Do you usually take everything as it comes?

Yes, I usually take everything as it comes. I think that Christianity also calls to do it. There is a proverb: «To take up the cross and bear it». I also wanted to add that you should take everything as it comes with a smile. I think Christianity also teaches so. Of course, it is very difficult, but when the time passes, you understand that it was right. There is also a great meaning to it when something bad happens but we can only overthink it in a while.

Кажется, она не вешает нос.
У был него мрачный вид.
На днях Алиса закатила истерику.
Старушка Нора находится в полном здравии.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 10:43

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 23:53 | Сообщение # 15
Подполковник
2 Describe a situation or event which made you feel on top of the world.

When I was 12, my choreographer entrusted me to choreograph a dance for myself and two other girls from my team.
I was ON CLOUD NINE that day. But at the same time I was SHAKING IN MY SHOES because I understood the responsibility of this hard task. Every day we trained until late
so we all were FEELING DONE IN. I came up with the plot, picked and cut the music, chose the girls who were supposed to dance with me and prepared the costumes.
Before the dance show I was SCARED STIFF and everybody asked me why did i LOOK I looked A BIT UNDER THE WEATHER. But I was only 12. And that was my first own performance. Everything went amazing and I felt ON TOP OF THE WORLD. I made my choreographer SWELL WITH PRIDE and everybody was IN HIGH SPIRIT that day.

Кажется, она никогда не унывает(не падает духом).
У него был мрачноватый вид
Недавно Алиса закатила истерику.
Нора находится в добром здравии.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 15.06.2022, 18:26

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 49 Emotions and moods
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024