[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 07 At work: careers
Unit 07 At work: careers
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 05.09.2021, 16:13 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1. How do you deal with cold calling? Why?

2. Have you ever yielded to a hard sell? Did you regret it later?

3. As a rule, do you easily part with your money?

4. Have you ever sold anything to anybody? Was it a good bargain?

5. Would you consider a career in sales? If yes, what would you rather deal in?

6. Do you ever shop around?

7. Has your / your family's purchasing power increased or decreased over the last ten years?

8. Are you loyal to any one brand? Why?

9. What do you think your niche market is going to be when you start working?

10. What are the pros and cons of a career in business? Do you personally know a successful businessman?

11. Would you rather opt for a lucrative job - or a rewarding one, with good life-work balance?

12. What would job satisfaction imply for you personally?

13. Do any of these characteristics apply to you: an achiever, resourceful, self-reliant, adventurous, ambitious, money motivated.

14. Do you know of any recent notorious takeover or a merger?

15. What is the most beneficial compromise you have ever reached?

16. What is the best way to invest money, in your opinion?

zhuravleva369Дата: Понедельник, 13.09.2021, 23:39 | Сообщение # 2
Лейтенант

My opinion about cold calling is rather strong. I claim that it is an irritating and useless way to find new clients or attract people to some product. As many people do, I just ignore them. I can press the volume button down and continue scrolling my social media, while the call still lasts. It is a pleasant feeling to ignore such companies. But sometimes I wait for someone's call and I may not know the number of that person. So, there were cases when I answered cold callings. I just politely said that I did not have time. The trick is that you need quickly hang up after these words.

dolysovacomДата: Понедельник, 13.09.2021, 23:42 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант
Truth be told, it's not easy for me to part with my money, especially when I've earned the money by myself. I'd better to shop around and find out something for lower price. But when it comes to the brand to which I'm loyal, I usually loose the ability to save money. Personally, I'm loyal to Bershka. It is a Spanish youth clothing brand owned by the Inditex Group Corporation.

Сообщение отредактировал dolysovacom - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 20:25

etenthousandg1Дата: Вторник, 14.09.2021, 02:39 | Сообщение # 4
Сержант
14. Do you know of any recent notorious takeover or a merger?

Not quite, although I am aware of a reasonably recent merger attempt that could've impacted our lives significantly had it been successful. For the longest time, the American corporate giant Walmart has been trying to get a hold in the Russian market. However, instead of opening their own chain of supermarkets here, they have been trying to buy our local companies, such as Perekrjostok and others. To my mind, they've chosen this tactic because of their experience in Germany, which I would call nothing short of bitter. They tried opening their chain there, but failed to compete with German stores because of severe cultural differences. For example, the Germans found the fact that the employees were forced to smile in an off-putting manner. Walmart soon afterwards retreated from Germany completely. They haven't had much success on the Russian soil either, there's information about the various talks, but it seems that they've never been able to secure a deal here. I hope it stays like this and Europe will continue resisting the vicious onslaught of the American monopolisers.

Зипунников С. (Потерял пароль от старого профиля)

Сообщение отредактировал etenthousandg1 - Воскресенье, 08.05.2022, 01:39

valpet251Дата: Вторник, 14.09.2021, 12:01 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант

Cold calls are an important issue in our days. They are very annoying and they are completely useless. At first, I just didn't answer unknown numbers. But there is a danger of missing an important call from school, work, a courier, family, and so on. Another way is to block these numbers, then the number of cold calls will be reduced gradually.

However there is a way out of the situation -  to install a telephone number identifier. Thus, you will see that is an advertising, an unwanted call, that is, most likely scammers or also advertising. Also you will see that it’s a call from some company, a courier service or the clinic where you are being treated. As we can see, it is not only the best way how to get rid of cold calls but also a very useful service in your everyday life.

AUDIO

Сообщение отредактировал valpet251 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 00:26

danil_naydenovДата: Среда, 15.09.2021, 21:05 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
Цитата readeralexey ()

Job satisfaction for me consists of several very important things. First of all, it's work-life balance: I don't want to spend my spare time thinking about work, deadlines or projects I need to develop. Secondly, I hate being distracted by all the red tape. I'd never have a job dealing with administration, because keeping several things at once in mind is very exhausting. I'd rather do one thing I'm good at and let others deal with paperwork. Also, I need recognition and respect for my work and my skills. It's hard to work knowing that anytime you can easily be replaced with someone else. And, of course, I'd need an appropriate salary for my work. I don't want to get money I don't deserve, but being underpaid is much worse. Of course, my 'job satisfaction bar' is set quite high, but having satisfactory job, in my opinion, is a very important thing for all of us.

salomiagudovaДата: Понедельник, 20.09.2021, 23:36 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
11. Would you rather opt for a lucrative job - or a rewarding one, with good life-work balance?

In one of his speeches Steve Jobs said: “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do” and I one hundred per cent agree with it. Yes, I know that often people don’t have much choice when it comes to their work. Sometimes you just need to provide for your family and there’s no room for thoughts about your dream job. But if you have an opportunity to look around and choose then I think you should follow Steve Jobs’ advice. I disagree that a job is something strictly for money and for anything else there are hobbies and whatnot. I believe that your work should not only bring you satisfaction but it should bring something good to the world and only when you’re passionate about what you do you can achieve those things in the long run. So I would definitely opt for a rewarding job with good life-work balance.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Понедельник, 20.09.2021, 23:39

tukova0306Дата: Среда, 20.10.2021, 18:20 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант

I am absolutely calm about cold calls because I understand that there is a person on the other end of the line for whom it is a job to make these calls and who may not really want to do this, but due to certain circumstances he must. Making cold calls is not the most pleasant job and I think many will agree with me. Therefore, I try to treat the person with respect and solidarity. Most often I listen to suggestions because I know that these employees are paid for each processed client and then I say that I'm not interested in it. And if I really don't have time, I say it politely. And one more thing, I always put these numbers on the blacklist.

7109633Дата: Суббота, 30.10.2021, 15:37 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант

For me job satisfaction implies understanding that there is a precise result of work, which even at the the smallest level but influenced something or someone's being. It is not like achieving great things, but just being able to see how your work gives fruit. Frankly speaking, that's why I like so much doing things with hands. You can see how materials transform into something entirely new. But it is not only about handwork. When you help a friend to deal with something or when you, for instance, translate an article, in the end you can see a completed picture and know that you were involved in it.

So above all, I believe, that job satisfaction is about realising that you've done something helpful or necessary. And at the same time it is about being conscious that what you are doing at the moment will give a particular result.

You know, even greater things start from smaller ones.

AUDIO

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Четверг, 25.11.2021, 18:38

lopatinavarvaraДата: Воскресенье, 14.11.2021, 13:06 | Сообщение # 10
Лейтенант
3. As a rule, do you easily part with your money?

I’m trying to be reasonable about my purchases since I don't earn a lot of money myself yet and my parents give me money most of the time. Our family has a limited income and average purchasing power. I try not to do spontaneous purchases and always think carefully about whether I need this or that product especially if it costs a lot of money. For example, recently I was looking for outerwear for the winter and I couldn't choose for a very long time because I understood that it was necessary to invest in the thing that I really like but at the same time I would often wear it. I also often look for discounted goods. So as a rule I don’t easily part with my money.

Сообщение отредактировал lopatinavarvara - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 18:36

danil_naydenovДата: Четверг, 25.11.2021, 14:02 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
Sentences. Unit 7.

I am not really fond of shopping. In fact, I hate telesales and cold calling, as well as clingy shop assistants, which are constantly trying to hard sell you stuff. In general, I always try to shop around the internet before buying something. I find a particular shop that stocks what I need and then I book it until I arrive and buy the thing. My decisions are often based on brand loyalty: I think it is better to give preference to the companies you trust.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Четверг, 25.11.2021, 15:23

bondarenkodv7Дата: Пятница, 08.04.2022, 16:43 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант

To be honest, I didn’t have a habit of shopping around until recently since I was just a teen and my purchasing power was borderline non-existent. Then I got some part-time jobs and those gave me enough spare cash to make rather substantial purchases from time to time. Those jobs, however, still weren’t very lucrative, so I had to shop around to always get the best bang for my buck.

Doing your research before the purchase is very beneficial, whether you’re trading up your smartphone, looking for a new washing machine, or trying to find a drawer of a specific color to match your wallpapers. Some people let their brand loyalty
make the choice for them but it doesn’t always end well. A big name on the box
doesn’t necessarily guarantee that there’s quality inside so I’d suggest reading customer reviews to see if that’s the case. I generally opt for companies that cater to a niche market rather than multi-market giants, because when you’re focused on a single field it’s easier to create quality products and listen to customers’ feedback.

Sometimes it’s worth taking a look at the second-hand market to get a better deal. I particularly like small scale auctions, since items there usually go under the hammer to be sold quickly, hence lower starting prices and less competition from other bidders.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал bondarenkodv7 - Пятница, 08.04.2022, 16:45

zhovtyak1441Дата: Пятница, 08.04.2022, 21:40 | Сообщение # 13
Лейтенант

I am really keen on shopping around because I always try something new so my style is changing. Nowadays lots of shops are closing due to the fact that it is impossible to price goods and clothes in a proper way. I used to buy things in certain stores and that decision was based on brand loyalty but lots of them are closed today and now I should find a good replacement or equivalent instead.

(corrected)
I am really keen on shopping around because I always try something new so my style is changing. Nowadays lots of shops are closing due to the fact that it is impossible to price goods and clothes in a proper way. I used to buy things in certain stores and that decision was based on brand loyalty but lots of them are closed today and now I should find a good replacement or equivalent instead.

Supermarkets sometimes sell bread as a LOSS LEADER to bring in customers for more expensive goods.
There were several high BIDS for the painting.
Everyone here has a lot INVESTED IN their careers.
But RED TAPE is not the only or even the main problem.
It doesn’t sound like a very viable PROPOSITION to me.
It is not necessary to be a small START-UP.
This week 14 of his paintings were put up for AUCTION.
It would not prevent COLD CALLING from being conducted by a TELESALES firm.

[Please mind your full stop punctuation in sentences! Had to be added everywhere...
]

Сообщение отредактировал zhovtyak1441 - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 23:25

alekssander-com29Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:01 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
Cold calling is a very unpleasant and irritating thing and I believe many people share my opinion. I`m used to thinking that phone calls should be treated with great deal of carefulness because they may distract the person you want to speak with or to disturb his privacy. I know how sudden they may be so I prefer not to call people without any extremely important reason.

That`s why I find so called cold calling an unacceptable thing.
Nevertheless, because of cold calling some funny situations  happen sometimes. Once I got a call from a private school that teaches English. The person who was calling really tried the hard sell and maybe for an hour I was explaining to him that I have nearly ten different English lessons a week.

My grandpa usually doesn't part with his money easily. But sometimes I think that he's a bit too trusting. He may save his
money for half a year and then spend them all in a TV shopping channel buying presents for each member of our family. 

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 22:13

7109633Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 14:25 | Сообщение # 15
Лейтенант
Sentences

Visiting supermarkets can be rather annoying because of shop assistants trying the HARD SELL on you. It’s not always like a customer is ready at the moment to PART WITH THE MONEY. A person may look for a shop that STOCKS something particular or come to see a recently advertised LOSS LEADER, not even thinking about buying it right away. It seems from time to time that all the customers are just pure PURCHASING POWER, and it is forgotten that with its workers a company must keep its face and BRAND LOYALTY. So it is better not to send a ton of e-mails or attack everyone with COLD CALLING, but PRICE goods with thought and provide a proper service.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 16:09

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 07 At work: careers
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024