Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 20 The performance arts: reviews and critiques - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Unit 20 The performance arts: reviews and critiques
readeralexeyДата: Понедельник, 11.09.2023, 21:41 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-лейтенант
Статус: Offline
Talk about a memorable production or a film you particularly liked using words and collocations from the unit. Post illustrations, if possible.

Are you interested in theatre? What are the advantages of theatre over cinema, if any? Do you think theatre will survive in the age of Internet?

What has been your most positive and most negative experience with clowns / comedians / entertainers?

Describe a play / film / performance that was a glowing success and another one that was a total flop. Describe your own and other people's reaction to it. 

Speak about a convincing actor in a film or play, and about someone who was miscast. What do you think makes a good actor?

Have you ever been to an audition?

Do you know any good interpretation of a famous song? If possible, post a link to the original version and the cover.

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Вторник, 12.09.2023, 16:32 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Are you interested in theatre? What are the advantages of theatre over cinema, if any? Do you think theatre will survive in the age of the Internet?

I enjoy going to the theatre and wish I could go more often. I think the superiority of theatre over cinema is that in theatre every performance is unique. Mistakes or improvisations can happen and each performance can be different from the previous one. This gives theatre performances a special character and can make them more exciting for audiences looking for a unique experience.

Theatre as an art has a long history and remains an important part of humanity's cultural heritage. Despite the advent of new entertainment technologies and the internet, theatre continues to exist and attract audiences. One of the main attractions of theatre is the ability to watch actors, musicians, and artists perform live. This creates a unique experience that cannot be recreated on screen. Theatres are often symbols of cultural heritage and national identity. They can represent traditional stories and values, preserving them for future generations. Attending theatre is also a memorable event where people can meet, discuss the performance and share experiences. This creates deeper and more meaningful social connections that are not always available online. Despite competition from the internet and digital entertainment, theatre can still attract audiences and maintain its place in the modern world. Theatres can adapt to changing conditions and use modern technology to attract new audiences and remain relevant.

Добавлено (12.09.2023, 16:44)
---------------------------------------------
At school we often put on plays and our REHEARSALS were quite intense and long. And no matter how tired we were, the APPLAUSE and praise justified our effort and fatigue. Flashbacks to high school performances are very MEMORABLE.

marichernaya911Дата: Четверг, 14.09.2023, 14:58 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Talk about a memorable production or a film you particularly liked using words and collocations from the unit. Post illustrations, if possible.

The last film I watched was "Pollyana". I watched it for the first time, despite the fact it is extremely popular.

There's no gripping plot in the film, no dynamic actions or special effects. Nevertheless, it is bright and memorable. The story is common: an orphan girl comes to her aunt's house in a countryside for living there. Aunt Polly happens to be strict and reserved, but at the same time we see that truely she is very soft-hearted and kind woman, but she keeps some secret, some dramatic story is behind her. And the girl gradually melts the ice of her heart, as well as of all other citizens.

The film is very moving: little Polyanna gives light and warmth to everyone, and all pays her back with the same. The actress who plays Polyanna gives a very good portrayal for this character, she acts very convincingly.

---

Talking about covers on songs, I would like to share one with you. That is the cover on the song of Yuri Visbor "If you leave", in which the text is written on the melody of Jacques Brel - "Ne me quitte pas". This cover is sang by Elena Frolova. I like her interpretation of the song as it is lyrical and moving, and at the same full of strength. The singer lives this song deeply, that is why it sounds so trustworthy.

https://youtu.be/vO9MOx1oBu8?si=-scaqG4uyJIeIVxP

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Четверг, 25.04.2024, 00:22

amasaltsevaДата: Четверг, 14.09.2023, 17:49 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Talk about a memorable production or a film you particularly liked using words and collocations from the unit. Post illustrations, if possible.

Though some people believe “Romeo + Juliet” to be overrated, and  the movie is criticised by many, I absolutely love it. It is pretty long, but it is not tedious and is gripping from start to finish, and my reviews on Baz Luhrmann’s work will always be glowing. To start with, being an adaptation, an interpretation of Shakespearean tragedy - the plot is transferred to 1990-s and the families of the Capulets and Montagues are turned into rival mafia families, Shakespearian language is preserve in the movie, and that’s beautiful. Another thing which has to be mentioned is cast. I believe all the cast to be perfectly convincing. The play of the film stars, young Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes is indeed a great work. As for me, I believe “Romeo + Juliet” to be no doubt a piece of art. The costumes, the way each scene is shot and designed (as visual art work), the camera work are such a delight. And music, of course. At the end of the movie Radiohead’s “Exit music for a film” is played. By the way, that is one of my favourite songs. Long story short, watch the movie. It’s definitely worth it!

Прикрепления: 9103214.webp (203.2 Kb) · 6202778.jpg (875.5 Kb) · 7643132.jpg (99.3 Kb) · 0895036.jpg (64.6 Kb) · 0399040.webp (104.7 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 12.02.2024, 19:36

sensualpie111Дата: Четверг, 28.09.2023, 15:34 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
One of the advantages of theatre over cinema is the immediate connection between the performers and the audience. In a theatre production, the actors are right there before your eyes. This closeness creates a sense of involvement that can be far-fetched in cinema, where scenes are often shot out of sequence and edited together later. In a live theatre performance, every word, every emotion are experienced in real-time, making it a truly memorable experience. The energy and chemistry between performers and the audience create a unique ambiance that can make a theaters more gripping. However, it's essential to acknowledge that theatre isn't without its challenges. A poorly executed production can be a total flop, with no opportunity for retakes or post-production fixes.
In conclusion, I think that the theater will certainly survive in the era of the Internet, because now many people lack live communication with other people, live emotions that the theater provides.

Para Julia

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 16.05.2024, 12:00 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
Are you interested in theatre? What are the advantages of theatre over cinema, if any? Do you think theatre will survive in the age of Internet?

I am interested in theatre indeed. My parents are both actors, so they have taught me to watch good plays since my childhood. This year I went to the theater six times. Last time I went to a modern interpretation of "Anna Karenina", to the play "Серёжа" by Dmitriy Krimov. And I was absolutely amazed by how great everything on the stage was: amazing acting, wonderful humor, hilarious one and moving, so at the same time the situation on the stage was quite sad and terrifying. For me this play was gripping from start to finish. It was a truly memorable play for me.
I suggest that nothing could give you the same emotions as theatre: you are watching a live movie, reading an alive book and will shudder and gasp with delight. So I hope that theatre will survive in the age of the Internet.

----------

1. My friend Harry thinks he has a subtle taste in ART. 2. He is sure, that popular TV series are always OVERRATED and their plots are absolutely HACKNEYED. 3. His mom always says to him: "Harry, your taste in art is a bit RISQUE, how can that boring play be GRIPPING for you?" 4. But Harry doesn't think so, he is sure that GLOWING REVIEWS and APPLAUSE are nothing if he has another opinion. 5. Once we went together to a theatre, where one UP-AND-COMING young actress got a STANDING OVATION as Juliet in "Romeo and Juliet". 6. She was so good, that the whole audience called for several ENCORES after her acting. 7. But my friend sat gloomy, he PANNED and SLATED the play and her acting. 8. What a critic my friend Harry is... I can definitely say that the play and the acting was a MASTERPIECE!

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Суббота, 15.06.2024, 12:18

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 16.05.2024, 12:13 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
Do you know any good interpretation of a famous song? If possible, post a link to the original version and the cover.

In my opinion, some songs are a true masterpiece, without changing anything, but there are occasions when the cover version is even better than the original. If a song is a total flop, artists can express their feelings about the music through the cover. For example, everyone knows the song by Grechka "Love me, love me" ( https://youtu.be/rXjiJC0hXFs?si=nKtlGIVXp-P51Ial ): almost every young girl at the age of 13 or 14 listened to it, but how many of them knew that it was a cover of a very typical song for that time? When I first heard the original version, I was very sad as it didn't share the same vibe with the cover at all. It was even upsetting to listen to, as if my mind was bursting out and the world was crashing into pieces. As I absolutely didn't like the original version of the song. ( https://youtu.be/haK31lYoojU?si=L0bxkFZI8ll6OgzP )
But there are good examples too! I love the song "Something Stupid" by Frank Sinatra ( https://youtu.be/0f48fpoSEPU?si=gpTyKRFptR0LMwbA ), but when I was a child, I heard the cover version by Nicole Kidman and Robbie Williams, and in my opinion, it is just as good as the original. ( https://youtu.be/rtrXxgtYGUw?si=_QmOjjcl1KUhG4wb )

______(доб. 17.05.24)
1) When singing on the stage I always wait for the APPLAUSE after the end. 2) I often find movies that are TOTAL FLOP in my opinion. 3) It is TEDIOUS to watch badly made historical films.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Пятница, 17.05.2024, 11:39

veronikachernykh15Дата: Четверг, 16.05.2024, 12:54 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
The last movie I saw was Gilmore Girls. More precisely, this is not a movie, but a series about the relationship between a mother and a daughter. This is a typical comedy of the 2000s, which touches on the problems of that time, as well as relationships within the family and generational conflict. I can admit that this series was sometimes TEDIOUS. Sometimes I watched it only because I wanted to finish what I've started. But beyond that, there are many attractive aspects to this series. First of all, it is HILARIOUS and TOUCHING. Wit humor is combined with drama, which will be close to any viewer. The most important thing for me in the series was that it motivated me to study and generally be kinder to people. The main character, Rory Gilmore, is a talented girl who dreams of going to Harvard and subsequently becoming a famous journalist. Therefore, there are a lot of philological jokes and discussions about the authors we’ve studied at the university. I think this series will be very MEMORABLE for me, at least because I’ve been watching it for a whole year.

This series also has a sequel, the action ends in 2008 and continues in 2016. But for me, the sequel turned out to be HARROWING, due to the fact that the directors spoiled not only the images of the characters, making them unrealistic, but the atmosphere of antiquity of the 2000s disappeared.

-----------------------

I believe that a lot of films are OVERRATED. While most people consider the film being a MASTERPIECE, I find it TEDIOUS and trivial. The HACKNEYED plot that's  repeated from one film to another is not what I prefer to spend my time on.

Прикрепления: 0140263.webp (60.0 Kb) · 3358816.webp (137.6 Kb) · 5690104.jpg (27.8 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Понедельник, 17.06.2024, 23:56

lisaswan001Дата: Четверг, 16.05.2024, 14:33 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
Talk about a production or a film you particularly liked using words and collocations from the unit. Post illustrations, if possible.

One of my favourite films of all time is «The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society». The screenplay and script are based on the 2008 novel, written by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows. The film is directed by Nike Newell and features a cast of multiple famous actors. The plot is gripping and moving.

What truly captivates me is the film's celebration of literature and its heartwarming message. The film is mostly set in a stunningly beautiful place: an island called Guernsey. It tells a harrowing story of the time of World War 2 when the whole island was under German occupation. Despite this, a group of people even in those terrible times came together to discuss books and express their love for them.

This film is very soothing and aesthetic, it inspires me a lot and I think it is a great film to watch with the whole family because it also shows the importance of family and its traditions. It is very sad that this film did not get any awards, but, still, it got glowing reviews.

Another film I watched quite recently was the sequel of the film «Dune». I didn’t like the first part of the film and decided to watch the second just to spend time with my friends. However, I enjoyed every minute of the second part, the screenplay was amazing and the whole plot was gripping. The costumes and the whole idea of the film was amazing! If you are looking for an outstanding cinematic experience, I would recommend to watch this film.The performances by the talented cast added another layer of brilliance to the film. I highly recommend watching this two remarkable pieces of cinema.

Прикрепления: 7076646.jpg (39.2 Kb) · 1860537.jpg (53.4 Kb) · 1989686.jpg (75.7 Kb) · 9930103.jpg (25.1 Kb) · 1896054.jpg (92.8 Kb) · 9496184.jpg (48.2 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Четверг, 16.05.2024, 16:45

• Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024