2nd year of study: Autumn 2017
1) THE SACRAMENT OF MARRIAGE, during which MAN AND WIFE ARE COMING TOGETHER after being BLESSED BY THE CHURCH, is one of the most important and touching ORTHODOX MYSTERIES.
2) THE BETROTHAL starts when RINGS ARE FETCHED FROM THE ALTAR and the couple is ready to give ETERNAL PROMISE putting them on their RING FINGERS.
M.O. [(4) 118]
1. It's very easy to go A SIDE-TRACK but TO CONFESS YOUR SINS, try not to repeat them and to SEEK WAYS TO IMPROVE it is not easy.
2. I was so happy when I realized that we were studying MONOPHYSITISM and the Definition of CHALCEDON even a year ago.
А.Т. [(2) 98]
1. I didn't even know that ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM was nicknamed due to the fact that he was A FLUENT AND ELOQUENT PREACHER.
2. I don't remember my niece's Baptism, I only remember, as the GODFATHER said prayers OF RENUNCIATION of THE EVIL ONE AND TURNING TO GOD.
3. I don't know where is my BAPTISMAL ROBE, my BAPTISMAL CROSS I've purposely left at my family home because I'm very afraid of losing it.
4. When my niece was IMMERSED into THE FONT she cried a lot, but then THE NEWLY BAPTISED quickly calmed down.
5. I've always wondered where the priests keep TONSURED TUFTS OF HAIR.
А.Т. [(5,5) 52,75]
1. Our priest likes when the laymen and THE CHOIR sing THE CHERUBIC HYMN together but our choirmaster believes that people should sing only THE CREED and THE "OUR FATHER".
2. After THE FINAL PRAYERS people kiss the cross, take ANTIDORON and sometimes congratulate the communicants.
3. Unfortunately, SINFULNESS is the part of our human nature, but we need to work on ourselves a lot to have the opportunity TO ATTAIN FULL SALVATION.
4. You should be very careful interpreting THE DOCTRINE OF THE TRINITY, because in case of misunderstanding you can DEVIATE INTO ERROR AND HERESY very quickly.
5. I remember our teacher on the Law of God read to us excerpts from THE REVELATION but it was much more easily to understand THE EPISTLES than this book.
А.Т. [(5) 47,25]
1. I was asked by the lecturer about the deep sense of THE COMMUNION, one of THE SACRAMENTS OF THE ORTHODOX CHURCH, on the exam in the liturgical tradition.
2. During the Liturgy parishioners OF THE CHURCH and I UNITED WITH CHRIST and received grace of God through SHARING IN THE COMMUNION to get rid of sin and save the soul.
1. Until recently, I didn’t know what special PREPARATIONS were made by THE CLERGY for the Liturgy within THE SANCTUARY.
2. AT THE TABLE OF OBLATION are placed such items as THE CHALICE, THE SPEAR to cut the five loaves, THE DISKOS, THE STAR, THE SPOON and SMALL VEILS and THE AER.
1. When I was about five years old my grandmother taught me THE «OUR FATHER» and explained THE SHAPE OF THE CONFESSION and THE COMMUNION because then was my first conscious visit to the Liturgy.
2. I very much like the part of the Liturgy when THE PEOPLE PRESENT IN THE CHURCH sing THE CREED all together confirming in that way their faith in the Holy Trinity.
1. Through THE BAPTISM and the CHRISMATION a person becomes A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH and TURNS TO CHRIST RENOUNCING EVIL.
2. THE BAPTISMAL CROSS that every Cristian always wears is a sign of FOLLOWING CHRIST.
1. Every time when I have a big day I ASK THE PRIEST FOR A BLESSING.
2. When I was just a child, unfortunately, I didn’t take THE CONFESSION seriously, only now I begin to understand the value of true REPENTANCE, that really CHANGES OUR HEART, LEADS IT TO FORGIVENESS and HEALING.
М.Ч. [(14) 80]
1. If I had been NAMED ON the eighth day after birth, I would have been called Ulyana.
2. My mother is a GODMOTHER of my cousin.
1. For seven years, beginning from 2001, I was a PARISHIONER at St. Sergius Church in Irkutsk.
2. Our priests place their STOLES over PENITENTS’ heads not only while saying the PRAYERS OF ABSOLUTION but also while penitents CONFESS their SINS.
И.M. [(2,5) 94]
The MARRIAGE is an important and exciting sacrament because it is the ETERNAL PROMISE AND UNION.
2. Each action during the sacrament is a symbol, e.g. MARRIAGE CROWNS symbolise the MAN AND his WIFE as the king and the queen of their family.
3. To be married means DENYING ONESELF FOR THE OTHER and not just having fun with each other.
4. The fact that the Greak word "WITNESS" means "MARTYR" amazed me because there is something significant hidden beneath it.
5. Actually, in Russian there was the equivalent for the English word "THE RING FINGER" - "the Golden Finger"(златоперст). But I don't know why it has become the "unnamed" one.
M.A. [(3,5) 111]
Fasting and praying are traditional preparations for being a GODFATHER and a GODMOTHER.
THE BEHALF of his godparents the child gets God's blessing.
The priest child in the FONT.
The FONT is filled with holy water.
My grandma sewed me THE BAPTISMAL ROBE.
During the Chrismation the person is being anointed with the CHRISM.
After baptism the person has a SEAL OF THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
The NEWLY BAPTISED have to take communion on the next days after the sacrament.
I have kept the BAPTISAL CROSS since my childhood.
The author of the EPISTLE OF JAMES identifies himself as a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.
One theme of the PETER 1 is duties of spouses.
Only in the first verses of the epistle of JOHN the writer indirectly makes himself known as a witness and eyewitness of the events of the earthly life of the Lord Jesus Christ.
PRIEST'S HAND CROSS is usually kissed after the preaching.
GODFATHER and GODMOTHER have to be separated persons.
The text of the EPISTLE OF THE HEBREWS is traditionally attributed to Paul the Apostle.
А.К. [(4) 34]
One of the three chief furnishings of the Holy of the Tabernacle and the Temple - the SEVEN-BRANCHED CANDLESTICK.
Priests use ALTAR LOAVES in the sanctuary to prepare Holy Communion.
The SPOON is a liturgical implement used to give Holy Communion to the laity during the Divine Liturgy.
We use COMMEMORATION BOOKS to remind God about alive and deceased baptised people.
Our church owns several RELICS of revered SAINTS.
The STAR is the object of church utensils which symbolizes the star of Bethlehem.
TWO SMALL VEILS - two small cloth covers which cover the chalice and diskos separately.
The name of a large cloth board which covers the Chalice and the diskos together is the LARGE VEIL.
The TABERACLE is a portable chalice for the storage of the Holy Gifts.
There are seven OIL LAMPS which are on the communion table in the sanctuary.
The table of oblation is a place in the church where the proskomedia takes place.
In the first part of the Liturgy, PROSKOMIDIA, a sacrifice is being prepared for the celebration of the Eucharist: bread and wine.
The CHALICE is an important piece of church's utensils.
The sacred vessel which looks like a dish for the bread, the Body of Christ, is called DISKOS.
The veil with a part of the relics of an Orthodox holy martyr sewn into it and the signature of the ruling bishop is called ANTIMINS.
А.К. [(6,5) 50,75]
1. The main purpose of the COUNTER-REFORMATION was to restore the position and prestige of the Roman Catholic Church and also, in those days, such movement as SCHOLASTICISM was present side by side.
2. THE FESTAL MENANION contains the variable texts for all the services of the Twelve Great Feasts of Christ and the Mother of God.
1. THEOLOGICAL COLLEGES were very widely developed in the 19th century in Europe and America.
2. THE LEVANT is a historical area in the Middle East, located along the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea, and its name takes origins from the French phrase Soleil levant – “the rising Sun”.
1. "Jacobite" Church or Church of Syria was one of the five MONOPHYSITE Churches which were the result of the Church separation in the 5th and 6th centuries.
2. THE undertaking OF MISSIONARY WORK was a very influential process in the 9th century that spread to such countries as Russia, Bulgaria and Serbia.
1. One of the most important aspect of
the Orthodoxy is the UNITY IN THE FAITH AND COMMUNION IN THE SACRAMENTS.
2. The Orthodox Church is not just an organization of Orthodox people, first and foremost it is THE CHURCH OF CHRIST ON EARTH.
1. THE DAY OF PENTECOST is one of the most solemn and beautiful services of the year that is performed in Orthodox churches.
2. Saint Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, who
had traveled to Rome to be martyred in the 2nd century, wrote that THE CELEBRATION of THE EUCHARIST is "THE MEDICINE OF IMMORTALITY".
1. THE PONTIFICAL LITURGY is served according to the Roman rite, but with elements of the Byzantine rite, and earlier it included the old millennial ceremony of the Papal coronation.
2. Before the Church became “ESTABLISHED”, for some time, in the 3rd century it had been SUFFERING PERSECUTION from the pagans.
1.The purpose of THE COUNCIL OF JERUSALEM, according to Acts, was to resolve a disagreement in Antioch, which had wider effects than just circumcision, since circumcision is the eternal sign of the Abrahamic Covenant.
2. As the story goes, the first Roman Emperor who EMBRACED THE CHRISTIAN FAITH, was Constantine, and it happened as a result of his vision in the sky.
1. Most expressions of PAGAN RITES are magical, which is to say, they promote the use of individual or communal ritual practices to effect personal and environmental change, particularly changes in consciousness.
2. One purpose of THE COUNCIL OF NICAEA was to resolve disagreements arising from within the Church of Alexandria over the nature of the Son in his relationship to the Father.
1. To the deep regret,
THE DEVIATION INTO ERROR AND HERESY had been often happened among the people during THE FIRST SIX COUNCILS.
2. THE SALVATION OF MAN was the most important issue discussed at the Councils in the centuries from the 4th to the 7th.
1. Originally spread in the eastern provinces of the Late Roman Empire, ARIANISM became the state version of Christianity under the successors of Constantine the Great until the end of the reign of Valentine II.
2. Archimandrite Eutychius, the creator of MONOPHYSITE doctrine, was condemned for heresy by the Council of Constantinople in 448.
1. TRINITARIAN DOCTRINE means that there is one God who eternally exists as three distinct Persons – the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
2. The Eastern Orthodox Church commemorates SAINT JOHN CHRYSOSTOM as a "Great Ecumenical Teacher", with Basil the Great and Gregory the Theologian.
М.К. [(12) 60]
1. We don't cross ourselves when the priest give us A GESTURE OF BLESSING during the service.
2. Everyone is trying to achieve ETERNAL life of the soul in Heaven.
3. One of the most terrible sins is to take the Holy Communion without ASKING THE PRIEST FOR A BLESSING.
4. My mother stores the BAPTISMAL BOX from my childhood.
5. It's a big event for me to be a COMMUNICANT.
6. We read The Acts written by the Christ's DISCIPLES.
Э.К. [(2,5) 34]
1) My grandfather and me were BAPTISED and given STRENGTH FOR LIVING OF A CHRISTIAN LIFE at the same time, so two FONTS for our IMMERSION were near to each other, so in this way, I believe, there is a strong connection between me and him, as we DEDICATED our lives TO GOD together.
2) Unfortunately, some people think CONFESSION is just a kind of talk between an ordinary person and the bishop, so they even don't realise the importance of REPENTANCE and FORGIVENESS, they really believe the bishop is like a psychologist who can listen and then give a piece of APPROPRIATE ADVICE.
3) When you CONFESS YOUR SINS being a PENITENT in a church and then hear the bishop reading PRAYERS OF ABSOLUTION, you feel something like HEALING of your soul.
4) After my grandpa dressed in a special BAPTISMAL ROBE, was washed with water BLESSED IN A FONT, took his BAPTISMAL CROSS and became a NEWLY BAPTISED, his CHRISMATION started: he was ANOINTED WITH CHRISM from the BAPTISMAL BOX and CARRIED THREE TIMES AROUND THE FONT.
5) After BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH as he RENOUNCED EVIL AND TURNED TO CHRIST, he clearly felt THE DIVINE PRESENCE.
6) Several days ago I was in a church during one child's BAPTISM and saw he was BROUGHT FOR SACRAMENTS and PRAYERS OF NAME-GIVING WERE SAID, and in that moment the bishop IMMERSED HIM THREE TIMES IN WATER with important words: "IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT", - and then, DRIED the CHILD WITH A TOWEL.
M.O. [(12) 82]
1. After confession the priest puts the STOLE on the head of the penitent.
2. The PENITENT has to prepare for the confession.
3. Сonfession helps to RELEASE PEOPLE’s SINS.
4. We receive INSTRUCTIONS during our confession.
5. The priest says the prayer of ABSOLUTION at the end of confession.
The Christ has the HUMANITY and DIVINITY in one nature person.
7. If person wants to inherit the Heavenly Kingdom he must lead righteous life.
8. We know that ICONS ARE VENERATED, NOT WORHIPPED.
9. Some Bibles use words in ITALICS to show the specific translation of these words.
10. The Resurrection of Christ shows Him to be the TRUE GOD.
11. When we want to speak with our friend during the service we go to the NARTHEX.
12. The NON-ORTHODOX can’t understand some traditions of the religion.
13. I have
the TRYPTICH ICONS in my car.
14. The LAST RITES were given by the Christ before his Ascension.
15. HIS BEATITUDE blessed us after the service.
А.К. [(5) 44,25]
1. My favourite prayer in the everyday evening rule is number 7 which was written by THE BISHOP OF CONSTANTINOPLE, SAINT JOHN CHRYSOSTOM, "JOHN OF THE GOLDEN MOUTH".
2. I feel an inexpressible feeling of gracious relief when the priest PLACES HIS STOLE OVER MY HEAD, AND SAYS THE PRAYERS OF ABSOLUTION by which I am RELEASED FROM MY SINS.
3. It is so hard to fulfil REPENTANCE in the full meaning of this word: changing of your mind. People often only weep over their sins during CONFESSION but unfortunately several days later (or even the next day) they cease to control themselves and repeat everythig they have just wept over.
4. I have read recently that the tradition to KISS THE HAND CROSS AND THE GOSPEL after CONFESSION dates back to the times when people swore an oath doing the same thing. We are making the promise not to sin and to follow Christ while we are touching these SACRED things.
5. DEIFICATION is not something unachievable and impossible for us - God is merciful and is willing to save everybody, the only thing He needs is our faith and our agreement to live according to His will.
M.A. [(5,5) 60]
1. To be a GODFATHER or a GODMOTHER is an utterly important mission as you are responsible for
your godchild before God.
2. I am the GODMOTHER of my little niece. Her GODFATHER and I ANSWERED FOR HER WHEN SHE WAS ASKED TO RENOUNCE EVIL AND TURN TO CHRIST. We also read THE CREED ON BEHALF OF the baby.
3. I've read an interesting fact that A BABY'S BAPTISMAL ROBE is considered to be a relic and some mothers put it under the baby's pillow when he/she is ill.
4. My godchild didn't cry despite the fact that she was only over a month old when the priest IMMERSED HER THREE TIMES IN THE WATER IN THE FONT.
5. My little niece always WEARS THE BAPTISMAL CROSS despite that her mother is told that she feels uncomfortable or she can hurt herself with the cross.
M.A. [(3,5) 54,5]
1. The MATTHEW Gospel was written by one of the twelve apostles of Jesus.
2. In the ACTS disciples showed us how Jesus Christ little by little shared with them how he looked at life.
3. According to Christian tradition MARK is one of the four Evangelists.
4. JOHN was the favorite disciple of the Christ.
5. The life of Christ in the Gospel of LUKE is described mainly on the historical side: the story is characterized by a thoroughness and detail.
6. COMMUNICANTS were staying in queue waiting for their turn.
7. After taking holy communion the MOUTH is usually WIPED BY CLOTH.
8. Our church is supported by the CONGREGATION.
9. We have to cross our hands on the breast before Communion in order not to UPSET THE CHALICE.
10. We are taking the PRECIOUS BODY in the name of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
11. This evening after service a large amount of people LINED UP in order to confess their sins.
12. People are addressing their PETITIONS to
the God in prayer.
13. The most EXPEDINT prayer for all cases of life is Psalm 50.
14. The church was CENSED by spiritual fragrances from Jerusalem.
15. The 12 disciples and Jesus Christ came together in the UPPER ROOM to celebrate the Easter.
16. We are singing the CHERUBIC HYMN every Liturgy.
17. We can see the RANKS OF ANGELS in the icons of the Last Judgment.
18. Sometimes I forgot to read PRAYERS OF THANKSGIVING.
19. During Easter time the HOLY DOORS are opened at all the services.
20. A SERMON in our parish is usually preached after the liturgy of catechumens.
21. The RELEVATION is the last book of the New Testament.
22. Both epistles of PETER – the first and the second are addressed to a wide circle of
23. Although the author of the epistle does not call himself by name, there is almost no doubt that it was written by the author of the Gospel of JOHN.
24. The EPISTLE OF JAMES has a purpose of the message to teach and encourage believers, reproach and awaken to merciful actions.
25. JUDE is the shortest epistle of all in the New Testament.
26. The EPISTLE TO THE HEBREWS does not mention in the first verses
of the author of the epistle, so the traditional version assumes the authorship of the apostle Paul.
27. Andrew Rublew depicted the amazing image of the LIFE GIVING TRINITY.
28. "Our Father" is the most important conversation with God.
29. I am used to reading EPISTLES thrice a week since my childhood.
30. CORINTHIANS 1 and 2 are written by St. Paul.
А.К. [(13) 39,25]
1. I get goose bumps when I hear the CHERUBIC HYMN in the church.
2. I often mention THE LIFE-GIVING TRINITY in my prayers.
3. ULTIMATELY, I can't chose where I'd like to live : in Moscow or in Krasnodar.
4. The CONDEMNATION must begin with ourselves, not others.
5.I have been present at СHRISMATION only 2 or 3 times in my life, unfortunately, I do not even remember how it was.
6.I know THE SHAPE OF THE LITURGY well because I sang in the church choir.
7. I know a lot of LITANIES of Liturgy by heart.
1. Many priests wrote PETITIONS for my father to be ordained.
2. I'm a MEMBER OF THE CONGREGATION of the Protection of the Theotokos temple.
3. I cannot always keep the fast.
4. Our thoughts are not always appropriate during the service.
1.I have the CONVICTION that every soul can be saved.
2. In BAPTISM my name is Maria.
Э.К. [(4) 16,75]
1) After bishop's SERMON about LIFE-GIVING TRINITY the CHOIR started to sing "OUR FATHER" as it was time for reading PRAYERS OF THANKSGIVING after the Liturgy of the Presanctified GIFTS.
2) When I entered the room, I saw my mother who said "ALLELUIA" trice after reading of PSALMS and then we together started to sing "THE CREED" and felt we WERE BLESSED by God.
3) Last time I partook in the mysteries I saw a woman who was handing out antidoron to all COMMUNICANTS and telling one girl that HOLY SPIRIT CAME UPON this kind of bread after the LAMB had been removed from it, so everybody should always be very careful with this holy object.
M.O. [(2,5) 70]
1. I ENTERED the CHURCH through BAPTISM and CHRISMATION when I was six years old.
2. Every day I OFFER PRAYERS for my parents, relatives and all Orthodox Christians.
3. Through CONFESSION and COMMUNION we achieve UNION with God.
И.M. [(3) 47]
1. It is a rather peculiar thing that every priest in our church can preach a SERMON very well. I mean that their words make clear the meaning of the feasts, encourage parisheners to keep Christ's commandments and seek help from God.
2. My favourite chant of the CHERUBIC HYMN is Obikhodny. Every time I hear it goose bumps start running over me.
3. Today there was an unforgetable service in the memory of St. Tichon. The huge CHOIR which consisted of the students from all faculties ascended a soul of every faithful to the heavens.
4. An inexplicably magnificent feeling pervades me when all people in the church are singing the prayer "OUR FATHER".
5. Truth be told, I do not understand how the non-Christians can live without the LIFE-GIVING TRINITY. I believe that it is rather difficult.
M.A. [(3) 51]
1) When I was a child I thought RECEIVING COMMUNION is just an EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE as everything is so beautiful, solemn and ceremonial (and LOAVES and wine are very tasty), but now I know it's the CENTRAL MYSTERY OF THE CHURCH which has a DEEP SENSE OF UNITY WITH CHRIST who established this HOLY EVENT in the UPPER ROOM surrounded by his DISCIPLES.
2) My grandmother who is a nun bakes bread for THE LITURGY and after it's consecrated with Holy water she brings it every morning to MEMBERS OF THE CONGREGATION with a strong belief that HOLY SPIRIT has been SENT DOWN ON it.
3) I remember being a child and LINING UP FOR THE COMMUNION I CROSSED MY ARMS OVER THE CHEST strongly pressing them to each other as I was afraid of UPSETTING THE CHALICE.
4) It took a lot of time to teach my godson to pronounce his name properly before the priest would GIVE COMMUNION WITH A SPOON TO HIM, but eventually he did everything in the right way and even didn't forget to KISS THE CHALICE after his MOUTH WAS WIPED WITH A CLOTH.
M.O. [(7) 67,25]
1) Two weeks ago after I PARTOOK IN THE MYSTERIES a bishop gave a LOAF from which several pieces were taken during the PROSKOMIDIA IN THE MEMORY OF THE DEPARTED and of those who were the first FOUNDERS of the Church.
2) On the 1st of November my friend Mary became a wife of a man who just a year ago was a NON-ORTHODOX, but after changing his VISION and RELIGIOUS CONVICTION and SHARING IN such SACRAMENTS as BAPTISM, CHRISMATION and COMMUNION he agreed to PARTAKE in the MYSTERY OF MARRIAGE.
M.O. [(6) 60,25]
1. It's hard to ask God TO FULFIL not only what we want but what will be EXPEDIENT for us.
2. As COMMUNICANTS, we have to be careful approaching the priest not TO UPSET the chalice.
А.Т. [(2) 42,25]
1. «CHRIST IS RISEN» we sing full of joy. The joy that I feel in this service makes me cry softly, because I am INCLINED TO BE IMPRESSED by such things.
2. Last year we were lucky to study all the Church’s teaching upon the FUNDAMENTAL DOCTRINES of the CHRISTIAN FAITH at our university.
3. Our parish has its own traditions so it is really significant to CARRY them through years.
И.M. [(1,5) 44]
1. I try to receive ANOINTING every year during HOLY WEEK, after that I necessarily receive Holy Communion.
2. A few days ago I conducted the choir at the service, and after that the priest gave me THE LOAF, PARTICLES from which were taken FOR THE LIVING.
А.Т. [(2,5) 40,25]
1. By God's grace I was in Jerusalem several years ago. There were lots of tourists when we entered the UPPER ROOM but nevertheless we felt the grace of the place where the central MYSTERY of the Church - COMMUNION - had been established by Christ Himself.
2. Once I
have read an amazing story about the Lanchansky miracle. The story tells about a priest who doubted that the bread and wine become the PRECIOUS BODY and PRECIOUS BLOOD of Christ as outwardly they remain unchanged. So God showed the miracle: during the CONSECRATION OF THE GIFTS the priest saw that the bread visibly became a thin section of Flesh, reminding muscle tissue of the human body, and the wine turned into thick red liquid - Blood.
3. One day I was asked by my priest to WIPE the COMMUNICANTS' MOUTHS WITH A CLOTH as our only SERVER was ill.
4. In our parish PROSPHORAS are not on sale at the CANDLE DESK but they are given to the parishioners after KISSING THE CROSS.
5. It is important to understand that God does not fulfil all our PETITIONS as they may not be EXPEDIENT for us.
M.A. [(6,5) 48]
1. In our family no single member IMPOSES his/her WILL upon the rest. We are UNITED in love, HARMONY and UNAMITY.
2. After a Church service the world seems to me TRANSFIGURED.
3. The Christmas is coming only in two months but I already ANTICIPATE what it would be like this year.
4. Especially during the great Lent it is important to me to PARTAKE IN MYSTERIES such as COMMUNION, ANOINTING WITH OIL and CONFESSION. I VENTURE to speak with
the confidence that I FREE myself from my EVIL DESIRES when I’m in PENANCE AND REPENTANCE.
И.M. [(6) 42,5]
1. JUDAS ISCARIOT betrayed
the Jesus Christ.
2. In Judaism ABRAHAM is the founding father of the special relationship between the Jewish people and God.
3. It was prophesied to the patriarch Abraham that he would have a son and that his name should be ISAAC.
4. ELIJAH was a prophet and a miracle worker; God performed many miracles through him.
5. According to Holy Scripture JACOB agreed to work seven years for Rachel, so he worked seven years for the hand of his true love.
6. All Christians know the story in the Bible where Jesus is TRANSFUGERED and becomes radiant in glory upon a mountain.
7. We are studying THE SACRAMENTS OF the CHURCH at our theological classes.
8. Now we’re taking part in the translation of the book about ORDINATION TO THE VARIOUS DEGREES OF THE PRIESTHOOD.
9. ANOINTING WITH OIL is often used as a symbol for the Holy Spirit in the Bible as in the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins.
10. Christianty has plenty of RITES which are passed from generation to
11. There are too many deep CONVICTIONS among parishioners of old generations about church rules, some of them are wrong according to the words of priests.
12. The priests demand from their “children” one very necessary thing - SHARING IN THE SACRAMENTS.
13. God has declared that our sins have separated us from Him so we need to make RECONCILIATION with God.
14. Mere mortals can't foresee the future but we know that prophets own this blessed gift.
15. Every HOLY WEEK members of the church are trying to partake in the mysteries with reverence.
А.К. [(7) 26,25]
CENSING is performed by priests in the most solemn places of worship.
SOLEA was usually decorated with elegant and expensive marbles.
THE GIFTS for HOLY COMMUNION are prepared on THE TABLE OF OBLATION.
The HOLY OF HOLIES was constructed as a perfect cube, it contained only the Ark of the Covenant, the symbol of Israel’s special relationship with God. The HOLY OF HOLIES was accessible only to the Israelite high priest.
Although different religions may PREACH similar moral standards and values, differences between religions can be very real and distinct.
The DIVINE LITURGY begins with the priest lifting THE GOSPEL BOOK high and making the SIGN Of CROSS with it over the ALTAR.
DEUTEROCANONICAL is the term is used in contrast to the "protocanonical books", which are contained in the Hebrew Bible.
The term CHRISMATION comes about because it involves ANOINTING the recipient of the sacrament with CHRISM.
MARRIAGE in a CHURCH, in front of God, is very important.
The most important surviving version of 1 MACCABEES is the Greek translation contained in the SEPTUAGINT.
The PENTATEUCH was translated from Hebrew into Greek as part of the SEPTUAGINT, the Greek OLD TESTAMENT. This was the Bible of the early Christian CHURCH.
М.Т. [(9) 24]
1. PARTAKING IN THE SACRAMENT of Eucharist is a miracle for me as sometimes I decide to prepare to the Holy Communion spontaneously and after the Liturgy I feel inexpressible happiness and God's Mercy on me.
2. ANOINTING WITH OIL is a wonderful sacrament during which I feel as if I am gradually being healed by the Grace of God.
3. Everyone is called to prepare themselves for TRANSFIGURATION by repentance, fasting and prayer.
4. Is is extremely important to understand that THE DEPARTED need our prayers for them greatly.
5. JACOB was merciful to his brother who was angry with JACOB. That was one of the reasons for their RECONCILIATION. We should tend to be as merciful and wise as JACOB.
M.A. [(3) 41,5]
1. Very likely I won’t be able to forget our sleepless nights last June when we were preparing for our LITURGY exam. We learnt by heart the names of the items which are kept on THE HOLY TABLE AND THE TABLE OF OBLATION, also the names of the ALTAR LOAVES.
2. I would desire to have a look at seven-branched candlesticks.
И.M. [(2,5) 36,5]
1) When the love to God PREVAILS in your soul over other feelings, you become ENDURING and ready to UNDERGO a MULTITUDE of spiritual and physical difficulties, to struggle with EVIL DESIRES and SUFFER TOIL IN PENANCE and REPENTANCE.
2) Recently I read in a book about THE SERVICE OF PREPARATION and learnt that it's impossible to start CELEBRATING
THE SERVICE holy Liturgy without placing an ANTIMINS or ANTIMENSION over THE HOLY TABLE as it symbolises THE BURIAL OF CHRIST, Who sacrificed Himself for us, and without, of course, THE GOSPEL BOOK, THE CROSS, A SEVEN-BRANCHED CANDLESTICK and THE TABERNACLE.
M.O. [(8) 54,25]
1. To my shame, I don't remember the name of the Saint whose RELIC is sewn into the ANTIMENSION at the altar of our Church.
2. The PROSKOMIDIA is served by a priest or Bishop at the altar on THE TABLE OF OBLATION.
3. On the table of oblation next to the SMALL VEILS there are the COMMEMORATION BOOKS, but now priests use sheets of paper with the names of laymen written on them.
4. Since there are a lot of people in our Church, the priests usually use three CHALICES for the Eucharist.
А.Т. [(3,5) 37,75]
1. In many churches the sermon is preached immediately after the READING OF THE GOSPEL and then the deacon RECITES THE LITANY.
2. At Christmas in our Church there are always two Christmas trees in front of THE SOLEA, and the priest leaves the altar and goes to THE AMBO, where he PREACHES, standing between these trees.
3. Truth be told, I like when the priest or deacon CENSES the Church, because I can smell a pleasant FRAGRANCE emanating from THE CENSER.
А.Т. [(3,5) 34,25]
1. When I start to complain about my life, I remember that I should TAKE UP MY CROSS AND FOLLOW CHRIST.
2. In the prayer of Saint Ephrem the Syrian, we ask God TO GRANT us the spirit of chastity, humility, patience and love, and make 3 prostrations at the beginning of the prayer, 12 BOWS in the middle and 1 prostration at the end.
3. If we don't ASK GOD TO BLESS OUR THOUGHTS AND DEEDS, and to help us cope with life's difficulties, in the end we can PERISH.
4. I feel bad when I read about THE CHRIST'S DEATH ON THE CROSS, nevertheless I know that then will be THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST and everything will be fine.
5. We know that CHRIST has TWO NATURES: DIVINE AND HUMAN, while the Monophysites believed that Christ has only the DIVINE NATURE.
А.Т. [(4) 30,75]
VESPERS is traditionally served in the early evening.
A church was filled with the smell of INCENSE.
A SWEET SPIRITUAL FRAGRANCE in the church
that will conjure up relief.
The TABLE OF OBLATION is a table in the altar area of the church building which is used for the preparation of the bread and wine used at the liturgy.
Every morning we RECITE THE LITANIES for salvation and then prayers for
А.К. [(2,5) 19,25]
1. There is always A TRYPTICH ICON in our family’s car. It protects our way during different journeys.
2. When I had obedience in A CHURCH last year I helped to clean and LIGHT LAMPS.
3. I MADE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS and VENERATED THE RELICS of the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Tikhon not long ago.
1. A priest who BLESSED ME WITH THE SIGN OF THE CROSS after the Divine Liturgy heard me out very carefully and put on the straight and narrow in my THOUGHTS AND DEEDS.
2. When I was about a year old I was baptized and WORE A SMALL CROSS AROUND THE NECK.
3. I, like other ORTHODOX CRISTIANS, ask God TO GRANT LOVE IN MY HEART in order to lead a righteous and godly life.
1. When I entered the temple I breathed A SWEET SPIRITUAL FRAGRANCE of INCENSE and forgot about all worries and troubles of the worldly life.
2. A fervent PRAYER of my mother helped me miraculously to cope with some difficulties.
3. A friend of mine was reciting PRAYERS RISING UP TO GOD at VESPERS when I suddenly met him after many years.
1. My aunt made a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and brought our family A CONSECRATED CROSS depicting the crucifixion of Jesus Christ with the particle of THE HOLY land.
2. Last summer when my family and I were in THE HOLY place which is called Kurskaya Korennaya Pustyn we TOOK COMMUNION
of THE HOLY mysteries during THE LITURGY and also visited all sacred springs there.
3. I learnt about ITEMS which are kept ON THE HOLY TABLE and ON THE TABLE OF THE LITURGY during exam preparation for Liturgical Tradition.
М.Ч. [(6,5) 29]
1. There is an icon of Saint Nicholas with A RELIC OF the saint.
2. My little niece likes ALTAR LOAVES very much. Our priest nearly always gives her a big ALTAR LOAF from the altar.
3. In my opinion, every person should have a COMMEMORATION BOOK, but, to tell the truth, I do not usually use it as I commemorate their names by heart.
4. My mother told me that I CENSED our flat using a thing which was similar to a CENSER.
5. As for me, AN ICON CORNER is the most important thing in our flat. I take care of it with REVERENCE.
M.A. [(3,5) 38,5]
1. I often tried to look to the INNERMOST place of the SANCTUARY in my childhood during the SERVICE in the temple, because women are forbidden to go there and I always wondered what was there.
2. My favourite FRAGRANCE of INCENSE is Jerusalem.
Э.К. [(2) 12,75]
1. When I was a child, I was always interested in a CENSER: how does it work? What RELEASES THAT PERFUMED SMOKE INTO THE AIR? As a result I always tried to look inside when Father Eugene CENSED THE CHURCH.
2. Our priest allowed one of our woman-cleaners and helpers to go into «THE HOLY OF HOLIES».
И.M. [(2) 34]
1) Yesterday, during the CELEBRATION OF THE LITURGY I saw a SERVER burn a piece of CHARCOAL, place some INCENSE on the top of the CENSER and give it to the PRESBYTER.
2) When the priest in our local CHAPEL went out of the SANCTUARY and started TO CENSE THE CHURCH during the WORSHIP, all the parishioners felt a wonderful and sweet FRAGRANCE of trees and flowers.
3) After the RECITING of LITANIES the priest went out of THE ALTAR to read the GOSPEL standing on the AMBO and then returned to THE TABLE OF OBLATION to CONSECRATE THE BREAD AND WINE for CELEBRATING THE EUCHARIST.
M.O. [(7) 46,25]
1. Everyone knows the words of Christ: "TAKE UP your CROSS AND FOLLOW ME", but actually not many people do it without complaining.
2. It is impossible to get to know the mystery of THE THREE PERSONS OF THE TRINITY, despite lots of attempts.
3. LAMENTATIONS is a really inspiring book, I mean Jeremiah's love of people.
4. There is a captivating moment in DANIEL about the statue.
5. The union of THE TWO NATURES OF CHRIST: DIVINE AND HUMAN is the mystery for us, sinners.
1. I like very much the moment of CENSING during services.
2. FRAGRANCE OF INCENSE always helps me during my praying.
3. There is a deacon in my town who RECITES LITANIES in a magnificent voice.
4. A candle is our small OFFERING to God.
5. Truth be told, FERVENT prayers always happen at night.
M.A. [(4,5) 35]
Our new PROTODEACON was ordained PRIEST on feast of Holy Trinity.
Due to taking part in HOLY COMMUNION a person can join the HOLY MYSTERY.
During one's lifetime a person can take part in five MYSTERIES: BAPTISM, CHRISMATION, CONFESSION, HOLY COMMUNION, ANOINTING WITH OIL, and other two are not so necessary and common – MARRIAGE and ORDINATION INTO PRIESTHOOD.
The seat of THE ARCHBISHOP OF KARELIA AND ALL FINLANDIS IN KUIOPIO.
Light of Orthodoxy was brought to the country by Russian missionary priest monk, after that ORTHDOX CHURCH OF JAPAN began its development.
The influence of the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH upon history is more than of any other organization.
The CHURCH OF SINAI consists of no more than the monastery on Mount Sinai, and due to efforts of THE ARCHBISHOP OF THE SINAI it enjoys independence.
We visited CHURCH OF CYPRUS and took part in Divine Liturgy on our holidays three years ago.
Before starting the journey to the Holy Land, pilgrims from Russia are present at an audience with HIS BEATITUDE PATRIARCH OF THE HOLY LAND AND ALL PALESTINE, and receive his blessing.
THE CHURCH OF GREECE is one of the churches which make up the communion of Eastern Orthodox Christianity.
Jesus' right hand in Icons is shown as being raised to make A GESTURE OF BLESSING.
In our Church, the most common form is the so-called THREE-BAR CROSS, consisting of the usual crossbeam, a shorter crossbeam above that and another crossbeam below, the last one is slanted.
Accepting a feeble and sick body that ties you to one place and steals your many joys - that means that you ARE TAKING up YOUR CROSS.
I take my first step towards ETERNITY by receiving Holy Communion.
We can simply explain CHRIST's NATURE - Jesus is not half God and half man. He is fully divine and fully man.
VENEARATE his name and obey him in all things.
I'm standing in the centre of the NAVE in front of the SANCTUARY.
I used to make THE SIGN OF THE CROSS casually as a nice gesture for beginning and ending my prayers.
What is the significance of the HOLY DOORS?
We prayed before the ICON OF THE MOTHER OF GOD beseeching her to grant forgiveness for our sins.
А.К. [(13) 16,75]
1. My mother always says that everyone has their own CROSS and they should TAKE it UP and PRAY WITH THE WHOLE BEING.
2. Sometimes I can get easily irritated. When it happens, I ask God TO GRANT love in my heart and BLESS my DEEDS AND THOUGHTS. Then I BOW and TOUCH THE GROUND three times.
И.M. [(3) 32]
1) One of my friends, who is a very religious person, FREQUENTLY uses phrases FROM THE LETTER TO THE CORINTHIANS written by THE HOLY APOSTLE PAUL and prefers to say "KING OF GLORY" speaking about JESUS CHRIST.
2)Several days ago the priest of our cathedral in Lipetsk during his PREACHING after SERVING THE DIVINE LITURGY, developed the theme about THREE PERSONS OF THE TRINITY - FATHER, SON AND HOLY SPIRIT - and about the symbolical meaning of WEARING SMALL CROSSES AROUND OUR NECKS, as this understanding helps us in BEING ONE and FOLLOWING CHRIST together.
3) To be honest, only studying at St. Tikhon`s Orthodox University gave me an opportunity to know more about HUMAN AND DIVINE NATURES OF CHRIST who "TRAMPLED DOWN DEATH BY DEATH" as, unfortunately, I wasn't knowledgeable about it before.
M.O. [(6,5) 39,25]
1. I always try TO VENERATE THE ICONS when entering the Church.
2. Recently, I have begun reading THE GOSPEL OF MATTHEW.
3. On the SIDE DOORS to the sanctuary the first Martyr, deacon Stephen is depicted.
4. My friend has a birthday in the day of the ANNUNCIATION of the Mother of God.
А.Т. [(2) 26,75]
1. There is an ICON CORNER in each room in our dormitory; as a result everyone has their WINDOW ONTO ETERNITY. ICONS which I have in my room DEPICT saints, the Mother of God and even our Lord’s baptism.
2. My family has TRYPTICH ICONS even from Diveevo. They DEPICT our Lord Jesus Christ, the icon of Theotokos named «Tenderness» and reverend father Seraphim of Sarov. So we often GATHER FOR PRAYER to VENERATE THE SAINTS, the Mother of God and to WORSHIP GOD.
И.M. [(3,5) 9,5]
1) After the Divine Liturgy our family usually GATHERS in the corner of THE NAVE and reads prayers with REVERENCE and gratitude to Christ DEPICTED in the icon in front of us.
2) Several days ago I met a very kind-hearted and shiny person who UNDERTAKES MISSIONARY WORK in Italy and works as an ICONOGRAPHER in the monastery and I was really touched when he presented me the icon of Christ with golden letters IC XC which I SURROUNDED BY white DECORATIVE TOWEL and put in an ICON CORNER in my flat.
3)It makes me relaxed when I notice TRIPTICH ICONS attached to the glove compartment in a cab as I believe it can be the MEDIUM OF MY PRAYER in any case.
M.O. [(4,5) 18]
1) It's very important for all CHRISTIANS to read what EVANGELISTS MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE AND JOHN wrote about the life of Christ from THE ANNUNCIATION to THE RESURRECTION, as HOLY SCRIPTURE contains a lot of ILLUMINATING things.
2) During the trip I had an opportunity TO KISS various ICONS OF SAINTS AND PROPHETS whom I haven't known before, but who are very much VENERATED in CHRISTENDOM.
M.O. [(6,5) 13,5]
1. It was rather curious for me to see the HOLY DOORS without icons of the ANNUNCIATION and the EVANGELISTS in the church of the Gethsemane Skete.
2. I was told that young and unmarried ladies are not allowed to read the book SONG OF SOLOMON.
M.A. [(2) 30,5]
1. Thrice he VENERATED the sacred remains.
2. SONG OF SOLOMON is the canonical book of the Old Testament, written in Biblical Hebrew by king Solomon.
3. THE HOLY DOORS are the central doors of the iconostasis, directly in front of the altar in an Orthodox Church.
4. In the New Testament ARCHANGEL MICHAEL leads God's armies against Satan's forces in the Book of the Revelation, where during the war in heaven he defeats Satan.
5. THE BOOK OF DANIEL is an account of the activities and visions of Daniel, a noble Jew exiled at Babylon.
М.Т. [(2,5) 12,5]
1. SONG OF SOLOMON influenced me very strongly at a certain moment of my life.
2. My father is a PRIEST, so he can PASS THROUGH THE HOLY DOORS.
3.I didn't know before that we should MAKE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS TWICE before we KISS THE ICON.
Э.К. [(2,5) 10,75]
1. In the first months of the existence of our PARISH sanctified in honour of Sergius of Radonezh ordinary curtains served us as the HOLY DOORS.
2. We have been recently told that the EVANGELIST JOHN described events of the initial period, from Christ’s baptism to the departure for Galilee.
И.M. [(1,5) 6]
1. I was taught by my mother to VENERATE icons in this way: MAKE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS TWICE, KISS THE ICON AND MAKE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS AGAIN.
2. In my opinion, it does not matter whether we LIGHT THE CANDLE BOUGHT AT THE CANDLE DESK before or after kissing the icon.
3. Initially it was rather confusing for me to LOOK UPON saints, such as AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY OR PATRICK, not as strangers but as members of our own Church.
4. Sometimes it seems that our priests are VOICES CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS because many people listen to their words, however, do not embody them into reality.
M.A. [(3,5) 8,5]
When we go to CHURCH, first we get to THE NARTHEX, then to THE NAVE, where we can see THE ICONOSTASIS, behind which is THE ALTAR.
THE PATRIARCH OF CONSTANTINOPLE has been designated THE ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH since the sixth century.
М.Т. [(3) 3]
1. When we studied at the Exegesis classes in the first course, we made a study of THE FIRST and THE SECOND SAMUEL.
2. At the Religious Vocabulary class our lecturer told us that the ORTHODOX CHURCH IN AMERICA was founded by emigre clergy from Russia.
М.К. [(1) 19,75]
1. Saint Panteleimon IS venerated by the Russian Orthodox Church as the Great Martyr and Healer.
2. My Christian faith WAS STRENGTHENED even more when I obtained the grace of God.
3. I LIGHTED A CANDLE in front of the icon of the Mother of God.
4. Miraculous healing of the sick person happened through the COMMON PRAYER and faith of his relatives.
М.Ч. [(1,5) 22,6]
1. We, ORTHODOX BELEIVERS, must try to live in a DEEP SPIRITUAL SENSE by the means of SACRAMENTS and THE COMMON PRAYER.
2. I like standing at church right under the DOME OF HEAVEN where the Lord is depicted, because this way I easily LIFT MY MIND UP INTO PRAYER and feel God’s blessing.
И.M. [(2,5) 4,5]
1. The ICON SCREEN of our church is made by the best artists of Togliatti.
2. A lot of icons presented to our archpriest are in the NARTHEX of our Church.
3. We don't often hear what the priest says because the choir is too far from the ALTAR.
4. We tried to study
the SCHOLASTICISM at school, but it was very difficult.
5. To my shame, I've never read the book of NEHEMIAH.
А.Т. [(2,5) 5]
1) When I entered the CHURCH I smelled a wonderful fragrance of INCENSE and saw a gorgeous ICON SCREEN, burning LAMPS and parishioners, LIGHTING CANDLES.
2) I remember that being in Cyprus I visited an old church BUILT IN THE SHAPE OF OCTAGON with one ONION and grey DOME.
M.O. [(3) 7]
1. It took some time for me to realise that everything in Orthodox churches is made to LIFT THE MIND UP INTO PRAYER.
2. I understand that praying to God is the most important deed when we visit churches but LIGHTING THE CANDLES in churches is also of great importance to me.
3. Truth be told, our Merciful God granted me the PARISH which is indeed a SECOND HOME FOR OUR MEMBERS and me, WHERE IT IS EASY AND WELCOMING TO COME.
4. To my mind, NEHEMIAH is a rather touching book of THE OLD TESTAMENT due to the descriptions of his care about those returned from the captivity.
M.A. [(3) 5]
When I was only five years old my grandmother brought me to the CHURCH of Alexander Nevsky where for the first time in my life I received COMMUNION.
All members of my family were BAPTIZED and ANOINTED WITH chrism at a very young age.
Not long ago I went to CONFESSION to my spiritual father.
М.Ч. [(2) 2]
've already learnt all THE SACRAMENTS OF THE CHURCH at school.
2. Yesterday the deacon brought to the choir a whole bunch of Orthodox SERVICE BOOKS.
3. Today in the Liturgy it seemed to us that one of our choir members was allergic to INCENSE.
4. Last year we managed to study only 12 BOOKS OF THE OLD TESTAMENT.
5. A few years ago we met HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH OF MOSCOW AND ALL RUSSIA KIRILL in our school.
А.Т. [(2,5) 2,5]
1. My mother and I were stunned by the beauty and the uniqueness of THE CHURCH of St. Simeon the Canaanite, which is located near the town of New Athos.
2. The Diocese of Saratov and Volsk (with its center in the city of Saratov, which is the administrative center of my region/oblast) is headed by METROPOLITAN Longin.
3. I was surprised that initially in ancient times
THE BETROTHAL and THE MARRIAGE were separate since there were people of high moral standards with a very strong faith.
4. My favorite part of the Divine LITURGY is when everyone is singing The Creed (The Symbol of Faith), which follows THE GREAT ENTRANCE.
E.З. [(3) 36]
1) My grandmother, who was a nun, taught me how TO MAKE the SIGN OF THE CROSS in my early childhood.
2) Being a parishioner I understood that all Christians should know THE SHAPE OF THE LITURGY, which is a very important and special form of WORSHIP in our religious life.
3) Recently I read the interview with a PRIEST who noted that, unfortunately, nowadays a lot of young people don't realize the high importance of
the BETROTHAL and the MARRIAGE at all.
4) There is one ASSISTANT BISHOP in our ARCHDIOCESE in Lipetsk whose name is Euthymius.
5) In June 23, 2013 the ARCHBISHOP of Lipetsk and Elets, whose name was Nikon, was elevated to the rank of METROPOLITIAN during the Divine LITURGY in Trinity Laura of St.Sergius.
M.O. [(4) 4]
1. Our METROPOLITAN of Krasnoyarsk became a MONK in the first week of the LENTEN period receiving the new name of Panteleimon.
2. After receiving the HOLY COMMUNION we should always listen to the THANKSGIVING PRAYERS.
И.M. [(2) 2]
1. In my opinion,
THE MARRIAGE is a great Gift from our Merciful God.
2. Being at THE FUNERAL SERVICES of my relatives some time ago, I could not really comprehend how FUNERALS can be comfort and joy for the relatives of the deceased and how important it is to say PRAYERS FOR THE DEAD.
M.A. [(2) 2]