Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Advanced »
»
Unit 12 Relationships: ups and downs

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 06:47
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 12 Relationships: ups and downs - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 12 Relationships: ups and downs
Unit 12 Relationships: ups and downs
readeralexeyДата: Вторник, 15.02.2022, 14:44 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Do you have a true friend? How long have you known each other? How do you know you are friends?

Has anyone ever been two-faced towards you? How did you discover this?

How do you treat your bitter rivals, if you have any?

Do you have a sworn enemy? If yes, is it a problem for any of you?

What allies does Russia currently have?

Do you think it is ok to be distant towards other people?

Can you say you are scrupulously honest in your dealings with others? If no, do you think it's a problem?

In which of these areas do you think complete and unswerving loyalty is indispensable: religion, love, family, friendship, spiritual guidance, citizenship, army, politics, business, dieting, academia, alma mater, pets, brands, doctors, idols... Support your view.

Is there anyone who is deeply critical of you? How do you deal with it?

Who has been your staunchest ally? Has it been helpful?

Would you agree that relationships sometimes break down because of genuine misunderstandings? Do you know any examples of this?

What can cause a rift to develop between friends? Can it be mended? Give an example.

Is there a family member you don't see eye to eye with? How do you cope?

Is there a family member you are on bad terms with? Why? Is there a way towards reconciliation?

Have you been in a relationship that eventually turned sour? What is the best strategy to deal with it?

Have you ever been in a bumpy relationship? Is it worth it?

Have you ever witnessed or been a part of a family feud? What were its causes and effects?

salomiagudovaДата: Понедельник, 21.02.2022, 20:48 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник

To be honest, I don’t see anything wrong with someone being distant towards other people. I agree that as a rule it’s much nicer when a person is friendly and always ready to talk. Who wouldn’t want to say that their classmate or colleague is a little sunshine? Well, in fact I’m sure that there are people who don’t like to be approached that much. They don’t want to be approached or, as a matter of fact, to approach others themselves. Maybe they don’t want to become anything more than casual acquaintances and aren’t ready to be friendly just for the sake of being “nice”. There’s nothing wrong with being distant towards other people in your daily life. But I do believe that it is important to have at least one close person. So, if someone has at least one good relationship and is not mean to others, then it’s ok to be distant to other people.

Sentences:

Anna and Kate’s relationship has been BUMPY. They started as mere CASUAL ACQUAINTANCES but very soon they became TRUE FRIENDS. They SAW EYE TO EYE on most things and were very SUPPORTIVE of one another. But then Jane, who was Kate’s COLLEAGUE, got jealous of their friendship and started speaking ill of Anna BEHIND HER BACK. She said that Anna was DISHONEST WITH Kate. For a moment it seemed that a RIFT was DEVELOPING between Anna and Kate and that their relationship was going to BREAK DOWN. But Jane’s hopes that Anna and Kate would become SWORN ENEMIES and would BE ON BAD TERMS didn’t come true. Anna and Kate had a long and HONEST talk and resolved their MISUNDERSTANDINGS. So, although their relationship has had ITS UPS AND DOWNS, now it’s better than ever.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 16:10

alekssander-com29Дата: Понедельник, 21.02.2022, 21:16 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник

I find this question quite controversial. It much depends on people and circumstances. The main problem with it is that our Christian faith teaches us to be always compassionate and helpful to others whether we know them or not. But sometimes it is practically wise to keep distance with some people because your closeness to them may lead to some troubles caused by misinterpreting your actions. So, for myself I figured out a solution -  to analyze people before making decisions whether to be distant to them or not.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 22:18

tukova0306Дата: Вторник, 01.03.2022, 19:18 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
Do you have a true friend? How long have you known each other? How do you know you are friends?

Nowadays, any acquaintance can be called a friend. But from my point of view, a friend is a family. I mean, this is a person who is as important to you as any other member of your family. A person for whom you can sacrifice the most valuable, whom you will not abandon and whom you truly love.
My friend and I have known each other for about 10 years. She used to live in my city and we went to the same church and saw each other every week, but then she moved and we began to see each other much less often. We don't correspond or call each other like normal friends do, but we meet about three times a year and this is the unforgettable time. When we meet we can talk all day long. I know that my friend prays for me every day and I don't need any other proof of true friendship. And from my point of view if it is real friendship, then it is eternal and it does not require proof.

AUDIO

As we all know relationships have their UPS and DOWNS.
But sometimes a RIFT can be developed between two people and we can even SPLIT UP because of GENUINE MISUNDERSTANDING. It's frightening that yesterday's ALLIES and friends can become BITTER RIVALS. The person you thought was the STAUNCHEST friend turned out to be an INSINCERE enemy.

• DISCORDS in the family can turn into a FAMILY FEUD.
  • If a husband and wife are in a BAD RELATIONSHIP, this will lead to a BROKEN HOME.
  • Very often teenagers and their parents DONT SEE EYE TO EYE on most things.
  • I expected COMPLETE AND UNWAVERING LOYALTY from my best friend and I was shocked when I found out that he was so DEEPLY CRITICAL OF me and DISLOYAL TO ME on a number of occasions.  And since then I decided to be DISTANT TOWARDS him. For me, he is just a CASUAL ACQUAINTANCE, since a real friend will not behave like that and especially will not say bad things BEHIND YOUR BACK.
  • I realized that this person was TWO-FACED TOWARDS me but it was too late.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Среда, 27.04.2022, 20:15
  •  
    dolysovacomДата: Среда, 02.03.2022, 20:08 | Сообщение # 5
    Лейтенант

I can say with confidence that I have a true friend. We have known each other for two years, but during the first year we hardly talked. We only saw each other in the same company for a while, but we never got close. After a year, common problems brought us together. We began to communicate a lot and then couldn't live a day without each other.
    Friendship for me is when I am not afraid to speak my thoughts. It is vital for your friend to be honest and truthful. And it means that your friend doesn't always have to tell good things about you, but sometimes can criticize you. And the main thing is that a friend does not envy, but is happy for you.

Sentences

I realized that this person is a true friend because our friendship has passed many tests. And now we are very SUPPORTIVE of each other and LOYAL despite our faults, and never SPEAK ILL OF EACH OTHER BEHIND each other's  BACKS. And we see EYE TO EYE on most things.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Суббота, 09.04.2022, 10:44

danil_naydenovДата: Пятница, 04.03.2022, 13:48 | Сообщение # 6
    Лейтенант
    What can cause a rift to develop between friends? Can it be mended? Give an example.

Of course, the main thing in friendship is LOYALTY. A TRUE FRIEND will never speak ill about you BEHIND YOUR BACK, and will never be TWO-FACED towards you. In my opinion, DISHONESTY and DISLOYALTY are the most dangerous things that can cause a rift between you and your friend. Such thing as DISRESPECT may also cause troubles in friendship, but it can be fixed mush easier than things mentioned above. I believe that if a person tells you great lies, he can't be considered your friend at all, because a friend by my definition is a person you can completely trust. Of course, there may be some petty lies between you, but if you have a really good friend, these lies will never be meant to harm you, and vice versa. As for mending of a possible rift between you and your friend, everything is possible, if there is abovementioned COMPLETE AND UNSWERVING LOYALTY between you.

valpet251Дата: Среда, 16.03.2022, 08:14 | Сообщение # 7
    Лейтенант

I have a true friend. We have known each other for eleven years. We became best friends when I changed school and came to the class where she was studying. For me true friendship requires many things. First of all, it is a feeling of safety in relationships. When you are not afraid to express your feelings.  You expect loyalty from you friend, you should not speak of your friends behind her or his back. True friendship is supportive, honest and respectful. When we were at school we used to talk to each other  every day, my friend didn’t have mobile phone, we couldn’t chat so we called each other every evening. Of course now we communicate less often but still we try to keep in touch every day. For me true friendship is measured not in time you spend together but in attitude to each other. And for me my friend is more than just a friend, she is a family member and all my family feels the same. Of course we had difficulties and even now have sometimes. We had misunderstandings, jealousy in the past. We had lot of discord in many questions some years ago. But then we just both understand that the most important thing in friendship is love. We all are different and your friend should not have the same character and the same view on life. It is important to accept the person as he is. And if you love each other you will overcome all the difficulties.

Liza and Jane are more than mere CASUAL ACQUAINTANCES, they are TRUE FRIENDS. They try never to speak BEHIND THEIR BACKS. They are LOYAL,  SUPPORTIVE, RESPECTFUL with each other. There is no place for DISHONESTY and DISRESPECT in their relationship. They are not TWO-FACED TOWARDS each other. But had some MISUNDERSTANDINGS. A RIFT DEVELOPED between them several years ago, when there was a lot of DISCORD in their relationship and they DIDN’T SEE EYE TO EYE on many things. But it’s normal to have UPS AND DOWNS.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 00:12

zhuravleva369Дата: Четверг, 17.03.2022, 01:38 | Сообщение # 8
    Лейтенант
    Is there a family member you don't see eye to eye with? How do you cope?

Truth be told, I DON'T SEE EYE TO EYE with everyone in my family. There are some things on which we have similar point of view and some things we don't see eye to eye or even have some DISCORD in. For example, my dad and I have different political views, although we have always been RESPECTFUL to each other. I have different views on church dress code with my mother, but she's never been rude to me because of this. Moreover, it is important to be TRUTHFUL and not to be DISTANT TOWARDS your loved ones. That is the main advice, which can help to cope with all the arguments, controversial issues and GENUINE MISUNDERSTANDINGS. Thank to these things we have never had A FAMILY FEUD.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 22:12

7109633Дата: Четверг, 07.04.2022, 16:54 | Сообщение # 9
    Лейтенант
    Have you ever witnessed or been a part of a family feud? What were its causes and effects?

Yes, I have witnessed a part of a family feud. Julia, a friend of mine, has a difficult relationship with her aunt. It seems to me that everything started from misunderstanding, but like the snowball their relationship was getting worse and worse. One side considers my friend as a dishonest person and a disrespectful one because she didn’t appreciate her aunt's worries and efforts while she took care of Julia. At the same time Julia thought that it was her aunt who was deeply critical of her, everything she’d done was wrong in her aunt's eyes. Her aunt was unsupportive, she disliked that Julia did sports. At the beginning there was just a topic on which they didn't see eye to eye with each other, but it ended with the fact that Julia has been distant towards aunt for many years and now they don’t talk any more.

Run away from a job where they promise you that you will be A TRUE FRIENDS with everyone. When they say that they expect you to be A STAUNCHEST ALLY at work but omit the fact how CRITICAL they may be to all things. They expect COMPLETE AND UNSWERVING LOYALTY from workers, but do they ensure them that there will be consequences for those who are DISHONEST WITH their colleagues? It is actually fine if you are DISTANT TOWARDS the people you work with. Being CASUAL ACQUAINTANCES doesn’t mean you have any kind of DISCORD between each other. So those who proclaim too special attitude to work usually tend to be TWO-FACED TOWARDS their recruits.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 16:14

bondarenkodv7Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 21:51 | Сообщение # 10
    Лейтенант
    Wall Street may look like a civilized place from the outside, but once you get inside you realize it’s a modern day jungle, where LOYALTY and HONESTY don’t mean anything and everyone is out for themselves. Your trusted BUSINESS PARTNERS can become your BITTER RIVALS in a heartbeat if they can increase their profits along the way. It’s better to think that everyone’s TWO-FACED TOWARDS you because they will be if it benefits them. People will look like they’re SUPPORTIVE and RESPECTFUL but all that is just a show to get what they want from you, and they very well might berate you BEHIND YOUR BACK to get something from someone else. The optimal strategy of survival in this mess is to be DISTANT TOWARDS everyone so that no emotional connection can be used against you. Remember, your only real ALLY is your money, since it is physically incapable of betrayal.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал bondarenkodv7 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 16:29

vernik04Дата: Суббота, 12.11.2022, 17:00 | Сообщение # 11
    Подполковник
    Do you have a truefriend? How long have you known each other? How do you know you are friends?

I’m lucky to have a TRUE FRIEND. Her name is Ulyana. We’ve known each other for 6 years. We met in ninth grade when I just entered a new school. We didn’t like each other at the beginning but then we got to know each other closer and she became my friend, a true one. Before I
    returned to my old school the following year, we were INSEPARABLE. I know that she’s LOYAL TO me and she never SPEAKS ILL OF me BEHIND MY BACK. We respect and support each other very much, I’m ALWAYS THERE FOR her and so she is for me. She’s never CRITICAL OF me but she’s completely HONEST. She’s TRUSTWORTHY so I can tell her about the most intimate moments of my life. Usually we don’t quarrel but if we do, we don’t nurse a grievance, we talk to each other about things that hurt us and try to reach compromises. For example, if we agreed to meet and then she couldn’t make it because she was tired, I do not resent because I try to be an understanding person and I know she would do the same for me.
    Moreover, we love spending time together because we are comfortable with each other, we have a lot in common and she likes my jokes, that is very important to me.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Суббота, 12.11.2022, 17:11

tsumskaa30Дата: Воскресенье, 13.11.2022, 14:05 | Сообщение # 12
    Полковник

This question is not that easy because the word DISTANT has different meanings. The first one is “not friendly”. In this case it is obvious that being distant is not a polite choice. It is pleasant to see a person who behaves in a friendly way and shows RESPECT to his/her interlocutor.

However, the second meaning of this word is “not wanting a close relationship with somebody”. I suppose that it is something more than just cold and morose. For example, we can have many CASUAL ACQUAINTANCES, COLLEAGUES and BUSINESS PARTNERS, but only several TRUE FRIENDS.

I believe that it is not right to be SCRUPULOUSLY HONEST in terms of telling everything about our personal life to everybody. We may expect COMPLETE AND UNSWERVING LOYALTY from our ALLIES. If fact, they may really be TRUTHFUL and SUPPORTIVE. But our nature is sinful and quite often we become jealous as we can’t be always cheerful when our friends are happy especially when there are problems in our own lives. For instance, one friend has a family or a great career but another one only longs for it.

It can DEVELOP A RIFT between two friend and they may become SWORN ENEMIES at once. It is strange but they may look as if they still SEE EYE TO EYE but in fact their relationships have TURNED SOUR.

That’s why I suppose that being DISTANT TOWARDS others may be beneficial. We shouldn’t tempt our neighbours and make them be TWO-FACED TOWARDS us.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 06.02.2023, 16:11

abalakinan27Дата: Среда, 01.02.2023, 13:53 | Сообщение # 13
    Полковник
    Has anyone ever been two-faced towards you? How did you discover this?

Unfortunately, I faced such unpleasant experience in my life. But perhaps it happened to help me cherish and appreciate those LOYAL ones in the future and think of them as a real gift from God.

One friend of mine who I considered to be a TRUE FRIEND not a CASUAL ACQUAINTANCE SPOKE ILL BEHIND MY BACK. It turned out that she had been TWO-FACED TOWARDS me for some time. I discovered it by some curious chance. Some friends of mine told me that she had behaved in a DISLOYAL way towards me.
    I was confused  when she proposed me to become friends again. Because of the RIFT having developed between us I wasn't ready to have BUMPY RELATIONSHIPS.
    We didn't become ARCH RIVALS since that time but it was unacceptable for me to continue such relationships without being SCRUPULOUSLY HONEST with each other. It had no sense for me. Because for friendship COMPLETE AND UNSWERVING LOYALTY is indispensable.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Суббота, 06.05.2023, 17:07

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 21:52 | Сообщение # 14
    Полковник

As I reflect on my relationships with others, I realize that LOYALTY is one of the most important qualities I value in both my TRUE FRIENDS and ACQUAINTANCES. I deeply appreciate those who are SUPPORTIVE and TRUTHFUL towards me, even if it means being DEEPLY CRITICAL of me at times. I try to be RESPECTFUL and SCRUPULOUSLY HONEST with my ALLIES, PARTNERS, and COLLEAGUES, but I am DEEPLY CRITICAL of those who are TWO-FACED TOWARDS others or are not TRUTHFUL BEHIND THEIR BACKS. I have experienced GENUINE MISUNDERSTANDINGS with some, and although it may lead to TEMPORARY DISCORD or a RIFT, I believe it is important to address the issues and work towards resolving them. Unfortunately, I have also had to deal with SWORN ENEMIES and ARCH RIVALS, which has led to BUMPY RELATIONSHIPS or even a SPLIT-UP. Sometimes, it is simply a matter of not SEEING EYE TO EYE or being DISTANT TOWARDS one another. However, when someone has been ON BAD TERMS with me, I try to BREAK DOWN the barriers and find a way to make amends. I believe that while relationships with others can be challenging and even painful at times, it is essential to prioritize LOYALTY, RESPECT, HONESTY, and SUPPORT. Despite our differences or disagreements, it is important to try and find common ground and work towards resolving any issues that may arise. Ultimately, GENUINE FRIENDSHIPS and RELATIONSHIPS can be one of the most rewarding aspects of life, and I am grateful for those who have been TRUTHFUL and SUPPORTIVE of me throughout my journey. As for the question of whether it is okay to be DISTANT TOWARDS other people, I believe that it depends on the situation.

----------

Sentences:

•When it comes to building lasting relationships, LOYALTY is key, whether it's with TRUE FRIENDS or mere ACQUAINTANCES.
    •The best kind of relationships are those where both parties are SUPPORTIVE, TRUTHFUL, and DEEPLY CRITICAL when necessary.
    •It's important to be RESPECTFUL and SCRUPULOUSLY HONEST with your ALLIES, PARTNERS, and COLLEAGUES in order to build strong and trustworthy relationships.
    •Beware of people who are TWO-FACED and say one thing to your face and another TRUTHFUL thing behind your back.
    •Sometimes there can be GENUINE MISUNDERSTANDINGS that lead to TEMPORARY DISCORD or even a RIFT in relationships, but it's important to address them and work towards resolution in order to avoid being ON BAD TERMS or experiencing a SPLIT-UP.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Четверг, 04.05.2023, 20:33

anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 14:50 | Сообщение # 15
    Подполковник

I can state that it is not particularly healthy to be completely DISTANT or isolated from other people. Human beings are social creatures by nature, and social interactions play an important role in our well-being.

While it is perfectly normal to have moments where we need to step back from socializing or to prioritize our own needs over others', it is not recommended to consistently distance ourselves from others for prolonged periods of time. This can lead to feelings of loneliness, depression, and other negative consequences.

That being said, everyone has different social needs, and it is important to recognize and respect these differences. Some people may need more time alone, while others thrive on being around others. Ultimately, finding a balance between social interaction and personal space is key to maintaining healthy social connections and overall wellbeing.

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 12 Relationships: ups and downs
    • Страница 1 из 2
    • »
    Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024