Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Advanced »
»
Unit 16 Free time: relaxation and leisure

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 03:55
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 16 Free time: relaxation and leisure - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 16 Free time: relaxation and leisure
Unit 16 Free time: relaxation and leisure
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 09.03.2022, 12:36 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Which of your regular activities do you find rewarding? Why?

Which of your pursuits has been particularly fruitful?

Has anything you did for pleasure also proven to be lucrative?

Have you ever done anything therapeutic?

What activities do you find calming?

Are you more of a live wire or a couch potato?

Are there any dabblers among your acquaintances? Are there any amateurs? What's the difference?

Which of these is your least favourite chore – washing your clothes or tidying your room?

How often is it usually necessary to mow a lawn / to water house plants / to feed your pets / to walk your dog?

Is there anything you are heavily into / hooked on these days?

What do you get up to at weekends? On week days?

How full is your diary, usually?

When it comes to sport, do you prefer to be a spectator or a participant?

salomiagudovaДата: Понедельник, 14.03.2022, 19:54 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
Which of your pursuits has been particularly fruitful?

I think that one of my pursuits that is generally the most fruitful is reading. Not only is it relaxing and just a good way to spend a day off (sometimes, if it’s a good book, I lock myself away for hours), but it is also helps me to grow. I read mostly fiction and though I personally know some people that who genuinely believe that reading fiction is a waste of time, I strongly disagree. Fiction helps you to be more empathetic, to understand other people better. It also makes your brain work. In my case, I find reading especially beneficial because I read almost exclusively in English and so I can learn new words without much effort while being entertained. So, reading is my most fruitful pursuit because I can have a good time and work on my English simultaneously.

Peter is a DABBLER. He TAKES UP a hobby only to GO OFF it in a couple of weeks. He’s a KEEN PARTICIPANT in any activity from REWARDING and THERAPEUTIC to FRUITFUL and LUCRATIVE, and he always has a FULL DIARY. Sometimes his entire personality changes. Last month he was a LIVE WIRE and enjoyed his CHORES. His friends thought that he was positively HOOKED ON mowing the LAWN. But this month he’s a COUCH POTATO and just wants to LOCK HIMSELF AWAY in his room. Yesterday he hated art in any form but today he’s a CULTURE VULTURE and an AMATEUR artist himself. Who knows what he will GET UP TO next month…

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 27.04.2022, 01:26

valpet251Дата: Вторник, 15.03.2022, 19:04 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант

Nowadays we live in everyday stress unfortunately and it's very important to know how to reduce stress. To find the right balance between work and leisure, and to be able to relax in our free time is no easy task. Our mind, body and spirit need to take a break from time to time. There are simple things that you can do to lower your body's stress levels at the moment.
  • Listening to relaxing music
    Music is one of the best, easier, and faster ways to take our mind off our everyday worries. Create a playlist of your favourite relaxing tracks and listen before going to bed.
  • some people love meditations
    Meditation can be truly live changing. It gives your mind the time it needs to rest.
  • breathing practises
  • Walks in the nature
    To be close to nature is a deep and essential need of the human being. Go for a relaxing walk, breath the fresh air, pay attention to the smells and sounds around you,
  • Massages
    A massage shouldn’t be seen as a luxury activity, but as a natural part of your daily routine. A good massage can have a deep impact on your body and mind.
  • Reading
    Reading is one of the best ways to relax. According to recent research, even a few minutes of reading can be enough to reduce the stress levels by more than two thirds. Writing is also a highly therapeutic activity that also stimulates your imagination.
    Painting
    a way to express yourself freely. Nowadays art therapy is really popular, it is a trend in psychotherapy psychological correction based on the use of art and creativity for therapy.
  • Sports
    physical activities for people who like doing sports is a great way  to reduce stress because you can’t think about anything usually and after doing sports you are so tired that you can’t think about you problems either.

I believe each person has his to her own way to reduce stress. Some of them just want to lock themselves away for hours in their room and listen to music. It depends on a situation and on the mood.

Liza used to be a COUCH POTATO, she didn’t like to do anything but watching TV and LOCKED HERSELF AWAY for hours. Then she became a bit of a DABBLER because she didn't have one hobby, she changed them quickly because she WENT OFF them and got bored very soon. But a year ago she became a KEEN PARTICIPANT in culture and art and now she is a real CULTURE VULTURE. She says going to art galleries is a very THERAPEUTIC and CALMING activity. Also she is a SHOPAHOLIC now, so she is totally HOOKED ON shopping. It is a kind of RELAXING activity, she says. And now it is even a FRUITFUL activity because she has clients that she helps with shopping. She hopes this activity will become LUCRATIVE one day.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 00:28
  •  
    tukova0306Дата: Среда, 06.04.2022, 14:01 | Сообщение # 4
    Лейтенант
    Which of your regular activities do you find rewarding? Why?

I believe I can attribute my habit of writing daily tasks to REWARDING daily activities. For instance, every day, usually in the evening, I make a list of things that I will have to do the next day. And if I didn't have time to do something due to some circumstances, I just re-write this task to my new to-do list. I feel that although it is a TIME-CONSUMING activity, it is very FRUITFUL. Since you have the opportunity to see before your eyes on the list all the tasks for this day. It's like a kind of map in front of you, where the most important tasks are written on top. And it's also very nice to tick off the completed tasks. And I can add that writing to do list is a THERAPEUTIC activity for me. It makes me feel calmer and maybe even more confident. Because I am sure that everything on the list I will do and it doesn't matter if it is today or tomorrow. I am sure that the task will be completed. And it also kind of disciplines me.

• If someone asks me what I will GET UP TO in the summer, I will answer that I'm going to sleep all day.
  • Nowadays, young people are HOOKED ON computer games, which is very upsetting.
  • It is very often when young children ARE INTO some kind of activity and then they just quickly GO OFF it.
  • In order to be accepted as one of their own you need to be a KEEN PARTICIPANT in all their activities.
  • Due to heavy workload my DIARY’S FULL until next month.
  • If I get very tired, I just LOCK MYSELF AWAY in a room and listen to music.
  • I have been feeling like a COUCH POTATO lately, I use my LEISURE time not to do CHORES but to do useless things.
  • During the lesson, Sergey explained the difference between an AMATEUR and a DABBLER and I really liked his explanation.
  • I would never think that knitting could be a LUCRATIVE PURSUIT.
  • His APPRECIATIVE look had a RELAXING effect on me.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Среда, 27.04.2022, 23:07
  •  
    7109633Дата: Четверг, 07.04.2022, 17:09 | Сообщение # 5
    Лейтенант

I guess that everyone has something which is relaxing and I am not an exception.
    I can’t call myself an absolute couch potato so when I am nervous I prefer to take a walk. Fresh air and noise from my ear pods make me feel better.
    I tend to make as many notes as possible and this habit I may call rewarding. At the same time it helps me to calm down and my chaotic thoughts get structured. I'm really into it as it also gives me some sense of satisfaction and control when I know what I should do in the near future.
    Music accompanies me everywhere, I can’t live without it. I'd say that it has a therapeutic effect on me. So to my mind, the best way to calm down is to turn on your favorite playlist and just listen to it.

Today’s hot topic on LUCRATIVE art is NFT or a digital canvas which belongs only to you. Hard to say how it can be in the era of the Internet, but that is not the main problem. The real question is why most of them don’t look like TIME-CONSUMING works, but badly made paintings of an AMATEUR without any skills. It is
    ambiguous yet FRUITFUL way of earning money, but it is unlikely that any real CULTURE VULTURE would want to buy one such drawing. Real artists work so intensively that their activity looks more like a CHORE, but they do it as they are KEEN PARTICIPANTS of their interests. Making an art work is not for DABBLERS, it is for those who ARE totally INTO it.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 16:10

danil_naydenovДата: Пятница, 08.04.2022, 13:09 | Сообщение # 6
    Лейтенант
    Are you more of a livewire or a couch potato?

I was a great dabbler since my schooldays. I used to go off any club I was in, because I was just losing interest. I wasn’t just a couch potato though, sitting and doing nothing, but I haven’t had didn't have a real hobby for a long time. For some reason I just wasn’t into anything, be it studying, creativity or anything else. And I still have this feature, since I am more of a slow person and I rarely get hooked on anything, though now I can be much easier engaged in activity. Since I grew older, I began to take interest in art, music, literature etc., though I am far from being a culture vulture.

I took up the piano four and a half months ago, and I’d say it’s quite THERAPEUTIC. I have my electronic keyboard at home, so I can practice whenever I like, and it turned out to be quite RELAXING and CALMING. And it’s not very TIME-CONSUMING either, an hour every day is enough to see real progress on in the long run. Of course, it will never be LUCRATIVE for me, since I am an AMATEUR and always will be, but it’s a very nice hobby to have, since now I can actually learn to play pieces of music that I always loved. The fact that I do it on my own without taking any lessons and can see real progress in my reading sheet music and playing is extremely REWARDING. I was a real DABBLER a couple of years ago, so I was quite insecure about buying a keyboard, not to mention my numerous failed attempts to learn the guitar. But it turned out rather FRUITFUL.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 27.04.2022, 11:06

zhovtyak1441Дата: Пятница, 08.04.2022, 22:38 | Сообщение # 7
    Лейтенант
    Is there anything you are heavily into / hooked on these days?

I think, I am.  Six months ago I found that I started to spend my time really fruitful after yoga classes. So now I can say that I'm a little yogaholic))
    This practicing are really relaxing and therapeutic so I can say for sure that I am totally hooked on it.

I think that each of us have the has a favorite activity. It could be something THERAPEUTIC like swimming and yoga or LUCRATIVE like selling goods. We should find an activity which will bring to us lots of joy and that activity could be your future job. But it's not really suitable for DABBLERS. But sometimes a hobby remains a hobby and is combined with the main job. You can be a CULTURE VULTERE  VULTURE and visit lots of cultural events, be an AMATEUR in sports or to be a COUCH POTATO (but it's not great).
    The main thing is to be HOOKED ON something, have a FULL DIARY and to be a KEEN PARTICIPANTS in different activities.

(corrected)
    I think that each of us has a favorite activity. It could be something THERAPEUTIC like swimming and yoga or LUCRATIVE like selling goods. We should find an activity which will bring to us lots of joy and that activity could be your future job. But it's not really suitable for DABBLERS. But sometimes a hobby remains a hobby and is combined with the main job. You can be a CULTURE VULTURE and visit lots of cultural events, be an AMATEUR in sports or to be a COUCH POTATO (but it's not great).
    The main thing is to be HOOKED ON something, have a FULL DIARY and to be a KEEN PARTICIPANTS in different activities.

Сообщение отредактировал zhovtyak1441 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 23:23

dolysovacomДата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 11:55 | Сообщение # 8
    Лейтенант
    Which of your regular activities do you find rewarding? Why? When it comes to sport, do you prefer to be a spectator or a participant?

I have found the perfect activity for myself. I’m talking about horse riding. It’s REWARDING, because communication with such kind and wonderful animals like horses gives me a lot of positive experience. I can call it FRUITFUL, because when I do horse riding as often as possible, it produces good results. In this case I become more patient, more restrained, more focused. And that’s why this activity is RELAXING and CALMING. When I communicate with horses, I learn from them calmness, I learn to understand these beautiful animals and nature and it reduces stress, gives a peaceful feeling. Moreover, it takes a long time to practice so it’s also TIME-CONSUMING. I GET UP TO this every weekend. So, as you see, I’m totally HOOKED ON horse riding. So, when it comes to sport, I prefer to be a PARTICIPANT. And I always have a pretty FULL DAIRY because it’s extremely important for me to be a KEEN PARTICIPANT in different activities.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Суббота, 09.04.2022, 11:56

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:19 | Сообщение # 9
    Подполковник
    Stress is may cause serious problems with physical and mental health. That`s why it`s necessary to have an ability to reduce it. Somebody prefers calming activities such as reading, listening to music, meditation etc. Others may give their preference to therapeutic hobbies such as gardening, yoga or jogging. All these activities may help one person but be useless to another and it`s ok because everybody has their own way to reduce stress. As for me, I prefer weightlifting. Maybe, it`s not as calming as meditation and not as therapeutic as yoga but it helps me. When I leave the gym after a hard training, I feel myself relaxed and calm. I wouldn`t say that I`m hooked on weightlifting I may also do some others sports but what I really need is to use, to burn all this energy that stress puts on me.

I would call James a couch potato if I didn`t know a small secret of him: he`s is heavily into jogging. Every day at 5 am he runs 7 kilometers cross in the local forsaken park. But I don`t know why such energetic person as he spends the rest of the day playing computer games and watching Netflix without any concern about chores. Maybe during his daily runs he uses all his energy. Yesterday he won 5000$  in a DOTA gaming match.

[Please do not overuse capital "i"s. "I" is capitalized only as a first-person pronoun and after a full stop.]

lopatinavarvaraДата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 19:51 | Сообщение # 10
    Лейтенант

There are plenty activities that I find calming. When I was at school I used to make hand bracelets out of moulin threads. Now if I feel overworked I like to draw some abstract pics and listen to some lo-fi music. I tried to meditate because a lot of people are saying that it helps to calm down and clean your brain but it isn’t working for me. And the best thing for me that reduces stress and gives a peaceful feeling is taking a bath. I like bubble bath with aroma oils and bath salts. I may also turn on my favourite or quiet music and make yourself a delicious berry or herbal tea. So, I think that every person needs to find their own way to calm down and relax.

Сообщение отредактировал lopatinavarvara - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 18:43

zhuravleva369Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:32 | Сообщение # 11
    Лейтенант

We all need some calming and relaxing activities in our lives. For me these are yoga, swimming, reading and, the last but not least, painting. Painting or drawing helps me a lot to relax and reduce stress. Sometimes I just quickly sketch some people, animals or flowers while listening to lectures or talking to someone by phone. Sometimes I have time for painting. Most of all, I like painting beautiful girls or cartoon characters. I can paint with watercolors and gouache. I also draw with a pen or pencil. There are still stacks of my old drawings in my parents' house. I attach several of my works below.

Прикрепления: 8078448.jpg (33.7 Kb) · 2746417.jpg (71.1 Kb) · 4609589.jpg (55.8 Kb) · 7724491.jpg (43.9 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:39

bondarenkodv7Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:48 | Сообщение # 12
    Лейтенант

At a glance, gaming might seem like a boring and one-dimensional yet TIME-CONSUMING hobby that only COUCH POTATOES can enjoy, but anyone who IS INTO it begs to differ. Gaming can
    be RELAXING, with open-world projects that offer immense potential for exploration. Gaming can be THERAPEUTIC, with calming, slower-paced and meditative titles like House Flipper. Gaming can be REWARDING – we all know that sense of satisfaction after beating a difficult stage in a hardcore platformer or clutching victory from your opponents in a competitive shooter. Gaming can even be LUCRATIVE, either through the E-sports scene, where the most talented AMATEURS get picked up by
    big organizations and compete at the highest level for millions of dollars of prize money, or through streaming platforms, where people can watch you play and support you with donations if they like you.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал bondarenkodv7 - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:48

tsumskaa30Дата: Суббота, 03.12.2022, 15:41 | Сообщение # 13
    Полковник

CALMING is something peaceful, quiet and without worry, without hurried movement or noise. It can help us get rid of anger, excitement or stress. That’s why RELAXING activities are absolutely necessary for us. Each person has his/her own method to relax.

As for me, I AM really INTO embroidery. It’s THERAPEUTIC for me as my mind calms when I’m doing something mechanical with my hands. When we had our online lessons last year, it sometimes got on my nerves sitting in front of the screen all day long and I GOT UP TO embroidery during some lectures when it didn’t disturb me from my study. However, now as I have a pretty FULL DIARY, and it is TIME-CONSUMING, I try to LOCK MYSELF AWAY and do some embroidery at least once a week, for 15 minutes.

The second, more FRUITFUL, is cooking. On the one hand, it is one of the CHORES but, on the other hand, it really helps me to refresh myself and do something REWARDING. While cooking I usually listen to an audio book for our foreign literature, so this process has double benefit. That’s so RELAXING that I look forward to start cooking. I hope that I would never GO OFF this activity.

And the third thing is prayer. Nothing can be more CALMING than prayer. For example, when you have a quarrel with someone, when you’re just angry or lose your temper and then try to pray, it is almost impossible because you have to be in a calm mood to say these words. That’s why saints advised us not to quit a constant prayer. If you are praying, it’s more likely that you’re not sinning at this moment, except falling into prelest’, maybe.

Therefore, I believe it’s vital to find our own CALMING activity that we are HOOKED ON in order to live in harmony with ourselves.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 06.02.2023, 16:19

abalakinan27Дата: Среда, 01.02.2023, 13:40 | Сообщение # 14
    Полковник
    Has anything you did for pleasure also proven to be lucrative?

To mind, I have found one activity that proven to be not only pleasant but only LUCRATIVE. That is studying languages.

Of course, learning a new language is TIME-CONSUMING. But in the end it is REWARDING. Can you imagine being yourself able to communicate with an interlocutor whose mother tongue is not yours? That's FRUITFUL and REWARDING indeed. And you can make a living while teaching languages afterwards. And this work is not some kind of а CHORE. It is RELAXING and CALMING as well.  Many people now are GETTING UP TO studying languages as AMATEURS and you can make a profit from it.

As for me I'M INTO studying languages to teach others.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Суббота, 06.05.2023, 17:24

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 21:48 | Сообщение # 15
    Полковник

As a CULTURE VULTURE and a KEEN PARTICIPANT in various hobbies, I often find myself with a full diary of REWARDING and fruitful activities. Some of my favorites include THERAPEUTIC painting sessions, RELAXING yoga classes, and TIME-CONSUMING gym classes. However, I must admit that I can also be a bit of a COUCH POTATO at times, especially when it comes to tedious household chores. Despite this, I have managed to become a bit of an AMATEUR handyman, always eager to BE IN DIY projects around the house.

When I'm not busy with my various hobbies and interests, I have been known to GET UP TO a bit of shopping. Although I try to avoid becoming a SHOPAHOLIC, there's something undeniably LUCRATIVE about finding a great deal on something I've been eyeing for a while. But no matter what I'm doing, I always try to make time for activities that are CALMING and RELAXING. Whether it's taking a long walk outside or simply LOCKING AWAY my phone and getting lost in a good book, these moments of peace and quiet are essential for my mental wellbeing. I believe that striking a balance between being a dedicated, full-time PARTICIPANT in life's various activities and taking the time to unwind and relax is key to a fulfilling and happy life.

-------------------------------------

Sentences:

1.    As a CULTURE VULTURE, I enjoy visiting museums and art galleries to learn about different cultures and their artistic expressions.
    2.    My friend is a KEEN PARTICIPANT in yoga classes because she finds it both THERAPEUTIC and RELAXING.
    3.    Gardening can be a REWARDING and THERAPEUTIC activity, but it can also be TIME-CONSUMING if you want to create a beautiful garden.
    4.    Being a COUCH POTATO is not good for your mental WELLBEING. It's important to GET UP TO and engage in physical activities to maintain a healthy BALANCE.
    5.    My dad is an AMATEUR handyman who loves to fix things around the house. He finds it fulfilling to see the results of his work.
    6.    My sister is a SHOPAHOLIC who loves to buy clothes, shoes, and accessories. He
    finds it CALMING to shop and finds it difficult to stop.
    7.    Investing in stocks can be LUCRATIVE, but it can also be risky. It's important to do your research before investing.
    8.    Meditation is a CALMING and THERAPEUTIC practice that can help improve your mental wellbeing.
    9.    Sometimes, it's necessary to LOCK AWAY your phone and other distractions to focus on the task at hand.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Четверг, 04.05.2023, 20:50

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 16 Free time: relaxation and leisure
    • Страница 1 из 2
    • »
    Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024