Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Advanced »
»
Unit 14 Negative feelings

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 04:54
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 14 Negative feelings - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 14 Negative feelings
Unit 14 Negative feelings
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 13.02.2022, 23:25 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Are there things you can say you loathe doing?

Are there ideas or things that you find abhorrent? Why?

Have you ever felt an instant antipathy to someone?

Is there anyone you are antipathetic towards? Is it a problem for you? For the person in question?

Do you have a pet aversion? If so, what is it?

Are there things you are not averse to that you know other people treat with moral suspicion?

Have you ever been treated in a scornful way? If yes, what was the occasion?

Have you ever experienced scorn towards another person? If yes, what was the occasion?

What is a regular source of irritation for you?

What was the reason of your latest distress?

What do you consider to be alarming in the modern world / in the current affairs?

Why do you think people would be offhand with others?

Find an illustration (visual or textual) for the word "officious".

Why do you think a person would make ostentatious displays of their advantages, be pompous or pretentious?

Do you agree that there are more obnoxious people in Russia than elsewhere? If yes, why do think this be the case?

It is believed that boys tend to be sloppy, and girls fickle. Do you agree? If yes, why do you think this is? 

How would you define the difference between being nit-picking and true to tradition in Orthodoxy?

How would you define the difference between being child-like and puerile?

Describe the situation when you last felt forlorn / dejected / devastated / distraught / miserable.

What do you do / say when your friend is looking a bit down?

salomiagudovaДата: Понедельник, 28.02.2022, 16:03 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
Are there ideas or things that you find abhorrent? Why?

Of course there are ideas and things that I find abhorrent. Unfortunately, every day in our world something horrible happens. And yes, there are such things as natural disasters for which no one can be held responsible, unless we are talking about natural disasters caused by climate change but it’s a different conversation for another time. But I feel like most of evil things that happen are done by humans. There are many examples of such things which any sensible person would define as abhorrent but I won’t go into details because it’s just very sad and disturbing. But the first thing that came to my mind was cruel treatment of animals. There’s just something so awful in being cruel to creatures that can’t even speak. But I suppose that one of the things that I hate most is oppressing people for things that they can’t change, for example, the colour of their skin.

Peter has a lot of negative feelings. He has ANTIPATHY towards his neighbours and he FELT AN INSTANT AVERSION TO his new co-worker. And don’t even ask him about his PET AVERSION. He LOATHES it when people talk too loudly but people who talk too quietly IRRITATE him. And he is positively SCORNFUL of anyone who doesn’t make enough money. And the idea of helping someone is just ABHORRENT to him. Yes, he is a rather OBNOXIOUS man. Anybody who knows him thinks that he is very OFFHAND with everyone and on top of that he is PRETENTIOUS. Believe me, if you were to spend time with him, you would not be simply MISERABLE but absolutely DISTRAUGHT.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Понедельник, 28.02.2022, 16:05

lopatinavarvaraДата: Вторник, 01.03.2022, 17:09 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант
How would you define the difference between being child-like and puerile?

Being child-like means to have inner freedom, openness, to speak directly to people, to have an open-minded view of the world. Child-like behavior is a kind of genius when you see the world as new, young, mysterious and immense, without a ‘’ceiling’’. Being puerile is a kind of delay in spiritual development, a violation of consciousness. This is a refusal or inability to grow up, enjoy freedom and become a mature person. Puerile people are adult children who cannot realize that childhood has passed and adult life requires them to behave differently, more seriously and responsibly.

My neighbor is such an OBNOXIOUS woman. I feel a strong ANTIPATHY and an AVERSION to her. She is very ARROGANT and OFFICIOUS. Recently, a friend of mine met her and shared the news with her, and she called him OSTENTATIOUS, which is completely untrue. Mom says that she has no people who are close to her, so she is FORLORN and DEVASTATED. But I think she's just LOATHSOME.

Сообщение отредактировал lopatinavarvara - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 18:42

tukova0306Дата: Вторник, 01.03.2022, 19:09 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
Do you have a pet aversion? If so, what is it?

Complaints have always been my PET AVERSION. From my point of view, we have no right to complain.  Because if we don't have something that we would like to have, it's our loss and our problems. And no one is obliged to do anything for us. People who complain are weak people. We can understand their weakness and help them. But in this case, if a person initially puts himself in a position of weakness, he should understand that the attitude towards him as weak will remain forever.

Why do you think people would be offhand with others?

From my point of view, this is a matter of parenting. As I see it, attitudes to the world and people are laid in the family. The family teaches us how to communicate with others, what is permissible to do and what is not.
If a person allows himself to behave OFFHANDEDLY towards other people, then this is a miserable person. I think that a person's OSTENTATIOUS pomposity can hide his diffidence. I think that the reason for offhand behavior may be a person's desire to feel more confident.  And inside this person can be very DEVASTATED and FORLORN. The only thing we can do for such a person is just love him.

One woman entered the cafe and seeing that there was no free table looked at the waitress with ABHORRENCE and LOATHING. Taking a SCORNFUL glance at all the customers, she walked to the bar. The bartender was busy serving a customer, but a POMPOUS woman OFFHANDEDLY interrupted him and demanded to call the manager. When the manager came, he felt AN INSTANT AVERSION TO this arrogant woman, but because of his duties, he smiled sweetly. The woman MAKES VERY OSTENTATIOUS DISPLAY OF HER WEALTH  and scolded the manager that became FORLORN and DEVASTATED. At first he wanted to explain to this woman that it was necessary to book a table in advance, but then he decided to keep silence. The woman left the cafe leaving all the customers in an UTTERLY DEJECTED mood.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Среда, 27.04.2022, 22:57

danil_naydenovДата: Пятница, 04.03.2022, 13:18 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант

There are some qualities that can easily irritate me or even make me feel extreme AVERSION to one who possesses them. First of all, it's POMPOUSNESS. I get irritated by people who think much of themselves and pretend to be more than they are. After all, we all just humans, but there are people who are so immersed in their own self that they get lost in their own PRETENTIOUSNESS, and you can't even find a real person inside. That insincerity primarily to themselves, I guess, makes them suffer most, so it usually deserves nothing more than pity, but I can't help myself. I also get irritated when people behave in an OFFHAND manner, as if words or deeds of others have no significance for them. In my opinion, communicating with such people is just a waste of time, because though they may have something interesting to share with you, their manner usually prevents them from enriching their own inner world, which in turn leads to gradual spiritual and intellectual impoverishment.

Although I have some PET AVERSIONS, it’s quite hard to make me LOATHE someone. I don’t like when people are SCORNFUL to each other, but it just makes me want to get away from them. I usually get IRRITATED or just disappointed in a person. But I suffer much more from DISTRESS, ALARM and anxiety. If you are an important person of mine, I can be very FICKLE around you, because I get easily upset or worried about petty things, which others may not even notice. So, it’s easy to make me feel DOWN and DEJECTED.

Mistakes have been corrected - Д. Н.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 15:01

valpet251Дата: Вторник, 15.03.2022, 17:28 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант

Negative feeling is something we face every day, especially over the past few years. I believe each of us feels from time to time, for example, irritation (maybe it's one of the most frequently "used" feelings) or scorn, distress, alarm, especially nowadays. Due to recent events there is huge pressure on the internet and social  media, too. Lots of people are devastated, miserable. How can you cheer them up (without getting depressed yourself)?

First of all it should be said that support is a very sensitive thing,  you can easily make a person feel even worse after your words of support.You should  find out if the person you’re trying to cheer up actually wants your help, it's important to get someone's permission to cheer them up. Otherwise it might feel to them like you're uncomfortable with how they feel and just want to make it go away. The most important thing is not to devalue feelings. I believe that you should not say "don’t cry, everything will be fine, many people have such a problem". If a person wants to cry, let him cry. You need to live emotions, not keep them inside. Very often it becomes better when a person just speaks out, cries.

To cheer people up you can simply be there for them, also you can somehow distract a person. Do together with them whatever they want to do. Help your friend feel better by taking the time to do something they like to do, even if it’s playing video games. Maybe you can give some presents.

One man has  ANTIPATHY towards almost all people. He FEELS AN AVERSION to many people for some reason. He LOATHES happy people. He usually speaks with a SCORNFUL note in his voice. He is often IRRITATED and DISTRESSED by something. He is very OFFHAND with everyone. At the same time, he seems to be PUERILE, OBNOXIOUS. He is DEJECTED when something is going wrong. He always looks so MISERABLE and never seems to smile.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 00:15

7109633Дата: Четверг, 07.04.2022, 17:03 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант

Yes, there were enough cases when I was treated in a scornful way. Actually, I can’t name the exact one, but just imagine when an adult person asks for your opinion about something, you try to speak your mind. But suddenly the person becomes rageous and tells you that your point of view is nothing, you don’t understand the case and just don't have enough experience, so that your words could be taken seriously. You are wrong, and trying to prove that you do understand, you will only hear that your behavior is puerile. At first, you don’t know how to protect yourself and take things as they are. Every time you feel distressed and devastated, but then you realize that the person is simply officious and even pretentious. She or he tries to assert themselves at the expense of others and it is not your fault that your answer was criticized and thrown away.

He is so OFFHAND with everyone because as a child he was FORLORN. That’s why he always speaks so SCORNFULLY to those old men from the administration, as they tend to be PRETENTIOUS. And with the daughter of the chief manager who dresses very OSTENTATIOUSLY he had an argument the day before as she was so POMPOUS presenting her skills in programming. I don’t feel really sorry for her as it is obvious that she would work very sloppily, yet he is quite a perfectionist, even NIT-PICKING sometimes, so none of the bugs can stay unnoticed.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 16:17

dolysovacomДата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 11:14 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант

Human relationships are an incredibly complex thing. I do not always know or understand what to do in different situations. What I would do if I saw a person depressed actually depends on how close the person is to me. Personally, I prefer not to invade someone else's personal space, even if a person feels bad, it seems to me that I can only make things worse and prefer that no one invades my personal space and does not ask any questions, even if I am in a bad mood. Well, if this is my close friend, I am 1000% sure that he will not mind if I ask him, then I will try to talk to him and discuss the problem. In fact, I don't say much when a person feels depressed, because usually he talks a lot, maybe the problem is that he has no one to talk to, and when he tells me everything, he already feels better. In general, in such conversations I try to listen, give support or, conversely, express my indignation, discontent.

That man always looks FORLORN. This is because his father abandoned him as a child. He is very OFFHAND with everyone and he may be OBNOXIOUS sometimes. He has ANTIPATHY towards everything. Moreover, he LOATHES children. When he talks to them, there is a SCORNFUL note in his voice. But I don’t blame him. I just suppose that he is very distressed and I’m sorry for him.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 18:57

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:17 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник

I suppose that it is a regular situation in Public health facilities when people encounter scorn. Once or twice or even more times each person may face this problem when he/she comes to a doctor and experiences an offhand behavior. I don’t really know what the reason of the problem is but some of doctors or nurses seem like they feel antipathy towards patients.

Exactly such thing recently happened to me when I visited a dentist. I had a serious toothache but I delayed my visit to a doctor because I loathe to do it (yes it may sound very puerile but it is so). When I finally made myself to do it I instantly regretted it because the dentist I came to was exactly  of the type of doctors I`ve described earlier. When I asked her to give me a
painkiller before the procedure she granted me with an irritated what-else–do-you-want look and refused to do it. So, I got up from the chair and left the clinic.

Emily really loathed cleaning up. When she thought about the amount of dirty clothes and plates, she felt abhorrence. But everything changed when she met a person towards whom she didn`t feel antipathy. Her aversion to brushes and rags instantly disappeared and her house began to shine with cleanness.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 22:21

zhuravleva369Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 17:12 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант

When my friend is looking a bit down I try to help as much as I can. The sort of help always depends on a person I'm going to help. Some people don't like advice or instructions what to do to solve their problem. They just need you to be there and listen to them. In that case I try to show that I'm ready to listen and be with them. But some people really need a good advice so I try to say something useful. If my friend is looking just a bit down, I can try to make him laugh with some jokes or share some tasty snacks.

There are several types of people at work towards who I feel ANTIPATHY. First of all, I find very IRRITATING those who allow themselves to be SLOPPY. I think that if a person doesn't pay attention to his work it makes him OFFHAND because such attitude tells about their SCORN. However, it's no good to be NIT-PICKING either, you have to keep the balance between these two. Also I try to avoid working with big bosses, as they often turn out to be OFFICIOUS, POMPOUS and PRETENTIOUS. I LOATHE the fact that someone tells me he's better than me only because of his work position. I don't support any stereotypes about women at the workplace, but some of them can be very FICKLE and PUERILE, especially if they got their position thanks to someone's good word. The worst thing for me, however, is to face an OBNOXIOUS person as it will keep me MISERABLE and DEJECTED for the rest of the day.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 22:14

zhovtyak1441Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:38 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
-I've an instinctive AVERSION to him.
-He was AVERSE TO my dog.
-Her eyes were filled with LOATHING.
-His DISTRESS was inconsolable.
-Stop IRRITATING me with that mistake.
-How POMPOUS and stupid it sounded.
-Don't be PUERILE.
-Friends are FICKLE.
-It's hard to see a child look that DEJECTED.
- What he was saying was OBNOXIOUS.

What was the reason of your latest distress?

I was at a service. I opened the text to make it easier to follow. Some woman came up to me and started telling me to turn off my phone immediately. It was so scornful and obnoxious!
It seems to me that it is not worth making such remarks during the service. This can be done after the service, so as not to involve anyone, including yourself.

Сообщение отредактировал zhovtyak1441 - Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:55

tsumskaa30Дата: Четверг, 17.11.2022, 15:24 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
How would you define the difference between being nit-picking and true to tradition in Orthodoxy?

This is a really vital question and we as Christians should know the exact answer for it. “True to the tradition” means “sincere and loyal”. This word has a positive connotation. Whereas “NIT-PICKING” is something unpleasant, “giving too much attention to details that are not important, especially as a way of criticizing”. Moreover, the person who is nit-picking is always trying to look for slight mistakes or faults of other people. It surely may cause ANTIPATHY or even AVERSION and IRRITATION.

Therefore, if we are Christians and at the same time nit-picking, we may become someone’s PET AVERSION and cause ABHORRENCE to Church which is really dangerous. We should remember that we have no right to rebuke someone and to be POMPOUS or OBNOXIOUS.

Many newly converted Christians faced these kinds of situations when mature parishioners were SCORNFUL of them. As for me, when I was five years old, I enjoyed removing burnt candles. But, you know, many elderly women like it also. So when I was told that I shouldn’t have done it, it was a real DISTRESS for me as I was quite sensitive and I felt MISERABLE. And even now when I see that a candle should be removed, first of all I look around me to check whether there is an elderly woman whose candlestick it is, or not.

I suppose that it is nit-picking people that are like Pharisees who are “Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!” (Mt. 23:24). This statement is ALARMING and we should be careful.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 06.02.2023, 16:15

vernik04Дата: Четверг, 17.11.2022, 15:28 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник

I have a STRONG ANTIPATHY towards people who are always late. I LOATHE waiting for people. I think that people who don’t come in time for a meeting are PUERILE and SLOPPY. Also it demonstrates an OFFHAND attitude towards another person.

Moreover, I can’t stand when people try to come up with excuses although they could come on time. Such people GIVE me AN INTENSE FEELING OF IRRITATION, because I loathe dishonesty.

Someone could find me NIT-PICKING, but it’s probably because they are usually late and this doesn’t ALARM them at all.

abalakinan27Дата: Среда, 01.02.2023, 13:44 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник

A regular source of IRRITATION for me is myself,  particularly my state.

I would feel an INSTANT AVERSION TO my family members and to the closest ones when I have bad mood. In addition to it there's a feeling of being FORLORN, DEJECTED and DEVASTATED. But the first reason for being OBNOXIOUS is not having had a good sleep. Another one is meeting deadlines and having backlogs. At such times I might have annoyance and even a sense of LOATHING that would be reversed not to myself who is actually guilty but towards the others. But I should control myself not to make the others lives MISERABLE.

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 21:51 | Сообщение # 15
Полковник

When I encounter someone I have an ANTIPATHY towards, I try to keep my AVERSION in check and not let it show too much. However, if they behave in a distressing manner or exhibit traits I LOATHE such as OBNOXIOUSNESS, my ABHORRENCE and SCORN may be more difficult to conceal. I find nit-picking and fickle behavior particularly IRRITATING and SLOPPY work can also cause me Distress.

If someone close to me is feeling ALARM or DISTRESS, I do my best to be OFFHAND and supportive. I don't want to come across as PUERILE or dismissive, but at the same time, I don't want to appear overly concerned or make them feel more vulnerable.  In situations where a friend is DEJECTED or FORLORN, I know they may be DEVASTATED or DISTRAUGHT. I don't want to be insensitive or make their situation worse. I let them know I'm there for them and I'll listen if they want to talk about what's going on. I understand that sometimes people just need someone to listen and be present with them. Ultimately, when someone is DOWN or MISERABLE, showing empathy and support can go a long way. Sometimes just being there for them and offering a listening ear can make a huge difference in their day.

---------------------------------------

Sentences:

1.I felt an intense ABHORRENCE towards the politician who made insensitive comments about a tragic event.

2.Her constant complaining and OBNOXIOUSNESS was so IRRITATING that I couldn't concentrate on my work.

3.He had a clear antipathy towards anyone who disagreed with him, and his SCORN for opposing viewpoints was evident in his speech.

4.The SLOPPY work of the contractor caused me ALARM and distress when I saw how dangerous it was.

5.I could tell from her DISTRAUGHT expression that something was seriously wrong, and I offered her my EMPATHY and support during her time of DEJECTION.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Четверг, 04.05.2023, 23:13

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 14 Negative feelings
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024