Вторник, 14.05.2024, 09:07
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 08 Describing people: positive and negative qualities - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 08 Describing people: positive and negative qualities
Unit 08 Describing people: positive and negative qualities
readeralexeyДата: Вторник, 23.11.2021, 22:23 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1. Why do you think intellectual people are sometimes poor?

2. Have you ever met a shrewd person?

3. Have you ever encountered a magnetic personality?

4. Have you ever met an altruistic person?

5. Do you consider yourself to be gifted?

6. Have you ever met a sly person and fallen prey to cunning?

7. Have you grown more - or less sensitive over the years?

8. To what extent do you think being conscientious and obliging is conducive to success in life?

9. To what extent do you think being charming and outgoing is conducive to success in life?

10. To what extent do you think being opportunistic and unscrupulous is conducive to success in life?

11. Write about your best friend or favorite family member. Describe their character using words and expressions from the Unit. Why do you like this person, what makes him/her special?

12. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as resolute. Then change it in such a way that the word "stubborn" is more appropriate.
13. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as thrifty. Then change it in such a way that the word "stingy" is more appropriate.
14. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as sober. Then change it in such a way that the word "morose" is more appropriate.
15. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as principled. Then change it in such a way that the word "dogmatic" is more appropriate.
16. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as witty. Then change it in such a way that the word "brusque" is more appropriate.
17. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as tolerant. Then change it in such a way that the word "unprincipled" is more appropriate.
18. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as generous. Then change it in such a way that the word "extravagant" is more appropriate.
19. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as innocent. Then change it in such a way that the word "naive" is more appropriate.

danil_naydenovДата: Четверг, 25.11.2021, 15:20 | Сообщение # 2
Лейтенант
10. To what extent do you think being opportunistic and unscrupulous is conducive to success in life?

It depends on our definition of “success”. For some people the ultimate measure of success is how much money you have on your bank account. For such people, of course, being opportunistic and unscrupulous is the best option to achieve their goals. But, fortunately, not everyone is like that. Some prefer diligence over slyness, and I respect such people. There is nothing wrong with being shrewd though, because it can really help you succeed in your business. In general, my advice is to be obliging and altruistic, but not naive. Find trustworthy and supportive people who you can work or build relationship with, work together and you will always succeed.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Четверг, 25.11.2021, 15:20

salomiagudovaДата: Вторник, 08.02.2022, 16:04 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник
12. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as resolute. Then change it in such a way that the word "stubborn" is more appropriate.

Quite often, depending on the context, the same character trait can be viewed as positive or negative. For example, in some situations determination can be good and in others not so. Let’s imagine that a person has decided to quit smoking. A couple of days go by and they just crave that cigarette but they don’t succumb to this desire because they know that in a long run their quitting smoking will make them healthier. So we would call that person resolute.

Now let’s imagine that a teenager doesn’t have the best relationship with their parents. They argue all the time. The parents are very specific about their negative feelings about smoking. And so the teenager starts smoking on purpose and won’t stop no matter what just for the sake of being annoying. That’s an example of someone being stubborn.

Sentences:

Peter and James are best friends but they couldn’t be more different. Peter is a BORN LEADER and has a MAGNETIC PERSONALITY. You will always notice him in a room even if there are many people. He is CHARMING and WITTY and everyone enjoys talking to him. And although sometimes he can be TACTLESS, he is still POPULAR. But James is rather INSECURE and doesn’t like to be the centre of attention. But it doesn’t mean that he’s not GOOD COMPANY. He’s INTUITIVE and OPEN-MINDED and will never hurt you by a thoughtless remark.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Среда, 09.02.2022, 19:41

zhovtyak1441Дата: Вторник, 08.02.2022, 18:12 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
7. Have you grown more - or less sensitive over the years?

I can say that my last  two years I devoted to strengthening my psychological health and wellbeing. It was quite hard and there were periods when I could easily start to cry because of something unimportant. Now I suppose that I am in the middle of "more or less" status. I do not overreact or the opposite. I do it quite well.

AUDIO

Sentences Unit 8

I’m sociable, that is why I have a lot of friends. They are all really different. Lets start from my friend Lera. She’s a psychologist and she’s really METHODICAL  and OBLIGING. Another friend of mine is quite PLACID, EXTRAVAGANT and a little bit NAIVE. Speaking about another person - Varya - I can say that she’s an IMAGINATIVE girl, CHARMING and GENEROUS. I can say that she’s really SENSITIVE and EMOTIONAL so I always try to help and support her.

Сообщение отредактировал zhovtyak1441 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 23:36

tukova0306Дата: Вторник, 08.02.2022, 21:15 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
11. Write about your best friend or favorite family member. Describe their character using words and expressions from the Unit. Why do you like this person, what makes him/her special?

I would like to tell you about my younger sister who is an amazing person. She is only 6 years old, but she is  a very SHREWD person. Her MAGNETIC personality attracts and disposes people around her.  I would say that she is so CHARMING that everyone IS DRAWN TO HER. She knows perfectly well what to say at this particular moment.  And I would say that she is CUNNING, but in a positive way. I'm sure she will never hurt anyone on purpose. She is DOGGED, RESOLUTE, INDUSTRIOUS and she always tries to use situations to her own advantage. She is so STUBBORN that if something doesn't WORK OUT FOR HER, she will continue until it does. She is UNSTINTING and METHODICAL in her decisions. (The only person who can influence her is Mom.) (One day she decided that she wanted to play the piano and since then she has been asking me to teach her almost daily.) Her character is strong and independent, despite her age, she solves all problems on her own and never complains. She is engaged in figure skating and if she fails to perform some element, she will not leave the ice until she does it perfectly.  No matter how painful or hard it is, if there is a goal, she takes it. She affects my life a lot I would say that this little girl motivates and supports me. She is a COURAGEOUS and REBELLIOUS fighter who wins every day and makes me fight for myself and with myself.

AUDIO

Sentences. Unit 8

I believe that it is very important for each of us to have a SENSIBLE person who you can always RELY UPON to make the right decision.  In some situations, a person is too OVER-ANXIOUS and OVER-EXCITED that they are unable to think SOBERLY and DECISIVELY. In this case, an ASTUTE and RESOLUTE friend is necessary.  Some CUNNING and UNPRINCIPLED people can easily deceive a NAIVE person, that this person will become DISTRUSTFUL and INSECURE.  So before you entrust a person with your problems, you need to CALM DOWN, LISTEN TO REASON, and if you don't do this, you can get even more UPSET.

Сообщение отредактировал tukova0306 - Среда, 06.04.2022, 14:27

dolysovacomДата: Среда, 16.02.2022, 20:29 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
The person who has made a great impact  on me is my elder sister. She gave me an example of how to live, with whom to communicate and how to  communicate. She often takes me on her trips even when it is a trip to her friend whom I don't know. She has achieved a lot and found her place in life thanks to her hard work. No matter how many difficulties she had, she never gave up. And I always have followed her example and tried to be like her. By the way, she graduated from this university. She studied as a philologist and learnt Italian and French.

Sentences

I can describe my sister as a FUN-LOVING, DILIGENT, independent, PLACID, INDUSTRIOUS. Sometimes she may be SELFISH and CUNNING and TACTLESS. Also she has a MAGNETIC  PERSONALITY. And she’s a terrible PERFECTIONIST. She is incredibly GENEROUS, but she will never ask for anything in return. She will always help, she worries about me, but she will never say it.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Суббота, 09.04.2022, 13:17

lopatinavarvaraДата: Вторник, 01.03.2022, 18:54 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант

I have a friend. She was born in the year of a goat [according to the Chinese calendar], but the textbook description is not exactly about her. She’s very smart, industrious, seems like she can do everything, she is supportive. Sometimes she tends to get carried away, but she’s easily drawn back into reality, metaphorically. She’s also very witty. Every time we meet, we laugh a lot, we always have something to talk about, so she is a good company. And I think that makes her special to me, we are comfortable with each other.

Sentences.

It does not happen that a person has only positive or only negative qualities. For example, I am FUN-LOVING, PLACID, OUTGOING (when I'm with my friends), but I can also be STUBBORN, IMMODERATE, and to people who do not know me well, I may seem MOROSE, TERSE or ARROGANT. But I have a friend who doesn't seem to have any negative qualities. She is always GENEROUS, OBLIGING, METHODICAL and SHREWD. I wonder how she does it.

Сообщение отредактировал lopatinavarvara - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 18:41

valpet251Дата: Пятница, 01.04.2022, 15:37 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант
Sentences

She was a member of a support circle and in one class everyone had to say good things to each other. But some of participants didn't get the task right. Mary said to Alice:
'Despite the fact that you can be SUPERFICIAL, MOROSE, EXTRAVAGANT, STUBBORN AND STINGY, you are also very SUPPORTIVE, DILIGENT, METHODICAL, OBLIGING and SHREWD.' Everyone understood that Mary is TACTLESS. However as Alice was insulted, she decided to answer in the same way, with an irony and even a mockery. She said to Mary: ' Despite the fact that you can be OPPORTUNISTIC, INSECURE, NAIVE, BRUSQUE and VERBOSE sometimes, you are PLACID, DOWN-TO-EARTH, ALTRUISTIC, FRUGAL and has a MAGNETIC PERSONALITY'.

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 00:36

7109633Дата: Четверг, 07.04.2022, 16:43 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
11. Write about your best friend or favorite family member. Describe their character using words and expressions from the Unit. Why do you like this person, what makes him/her special?

I’ve known Dasha, my best friend, since school times. Actually she is one of the people I admire a lot. At first she may give the impression of a distant  person. But once you know her better, you will come to realization that she is a strong willed person. Dasha is rather stubborn so that she follows through on the things she has started. Also she easily gets carried away when she is interested in what she is doing, for example, painting. It seems to me that she is a straightforward person and even courageous when it comes to telling the truth or speaking her mind. Yet Dasha is an open-minded and tolerant person; she will never judge you because of who you are or what views you have upon something. I'd say she is sensitive when it comes to animals, she can’t leave them without help. All these characteristics make me feel that she is the best person I’ve ever met.

Where can one find a DILIGENT, METHODICAL employee? How can one be sure whether he or she is DOWN-TO-EARTH or too SUPERFICIAL? Will one’s child make a great OBLIGING person? Or maybe you want to know whether your friend, a family member or a co-worker is SHREWD or NAÏVE person? What can show you if you are PLACID enough to be a teacher? For all those questions there is only one answer – astrology! Find an approval to your judgements of someone's TACTLESS nature or your own MAGNETIC PERSONALITY easily and 100% accurately!

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 16:18

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:03 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
I believe that over the years I`ve grown less sensitive. It seems to me that getting more down-to-earth is a usual consequence of growing up. As a person becomes older and wiser his naivety disappears and he/she grows more calm and methodical.

My friend Josh is a magnetic personality. He always catches all the attention and likes it when he`s surrounded with people.
He`s a bit superficial and extravagant but these are the parts of his charm. He tends to get carried away with any activity he finds interesting but does not risk becoming a workaholic.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 22:23

zhuravleva369Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 20:19 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
Why do you think intellectual people are sometimes poor?

I think that it is true that intellectual people can be poor sometimes. Nowadays, to be wealthy you need to not only be smart, but also be resolute and diligent person. Moreover, it is highly valued in our society if a person is good-looking, sociable and nice.
If a person is intellectual, it is not necessary that he has all the other needed qualities. Moreover, those people are usually not interested in money. New ideas, inspiration or opportunities for a good research can be much more valuable for such people.

Do you consider yourself to be gifted?

It is hard to answer this question and be impartial at the same time. I think that everyone is gifted to some extent. As for me, I've heard from different people that I'm really good at singing and writing poetry. I can't assess my own skills, but at the same time I feel that my skills are better than average, although I have never trained them. So, I can say that I'm gifted. Nevertheless, I don't think that I can ever become famous for these skills.

I would like to tell you about my best friend. Her name is Alyona. I think she is a good person and she has many good qualities. First, she is an ALTRUISTIC person. She is always ready to help people. At the same time, she is a DOWN-TO-EARTH person and very PLACID. In critical case, she keeps calm and always knows what to do. She is not NAIVE, but she is SUPPORTIVE and kind at the same time. She has some bad qualities as well. Unfortunately, Alyona is a WORKAHOLIC and we meet very rarely. However, when we finally meet, we both become quite CHATTY and TALKATIVE as we have many interesting topics to discuss.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 22:27

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 04.11.2022, 15:09 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник

A pair of sweethearts are having a date in a cafe. A waiter is observing them.
The waiter asks:
- What would you like to eat? Have you decided yet?
- No, I can’t make up my mind. Pizza or a cup of tea… (The woman answers)
- Alright, I’ll decide it then. Please, we want to order soup, sushi and two cups of coffee.
- But, my darling, I don’t really fancy eating soup in the cafe.
- That’s all very good and well, but we have already ordered soup, you know. Yeah, as I said, we want to have soup, please.

The girl wonders: “How RESOLUTE and caring he is!”
The waiter thinks: “What a STUBBORN guy”.

13. Describe a situation in which a person can be characterised as thrifty. Then change it in such a way that the word "stingy" is more appropriate.

The girl suggests:
- Shall we order some sweets?

The boy continues:
- And please, don’t offer us to buy any extra ice creams, cookies, cocktails and things like that. I’m not a billionaire. I must save up in order to organise our wedding next year.

The waiter is shocked: “How might it be that this girl is still with him? He’s just STINGY, MOROSE and INFLEXIBLE”.
The girl is amazed: “He is the best in the world! So THRIFTY, SOBER and PRINCIPLED, he’s planning our future”.

The conclusion is: Love can’t be explained in terms of reason.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 06.02.2023, 16:03

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 18.04.2023, 12:20 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
Have you grown more - or less sensitive over the years?

This question has caught my eye when I spotted it. Firstly I decided to check in the dictionary whether it means the same as I had thought. And what I have found was eye-opening. Being sensitive means to have the ability of understanding the others. Talking about myself, I would say that the more bad experience you face with, the easier it becomes to understand pains of the others and being OBLIGING and SUPPORTIVE. Sometimes even it is possible to be INTUITIVE in seeing the others' troubles and pains as you had already known what it is. Perhaps growing more sensitive is natural and providential for people. Of course, egoistic features inhere in all of us: it is easier to be MATERIALISTIC, QUICK-TEMPERED and TACTLESS instead of being ALTRUISTIC, GENEROUS, CONSCIENTIOUS and PLACID. But hopefully we all should become SENSITIVE as it is our duty before God.

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 22:08 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник
Have you grown more - or less sensitive over the years?

As I reflect on my life, I can see that I have become more OPEN-MINDED and INTUITIVE over time. I used to be quite INSECURE and PERFECTIONISTIC, always striving for flawlessness and GETTING CARRIED AWAY by small imperfections. However, as I grew older, I became more comfortable with myself and my abilities, and I learned to be more OBLIGING and SUPPORTIVE of others. I used to be quite TACTLESS and sometimes even CHAUVINISTIC, but now I try to be more THOUGHTFUL and CONSIDERATE of other people's feelings. I have also become more METHODICAL and DILIGENT in my work, striving to achieve my goals in a more structured and efficient way. I have always been TALKATIVE and CHATTY, with a QUICK WIT and a MAGNETIC PERSONALITY that draws people in. However, in the past, I may have been SUPERFICIAL and DISTRUSTFUL, lacking the depth and sincerity of a true ALTRUIST. Now, I strive to be more GENEROUS and UNSTINTING in my actions, always looking for ways to help others without expecting anything in return.

----------------------

sentences:

•TACTLESS and CHAUVINISTIC behaviors can be hurtful and offensive to others, and it's important to be THOUGHTFUL and CONSIDERATE of their feelings.
•Being METHODICAL and DILIGENT in our work can lead to greater efficiency and productivity.
•Being TALKATIVE and CHATTY can be a great way to connect with others, but it's important to also listen and be attentive to their needs.
•A QUICK WIT and MAGNETIC PERSONALITY can be attractive qualities, but it's important to also have DEPTH and SINCERITY in our interactions.
•Being GENEROUS and UNSTINTING can bring joy and fulfillment to both ourselves and others.
•Being a WORKAHOLIC can lead to burnout and exhaustion, and it's important to maintain a PLACID and BALANCED lifestyle.
•Managing the STRESSES and PRESSURES of daily life can be challenging, but we can learn and grow from these experiences.
•GROWING and EVOLVING in POSITIVE WAYS can lead to becoming a BETTER PERSON and a more SUPPORTIVE MEMBER of our community.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Четверг, 27.04.2023, 23:12

anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 14:40 | Сообщение # 15
Подполковник
11. Write about your best friend or favorite family member. Describe their character using words and expressions from the Unit. Why do you like this person, what makes him/her special?

I would like to tell a little about my parents, who are absolute opposites in character. They are like ice and fire, earth and sky, rabbit and wolf.

Father: his current profession has nothing to do with military affairs, although he has two military specialties, he is military in nature.  He is sometimes INSENSITIVE, INATTENTIVE to the emotions and reactions of loved ones, rather tough and sometimes DEMANDING not really SUPPORTIVE.

I'd call him PERFECTIONIST as he never allows us to touch his stuff.  My father is also very CONSERVATIVE - he can't stand any changes in my appearance, he is STUBBORN in such things.  I’ve never seen him SELFISH and CUNNING. He might seem a little MOROSE, that’s what my friends usually say about him. But he is truly kind and GENEROUS.

Mother: my mother is a psychologist, so her profession involves high sensitivity, understanding and capturing human emotions and feelings.
She is very EMOTIONAL, AFFECTIONATE, SENSITIVE and SENTIMENTAL, she always feels if a person is mentally ill or just upset. She is so kind to people that she believes everyone, so she is sometimes NAIVE.

My parents have known each other since childhood, their families were friends.  They fell in love at university and got married when mom was 19 and dad was 21.

However, despite such a contrast in characters and behavior, they were able to carry love and respect for more than 30 years.

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 08 Describing people: positive and negative qualities
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024